Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 383,689 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
codcheeky
March 13, 2020, 10:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Stadium
Government to announce u turn & ban large scale gatherings according to the daily telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/po.....n-makes-coronavirus/

urine up and Brewery come to mind
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 3468
HertsGTFC
March 14, 2020, 12:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
The season shouldn’t be abandoned....

Prem have big squads so when they resume they can play back to back quite easily, it just might mean games on different days more often.

The lower league will have problems if this goes on but again there is no reason after a long rest and fitness tuning why L1 and L2 can’t play say 5 games in 14 days for a relatively short period.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 3468
pen penfras
March 14, 2020, 9:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Ipswin

If I can hang on until the 60% 'herd' have had it will I a) have less chance of being infected and b) have a better chance given the lower numbers, of being hospitalised if needed?

It's both. The theory is that after you've had it, you can't catch it again. At least in the short term. That way the 60% that were exposed and survived can't catch it or pass it on, so the vulnerable people get far less exposure to the virus than if everybody mingles together immediately.

I suppose it could be contained if the whole world agreed to a 2 week shutdown, but there's absolutely no chance of that happening. Even if we did contain it, the way it spreads we'd likely have a repeat when people travel here from countries that don't take extreme measures to stop it. Herd immunity is the best answer for something that spreads this easily. I just hope people are sensible enough to actually self isolate and stay away from vulnerable people, but that actions of my in-laws makes me think there's a very blase attitude by a lot of people and they will just do what they want
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 3468
codcheeky
March 14, 2020, 10:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from pen penfras

It's both. The theory is that after you've had it, you can't catch it again. At least in the short term. That way the 60% that were exposed and survived can't catch it or pass it on, so the vulnerable people get far less exposure to the virus than if everybody mingles together immediately.

I suppose it could be contained if the whole world agreed to a 2 week shutdown, but there's absolutely no chance of that happening. Even if we did contain it, the way it spreads we'd likely have a repeat when people travel here from countries that don't take extreme measures to stop it. Herd immunity is the best answer for something that spreads this easily. I just hope people are sensible enough to actually self isolate and stay away from vulnerable people, but that actions of my in-laws makes me think there's a very blase attitude by a lot of people and they will just do what they want

Can you give an example of any virus that this has worked for without a vaccine, the Government seems to think this strategy is worth the collateral damage of the old and vunerable dying in their droves. 1% of 40 million is 400,000 the death rate in Italy is around 3%
If the government are so sure of the strategy let’s see them be up front and present their model and forecasts.  At the moment we seem to beat odds with everyone else and people are losing faith in the advice
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 3468
Maringer
March 14, 2020, 11:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,482
Gold Stars: 185
Well, the WHO certainly thinks it's a gamble. The assumption that once you've had it, you become immune, is just that - an assumption.

For me, the fact that there haven't been any reported cases in N.E. Lincs indicates there aren't all that many around. If we had a nationwide lock down right away, could probably contain it to a few hundred cases in this area. Surely that would be better and would free up resources for elsewhere? If we have to shut down the economy for a couple of months, then so be it.

I'm not taking my kids to nursery next week on the assumption that they will change tack before long. Every day a locks own is delayed will cause thousands of additional cases nationwide.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 3468
golfer
March 14, 2020, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,427
Gold Stars: 115
Several teachers and children in N.E. Lincs.are already in self isolation that I know of - so it is suddenly going to change here next week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 3468
ska face
March 14, 2020, 11:54am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,638
Gold Stars: 840
Utterly predictable attitude from a government led by a eugenicist and absolutely no thought paid to the poor fucckers in the NHS who will have to deal with tens if not hundreds of thousands of very ill people in a system already stretched to breaking point.

The entire govt should be lined up against a wall if a single person dies because of their inaction.
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 3468
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 14, 2020, 12:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ska face
Utterly predictable attitude from a government led by a eugenicist and absolutely no thought paid to the poor fucckers in the NHS who will have to deal with tens if not hundreds of thousands of very ill people in a system already stretched to breaking point.

The entire govt should be lined up against a wall if a single person dies because of their inaction.

What are you moaning about? What exactly is stopping anyone who does not agree with what the government says from sorting out their own child care to keep their kids off school and isolate the family by avoiding large crowds? You might run the risk of infecting granny but at least you will be doing what you think is right.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 3468
rancido
March 14, 2020, 12:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ska face

A completely crass and predictable comment from this poster.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 3468
ska face
March 14, 2020, 12:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,638
Gold Stars: 840

What are you moaning about? What exactly is stopping anyone who does not agree with what the government says from sorting out their own child care to keep their kids off school and isolate the family by avoiding large crowds? You might run the risk of infecting granny but at least you will be doing what you think is right.

errr having to pay the bills and put food on the table? The fact that we have an economy majorly reliant on a services and insecure employment that is forcing people to work and businesses to stay open because there is no safety net. Italy have suspended mortgage payments and household bills - our government are allowing people to die unnecessarily on the altar of the market.

And like I said, the govt appear to think that encouraging tens of thousands of people to contract a disease which requires hospital treatment in a large proportion of cases will have no impact down the line. It’s like there’s an assumption that there’s endless resource to deal with whatever comes the way of the NHS. Wrong.

I suppose if your view is that every “granny” is a worthy death to save someone a few bob then maybe that’s why the country’s on its bottom.
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.