Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many games has MJ got left.?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 280 Guests

How many games has MJ got left.?

This thread currently has 16,838 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
October 20, 2019, 7:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,978
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Davec

What happened?

Something similar to his behaviour at half-time?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 70 - 115
Northbank Mariner
October 20, 2019, 7:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Sorry, he just hasn’t progressed at all though. His loss % in league matches is still closer to Russell Slade II level than the level we should be expecting 19 months into his tenure. And these dips are constant and are almost in a cycle. A terrible run of defeats, followed by a better run of results and repeat.

The truth is he’s only won 25 of his 70 league matches in charge. That’s 35.7%. It’s simply not good enough. And he’s lost 30 league games (42.9%).

Where exactly is the improvement?

This hits the nail in the head to me.... Slade tactics was lump it to the big man and hope for the best, so what's different with Jolleys approach now?...
We looked at the Exeter result and thought, "wow, we can play football" but I honestly think he fell upon that team more by luck by having to rest his "favourites" and as soon as they were fit to do 90 minutes he slips then straight back into the side and we go on a losing streak again....
And I completely agree with Golly, we haven't really progressed, if anything we've regressed.
The only thing in MJs defence is we appear, on paper, to have more quality in the squad than before he took over, but is this squad better than the one that won at Wembley in 2016?....I don't think so...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 115
golfer
October 20, 2019, 8:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Stems from pre season. Looks good on paper but we have lacked a creative midfielder and wingers from the start. This definitely limits our options=it's there for all to see-why didn't he see it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 115
Rik e B
October 20, 2019, 8:52am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Might not have been able to get through door, and wingers seem pretty redundant nowadays as 4-4-2 suddenly deemed archaic (though very useful with less tactically astute lower league player's I'd say). Stop trying to be like the Premier League when don't have the requisite tools (I.e. players).

When was the last time we had proper wingers, or a proper winger? We've only got Max Wright as he's forced his way onto the scene due to his natural talent.

Finding a creative midfielder (with the right attitude) always going to be difficult at this level.

All that being said we should be doing better with what we have, in this moment at least.

Anyone else think Hanson, and Green, would do better as a front two in a 4-4-2? Hanson for example, would suddenly have someone to knock down to and we good have the classic big guy/little nippy guy combo.

Hanson out of form? - Ogbu can hold up also.

And Max would excel on wing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 115
MuddyWaters
October 20, 2019, 9:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Rik e B
Might not have been able to get through door, and wingers seem pretty redundant nowadays as 4-4-2 suddenly deemed archaic (though very useful with less tactically astute lower league player's I'd say). Stop trying to be like the Premier League when don't have the requisite tools (I.e. players).

When was the last time we had proper wingers, or a proper winger? We've only got Max Wright as he's forced his way onto the scene due to his natural talent.

Finding a creative midfielder (with the right attitude) always going to be difficult at this level.

All that being said we should be doing better with what we have, in this moment at least.

Anyone else think Hanson, and Green, would do better as a front two in a 4-4-2? Hanson for example, would suddenly have someone to knock down to and we good have the classic big guy/little nippy guy combo.

Hanson out of form? - Ogbu can hold up also.

And Max would excel on wing.

The 4 4 2 thing was brought up by Lincoln and Mansfield fans when we signed Green saying that he’s better in a 2 than a 3. Surely our management can work this out too? It’s easy to overcrowd us in midfield and then it becomes easy for us to criticise them too. I always liked Craig Clay but yesterday we made him look like Iniesta.

Only slight issue is that we’ve probably only got Robson, Wright and maybe Hewitt who could play wide in a 4 man midfield. Our midfield is struggling because we are trying to shoehorn three forwards into a team that isn’t creating enough for them.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 115
Hagrid
October 20, 2019, 9:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,389
Gold Stars: 534
Id like to see ogbu and hanson up top in a 4-4-2. Unfortunately we only have 1 winger. Brilliant from mr Jolley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 115
fishboyUTM
October 20, 2019, 9:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from 123614

I guess that would be why he holds a UEFA Pro Licence, the highest-level managerial qualification in association football in Europe!

I know, and it's staggering. Did they teach him to whack the ball from anywhere to the big man with no support around him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 115
grimsby pete
October 20, 2019, 10:17am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I know, and it's staggering. Did they teach him to whack the ball from anywhere to the big man with no support around him?

To obtain any top qualification you need to be fairly intelligent and able to remember what they tell you,

After you have got your piece of paper you can do what you like.

I was going to say a bit like learning to drive but if you do not follow the rules of the road you will quickly lose your licence .

Its not like that with Jolley's piece of paper he does not have to practice what he has learnt.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 115
bedders78
October 20, 2019, 10:35am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
A couple of bad performances and we lose our heads on here! The problem as far as I can see is that a good start to the season has given us false expectations that we were going to challenging the automatic places.  Not that long ago people were seriously debating Lincoln poaching Jolley.

We're a mid table team at the moment and we're in mid table probably with a mid table budget.  A good run and we could sneak into the play offs which are only 3 points away. We're better than last year and last year was better than the year before. A bit more football would be nice and another winger would be handy.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 115
GollyGTFC
October 20, 2019, 11:19am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,978
Gold Stars: 356
Some interesting statistics for those still clinging to the belief that Jolley is taking us in the right direction and we are slowly improving...

Yesterday was Jolley's 70th league match as manager.

First 35 league matches...

W 14 - D 7 - L 14 - 49 pts - 1.40 pts/game

Second 35 league matches (games from 01/01/19 on wards)...

W 11 - D 7 - L 17 - 40 pts - 1.14 pts/game

He's taking us backwards. No one can argue with that.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 79 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many games has MJ got left.?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.