Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FULL STEAM AHEAD...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 248 Guests

FULL STEAM AHEAD...

This thread currently has 18,177 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
February 5, 2020, 1:22am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Anyone know how much of the regeneration money can be put towards the new stadium, nowt I would imagine.

No enabling development as well as far as I can see so dead duck again if you ask me unfortunately.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 115
rancido
February 5, 2020, 8:53am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from heppy88
Why not redevelop BP one side at a time. Lets say 1 side per year for 4 years? Reach an agreement with Ramsdens for the old supermarket site for a transport / parking hub. Develop the nearby train station. With a little imagination, organisation and care everything you could want out of a new build can be achieved at BP. That area can then be regenerated.
Look, I’m all for a new state of the art, all singing, all dancing stadium. A real icon for the Town. Over the years I have written in the GT and on the fishy supporting proposed moves to Great Coates, then Peaks Parkway. But why move, accepting second best, just for the sake of it? To do it right a new stadium we can all be proud of will cost much, much more than £20 million. If an opportunity arose that we had 50 million to spend on a stadium then great. But unfortunately, we don’t.
It doesn’t matter if all links in the chain are coloured blue for the first time in the Towns history. It would only matter if we had the money.
A few people have commented that Ollie “must know something that we don’t” otherwise he would never had agreed to come. Seriously? We honestly believe the man knows of someone willing to splash tens of millions of pounds in Grimsby. The guy just wanted to get back into football management with a bigger stake in the running of a club. Not necessarily ours. Shortly before coming to us he was turned down by Bristol Rovers. There is no great conspiracy here.
I’m not being negative just for the sake of being negative. I’m just adding some realism and hopefully common sense to the debate. As I’ve written previously, we have all been here before. If we are not careful and start to make serious changes to BP, then we may end up with no stadium at all!

So many holes in this approach.
Why would Ramsden sell his site to the club when he was instrumental in nearly ruining us not that long ago?
Why spend money developing a nearby station (I assume you mean New Clee) which is would only be used for 23 occasions a year and is owned by Network Rail?
Wherever does the money come from to demolish existing stands and build new ones?
There is no guarantee that planning permission would be granted to upgrade BP. You forget that when a new ground was first proposed, many years ago it was because the club originally approached the Council about developing BP and they said that it would would be better if the club moved. There would be a string of objections as long as your arm from residents of neighboring streets to any development, especially if a move of the ground was an alternative.
There is still the problem of car parking and all the match day problems that causes.
A new ground is the only viable option and I'm sure it could be achieved with a £20 million budget. If this wasn't possible then surely the club/JF wouldn't pursue this option?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 115
Jarmo.Is.God
February 5, 2020, 8:53am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Without going through all the pages of this thread that has no doubt turn into politics, are the majority happy?

I am, no point in delaying and delaying, just get it done, stop being negative about everything!
If it was all perfect for everyone, it would be boring
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 115
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 5, 2020, 9:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Redeveloping BP is like smearing savlon on herpes. It needs more than a redevelopment. It needs restructuring massively. The transport infrastructure is terrible and the area is blocked in by housing that would negate anything resembling adequate. Unless all the properties around were purchased there is not enough space. Then, you have to think about that extra cost.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 115
Swansea_Mariner
February 5, 2020, 9:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from promotion plaice

Anyone know how much of the regeneration money can be put towards the new stadium, nowt I would imagine.

No enabling development as well as far as I can see so dead duck again if you ask me unfortunately.

For a private company maybe none but for a community stadium maybe lots depending on what the build encompasses. Build social housing into the actual stadium and we could unlock public monies for elements of the build + it reduces the overall site costs as there would be one site office, security, admin, project management that could be spread across the whole scheme not just the housing elements.

Same for building a primary school into the structure or a library, or social work family support facilities  etc. Would there be a primary school that's close to end of life nearby that could be included in the development for example?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 115
lew chaterleys lover
February 5, 2020, 9:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Without going through all the pages of this thread that has no doubt turn into politics, are the majority happy?

I am, no point in delaying and delaying, just get it done, stop being negative about everything!
If it was all perfect for everyone, it would be boring

The majority are on board. The vast majority would love it to happen. What we need is proof from the club that to coin a phrase have all their ducks in a row.

Councillor Fenty saying he wants to relocate to Freeman street is just the starting gun. It seems they are not sure who even owns the land and finance and planning arrangements will be battles ahead.

I think the new stadium will continue to be a pipe dream myself but I hope I am wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 115
Heisenberg
February 5, 2020, 9:29am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93

The majority are on board. The vast majority would love it to happen. What we need is proof from the club that to coin a phrase have all their ducks in a row.

Councillor Fenty saying he wants to relocate to Freeman street is just the starting gun. It seems they are not sure who even owns the land and finance and planning arrangements will be battles ahead.

I think the new stadium will continue to be a pipe dream myself but I hope I am wrong.

This bit is unreal to me.  How can a load of demolition happen if they don't know who owns the land the buildings were once sat on?!! I can't get my head around that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 115
Heisenberg
February 5, 2020, 9:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from arryarryarry

As did Great Coates and Peaks Parkway.

Great Coates would have indeed been great.  Not everyone was on board with that, and so much time has gone by that nowadays out of town stadiums are not looked on with so much envy, but at the time it would have been incredible.  Alas, it was not to be.  However, Freemo would tick miles more boxes than GC ever did.

Peaks Parkway was a strange one, but would still have worked in it's own way.  Freemo, though, blows it's socks off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 115
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 5, 2020, 9:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178

Do we even have any ducks?

Maybe someone needs to speak to cherry valley

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 115
lew chaterleys lover
February 5, 2020, 9:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Heisenberg

This bit is unreal to me.  How can a load of demolition happen if they don't know who owns the land the buildings were once sat on?!! I can't get my head around that.

I think that is what Philip Day said the other day. It struck me as bizarre and put doubt in my mind that there had been any serious investigation to whether the site was viable.

Nothing would surprise me but I cannot understand why the club has set themselves up for another fall if they weren't certain it could be delivered.  And that is not even thinking about finance and planning difficulties.

If a stadium was ever built, what are the council plans for the rest of Freeman street?

Probably best just to keep supporting the team and see if any progress has been made in a year's time.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FULL STEAM AHEAD...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.