Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 286 Guests

Can we talk about contracts now?

This thread currently has 32,771 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TheGoalKipper
April 29, 2018, 1:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from rancido

I've been a big critic of Woolford since he came but have changed my view since Jolley took over. Russell " spit " Slade used him as a winger, which is a role a believe he has played most of his career. He doesn't have the pace to play that role anymore but his experience and ability comes into play in the role that Jolley has given him. I don't know if he is worth another season but if Jolley re-signed him then I wouldn't be disappointed.

He's not quick enough to be a winger anymore but is skillfull and if MJ cant get a younger version of the same quality fine by me. We need good passers in midfield now we are a footballing team rather than hoofball. We do need to bring the age of our players down though and add energy and speed

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 211
Zmariner
April 29, 2018, 1:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from joe56

I think you’ll be in a small minority with that one. For what it’s worth, I think he’s been easily our best player all season. Probably one of the best in the whole division and a model of consistency. Some people seem hell bent on finding fault with him, but I think it’s significant that our upturn in form has more or less coincided with his return after injury. I’m a great admirer of James Mckeown, but I’d be disappointed if his recent run of form robs Summers of the Player of the Season award that he so richly deserves.

Agreed, it would be a crime if Summerfield does not get a 2 year deal, absolutely deserved. Absolutely great this season in a struggling team. Needs to add a couple of goals but otherwise outstanding commitment utm also special mention to Collins, again brilliant
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 211
horsforthmariner
April 29, 2018, 1:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Zmariner

Agreed, it would be a crime if Summerfield does not get a 2 year deal, absolutely deserved. Absolutely great this season in a struggling team. Needs to add a couple of goals but otherwise outstanding commitment utm also special mention to Collins, again brilliant

Wouldn't give Summerfield a 2 year deal. He's 31 in December, it's a bit of risk at that age.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 211
sonofmadeleymariner
April 29, 2018, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from horsforthmariner

Wouldn't give Summerfield a 2 year deal. He's 31 in December, it's a bit of risk at that age.

give him a year with a option for a 2nd then

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 211
April 29, 2018, 1:34pm
Guest User
I've changed my mind regarding Summerfield. Based not just on ability but on his desire and drive. When we scored yesterday, he went mental. I can see he cares, that's enormous for me. Similar with James McKeown who is our longest serving player and leads. There's two of your spine. For me, you sort the spine out first then the wings.

My retained list is short, massive rebuilding job. But I have respect now for this squad after despising the majority of them for most of the season. They have given their all and I thank them for their efforts.

I would want to retain James McKeown, Zac Mills, Andrew Fox, Danny Collins, Luke Summerfield, Mitch Rose, Reece Hall Johnson, Harry Clifton. You'd have to keep Siriki Dembele for his potential.

I hear good things about Jack Keeble, hope he's retained and given an opportunity, he'll learn from Danny Collins.
Reply: 44 - 211
sonofmadeleymariner
April 29, 2018, 1:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from 75
I've changed my mind regarding Summerfield. Based not just on ability but on his desire and drive. When we scored yesterday, he went mental. I can see he cares, that's enormous for me. Similar with James McKeown who is our longest serving player and leads. There's two of your spine. For me, you sort the spine out first then the wings.

My retained list is short, massive rebuilding job. But I have respect now for this squad after despising the majority of them for most of the season. They have given their all and I thank them for their efforts.

I would want to retain James McKeown, Zac Mills, Andrew Fox, Danny Collins, Luke Summerfield, Mitch Rose, Reece Hall Johnson, Harry Clifton. You'd have to keep Siriki Dembele for his potential.

I hear good things about Jack Keeble, hope he's retained and given an opportunity, he'll learn from Danny Collins.

I like the list Vicar and I think I would agree with you. Collins would be the only one I would um and ar over, he's 37 now? I think I heard someone say to me the other day but if he was on the bench to come off if theres an injury or something then yes.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 211
April 29, 2018, 2:05pm
Guest User

I like the list Vicar and I think I would agree with you. Collins would be the only one I would um and ar over, he's 37 now? I think I heard someone say to me the other day but if he was on the bench to come off if theres an injury or something then yes.

Yep, he's knocking on but he has been very consistent and is classy. He is a leader through the spine, maybe he would benefit from playing alongside a quicker centre back but I'd have no qualms about a new deal for him.
Reply: 46 - 211
Garth
April 29, 2018, 2:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
No way should he rip this team apart as some would want, there are players there who in the last few weeks have put the past behind them and have kept the club alive playing in some cases promotion seeking teams, the ones who have not been playing a part in this are the ones who should be first to go, and I`m sure that will be in MJ`s planning.
My thoughts are that we need another experienced keeper, a midfield playmaker,  two out and out goal poachers, and a quick imposing centre back. I would think we could release six or seven of the existing squad without damaging the team spirit built up under MJ
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 211
Mrs Doyle
April 29, 2018, 2:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Hopefully out of respect players won't be told until after the Forest Gump game but I am hoping Macca, Killip, Zac, Collins, Summers, Clifton, Mitch Rose, Hall Johnson, Fox, Dembele, Woolford, at least get a new contract and stay Hooper already has a year but we definitely need a decent striker.

I wonder what Jolley would have got out of Jones and Jamie Osborne? We will never know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 211
oldun
April 29, 2018, 2:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from sam gy
Find it insane that some think Summers isn’t deserving of a contract. The guy has bust a gut for us all season, improved massively and I’ve lost count how many MOM performances he gave. Even during our terrible patch, he was often the only one who shone.

I imagine Jolley would be looking to bring in some younger exciting talent, but you need experienced heads in there too.

Exciting times now anyway, looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds.

When the going gets tough, Summers is the man you want in your team. Committed, fit and drives others on. Yes could chip in with a few more goals.  Good captain material. His mate from York (Berrett) will have to go though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 211
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we talk about contracts now?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.