Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,726
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from moosey_club
Ok....
well what did anyone expect really ?

We as a board have fcked up by backing Russell just recently but now we have had a change of heart and dont actually think Russell is capable but we cant afford to sack him, so for now he will remain in charge...

The board can only issue the statement it has in reality, how much you want to swallow it or pick it to pieces is down to each individual.

Again in the statement, the board have made it clear that they are open to offers of assistance, backing or takeover subject to subsequent due diligence being undertaken. Surely we all accept we would want that ?
This backs up what JF said at the forum ...basically he is fed up of it and wants out....fans protesting is all well and good but i honestly believe they want out anyway and would jump at a suitable offer.....not the first offer....but an offer from genuine investors, with the necessary skills and finances to secure the future of the club.

Personally i think any fervour would be better spent campaigning suitors to form a takeover party and doing pro-active works in that field than calling for people to go who already accept they want to go but wont just pass it into the hands of any chancers to do so.  

I will be there Saturday to watch my team, i wont be screaming for anyones head, i will support the players and i will groan at the players just as i do at any game of football and will be hoping for three points because my club needs them right now and a volatile atmosphere wont help achieve that.

That statement to me underlines the board want out....the quickest and easiest way to achieve that is to come up with a viable takeover plan IMO.

I tend to agree.

Every effort should now be made to bring his terrible reign to an end. He won't get all his money back, quite rightly, and surely some interested parties might be able to compromise in negotiations? There must be some savvy business people with local connections who would be interested?

Lets hope it is the beginning of the end for Fenty, but in the meantime we stay in the league to rebuild from there.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 132
MarinerMart
February 1, 2018, 12:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +209
Quoted from MarinerMart
Should we be losing Saturday with around 10ish minutes to go a mass walk out would be a message to those watching from director's box

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 132
Tommy
February 1, 2018, 12:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Whether we agree with the decisions they're making, the actual statements they're putting out are at least a lot more professional than what we've had in the past. I don't think anyone could argue that.

For me, there are parts of it that didn't need to be in there and other parts that some fans will use as a stick to beat the club with rather than look objectively at what they're saying.

The decision to back the management team is obviously one that goes against majority supporter opinion. But you can at least see the logic in that they don't want us to become a "sacking" club. If we sacked Slade now we'd be on our 4th permanent manager in 15 months. No-one wants us to become known as a sacking club, it doesn't help future manager or player recruitment. I'm not saying this is a strong enough reason to keep RS as manager, but I recognise there's at least reasoning behind it and the board obviously have more faith in him turning results around than most fans do.

We will see how it pans out. Other managers have had success after Clubs have stuck with them - Bristol City doing well this year when last year many wanted their manager out. Who knows if that will happen here maybe next season. We've not seen signs of it yet. But whether we like it or not he's going to be here long enough for us to find out.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 132
Henryscat
February 1, 2018, 12:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
I'm still struggling with the fact Bignot was sacked after a game where we scored the same amount of goals in 90 minutes than we have in the past 10 games yet this joker still gets the board's backing

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 132
Elgringo87
February 1, 2018, 1:00pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +66
reading between the lines from the statement of that unbearable belittling weasel Marley,, slade isn't going anywere until next season atleast ,, the only language fenty speaks in is money and he will only take action when 1000 season tickets are sold next year and hits him in the pocket , I think it's been mentioned before do we need 2800 through the gates a week to make a profit . If so this season is already covered in st sales even if nobody turned up he's already got the cash in the bank ,
so even tho I agree with the protests etc it won't change anything until atleast the end of pre season were I believe he will panic and get rid of slade then hoping a knee jerk sacking and a replacement may boost st sales ,, I also wouldn't be surprised if he tries his best to flog the club in the summer as he will know what's coming
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 132
ginnywings
February 1, 2018, 1:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
We need way more than 2800 to make a profit. Be very surprised if we are not losing money every week with the gates as they are.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 132
oldun
February 1, 2018, 1:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
From the statement I think Fenty and the board want a way out. They clearly decided not to trust RS to make any more permanent signings. Apart from Asante the Bignot squad has gone. We have a large number of loanees who will not be here next season and a few out of contract. Some players have left because they don't want to be here. Surely we cannot give money to RS in the summer to have another go. A clean sweep will be required and so fresh new ideas at all levels at the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 132
The Waif
February 1, 2018, 1:10pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +49
After this statement (which pretty much says the board are open to offers) isn't it time for the Mariners Trust to step forward and see if local business people would join a collective interested in regime change?

I'm convinced the Trust could raise more than £30k a year if it had to. Especially if it had a cause. Add to that financial backing from local business owners and enough money could be raised to bridge the gap if 'football fortune' isn't achieved.

Surely this is the time to at least try something like this, rather than just doing nothing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 132
RoboCod
February 1, 2018, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Tommy

I'm not saying this is a strong enough reason to keep RS as manager, but I recognise there's at least reasoning behind it and the board obviously have more faith in him turning results around than most fans do.

I absolutely see where you are with this but the word reasoning stands out here...reasoning is subjective, so someone's reasoning may only be reasonable to that person or group. This groups reasoning has been particularly wonky at times, there are no hard and fast rules as such in sacking managers but there are precedents set and one recent one was Bignots sacking. The reasons were all given in a statement and Slade has clearly also been culpable of all of those errors outlined in that statement, and by a much huger margin. Do the board actually have genuine faith, or just hope?
Faith was shown last time, in Woods, in the end not even hope could help us.

What I'm saying is that this isn't reasoning as much as it is making a stand, saving face, in the face of having painted oneself completely and utterly into a corner.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 132
MarinerGaz
February 1, 2018, 1:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +399
Quoted from Gaffer58
At least we know the clubs PR department works.

Not really, there's a glaring typo in the statement...

"Despite pressure and direction to do otherwise, the Board are firmly of the opinion that, with time, Russell and Paul will turn the results around on the pitch and assemble a team capable of challenging for League Two next season."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 132
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Latest board statement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.