Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 32 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 379,373 views. Print
347 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
March 9, 2020, 4:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Perkins
Unfortunately at the moment some people and especially the media seem more concerned about the economy, business, and the fall in the stock market.
If the outbreak is going to be as serious at some time in the near future as some are predicting,  then being an island it should be reletavely easy to contain by stoppin all flights, ferries etc coming in and going out except for essential supplies that we import.
I'm in my 70's with an underlying health problem, but to be honest all i can do is use common sense and follow what advice the medical profession give out.
After the worst bout of flu ever in January (six days in bed) im now quite wary of where i go, but, if i contract the virus and kark it, well so be it at my age you realise you cant live forever.
But i still think we are a way off having death carts on the streets pullrd by hooded men shouting "bring out yer dead".

The danger to the economy also threatens health. Stock markets are down, partly because of real world issues with supply chains being impacted. Profits are affected - affects not just the rich but everyone with a work pension. Some of it is speculation, but that’s the nature of capitalism - we’re stuck with it.  People not being able to go to work and make things means lower real incomes all round. Airlines, hotels, restaurants,  holiday companies already affected. People will lose their jobs. More unemployment means more ill health (mental and physical).

All of that lost income means less tax to spend on health and other essential services.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 3468
BenBB
March 9, 2020, 4:34pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +866
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from rancido

And that reply sadly reflects our society - more bothered about having a drink stolen than preventing the spread of disease!

It's more about the spiking element

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 81 - 3468
Ipswin
March 9, 2020, 4:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Why can't people go for a urine between drinks?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 3468
Maringer
March 9, 2020, 5:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from KingstonMariner

All of that lost income means less tax to spend on health and other essential services.

Nope. As the Bank of England has admitted, governments using their own fiat currency like the UK with Sterling don't tax and spend, they spend and then tax.

£400+ billion was spent into existence to keep the banks afloat during the financial crisis. The UK government (and other governments around the world) need to create and spend as much money as is required to stop another catastrophic crash. Even the Tories must realise that There Is No Alternative in the event of a major pandemic or serious epidemic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 3468
Garth
March 9, 2020, 5:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from mariner83

Always wondered why most you can get into by just pushing on the door, but to get out you have to physically touch the handle.  From a hygiene pov it would make sense to do it the other way round?

Or follow most modern motorway tolets, no doors just a right angle bend in the corridor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 3468
Marinerz93
March 9, 2020, 5:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Maringer

Erm, Covid-19 has already killed more than twice as many as MERS and SARS combined and it is only just getting started in many countries around the world. The figures from Italy early this week will be interesting to see considering so many died there over the weekend.

I certainly hope it isn't as severe as could be the case but there are no grounds to just wave it away as being overblown. Even disregarding the small number of otherwise healthy people who have a severe immune response, there are many others at risk.

I have mild asthma so will be more at risk than many and my wife is recuperating from surgery so what would happen to our young children if we were to get it badly? There are another few close family members (including my parents) with risk factors as well so they would be at risk if they had to look after them.

Just waving it away as a scare story when we're heading for tens of thousands of deaths around the world at the very least is a bit blasé in my opinion.

I see that they aren't changing the UK status just yet following a Cobra meeting. This may well change if the news from Italy is bad.

As usual you like to quote something but miss out the real data around your point that paints a true picture of what is really happening, stop adding to the panic and scaremongering. You did this all the time with Brexit and the sky hasn't fallen in has it.

CV19 has a kill rate of 2% of people confirmed with the virus, Factamundo.

Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) had a case fatality rate of around 10% and

Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) killed 34% of people with the virus, this is from the BMJ, all aboard the panic train choo choo.

More people have been exposed to CV19 than SARS and MERS combined and with over billion people living in China CV19 death rate compared to the other two is rookie numbers. There is a reasonable explanation as to why it has killed more, a simple fact that more people have been exposed to it.

This is not the pandemic it is made out to be, is it bad and potentially deadly yes, is it the Spanish Flu or Black plague, no. Is there need to panic buy and clear the shops out of toilet roll and hand wash no.

The vulnerable in society need the items people a clearing the shelves for and people like you are just fueling their panic with your nonsense. I went to ASDA's today with the missus, an elderly lady couldn't believe there was no toilet roll or kitchen rolls left. This panic isn't justified, like I said in another post Heart disease is the biggest killer in this country, where is the hysteria with that. I bought myself a bottle of Tom Woods rum 57%,  now this will kill any virus it comes across, cheers.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 3468
ska face
March 9, 2020, 5:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,353
Gold Stars: 824
The irony that the person adamant that it’s all scaremongering is also the person obsessed with the great replacement of the white race in Europe is not lost on me 😂
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 3468
FishOutOfWater
March 9, 2020, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mariner83

Always wondered why most you can get into by just pushing on the door, but to get out you have to physically touch the handle.  From a hygiene pov it would make sense to do it the other way round?

I did think more or less the same thing when I was in McDs on Saturday but then I thought maybe it's a "privacy" issue?

If the door opened out then it could maybe cause some embarrassment to some? Maybe not but if you could push the door open from the inside it would certainly help avoid germs left by those who aren't so clever with their personal hygiene
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 87 - 3468
pen penfras
March 9, 2020, 6:07pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -141
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Marinerz93

As usual you like to quote something but miss out the real data around your point that paints a true picture of what is really happening, stop adding to the panic and scaremongering. You did this all the time with Brexit and the sky hasn't fallen in has it.

CV19 has a kill rate of 2% of people confirmed with the virus, Factamundo.

Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) had a case fatality rate of around 10% and

Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) killed 34% of people with the virus, this is from the BMJ, all aboard the panic train choo choo.

More people have been exposed to CV19 than SARS and MERS combined and with over billion people living in China CV19 death rate compared to the other two is rookie numbers. There is a reasonable explanation as to why it has killed more, a simple fact that more people have been exposed to it.

This is not the pandemic it is made out to be, is it bad and potentially deadly yes, is it the Spanish Flu or Black plague, no. Is there need to panic buy and clear the shops out of toilet roll and hand wash no.

The vulnerable in society need the items people a clearing the shelves for and people like you are just fueling their panic with your nonsense. I went to ASDA's today with the missus, an elderly lady couldn't believe there was no toilet roll or kitchen rolls left. This panic isn't justified, like I said in another post Heart disease is the biggest killer in this country, where is the hysteria with that. I bought myself a bottle of Tom Woods rum 57%,  now this will kill any virus it comes across, cheers.

Apparently you know more than the WHO and PHE. Probably just keep your superior knowledge to yourself rather than trying to ram it down people's throat that it's all just scaremongering.

The death rate is 3.4%, 70% higher than you claim. This is according to the WHO, not a number just plucked by whatever news outlet is reporting it. Factamundo.

It is far more contagious than SARS or MERS. 3.4% of a large amount of people is much worse than 10% of a small number of people.

The death rate of Spanish flu is believed to be in the region of 2-3%, lower than CV19. The number of deaths was so large because the spread wasn't contained and so many people were infected around the world.

This isn't about a mega high death rate that has happened so far. It's about containing a disease that could potentially kill millions of people and stopping it before our health care systems are overloaded. Yes, the panic buying is ridiculous, but to nonchalantly dismiss people's fears over something that has the potential to wipe out many of us, our friends and family just puts you in the same category of ridiculousness. And as for using rum to sanitise things and drinking it as a preventative measure, probably keep things like that to yourself. I'd hate for somebody to think that that's a realistic way of protecting themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 3468
Marinerz93
March 9, 2020, 6:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ska face
The irony that the person adamant that it’s all scaremongering is also the person obsessed with the great replacement of the white race in Europe is not lost on me 😂

Are you referring to me.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 3468
347 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.