Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

We're out of the EU!

This thread currently has 40,037 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
June 24, 2016, 3:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,475
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from 1739

Are you suggesting we have separate age categories for voting or that anyone over the age of 25's view won't count?  To many mystic megs around and people can moan all they like but there is nothing you can do about it now.

Not at all, but in this instance the ones who will suffer most, voted for exactly the opposite. How can that be seen as fair? We have been sold down the river well and truly by older generations who havent given a second thought to the consequences of the decision they've been brainwashed into voting for
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 356
forza ivano
June 24, 2016, 4:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,259
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Hagrid

Not at all, but in this instance the ones who will suffer most, voted for exactly the opposite. How can that be seen as fair? We have been sold down the river well and truly by older generations who havent given a second thought to the consequences of the decision they've been brainwashed into voting for

i feel for you Hagrid. but don't worry, coz there won't be any immigrants and you can wave your union jack with added pride as you get laid off your job.
seriously, i understand your pain; difficult to do but you will have to look at it long term , probably about 10 years. one or two economists did make a case that if we took all the right decisions, and things went our way we might improve on our present level of prosperity in about a decade. i suspect that if things go really titts up the e.u. would probably take us back, even though it would be on worse terms
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 356
Perkins
June 24, 2016, 4:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Now, there seems to be quite a lot of vitriolic comments flying about on these pages at the moment, and also quite a few that could be construed as ageist from our younger posters who seem to think we "know nowt", because we are over fifty. Let me inform you of something. The world and especially the country you enjoy today was not created by this ill thought out an poorly constructed mess we call the EU, it was created by the people of a certain generation who, after the devastation and mess of a war torn Europe helped pull this country up by its bootstraps, with the sheer hard work and commitment to ensure a better world for people like yourselves. You are correct, we didn't have the educational opportunities that you enjoy today, but that wasn't the EU that gave them to you, it was todays elder generation.

Now, we may not have have had those opportunities, or the chance to urinate our student grants up against the Wheatsheif toilet wall, (most of which will never be paid back anyway, because although you may have degrees coming out of your ears, you'll probably end up working in McDonalds for a living so you don't earn the required amount to have to pay it back),but what we do have is usually called an education in the University of Life, which in my reckoning beats all the degrees under the sun , as you will no doubt find out later in life.

So please don't insult the intelligence of the so called "over the hill mob" by inferring that we have made the wrong choice just because the referendum didn't go in your favour. Give us some credit. I can't think of many of the elder generation who took any notice at all of either side with their campaigns drenched in nastiness and scaremongering, we know our own minds you see, we should do, we've lived it, we know what Politicians are like, we take no notice. To end, the old army phrase comes to mind here, "get your knees brown sonny, get some time in". But i don't suppose you will understand that, you see, they don't teach THAT in university.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 356
Rodley Mariner
June 24, 2016, 4:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I've got two kids under the age of 4 and feel genuinely angry at some of the opportunities that have been taken away from them. We've just voted for a deep, long-lasting recession, less rights for workers, massive instability and Boris Johnson for PM. Pete might call me a sore loser but I could call him and many others far worse if I wasn't too polite. One of the saddest things for me is how we've fulfilled our stereotype of the chippy little-Englander with a superiority complex.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 356
grimsby pete
June 24, 2016, 5:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from mariner91

Oh

Your generation had cheap housing, free education, social mobility, an economy on the up and the ability to manufacture things. We've got none of that. We must be the first generation in history that is significantly worse off than the generation that left before. I hope you're all proud. And why have you sold us down the river? Because, and I quote "you can't walk 50 yards in the town without hearing a foreign language", you said that in the discussion further on the other forum. Well bra-fucking-vo, we're all very grateful that your inwards looking, xenophobic attitude came before our future prosperity. The worst thing about the over 65s clinching the Leave win is that you won't even be around to face the consequences for too long and you're all retired so won't have to suffer the hardships it's going to bring as much. Your generation got wealthy off the back of the EU. Before joining our economy was the slowest growing out of the G7 countries, it grew the quickest once we were a member. But that is something you've all denied our generation now.

. .

Boris went to Eton so you could say he is well educated and knows what he is talking about,

The trouble with being young is you do not know first hand how great this country is,

You said we had everything when we were young ,well that's a laugh,

We got what we worked for and did not have mobile phones, computers and in the early days an inside toilet,

The country had money because we did not give it away to the EU,

When the European Market started it was just for trade and that is why we joined,

BUT

They would  not let us in for years turning us down time and time again,

You have nothing to worry about if you have faith in our GREAT country,

Also you said  it will not be effecting us old ones, well I do have children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren,

I voted to leave because I honestly thought it would be better for them.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 356
Hagrid
June 24, 2016, 6:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,475
Gold Stars: 536
This country isnt great, theres nothing great about it ffs! All this bullshit make it great again, its never been that! We didnt want or ask for a referendum, it was dumped on us, and our generation will suffer the most
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 356
Neilo83
June 24, 2016, 6:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Hagrid
This country isnt great, theres nothing great about it ffs! All this bullshit make it great again, its never been that! We didnt want or ask for a referendum, it was dumped on us, and our generation will suffer the most

Jesus Christ pick your dummy up, anyone would think u was psychic the way you're going on, we had a vote, you lost it, unlucky get over it.. Only time will tell how we will get on after this but i'm absolutely over the moon that we're no longer part of the eu..

Happy independence day  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 356
itsnotcoditshaddock
June 24, 2016, 6:47pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Quoted from mariner91

Oh well if you say it's going to be alright, despite the overwhelming predictions from experts that it won't be, with no evidence of your own that it will be and no response to the myriad of problems we're going to face which have been articulately put across by more knowledgeable posters on here then that's fine then.

Hagrid was right. The older generation, such as yourself Pete, and I'm not meaning to pick entirely on you but you're the one on this thread who has made a comment which sums it up, have shafted my generation. Your (generations)belief that it will be alright despite the predictions by independent experts that it won't be is so infuriating. It encapsulates the fact that our population is leaning towards an anti-intellectual consensus summed up by Gove when he said we're "fed up of listening to experts". Well if we're not going to listen to the experts then who the fuck are we meant to listen to? How stupid must we look to the rest of the world?! From their neutral, objective stance they've seen us vote against what is commonly thought to be the best way forward which, unfortunately for them, will also impact their economies to some degree.

Your generation had cheap housing, free education, social mobility, an economy on the up and the ability to manufacture things. We've got none of that. We must be the first generation in history that is significantly worse off than the generation that left before. I hope you're all proud. And why have you sold us down the river? Because, and I quote "you can't walk 50 yards in the town without hearing a foreign language", you said that in the discussion further on the other forum. Well bra-fucking-vo, we're all very grateful that your inwards looking, xenophobic attitude came before our future prosperity. The worst thing about the over 65s clinching the Leave win is that you won't even be around to face the consequences for too long and you're all retired so won't have to suffer the hardships it's going to bring as much. Your generation got wealthy off the back of the EU. Before joining our economy was the slowest growing out of the G7 countries, it grew the quickest once we were a member. But that is something you've all denied our generation now.

Both sides in this referendum have been utterly awful. But the amount of lies, fear mongering and xenophobia from the Leave campaign has been disgusting. Even today, I have had people argue with me that we'll have £350 million a week to spend now despite the fact that many independents have shown this to be nowhere near the case. They plastered it on their bus for fuck sake and kept it even when they proved to be liars.

This referendum should have never have taken place. An issue as complex and emotive as this should have been made by the people who are elected to understand the impact a decision could have and are there to make the important decisions for us. It is extremely telling that one of the biggest differences between Remain and Leave voters is level of education and I'm sorry to say it, but that is a downside to democracy; the stupid get as much say as the intelligent. I think it was John Stuart Mill who suggested that the higher educated you are the more weight your vote should carry and certainly with something like this, where a lot of people seem to have literally no clue about the ramifications, it should have been that way.

I saw a post doing the round on social media and it struck a chord because it's very true:
"A quick note on the first three tragedies. Firstly, it was the working classes who voted for us to leave because they were economically disregarded and it is they who will suffer most in the short term from the dearth of jobs and investment. They have merely swapped one distant and unreachable elite for another one.
Secondly, the younger generation has lost the right live and work in 27 other countries. We will never know the full extent of the lost opportunities, friendships, marriages and experiences we will be denied. Freedom of movement was taken away by our parents, uncles and grandparents in a parting blow to a generation that was already drowning in the debt of our predecessors.
Thirdly and perhaps most signifcantly, we now live in a post-factual democracy. When the facts met the myths they were as useless as bullets bouncing off the bodies of aliens in a HG Wells novel. When Michael Gove said "the British people are sick of experts" he was right. But can anybody tell me the last time a prevailing culture of anti-intellectualism has lead to anything other than bigotry?"

A great and pertinent post from someone who, like myself, will now suffer thanks to other generations. I am fortunate in that the qualification I'm studying for will still enable me to work in many other countries relatively easily should I choose to. The majority are not so lucky.

Scotland will leave now and the UK will break up. That will further impact the economy and be a real ballache to sort out, not to mention expensive. A dark, dark day in our history.

Best post on here!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 356
grimsby pete
June 24, 2016, 6:55pm

Exile
Quoted from Hagrid

Of course this country is great and if you don't think so,

You can always vote to leave.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 356
grimsby pete
June 24, 2016, 7:17pm

Exile
Quoted from Hagrid

The older generation are not as easy fooled as you  young ones,

We have grandchildren  and great grandchildren to think about,

You forget we know what it is like when we ruled our own country,

We will still trade with the euro countries as well as the rest of the world,

The pound will drop shares will drop,

BUT

They will rise again they always do,

You might even find it easier to get on the property ladder,

Another younger member said you have no chance of getting a council house,

Again you might find it easier now.

Cheer up it might never happen.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 356
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.