14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerWY
February 1, 2018, 1:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
The Hurst mention is a bit disingenuous IMO. Hurst did face some (imo daft) opposition at times but always had us up and around the play-offs, including falling at the last hurdle. Hurst did bring in some quality players: Almond, Bogle, Nolan, Henderson to name a few.

Now I understand that is subjective. However what really makes the statement disingenuous is stating the case for not being fickle and giving managers time to do a job (something I personally agree with), but somehow missing out any reference to Bignot. It's like a selective memory: to reference Hurst whilst overlooking a more recent manager means the argument is not really valid.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 132
ginnywings
February 1, 2018, 1:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Hurst wasn't hounded out by the fans either, despite many not wanting him here, and even then most admitted, myself included, that he had earned the right to manage us in the league, and we were quite happy with what he was doing. He left because he got a better offer elsewhere and his parting shots were not fired at the fans when he said he was looking forward to working with honest people.

Admittedly, the club did stick by him when many wanted him gone and it turned out alright in the end. Whether he would have survived had we lost the play off semi to Braintree is another matter.

I think what the club fail to realise is that Slade was a very unpopular choice anyway, even without the abysmal run we are currently on. It's not just the results that are getting people riled up. He is never going to get much leeway with the fans, whatever he does.

Having said all that, it's now pointless to keep going over it all. The club have made their choice, the manager has signed the players he thinks will help us and all we can do now is see what happens for the rest of the season. We have the manager we have, we have the players we have, and it's all about getting some wins now. So to that end, i will be there Saturday hoping for a win and a performance, hoping the new and the old players get it together for our league status. I understand that some will stay away and that is their right, but the part of the statement i do agree with is that we should just go and support the team. Protests should be kept away from the players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 132
friskneymariner
February 1, 2018, 1:44pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
As I see it  keeping Slade will cost the club at least £300,000 in lost season ticket sales they cannot stand that,they will sack him at the end of the season.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 132
jock dock tower
February 1, 2018, 1:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I think the statement was the best I’ve seen come out of Blundell Park for years. Well structured. Coherent. Good grammar. Such an improvement.

ie Donald Trump's speechwriters had nothing to do with it.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 132
Maringer
February 1, 2018, 2:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
I know it's unfashionable, but I think that sacking Slade yesterday would have been a bad decision regardless of how much our terrible run of form over the past couple of months might have justified it. Getting rid of him on deadline day when I assume the moves for the outgoing and incoming players were mostly sorted out would have left us up shite creek without any sort of a paddle - even a rubbish one! For instance, I don't believe for one second that Jones didn't know anything about a potential move until 6pm - players, managers and clubs just tell brazen lies about transfers.

If we were going to sack Slade, the time would have been after Newport, which would have allowed a new manager to be selected and then perhaps bring in one or two of his own players as well as deciding whether or not to keep the ones who have been shipped out.

As this didn't happen back then, the window had passed so now we've just got to hope that the new arrivals can do enough to keep us out of the mire.

Longer-term, i.e. past the end of the season, I'd say that Slade's position is all but untenable barring an absolutely remarkable turnaround in fortunes on the pitch. I'm talking about a run of results good enough to get us close to the play-offs which I doubt is possible. Making up 15 points in 15 games when teams in the play-off places have 17 games to play? Nah, not going to happen. Even if we finish relatively comfortably clear of relegation (and I hope that we do!), there is too much ill-feeling towards Slade for him to remain at the club.

Fingers-crossed for GTFC to be Slade-free and still in the Football League come the start of next season. The way things have been going, we'll need some luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 132
MuddyWaters
February 1, 2018, 2:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Apparently Slade was appointed 11 months ago -12th April 2017? - and in what way was that appointment not 'fickle & volatile'? - and in that 11 months (actually 9.5months), he has systematically got rid of all of Bignot's signings.

That suggests to me that they were given big money to come here as part of the Bignot revolution. The question that follows on from that is a simple one. Didn't the board sign those deals off & weren't they aware of the financial consequences?
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 132
friskneymariner
February 1, 2018, 3:13pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Apparently Slade was appointed 11 months ago -12th April 2017? - and in what way was that appointment not 'fickle & volatile'? - and in that 11 months (actually 9.5months), he has systematically got rid of all of Bignot's signings.

That suggests to me that they were given big money to come here as part of the Bignot revolution. The question that follows on from that is a simple one. Didn't the board sign those deals off & weren't they aware of the financial consequences?

Bit like a cuckoo really.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 132
buckstown
February 1, 2018, 3:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,181
Gold Stars: 79
I'm desperately searching for something positive at the moment but I can't see it.
In theory continuity is the answer and it is possible that Slade could turn it round, however the evidence points overwhelmingly to him failing. He's got rid of our best players in Osborne and Jones and so far the replacements have been poor.
There was a vocal minority who wanted Hurst out but that would have been stupid in my opinion. We were always there abouts, and he had an eye for a player. When he did make a mistake he got rid quick. It seems Slade doesn't have an eye for a player and we still have his mistakes, potentially causing trouble.
I respect the fact that JF is a town fan and I believe he's probably as unhappy as most of us at the moment. However, he's gambling with our football club and along with 90% of supporters I think he's got it wrong.
Falling gates will probably be the only thing that influences future decisions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 132
Cloudy
February 1, 2018, 3:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
This may go down like a lead balloon but I dont think Slade is the primary problem
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 132
MuddyWaters
February 1, 2018, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Cloudy
This may go down like a lead balloon but I dont think Slade is the primary problem

He isn't - cue red crosses from Sonik & Squarkus.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 132
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Latest board statement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.