Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 245 Guests

Can we talk about contracts now?

This thread currently has 32,806 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 29, 2018, 9:42am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yesterday I thought he was the stand out performer out of both teams, one of which will be in the play-offs. To me, that says he's well worth another contract.

Certainly deserves a new contract as he is one of the very few players whose commitment has never been questioned by the fans this season. In reality today demonstrated that he is best suited to playing further forwards in a midfield three as when he plays deeper that odd misplaced pass or miss control he does most games can be more costly.

Agree he does not score enough goals but he does switch play well and playing further forward gives him the freedom to be more creative.

So worth a contract and other signings and team formation will determine if he will be a regular starter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 211
MeanwoodMariner
April 29, 2018, 9:45am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Mitch Rose has potential to improve, as well as a fantastic long throw as a weapon. Will be interesting if Jolley sees enough in him to give him another year. He dipped badly along with the rest of the squad during the 20 game run so perhaps it's too little too late.

Is there a definitive list anywhere of players already contracted for next year?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 211
jamesgtfc
April 29, 2018, 10:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Going to assume all loanees won't be returning and ignore the fact some are already contracted:

Keep:
Macca
Killip
RHJ
Fox
Summerfield
Rose
Clifton
Woolford
Hooper
Cardwell
Wright

I would like to keep Collins and Davies around the place if that suited them.

Evolution not revolution.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 211
Rodley Mariner
April 29, 2018, 10:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Summerfield was absolutely outstanding yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 211
mariner91
April 29, 2018, 10:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from bradzmilne

Oh yeah, of course - totally forgot about him in my slightly fragile state after a night of celebrations haha.

There's certainly a striker in hooper somewhere, under the right manager he could be useful

I don't think there is. He doesn't have the awareness or brain to play centrally when you have to know what's behind you as well as in front. However, there is definitely potential for a winger. He's much improved playing out left where the game is generally in front of him. He's got another year anyway so will be interesting to see what MJ can get from him as he's got some of the raw attributes needed for professional football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 211
Mariner93er
April 29, 2018, 10:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Under jolley, I've grown fonder of some of the players. You only have to look at the celebrations to see how much it meant. I particularly liked Summerfield and fox rolling around on the floor. Right now, I would disagree that we need wholesale changes. Keep a core squad whom won't be on massive wages after this season, but jolley has proven he can get performances out of them at this level. Then add extra quality for each position. I think it's important to keep some for team spirit as much as anything else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 211
joe56
April 29, 2018, 10:07am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from davmariner
Summerfield has done ok but he’s still not good enough. He doesn’t get enough goals or assists to warrant being first choice. He potentially deserves another year as a squad player but nothing more.

I think you’ll be in a small minority with that one. For what it’s worth, I think he’s been easily our best player all season. Probably one of the best in the whole division and a model of consistency. Some people seem hell bent on finding fault with him, but I think it’s significant that our upturn in form has more or less coincided with his return after injury. I’m a great admirer of James Mckeown, but I’d be disappointed if his recent run of form robs Summers of the Player of the Season award that he so richly deserves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 211
Maringer
April 29, 2018, 10:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,498
Gold Stars: 185
Bearing in mind the upturn in form in recent weeks, I think we'll see more of the current squad retained than I anticipated a month or two ago. I'm generally OK with this.

However, we've a lot of weaknesses which need to be addressed - no pace at the back (or in the squad in general, for that matter), not enough goals from midfield (penalties from Rose aside) and little threat in attack. I wonder if Akeem Rose will be able to add something next season? We've certainly waited long enough to find out!

Lots of work to be done this summer. Let's hope we put on another good showing next week at FGR to finish on a real high and Jolley can then get down to the important work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 211
Squinter
April 29, 2018, 10:30am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
What about his assistant. Does he let Wilko go to bring in his own no.2 ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 211
GTFCNiles
April 29, 2018, 10:34am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +42
Gold Stars: 6
Macca has a big offer on the table elsewhere (not Shrewsbury), Town getting back to him today with a revised deal but looks like he will be moving on, saving grace might be that his kids are settled in the area and if town can come close to keeping him with a good offer, but money talks especially in football, and given his performances you can't blame him if hes going to double his wages. His performances warrant a transfer fee so to lose him on a free for the sake of a few thousand would be poor business sense. Give this man a 3 year contract, a bit of security with a decent pay rise. He deserves it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 211
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.