Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FULL STEAM AHEAD...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 181 Guests

FULL STEAM AHEAD...

This thread currently has 18,194 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
February 3, 2020, 12:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
I think it's fair to assume that some money will need to be borrowed, hopefully at a low interest rate and hopefully not too problematic to pay off when in the new stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 115
rancido
February 3, 2020, 1:07pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96

I hope it is a big step forward but unless and until we get news of finance, detailed drawings and foundations in the ground I will reserve judgement.

I am hoping an upturn in playing fortunes and the Ollie effect might get things moving but I hope Fenty has had some confirmation from national and local governments that funding will be available or despite good intentions it will be another false dawn.

I would imagine that the  drawings from the original proposal will be resurrected with the a few tweeks to take into account the change in location.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 115
golfer
February 3, 2020, 1:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
I did a scale model in play dough of the new ground with 4 seating stands and standing in each of the 4 corners. I was hoping to let JSF have it to save money but the dog pssed on it and all 4 stands dissolved. The model was gratefully accepted by JSF but it now means that the ground will be standing only
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 115
GollyGTFC
February 3, 2020, 1:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Same question as always. Where is the money coming from?

How do you buy a house? You get a mortgage for the difference between the sale price of the house and funds you have available to you. You then repay that mortgage over X amount of years.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 115
lew chaterleys lover
February 3, 2020, 1:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

I would imagine that the  drawings from the original proposal will be resurrected with the a few tweeks to take into account the change in location.

Let's hope those tweaks don't include "squeaky's" penchant for cost cutting which leaves us with a Glanford park lookalike.

This is once in a lifetime event so let's get it right.

If it does ever get built there it would be emotional moment for many like me who spent their formative years in and around Freeman street.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 115
aldi_01
February 3, 2020, 1:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
No doubt a significant amount of borrowing will be needed, which is why it is important to get it right. Build a stadium that is user friendly, provides a good facility for sport but wider conference facilities and so on.

All I read in to the comments is Schutes wasn’t prepared to answer questions and had a different idea for the location of the ground. Fenty disagrees, and now with Holloway on board the club are pursuing freemo.

I’m sure those Roy of the rovers images will reappear now but I, like many will not hold our breath or get excited...when the first brick goes in the ground then may be it will be time to get excited.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 115
ska face
February 3, 2020, 2:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from GollyGTFC

How do you buy a house? You get a mortgage for the difference between the sale price of the house and funds you have available to you. You then repay that mortgage over X amount of years.

Ok then, now we just need to find a bank who’ll loan £20m+ to a company who are technically insolvent and have only turned a profit a handful of times in the last twenty years.

Just listened to Fenty’s chat with Burns, typically light on any detail & nice to see the blame has moved to Tom Shutes this month - looks like the council, De Freitas, NIMBYs, great crested newts, Henry Boot, B&Q and grieving relatives at the Crem can all breathe a sigh of relief.

It’s the same position as I mentioned last month and lots of people got a tiit-lip over, he’s proposing to use public funds to pay for a 10 hectare monument to a bloke with twenty million quid sat in the bank.

The idea that there are just endless pots of money sat around waiting for people to dip into and build modern day coliseums just isn’t the case. The country’s just walked away from €1bn a year that came from the European Regional Development Fund and European Social Fund, good luck replacing that.

He’s been banging on about “community” facilities for the best part of a decade now, but I can’t recall a single example of what this would constitute and how these are going to bring in any significant amount of money.  

Like I said a while back, the best hope is Boris’ Bread & Circuses fund. There could be a tie-in with the renewables sector but then where’s the community element?
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 115
marinerjase
February 3, 2020, 2:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,649
Gold Stars: 147
Eloquently put and absolutely spot on as usual

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 115
Rik e B
February 3, 2020, 2:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Without sinking into a pro versus anti EU mammary for tat we have always put in more than we get back with the odd regeneration fund monument attempting to keep us plebs fooled that we getting something from all the money we chucking away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 115
Heisenberg
February 3, 2020, 2:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from ska face

Ok then, now we just need to find a bank who’ll loan £20m+ to a company who are technically insolvent and have only turned a profit a handful of times in the last twenty years.

Just listened to Fenty’s chat with Burns, typically light on any detail & nice to see the blame has moved to Tom Shutes this month - looks like the council, De Freitas, NIMBYs, great crested newts, Henry Boot, B&Q and grieving relatives at the Crem can all breathe a sigh of relief.

It’s the same position as I mentioned last month and lots of people got a t[i]i[\i]t-lip over, he’s proposing to use public funds to pay for a 10 hectare monument to a bloke with twenty million quid sat in the bank.

The idea that there are just endless pots of money sat around waiting for people to dip into and build modern day coliseums just isn’t the case. The country’s just walked away from €1bn a year that came from the European Regional Development Fund and European Social Fund, good luck replacing that.

He’s been banging on about “community” facilities for the best part of a decade now, but I can’t recall a single example of what this would constitute and how these are going to bring in any significant amount of money.  

Like I said a while back, the best hope is Boris’ Bread & Circuses fund. There could be a tie-in with the renewables sector but then where’s the community element?

I don't want to make this into a political thread, but if we've walked away from €1b, who is putting that money in in the first place?  Is it all coming from Germany?  Or were we, as a nation, putting in more than we ever got out by propping up former communist nations, plus Ireland, Greece, Portugal etc.?  The money isn't just printed by the EU and dished out to the UK from a magic money pot as a gift!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FULL STEAM AHEAD...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.