Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FULL STEAM AHEAD...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 265 Guests

FULL STEAM AHEAD...

This thread currently has 18,179 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
February 3, 2020, 2:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A key difficulty when developments like this begin to take shape is that fundamentally, only a small percentage of a local area directly use the stadium and many can’t see the wider picture of support and projects football clubs offer.

I’ve met several people that claim that GTFC have no impact on their lives etc yet their children or grandchildren are impacted directly but the great work GTSET do and so on.

You also find that in towns like Grimsby, people are often very obtuse when it comes to redevelopment.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 115
Ipswin
February 3, 2020, 3:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I don't know about 'full steam ahead' more like 'slow ahead' but an improvement on 'full astern' I suppose

How long before 'finished with engines' (through lack of funds) I wonder?

3 to 5 years? Good grief we'll be in the Premiership by then 14000 won't be anywhere near enough

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 115
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 3, 2020, 3:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
I just hope that it's not just your usual single tier stadium that seems to be the norm. Something a bit different would be nice (though I guess it's all down to the ££££)

Something like stadio Luigi ferraris or
StadeAugusta delaine would be nice. Though, very unlikely I would think

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 115
Rik e B
February 3, 2020, 3:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from Ipswin

3 to 5 years? Good grief we'll be in the Premiership by then 14000 won't be anywhere near enough

I know that was probably partially tongue in cheek but my thoughts to a degree (maybe not quite the Prem or capacity part!), five years will have likely missed Ollie's 'ploughing' through the divisions and I'm sure he planning on get one in the bag before three!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 115
The Yard Dog
February 3, 2020, 4:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from aldi_01
A key difficulty when developments like this begin to take shape is that fundamentally, only a small percentage of a local area directly use the stadium and many can’t see the wider picture of support and projects football clubs offer.

I’ve met several people that claim that GTFC have no impact on their lives etc yet their children or grandchildren are impacted directly but the great work GTSET do and so on.

You also find that in towns like Grimsby, people are often very obtuse when it comes to redevelopment.

Incorparate a GTFC social club with its own pool, snooker and darts teams, get someone like Dock Beers involved.
With the right version, they is plenty of opportunity to generate revenue, seven days a week.
Sort out the match day catering - have a mini catering area with local businesses selling local produced grub - Youngs selling Mariners pies - Turners selling proper bacon/Lincolnshire buns, Ocean Bar selling fish & Chips, Bar-B-Que etc with a family fans zone.
Look how theYanks do it, American football lasts in total 60 minutes, but everyone is there for hours, spending money.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 115
rancido
February 3, 2020, 5:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Incorparate a GTFC social club with its own pool, snooker and darts teams, get someone like Dock Beers involved.
With the right version, they is plenty of opportunity to generate revenue, seven days a week.
Sort out the match day catering - have a mini catering area with local businesses selling local produced grub - Youngs selling Mariners pies - Turners selling proper bacon/Lincolnshire buns, Ocean Bar selling fish & Chips, Bar-B-Que etc with a family fans zone.
Look how theYanks do it, American football lasts in total 60 minutes, but everyone is there for hours, spending money.

I have been saying for ages that the catering for pies, burgers etc should be taken in house and use local suppliers, such as Turners, to provide the food.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 115
TownSNAFU5
February 3, 2020, 6:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
China has built a new hospital in just 8 days.

Assuming the new stadium takes double the forecast time, 10 years.  If we built stadiums at the same rate as the Chinese built hospitals, we could have 456 new stadiums in 10 years!

That would reduce any HT queues for the toilets, beer and food! 😀
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 115
The Yard Dog
February 3, 2020, 9:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from rancido

I have been saying for ages that the catering for pies, burgers etc should be taken in house and use local suppliers, such as Turners, to provide the food.

The easier or lazy option is currently in operation , charge someone to operate the catering inside Blundell Park, job done.

The problem with that is, GTFC have no control over the product or pricing.  I doubt even if GTFC get any extra revenue on matchday when they increase in match attentances.

Were as GTFC operated the catering, they would have control over product and pricing.  When there are higher attendances, GTFC would benefit from increased takings.

Look at Kidderminster to see what can be achieve, First consideration to go watch Town, the other Brian's pies
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 115
aldi_01
February 3, 2020, 9:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The fundamentals are far more important at this stage. Worrying about food outlets or social clubs or whatever folk won’t is not even worth the time at the moment.

Assembling a project team with a vision and clear strategy is what is needed. Ensuring infrastructure including public transport and the likes are more important, exploring ways to ensure the stadium is eco friendly, self sufficient as far as possible, understanding what is necessary in terms of medical facilities, press facilities and so on needs addressing before we start looking at where we get sausage rolls or who supplies the booze.

Someone mentioned about design...again, that will naturally come down to funding. A single tier stadium would be plenty good enough. The amount of clubs at championship and below who have two tier stands and the second tiers are closed should suggest aingle tier is more than adequate.

If we look to the continent, a smaller version of Schalke would work. Frosinone have just built a new stadium, that’s very good as is Juve (minus the second tier we wouldn’t need and the mafia building crew). Samp is a good stadium that can create a good atmosphere (away end is atrocious) but it’s old now and is definitely not a design template seemingly used anymore.

Orlando have a great set up, but again, would we look that further afield (although they spent a year trawling across Europe looking at different stadia).

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 115
craigy
February 3, 2020, 9:50pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +92
Maybe the new stadium will allow card payments to buy food.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FULL STEAM AHEAD...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.