Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 141 Guests

Can we talk about contracts now?

This thread currently has 32,811 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
May 1, 2018, 12:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
In respect of new players I would love to see us show a statement of intent for someone like Caolan Lavery who has shown he probaly isnt up to Championship level but at his age could be a very good player with us.
The young winger who was on loan at Lincoln, Josh(?) Ginnelly?
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 211
ginnywings
May 1, 2018, 12:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,141
Gold Stars: 548
From what i'm hearing, Clifton being here next season isn't certain. Again, we have a good young prospect on a pittance of a wage, and a certain local club have offered him over ten times what he is on here. Yet he couldn't even get a start here until Jolley came in. Macca's contract been allowed to run down. The whole club is cheapskate and short sighted. No wonder we can't attract good quality players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 211
Cloudy
May 1, 2018, 1:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from ginnywings
From what i'm hearing, Clifton being here next season isn't certain. Again, we have a good young prospect on a pittance of a wage, and a certain local club have offered him over ten times what he is on here. Yet he couldn't even get a start here until Jolley came in. Macca's contract been allowed to run down. The whole club is cheapskate and short sighted. No wonder we can't attract good quality players.

If anyone is offering Clifton £2500/3000 per week they need their heads examining! Wonder what fee they would offer?

£300k plus add ons would be a good starting point
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 211
Maringer
May 1, 2018, 1:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,515
Gold Stars: 185
Would be sad to see Clifton go but we'd get a fee for him, which would be something, I suppose.

He's done well since he got into the team, but I'm surprised there is much interest from elsewhere already. Confident and capable young midfielders probably aren't exactly commonplace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 211
forza ivano
May 1, 2018, 1:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,185
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Cloudy

If anyone is offering Clifton £2500/3000 per week they need their heads examining! Wonder what fee they would offer?

Getting that sort of transfer fee would be good business imho. Much as id like to see Clifton stay and develop he's not integral to the side and would fund up to half a dozen players ( or repay it a chunk of jfs loans! )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 211
1mickylyons
May 1, 2018, 1:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Cloudy

That fee would help rebuild a squad but look how the Bogle money was squandered and too be honest I would rather build my team with a Clifton in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 211
LocalLadGTFC
May 1, 2018, 1:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Players in the last 6 months of their contract are allowed to discuss terms with other clubs. They do not have to wait for their contract to expire. So it’s not difficult to believe at all.

To correct you, players are only allowed to discuss terms with other clubs within a month of their contract expiring. Someone mentioned Sanchez to United being an example but there was a fee agreed with him and Jon Nolan was also only on a 6 month contract hence why he was allowed to discuss terms early.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 146 - 211
ginnywings
May 1, 2018, 2:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,141
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Cloudy

Well, i maybe got a bit carried away with ten times his salary. It's actually about eight times. He is on only £180 per week apparently and has been offered £1500.

I've been hearing for a while how good a prospect he is, and that has been borne out by his appearances from what i've seen. This leads me to ask why it has taken so long for him to get a starting spot and why he is on such little money. I'm also a little taken aback that some think it's a good move to sell him on and get a fee, when we should be tying him down to a new deal, which he has more than earned. The person giving this info was not very complimentary about GTFC at all.

If a club in a higher division is willing to snatch him from us, doesn't that suggest that he is well worth fighting to keep, and isn't it symptomatic of why we never seem to progress?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 211
Abdul19
May 1, 2018, 2:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

To correct you, players are only allowed to discuss terms with other clubs within a month of their contract expiring. Someone mentioned Sanchez to United being an example but there was a fee agreed with him and Jon Nolan was also only on a 6 month contract hence why he was allowed to discuss terms early.

Yeah, the 6 months thing is for non-english clubs (like the bloke at Cambridge who's signed a deal with Hearts)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 211
headingly_mariner
May 1, 2018, 2:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,373
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

Well, i maybe got a bit carried away with ten times his salary. It's actually about eight times. He is on only £180 per week apparently and has been offered £1500.

I've been hearing for a while how good a prospect he is, and that has been borne out by his appearances from what i've seen. This leads me to ask why it has taken so long for him to get a starting spot and why he is on such little money. I'm also a little taken aback that some think it's a good move to sell him on and get a fee, when we should be tying him down to a new deal, which he has more than earned. The person giving this info was not very complimentary about GTFC at all.

If a club in a higher division is willing to snatch him from us, doesn't that suggest that he is well worth fighting to keep, and isn't it symptomatic of why we never seem to progress?

The lad is a prospect, but surely no club in our league is offering him that sort of money. That would probably make him one of our highest earners and i am not sure Town could justify spending that on him.

fair play to him if he's been offered that as i dont think we could or would want to compete with that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 211
22 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.