Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?
Users Browsing Forum
CrannyMariner and 268 Guests

Can we talk about contracts now?

This thread currently has 32,805 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
April 29, 2018, 10:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GTFCNiles
Macca has a big offer on the table elsewhere (not Shrewsbury), Town getting back to him today with a revised deal but looks like he will be moving on, saving grace might be that his kids are settled in the area and if town can come close to keeping him with a good offer, but money talks especially in football, and given his performances you can't blame him if hes going to double his wages. His performances warrant a transfer fee so to lose him on a free for the sake of a few thousand would be poor business sense. Give this man a 3 year contract, a bit of security with a decent pay rise. He deserves it.

Bit in bold, did he personally tell you?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 211
Hagrid
April 29, 2018, 10:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,392
Gold Stars: 534
I heard it was scotland. But only hearsay
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 211
HertsGTFC
April 29, 2018, 10:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yesterday I thought he was the stand out performer out of both teams, one of which will be in the play-offs. To me, that says he's well worth another contract.

Agree it wasn't the first time that Summers has been the best player on the pitch this season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 211
Roast Em Bobby
April 29, 2018, 10:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Squinter
What about his assistant. Does he let Wilko go to bring in his own no.2 ?

Judging by his post match interview, I don't think he he will be letting Wilko go. He was praising the backroom staff and saying how important Wilko will be in helping him decide who to retain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 211
HertsGTFC
April 29, 2018, 11:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
For me as another poster says it should be "evolution not revolution" some players have looked very different under MJ in terms of performance.

A complete re-build may not necessarily be the way forward as you'll not only have to gel the players on the pitch you'll have to bond them as a squad, there appears to be a decent spirit within the dressing room ATM and some of that needs to be retained. Also the more we bring in the longer it takes so we could be signing players "last minute.com" which has hurt us in terms of quality in the last 2 years.  

However though yesterday we showed improved creativity we are not sharp enough in front of goal and do not have a natural finisher in the squad, we need at least 2 players with the quality to score goals at this level, recruiting those will not be an east task.

So keep,

Macca
Killip
Mills
RHJ
Foxy
Summers
Cardwell
Clifton
Dembelle

Not sure about Rose and Wright but as one has possibly cost us money in permit fees and the other has been out on a season long loan I'd suggest we retain them.  

Also I wouldn't have said this 6 weeks ago but I'd be trying to keep Davis and/or Collins around in some way as it appears their experience has been invaluable.

The first couple of bits of business I'd like to see is Macca on a new deal, ideally 3 years, Summers retained and us back in for Charlie Verman on a season long from Derby.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 211
cannylad68
April 29, 2018, 11:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
One thing for sure, there won't be a mass clear out, it doesn't work that way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 211
jonnyboy82
April 29, 2018, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Dont let euphoria cloud judgement as much as the players have given everything yesterday we were in this mess for a reason.

Only a few would make the cut imo and jolley has to and im sure will bring in better players.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 211
Superdan147
April 29, 2018, 11:31am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Macca - 2 year deal
Killip - release (we need a better back up)

RHJ - 2 year deal
Davies - 1 year player coach? Can cover 3 positions , good squad member
Mills - 2 year
Clarke - release but thanks for last 6 weeks
Collins - 1 year possibly
Osborne - release
Fox - 1 year
Dixon - try to move on as under contract

Dembele - activate the extra year
Wright - 1 year deal
Clifton - 2 year deal
Berrett - release
Mccalister - release
Rose - under contract and would keep
Summers - 1 year deal
Woolford - release but thanks for last 6 weeks
Kelly - under contract but look to move on
Hooper - under contract and keep (much improved last 6 weeks, still young and decent enough squad member)

Cardwell - under contract and would keep
Vernon - release
McSheffrey - release

Wouldn’t look To sign any of the loan players

For me, we would then need 7/8 players of quality. A better back up keeper (possibly season long loan) , 2 centre backs with pace. 2 central midfielders and 2 strikers

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 211
LondonMariner43
April 29, 2018, 11:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,948
Gold Stars: 64
The last few weeks have shown that players can seem terrible when badly managed.  At this level, there isn’t a big difference between the players at different ends of the league with the occasional exception of players passing through to better things.  Good man management, good coaching, belief and clear instructions on playing style can make a massive difference - as the last few weeks have shown.  The last weeks have also required a bit of character and grit and many of the players have manned up.  (Interesting that MJ gave a chance to two players that the fans thought should be playing - Clifton and McAlister.  One has become a regular and the other is back in the reserves.  Maybe he isn’t the saviour after all).

We need to retain a core of players from this season as complete clear outs rarely work.  Build on the positivity of the last few games and focus on finding a handful of quality players who will add the icing on the cake.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 211
sam gy
April 29, 2018, 11:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Find it insane that some think Summers isn’t deserving of a contract. The guy has bust a gut for us all season, improved massively and I’ve lost count how many MOM performances he gave. Even during our terrible patch, he was often the only one who shone.

I imagine Jolley would be looking to bring in some younger exciting talent, but you need experienced heads in there too.

Exciting times now anyway, looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 211
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.