Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 142 Guests

Can we talk about contracts now?

This thread currently has 32,816 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
April 30, 2018, 11:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from diehardmariner
Difficult one this now because we've seen how good some of these players can be under a manager who gets something out of them.  Clarke was derided by the majority, myself included, for most of the season yet under Jolley he's looked solid and very capable.  Woolford has brought a calming influence in our midfield and along with Summerfield has dictated our tempo and style of football from that central role in recent games.

But we need to kick on.  Our form has been good of late but that has come more through grinding out than a sudden improvement in the quality we offer (although that has improved greatly).  There's still a huge imbalance in the squad and we lack key attributes (pace and creativity).  

Goalkeeper  - Killip under contract and I thought he looked promising enough so happy with that one.  McKeown I will be disappointed to see go but purely taking away the emotional attachment I think we can replace.  

Full backs - Hall-Johnson has impressed albeit still very raw but worthy of another year. Mills I would keep for his versatility but also because I think he's a fine footballer.  With Jolley signing off on the early operation I suspect he is someone he wants to keep.  Ben Davies hasn't done anything wrong but we need to look towards a younger side and unless he's prepared to take a pittance as a squad player I think we say goodbye.  Fox has got better with each game so I wouldn't be disappointed if he was kept, nor surprised.

Centre backs - Clarke is one of the, if not the, most improved players under Jolley but I can't see him getting another deal.  Just because we need pace, I can't imagine both him and Collins getting deals.  If it comes down to a straight choice the sensible money is on giving Collins a deal but how much longer can he go on?  Wouldn't be surprised if all 3 of our centre backs don't get deals.

Wingers - Kelly under contract but imagine Jolley will look to offload if possible.  Dembele at the very least I imagine we'll exercise the extra year just to safeguard against anyone taking him off us for nothing.  The lad had a poor second half of the season but struggling with injury and was always going to burn out at some point.  Wright I would like to see given a chance here as opposed to on loan somewhere, even if it's just for six months which I suspect may well be the deal offered to him.   Clifton will surely get a deal, impressed whilst out of position and also ticks the box for a homegrown talent in the 18.  I'll be very disappointed if he's not retained.

Central midfield - Rose under contract which leaves McAllister, Berrettt, Woolford, Clements and Summerfield.    McAllister has less chance of getting a deal than I do!  Clements' wage and location will rule him out, whereas Berrett has had a fair crack under Jolley and was then left out the squad.  No great loss there.  Woolford has done well in a central role but we need to look to upgrade to a more athletic side I'm afraid.  Last few games have shown what a good player Woolford was and I reckon he would have been a major asset when he had a yard of pace. Summerfield should get a deal, not just because he's actually cared all season but because he's shown he's a good player.  The criticism against him is that he doesn't score or create enough goals, but that's not his job.  His job this season was to screen the back four and turn play over, which he's done excellently.  

Attackers - Only Cardwell and Hooper under contract and to be honest Cardwell's the only one I would want to keep. Hooper has shown improvements under Jolley but he's not good enough to be a starter and I think we could be get far better as alternative options.

So for me: Mills, Fox, Hall-Johnson, Summerfield, Clifton, Wright.  Wouldn't be surprised if work is done to offload Kelly and Dixon, with Killip, Cardwell and Hooper already under contract.  9 players isn't a lot and definitely gives a lot of scope for Jolley to put his own mark on it.

I think Hooper showed against Notts County that he can be very effective in the role that Jolley played him in.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 211
grimsby pete
April 30, 2018, 11:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
I think most would agree before MJ was appointed the Fishy in general wanted most players gone,

Now we have seen they were just badly coached most of them are OK,

So I expect 5 or 6 will be offered new deals along with the ones that are already contracted,

That leaves another 7 or 8 signings needed,

With Rose and Wright making the numbers up,

A leaner meaner squad that will have youth and speed on its side.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 211
Cloudy
April 30, 2018, 11:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
We may well offer contracts to some of those who's deals are expiring but whether they take them or not is a different matter as we know from Pode, Toto, Arnold,  Tait etc
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 211
ginnywings
April 30, 2018, 12:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Hooper has been a much better player once the responsibility of goal scoring has been lifted from him. Playing out wide has seen him transformed, and he created 2 or 3 excellent opportunities for others on Saturday. His over the top pass to Rose was brilliantly executed. If you look at his youtube goals clips, he scored a few goals cutting in from the left and hitting right foot shots across the keeper. He does have a powerful shot as we have seen a couple of times this season. I think with a bit more confidence, there is a lot more to come from him yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUbOKFXSVdo
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 211
Theimperialcoroner
April 30, 2018, 12:56pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
I’ll see it as a statement of intent if we manage to retain Macca.
I doubt we will though.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 211
oldun
April 30, 2018, 1:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from forza ivano

i'd agree almost totally with that diehard. the only quibble would be hooper. i looked at his wiki page and he's only 24 and still hasn't played 100 league games. what i'm saying is that he is possibly not the finished article and jolley seems quite keen to play him, especially wide left. it will all depend, imho, whether or not jolley feels there is more to come and that he can coach him to further improvement (plus we don't know if jolley already knows a better left sided attacker). other than that i'd agree with your 'keeps and discards'

ps think there's a good chance we will get vernham back. that would be a good addition as i thought he was the one player who showed fight, pace and creativity when we were really struggling

Hooper just needs to improve his finishing and then he could be a dangerous player with the ball on the deck. He is not a target man so depends how MJ wants to play. He has looked dangerous cutting in from wide areas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 211
monkeyboy
April 30, 2018, 1:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
So just out of interest what happens if Jolley has his sights set on a keeper much better than Mckeown? even a squad much better than we have?
Being at Burnley and having the contacts from the squads around the U23 league system and also some Premiership squads maybe he demands enough respect to get some cracking players in, some released by the big clubs some on loan that want to come and play for him regardless of the town he is managing in.

I dint think we are setting our sights high enough now after what has been a dreary season.

Truth be told i dont think he will keep too many of the current players and may even see Dembele depart as he may have looked good when he arrived but a garbage since.

Will be an exciting pre season for sure i think and a lot of people may be suprised, after all the guy came from the cut throat world of banking so wont be scared to make decisions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 211
ginnywings
April 30, 2018, 1:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
If Mckeown goes, then i will say thanks for your efforts and good luck. I never get hung up on players leaving as it happens all the time in football. If a player does well and gets the chance to better his circumstances, than all power to him, it's a short career. I will be chuffed if he stays, because he has become a club stalwart and one of our longest serving players, but if he leaves, then it's a chance for a new hero to become part of our history. We have had many great keepers over the years and i'm sure we could find another.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 211
April 30, 2018, 2:11pm
Guest User
Saturday was probably the best Town have played for a long time not just this season,  under MJ  our players are becoming a team that can/could  hold its own  against  most.  Why do we insult these players  by in  public/ fishy  slagging them off and naming players that you want to be rid of with a game to go. They got the result we the fans wanted and did it in style, playing with their hearts  and showed guts, which had been lacking pre MJ. I understand  we require some new players next season , but under MJ  some of our existing players (as shown Saturday) can still be part of a successful  promotion chasing team. Don`t  blame all the players for Slades  inability  to motivate and organise . ( for instance Macca  slagging , now suddenly  hes the best and most passionate  keeper in the world ). Positive words help and go along way to breed confidence as MJ as shown.   Please be realistic . !!!!!
Reply: 128 - 211
diehardmariner
April 30, 2018, 3:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Fair points regards Hooper, I just think there's far too much inconsistency in his game. On Saturday he went on a really positive solo run that saw the ball just trickle across the face of the goal.  Next opportunity he pretty much opted out of running at the same defender despite having him on toast a matter of minutes before.

I guess the question is how much can Jolley do with him, both in terms of application and confidence (which I agree is a big factor for the lad) and is it enough to achieve the levels expected on a consistent basis?  For what it's worth, I don't think we would find a suitor for him even if Jolley did try to offload him so we'll get to see what impact Jolley can have on him over a longer period.
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 211
22 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.