Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 132 Guests

Can we talk about contracts now?

This thread currently has 32,812 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
April 29, 2018, 9:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from 11MARINER11
Macca's wife and children love it here . They are very settled here . Hes ready to sign a new contract trust me

They was talk of Macca leaving for Motherwell among the media in the Press room on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 211
HertsGTFC
April 29, 2018, 10:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from The Yard Dog

They was talk of Macca leaving for Motherwell among the media in the Press room on Saturday

I would be more inclined to see him go to Hull City as McGregor is going to Rangers and the Targers are skint also Steve Croudson knows all about James.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 211
GTFCNiles
April 29, 2018, 11:00pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +42
Gold Stars: 6
Hate to say it but, Goodbye James. Deserved more but Club still being run like it's non league. Thank you for helping us get out of non league and your service for the past few years, know it wasn't always easy. Always be a Grimsby Town Legend. All the best for future. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 211
blundellpork
April 30, 2018, 12:11am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I would be more inclined to see him go to Hull City as McGregor is going to Rangers and the Targers are skint also Steve Croudson knows all about James.

He’s nowhere near a Championship keeper
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 211
Southwark Mariner
April 30, 2018, 12:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Radio Humberside lost all credibility for me on Saturday when Matt Dean asked on air if Michael Jolley was being paid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 211
April 30, 2018, 5:10am
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
Have heard;
Clifton isnt on a great deal with us and has other suitors lining him up.
McKeown weighing up his options.
Collins is on his way.

Also several other intruiging rumours involving former board members, court cases, inland revenue ...could be an interesting Summer.

Personally regards contracts....in all honesty...over the course of the season...i think there is only Summerfield who has consistently stood out....very few, if any, of the seasons squad  have "earned" a new contract IMO. Hall Johnson i like the look of and he is still young so on what i have seen to date worth keeping.
Dembele i would extend if only for the fact that he has been catching the eye and now his first season is out of the way and under Jolley he may improve his end product, which will either help us open teams up and/or make him profitable come next January.

All the rest in all honesty have proven over a season that they arent good enough.  The whole bunch lacks pace, power and guile for me so wouldnt be too sad if virtually none are kept on....its a darn pity we are gonna be stuck with some in reality.

Thanks for the 'have heard'.

Regarding contracts - MJ has changed the 'whole bunch' from being natural relegation fodder to a competitive L2 team, though.
You could argue logically that retaining the majority ought to see us safe from relegation (assuming we can find a goalscorer).
Except we have a number of players for whom one more year might be one too many.

I think we simply have to trust the manager....and be fair to him, we should recognize that this is an area where he's relying on instinct a fair bit.

If he opts for a mass clearout that's fine with me, but if he thinks he just needs two or three quality (at this level) players to help bring out the best from
what he's already got - I'd trust him on that too.

I worry that some of his plans may get hampered/thwarted by boardroom-level distractions/inertia.
(I had that worry before I read what you put btw.)

As you said, an interesting summer seems likely...

Reply: 105 - 211
Cloudy
April 30, 2018, 6:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Davec
Imagine of Macca and Clifton both leave us, would be another GTFC intercourse up, similar to the Podge and Pearson fiasco

Clifton was rightly on a lowly paid contract, as a young pro with no first team experience. I expect him to be offered a substantially increased contract and for him to stay. Where is he going to go on hugely better money, with a manager who rates him and where he will get terrific support from the fans.

Macca"s different. IF he is being offered £2-3k per week and a 3 year + deal then he has to seriously consider it. Town should not IMO, be paying anyone £150k pa to play in the 4th division. If he goes, he goes with thanks.
It wasn't too long ago when many in this board were saying they would retain him but only as back up to a new number 1 who can dominate his box! Since he came back from injury ( many said he wouldn't play again this season) he has been in the best form of his life. There weren't many saying give him a 3 year deal pre Christmas.

After the last few weeks I have genuine hope that Jolley will get a team that is well organised, knows their roles and responsibilities and plays at a high tempo. If he can do this we will challenge for the play offs
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 211
lukeo
April 30, 2018, 7:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Why do some people think we're too good for some of the players we already have (ie summer field) we are Grimsby town. We are not massive and got loads of money. Summer field would be a good player for any team in this league with his effort and work rate alone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 211
lukeo
April 30, 2018, 7:34am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Gonna be an interesting summer by the looks of it, if the board backs the manager can see decent season ticket sales this summer who would have thought that a couple of months back..
First contract offer should be to get MJ on a 3 year contract got the feeling he could do something special here.

Its a tough one, a rolling 6 month contract in theory never ends unless 1 side of the party wants it to and ends it. 3 year contract short term is good because more often than not you've tied that manager down for 2 years, no one will try steal a manager with more than 1 year on his contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 211
dapperz fun pub
April 30, 2018, 7:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,954
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Cloudy

Clifton was rightly on a lowly paid contract, as a young pro with no first team experience. I expect him to be offered a substantially increased contract and for him to stay. Where is he going to go on hugely better money, with a manager who rates him and where he will get terrific support from the fans.

Macca"s different. IF he is being offered £2-3k per week and a 3 year + deal then he has to seriously consider it. Town should not IMO, be paying anyone £150k pa to play in the 4th division. If he goes, he goes with thanks.
It wasn't too long ago when many in this board were saying they would retain him but only as back up to a new number 1 who can dominate his box! Since he came back from injury ( many said he wouldn't play again this season) he has been in the best form of his life. There weren't many saying give him a 3 year deal pre Christmas.

After the last few weeks I have genuine hope that Jolley will get a team that is well organised, knows their roles and responsibilities and plays at a high tempo. If he can do this we will challenge for the play offs

Don’t think Clifton will go but having said that other clubs have definitely enquired/looked at him recently so we need to be on it and tie him down for longer , Macca on the other hand if those sort of wages are being offered he’s gone imo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 211
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.