Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

We're out of the EU!

This thread currently has 40,034 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
June 25, 2016, 11:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Bawmariner
I

The older generation did have it better than today's with jobs. There was full employment people can't deny otherwise. I recently had an interview. I got to the last 2 people from over 300 applicants after a 6 month process. The company told me to apply for another job as they were keen on hiring me. I apply and get rejected at the first stage. I now have to spend more time in education and face trying to get a job in a recession next year. Thanks people who voted leave.

That's not true is it ?

Why do you think there are so many exiles on this board,

Why did we leave Grimsby the place of our birth and the area we grew up in and loved because we did not like the place ?

No most of us left because there was no work in Grimsby,

Being shafted by the Icelandics threw thousands out of work.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 356
Roast Em Bobby
June 25, 2016, 11:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
I'm interested to know what the brexiteers on here, who cite immigration as the biggest issue, expect to happen.

Do you expect that the EU nationals currently living in this country will be asked to go home?
Do you expect that british nationals living in the EU will be asked to come home?
Do you expect that immigration will be brought down to less than 100K/year?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 356
Maringer
June 25, 2016, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,616
Gold Stars: 185
Wouldn't surprise me if lots of the expats living in Europe voted for leave as well! They'd be utterly insane to do so, but there is no accounting for human nature and lack of thinking.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 356
forza ivano
June 25, 2016, 11:37am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,257
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from James77
Here's a good article about the referendum result, written by Fraser Nelson for an American audience.

I don't share his political views (Tory editor of the Spectator) but his analysis of the referendum result isn't bad at all.

It's worth a read if you want a break from all the simplistic hysteria currently knocking about:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/brexit-a-very-british-revolution-1466800383

Thanks for the link james, very interesting read and his analysis very believable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 356
GrimRob
June 25, 2016, 11:39am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I'm interested to know what the brexiteers on here, who cite immigration as the biggest issue, expect to happen.

Do you expect that the EU nationals currently living in this country will be asked to go home?
Do you expect that british nationals living in the EU will be asked to come home?
Do you expect that immigration will be brought down to less than 100K/year?

Be so ironic if we swapped all the mainly young, working migrants from the EU for a load of retirees who really do clog up our NHS

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 154 - 356
Roast Em Bobby
June 25, 2016, 11:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
And going back to Chris's point earlier, I do strongly believe that a high proportion of the people who voted out are extremely thick people who based their decision on lies and untruths. I saw loads of it peddled on facebook by family and friends who I personally know are as thick as pigshit. The hysteria on polling day that there was an M15 conspiracy to rig the vote was typical of the mentality and level of education of many. My work colleague worked in a voting station and said 75% of the people where coming in and insisting on having a pen rather than a pencil 'coz it'll be rubbed out and changed otherwise'.

I don't begrudge any person who voted out if they genuinely looked into it carefully and decided based on a reasonable judgement. What I find infuriating is that the difference in votes was less than 2 million and I am certain that there were more than 2 million fuckwits who voted out on the basis if lies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 356
forza ivano
June 25, 2016, 11:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,257
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from RoboCod

I read "And exactly who are these pro exit dependent experts robocod? Nigel farage? Mme. le pen? " and read no more. DO NOT put me in the same camp as Farage, Johnson, Gove etc. There are MANY more Exit groups, just because it was hijacked by Boris and Nigel does NOT meab we all toed their line. It just shows the approach of many Pro EU voters was just as lazy and uninterested in the real core arguments as afflicted the anti-EU voters.

I despair at the whole thing, one bunch of self-made experts who base their views on what they heard on the telly against the other bunch who did the same

Sorry robocod but that's rubbish. I'v studied politics and economics so don't try and make me out to be some sort of Neanderthal. I actually wouldn't have been that unhappy with a brexit if I could've read a coherent economic plan devised by a renowned economist or an economic body .there isn't one and there isn't a single organisation or government who thought us leaving was a good idea. As I said on another post the brexiteers have led us into the middle of a dark forest and nobody has a clue as to the way out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 356
Maringer
June 25, 2016, 11:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,616
Gold Stars: 185
Regarding the movements in the stock market, it may be useful to not just look at the FTSE 100 which is comprised of mostly multinational companies which happen to have their headquarters in this country. The FTSE 100 bounced back a bit following the initial flurry of trading as it so often does.

It is actually the FTSE 250 which might be a better indication as to the market's view of implications of the vote as this is the next biggest 150 companies, most of which are based in the UK alone. This remains over 7% down and is a good bit lower than at the time of last year's election.

I have to admit that I didn't watch too much of the coverage in the build up to the vote, but the only academic economist I remember seeing interviewed who supported the Leave campaign was the uber-Tory and arch-Eurosceptic Patrick Minford. He's about as right-wing as they come in the economics field - a massively pro (completely) free trade Thatcherite and a big supporter of Milton Friedman whose trickle-down nonsense has basically screwed us all over since the 1980s and has been thoroughly discredited in recent years. Other than that, I can't think of a single economic body, either academic or business-based, which thinks that Brexit will be anything but disastrous.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 356
Perkins
June 25, 2016, 1:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from GrimRob

Be so ironic if we swapped all the mainly young, working migrants from the EU for a load of retirees who really do clog up our NHS

What a grand and noble statement from the so called Fishy intelligencia, Bordering on ageism, once again another comment from a younger generation with total lack of respect for their elders. You will get progressively older as do all of us, and with that comes infirmities, i hope for your sake and others, there will still be a NHS there for you when you become a "retiree" .

Good God, hasn't there been enough bitterness during the referendum campaign without creating more after it. I can well understand the disappointment from those who voted remain, I've been disappointed in the past with election results, thats democracy, but i haven't slagged off people who voted the other way.

In fifty years of voting in every election i have never once been swayed by listening to any politician , in fact most of them are liars anyway, and anyone who is persuaded by what they tell you can't know their own mind. Gut feeling is always best, some you win, some you lose, thats life.

No one knows what will happen now, we didn't forty years ago when we were shanghaied into joining what was then the Common market, we certainly didn't know it would turn into the beurocratic and no doubt corrupt organisation it is today. Someone posted earlier that we should have stayed and left it to those we elected to re -negotiate, well, they haven't been able to do so in forty years so it was never going to happen in the next forty.

I could go on and on but i won't. Stop being so bloody nasty and bitter toward those that didn't vote the way YOU wanted, (there are over a million and and quarter of us) and were not all stupid, and were not all old.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 356
ginnywings
June 25, 2016, 1:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
And going back to Chris's point earlier, I do strongly believe that a high proportion of the people who voted out are extremely thick people who based their decision on lies and untruths. I saw loads of it peddled on facebook by family and friends who I personally know are as thick as pigshit. The hysteria on polling day that there was an M15 conspiracy to rig the vote was typical of the mentality and level of education of many. My work colleague worked in a voting station and said 75% of the people where coming in and insisting on having a pen rather than a pencil 'coz it'll be rubbed out and changed otherwise'.

I don't begrudge any person who voted out if they genuinely looked into it carefully and decided based on a reasonable judgement. What I find infuriating is that the difference in votes was less than 2 million and I am certain that there were more than 2 million fuckwits who voted out on the basis if lies.

My feelings exactly. I have 2 nephews who voted out and they haven't got a clue about the issues outside of immigration. Their only knowledge of Europe is getting drunk in Magaluf.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 356
36 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.