Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 119 Guests

Can we talk about contracts now?

This thread currently has 32,814 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
April 30, 2018, 3:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,269
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 4055
Saturday was probably the best Town have played for a long time not just this season,  under MJ  our players are becoming a team that can/could  hold its own  against  most.  Why do we insult these players  by in  public/ fishy  slagging them off and naming players that you want to be rid of with a game to go. They got the result we the fans wanted and did it in style, playing with their hearts  and showed guts, which had been lacking pre MJ. I understand  we require some new players next season , but under MJ  some of our existing players (as shown Saturday) can still be part of a successful  promotion chasing team. Don`t  blame all the players for Slades  inability  to motivate and organise . ( for instance Macca  slagging , now suddenly  hes the best and most passionate  keeper in the world ). Positive words help and go along way to breed confidence as MJ as shown.   Please be realistic . !!!!!

Its probably because over 40+ games this season they have proved not to be good enough really, a couple of improved results and performances in the last couple of weeks of the season don't hide that......funny how players always seem to work extra hard when they realise their contracts are up and a relegation might appear on their CV isnt it ?
MJ has improved things from a basic organisation level which has helped but that entire squad has now produced a total sum of 1 epic performance at home ALL SEASON, coincidentally in the biggest home game of the season.

Would you dish out longer/extended/ renewed contracts based on that ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 211
grimsby pete
April 30, 2018, 3:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from moosey_club

Its probably because over 40+ games this season they have proved not to be good enough really, a couple of improved results and performances in the last couple of weeks of the season don't hide that......funny how players always seem to work extra hard when they realise their contracts are up and a relegation might appear on their CV isnt it ?
MJ has improved things from a basic organisation level which has helped but that entire squad has now produced a total sum of 1 epic performance at home ALL SEASON, coincidentally in the biggest home game of the season.

Would you dish out longer/extended/ renewed contracts based on that ?

I am sure MJ  will base his offers on what he has seen since he arrived,

Don't forget the players were only following Slades's orders when hoofing it up in the air.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 211
chrissy
April 30, 2018, 4:51pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
If Macca has a 3 year double his money offer he would be silly not to take it,

Town can not afford to do that for one player and it would be unfair on the rest of the players if they did.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 211
rancido
April 30, 2018, 6:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Macca has been a good keeper for town and was excellent when we were non-league. He has also proved that he can handle playing at League 2 level but I think that is his limit. I still think he isn't strong enough or commanding in the 6 yard area. Also , as proved on Saturday, he sometimes makes rash decisions which will get punished especially against good opposition. If we want to just coast along in League 2 then he is ok but if we have aspirations of League 1 or higher then , unfortunately, we need better.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 211
horsforthmariner
April 30, 2018, 7:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 9
My take on this is - this season we started with a mid table side. We were horrendously managed by Slade that led to our near relegation. Fortunately jolley has got the best of this side. If we want to be challenging at the right end of the table we will need better players, but I would prefer a excellent additions that replacing like with like. Evolution not revolution basically.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 211
diehardmariner
May 1, 2018, 8:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
I think most of us would prefer evolution rather than revolution but I'm not sure that's an option.

Our goalkeeper is, by all accounts, set to leave.
Our first choice centre-backs will be 35 and 38 before the calendar year is out.
Our midfield spine is debatable, badly lacking any creativity.
Our attacking options are limited to a lad yet to score his first professional goal (not counting the Check-a-trade guff) and another who's hardly set the world alight in his six years as a professional.

Jolley has hinted that it won't be a complete overhaul of the squad but I'm struggling to see how else it can go.  
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 211
MeanwoodMariner
May 1, 2018, 8:07am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from diehardmariner

Jolley has hinted that it won't be a complete overhaul of the squad but I'm struggling to see how else it can go.  

I think there might be. He very telling said that he will base new contract offers not just on his time here, but on the whole 9 month season. To me that suggests very few out of contract players will be retained.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 211
Bigdog
May 1, 2018, 11:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think most of us would prefer evolution rather than revolution but I'm not sure that's an option.

Our goalkeeper is, by all accounts, set to leave.
Our first choice centre-backs will be 35 and 38 before the calendar year is out.
Our midfield spine is debatable, badly lacking any creativity.
Our attacking options are limited to a lad yet to score his first professional goal (not counting the Check-a-trade guff) and another who's hardly set the world alight in his six years as a professional.

It's exactly how I see it.

The past few games showed us more about the qualities of our manager rather than the players. He drew every ounce of talent and effort out of the current squad to cobble together a couple of narrow nailbiting victories and a few backs to the wall draws. It's hardly a sound base to build a promotion chasing squad. Hats off to the players for their recent efforts, but I can't see more than two, three or four being good enough to be starters in a side at the right end of the table that regularly dominates and wins games at this level.

I wouldn't like to identify who I'd like us to keep at this stage, but will be intrigued to see MJ's retained list. It will definitely give us an idea about his vision for the future, how ruthless he is, and maybe a little insight into the kind of budget he'll have to play with..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 211
ginnywings
May 1, 2018, 11:39am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
We have not been convincing all season have we, even under Jolley? We never go out and win by 2,3, or 4 goals and coast in games. All the wins that have kept us up have been 1 goal margins, and all had an element of luck about them. We just don't have the players with the presence of mind to pick the right options at the right times, which is why we struggle to score enough goals. I feel we do need a big clear out, but maybe not quite as big as it once appeared. There will be an element of budget restrictions and having to go for 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th choice targets, but we desperately need some pace, guile and goalscoring ability in the side. We also need some more mobile defenders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 211
Maringer
May 1, 2018, 11:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,559
Gold Stars: 185
I can't see us keeping Collins for another season but wish him well as he's done a good job for us over the past couple of seasons. Clarke has done OK in fits and starts, but does have quite a few errors in him and he's no spring chicken. If we were to keep him for another season, I'd be OK with that but we'll need somebody younger and more athletic alongside him. Osborne has barely played and has looked rather rusty when he has so I'd be surprised if he was signed again. Davies is still a clever player and is versatile but he's 37 this month and isn't going to get any quicker. My preference would be to release him, but I'd understand if he did stay. Dixon just hasn't done well for us despite his decent pedigree, probably because the rest of our defence is lacking in pace as well. Would be best if he was to leave and I don't doubt he will be looking for a move back to Scotland if rumours about his family moving back are to be believed. I'd certainly keep both Mills (who is a decent full-back) and RHJ who has shown some great potential. Hopefully, his injury at the weekend wasn't too bad. RHJ is quicker but Mills is better in the air. I do wonder if Mills might also be able to play in a central defensive three if required? Good enough in the air and a bit quicker across the ground than most central defenders. Fox has been excellent since he joined and I'd be happy to see him stay. Not, perhaps quick, but certainly not slow and he's deceptive when going forward, often beating his man.

For the midfield, it's difficult. Summerfield, I would certainly keep as he's improved a great deal this season and has cut out most of the errors which plagued him initially. Clifton has looked a very good young prospect and will surely be kept as well - very cool-headed considering his lack of experience and he has good feet and plenty of ability as well as being capable of the physical side of things. If we're going to be passing the ball a lot more next season (hopefully!), he's the sort of player we'll need. Rose is a bit of a conundrum for me. A month ago, I'd have said get rid because, though he may be able to take a good penalty, his stamina levels were very poor and he was often extremely clumsy - a bit of a carthorse at times. However, he seems to have lasted a bit better over the past few games and, of course, the long throw can be a real asset in attacking situations and the time taken to wind them up helps to relieving pressure as well. Question is, can I see us pushing for promotion, even via the play-offs with all 3 of these players starting together in midfield? Not so sure. Dembele has received more praise than he has been due at times because he was pretty dreadful for much of the season after a promising start. He needs to work very hard on his first touch, which tends to be dire, as well as his decision making. That said, we'll hopefully be on the front foot more next season so it would be interesting to see how Jolley can help him develop if he can sort out the back problem we've heard about. I'd also see how Wright does next season so would keep him until Christmas at least to see how he does.

For me, that would be it for the midfielders. Kelly is reasonably quick and skilful but achieves absolutely nothing and it's no surprise he has rarely been involved. Whether he'll see out his contract or we can move him on remains to be seen. I see Clements as the one who got away as he did really well for us last season (4 goals in 16 from central midfield is an excellent return). Whatever has gone on this season, I'm sure he'll get himself a new club somewhere. Time for Berrett to move on for me as well. A good pedigree but has rarely shown enough and we need better. McAllister was barely here and I wonder exactly what the story has been with him? It will be interesting to see if he gets himself a new time - possibly he'll go to a team in non-league? I'd also say goodbye to Woolford who has done decently in a midfield role in recent games but we can't be keeping ageing wingers to play in central midfield, especially when we need more pace and athleticism in the squad. Jiayesimi will be back to Norwich and I think there is certainly plenty of ability in there but he needs to achieve more when he has good bits of play. Plenty of almost moments. Perhaps another loan spell for him elsewhere.

Up front, I expect that the two under contract, Cardwell and Hooper, will stay but I don't expect to see anything more of the others. Jackson most likely to stay, I'd have thought. Both Cardwell and Hooper have potential but we've got to find some way of unlocking this and we badly need to add some pace as well. Vernon has given his best for us, but he's just not enough of a goal threat and Matt has been much too hit and miss, despite his winning goal the other day.

Massive overhaul ahead this summer so I hope Jolley has some targets in mind already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 211
22 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.