Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FULL STEAM AHEAD...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 330 Guests

FULL STEAM AHEAD...

This thread currently has 18,184 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
heppy88
February 4, 2020, 9:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
The cost of the stadium will be considerably more than 20 million if its to be the iconic stadium we all want it to be. On the 1st November 2017 the Telegraph stated the cost of the stadium alone at Peaks Parkway was 55 million (That does not include any of the other proposed developments). Now that was over 2 years ago. So what will 20 or 30 million get us in 3 - 5 years time?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 115
Marinerz93
February 4, 2020, 10:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from The Yard Dog

The EU should build us a stadium, for destroying our fishing industry, which lead to the decline of Freemo.

Was watching the news yesterday about the EU still wants to fish our waters, as part of the deal to leave the EU. They was a interview with a dutch fisherman, fearing for his livelihood, now we are out of the EU. The EU did not give a f__k about our families livelihoods and our TOWN.

Sadly Brexit isn't going to give us a clean sweep of getting our fishing grounds back as I said in an earlier post we will still have to deal with EU, Norway and Faroe Islands, licencing should be the way forward and as others have said our fishing grounds could still be used a  bargaining chip for other more attractive deals.

The problem with the EU is that some UK government departments and government of the time were complicit in part of us being sold out however, when the UK has opposed parts of CFP, it was out voted by minority countries with an under representative vote, in other words they were given an unfair amount of EU MPs per population.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 115
heppy88
February 4, 2020, 10:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Why not redevelop BP one side at a time. Lets say 1 side per year for 4 years? Reach an agreement with Ramsdens for the old supermarket site for a transport / parking hub. Develop the nearby train station. With a little imagination, organisation and care everything you could want out of a new build can be achieved at BP. That area can then be regenerated.
Look, I’m all for a new state of the art, all singing, all dancing stadium. A real icon for the Town. Over the years I have written in the GT and on the fishy supporting proposed moves to Great Coates, then Peaks Parkway. But why move, accepting second best, just for the sake of it? To do it right a new stadium we can all be proud of will cost much, much more than £20 million. If an opportunity arose that we had 50 million to spend on a stadium then great. But unfortunately, we don’t.
It doesn’t matter if all links in the chain are coloured blue for the first time in the Towns history. It would only matter if we had the money.
A few people have commented that Ollie “must know something that we don’t” otherwise he would never had agreed to come. Seriously? We honestly believe the man knows of someone willing to splash tens of millions of pounds in Grimsby. The guy just wanted to get back into football management with a bigger stake in the running of a club. Not necessarily ours. Shortly before coming to us he was turned down by Bristol Rovers. There is no great conspiracy here.
I’m not being negative just for the sake of being negative. I’m just adding some realism and hopefully common sense to the debate. As I’ve written previously, we have all been here before. If we are not careful and start to make serious changes to BP, then we may end up with no stadium at all!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 115
Rik e B
February 4, 2020, 10:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
No.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 115
MuddyWaters
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Who’s fault will it be when the potential redevelopment funding gets swallowed up by further austerity cuts?
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 115
Heisenberg
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,035
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from heppy88
Why not redevelop BP one side at a time. Lets say 1 side per year for 4 years? Reach an agreement with Ramsdens for the old supermarket site for a transport / parking hub. Develop the nearby train station. With a little imagination, organisation and care everything you could want out of a new build can be achieved at BP. That area can then be regenerated.
Look, I’m all for a new state of the art, all singing, all dancing stadium. A real icon for the Town. Over the years I have written in the GT and on the fishy supporting proposed moves to Great Coates, then Peaks Parkway. But why move, accepting second best, just for the sake of it? To do it right a new stadium we can all be proud of will cost much, much more than £20 million. If an opportunity arose that we had 50 million to spend on a stadium then great. But unfortunately, we don’t.
It doesn’t matter if all links in the chain are coloured blue for the first time in the Towns history. It would only matter if we had the money.
A few people have commented that Ollie “must know something that we don’t” otherwise he would never had agreed to come. Seriously? We honestly believe the man knows of someone willing to splash tens of millions of pounds in Grimsby. The guy just wanted to get back into football management with a bigger stake in the running of a club. Not necessarily ours. Shortly before coming to us he was turned down by Bristol Rovers. There is no great conspiracy here.
I’m not being negative just for the sake of being negative. I’m just adding some realism and hopefully common sense to the debate. As I’ve written previously, we have all been here before. If we are not careful and start to make serious changes to BP, then we may end up with no stadium at all!

Because of the housing around all sides of BP, I don’t believe it can be redeveloped anywhere near as well as building a new ground at Freemo. Surely everyone can see that building one at Freemo would be incredible for the area?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 115
Rik e B
February 4, 2020, 10:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Redeveloping BP been gone over endlessly and its unfeasible. Freemo represents an incredible opportunity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 115
heppy88
February 4, 2020, 10:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

Because of the housing around all sides of BP, I don’t believe it can be redeveloped anywhere near as well as building a new ground at Freemo. Surely everyone can see that building one at Freemo would be incredible for the area?

I can see it, but how can we afford it? The redevelopment of BP will not produce the same results as a new stadium. But I'm sure we have a better chance of financing the redevelopment of BP than finding 30 -50 million needed for a new stadium. I'm sure many of us have been to some of the recently built stadia and found them soulless and without character. And let's not forget the bottom line is the football. As impressive as it is, Chesterfields swanky ground hasn't been working any miracles for them. I really hope I'm wrong on this. I really hope the powers that be can pull this off. But who honestly thinks they can?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 115
heppy88
February 4, 2020, 10:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B
Redeveloping BP been gone over endlessly and its unfeasible. Freemo represents an incredible opportunity.

Yes it does. But how?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 115
arryarryarry
February 5, 2020, 1:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Rik e B

As did Great Coates and Peaks Parkway.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FULL STEAM AHEAD...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.