Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 25 Guests

We're out of the EU!

This thread currently has 39,460 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 All Recommend Thread
mariner91
July 28, 2016, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Grim74
The slump in economic growth 😂😂 sorry to urine on your bonfire I know it hurts hearing all the good positives news regarding Brexit but the economic facts from the ONS show that growth as shot up.

Well that's not actually true. The economy grew in the months leading up to the referendum. But the amount of growth slowed in May compared to March and April, possibly due to uncertainty caused by the referendum but there is no way to be certain. You can crow about how great the economy is now when we get the figures for June, July and August in late September, if it has grown that is. We'll see, fingers crossed it does cause no matter what you voted for, nobody wants a recession!

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 350 - 356
Marinerz93
July 28, 2016, 8:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Chrisblor

The money we send to the EU will be re-directed into things like the NHS and offering tax breaks to companies to try and get them to stay here after we invoke article 50. Right now approximately £800m a year is provided by the EU to Universities for research (for reference our own Government spends £5.2 billion a year on research). Of course Universities constantly lobby Government for more research funding, but the Tories aren't going to say 'oh here's an extra £800m a year to make up for all that money you've lost now we've left the EU'.

My University is not 'losing money' (yet anyway - Brexit may change that), in recent years it has been making a comfortable annual surplus. It has however hugely slashed staff costs from approximately 60% of it's gross income five years ago to 52% today. The money saved on staffing has been spent on large capital projects (new buildings / campus infrastructure) and a similar trend has occurred across the whole sector. Academic staff in Universities are experts in their fields and incredibly experienced - their pay reflects this and I'm not sure why you feel they are overpaid. A Teaching Associate delivers Undergraduate level seminars / tutorials / lectures etc - far beyond the scope of a school teaching assistant.

I'm sorry to hear your daughter had a bad experience with her Professor. It's likely too late now, but there are recognised complaint channels for students to complain about the conduct of University staff. If your daughter was specifically required to carry out extra work and belittled in front of an audience I can't see why a complaint wouldn't have been upheld. In terms of their value, professors are remunerated based on the money they bring in to Universities through their research, like I said earlier teaching only forms a small part of their job.

Universities at the end of the day are businesses and will charge students as much as they are allowed to by the Government. Yes, the current system is unfair to poorer students, and the grants and loans now available are very poor indeed. Most Universities do however offer busaries to applicants from low-income households, but it's really up to the Government to restructure the way Higher Education is funded if they want to make degree level study more accessible to all.

1. It was stated in the debates Universities would still get the funding because the money wouldn't be going through a 3rd party to then come back.

2. My daughter and others complained officially but it seems they value the professors more than the students. I know there are some great professors but the standard should be the best not what suits their ego or time.

3. No doubt some of them are experts but there are many experts, the draw isn't teaching or guiding students it is on their research and then courting funding, touring, students are 3rd or 4th in line. I mentioned time above because they spend more time on their own research and in some cases getting the students to do their work for them by telling them what they have to do their dissertations on. The gravy train doesn't stop there, professors going on seminars say to Belgium for a week, taking a phd student or two all paid for by the University, giving a 20 minute speech then having the rest of the week as a jolly. I'm sure there are plenty of other extravagant stuff that you are keeping under your hat.

4. Universities are businesses you say, and will charge as much as they are allowed, this really says it all doesn't it.

5. Bursaries are only available to low income houses, it gets you when you earn just above that level and depending where you do your degree depends on the cost of living. My daughter in Hull didn't need hardly any extra help but my son living in London, it was a nightmare.

Maybe I am cynical because of my daughter and her friends experience.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 351 - 356
Grim74
July 28, 2016, 10:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Quoted from mariner91

Well that's not actually true. The economy grew in the months leading up to the referendum. But the amount of growth slowed in May compared to March and April, possibly due to uncertainty caused by the referendum but there is no way to be certain. You can crow about how great the economy is now when we get the figures for June, July and August in late September, if it has grown that is. We'll see, fingers crossed it does cause no matter what you voted for, nobody wants a recession!

To say I am crowing about how great the economy is post brexit is unfair, ever since the Referendum result although ecstatic I have managed to stay quiet to a degree.
Check my earlier posts Immediately after the result, and you will see that I never came on this forum to gloat and rub it in to the remainers on here.

When I have posted about my Brexit delight it has only been in response to the doom mongers and their constant negativity, most have gone very quite now to be fair except to gloat over any scraps of bad news now and then.

I never did believe in the scare story's from the establishment but I did expect some turmoil, and I will agree we are not out of the woods for a few years, but can I ask all considering is it now wrong to defend my decision a decision I was so passionate for?

And is it wrong to now be encouraged when as it stands we are hearing about unemployment being down, wages are up, retails sales up, and UK borrowing slowing, exports up, the FTSE 100 up the FTSE 250 at a near record  high, and we hear about countries that are queuing up to do trade deals with us, and not a day goes by without the announcement of a major investment in the UK. This doesn't sound to me apocalypse Brexit but the remainers don't want to acknowledges it.

I spoke to numerous people during the referendum and what made me proud was that there were some people out there, even though fearing the worse with being told they could possibly lose their jobs etc, the still voted for Brexit out of principle for the good of the Country.

And then on the other side of the coin I come on here to hear a bleating lefty remainer worried about his EU financed university, because other universities around the world have caught them up and are now sounding like they are offering a better service.... Well that's global capitalism and it will soon be time to compete when we get out the stinking EU, and just maybe even offer a better chance for more of our own students to attend.

He sounds like someone owning a coffee shop on the high street for a number of years, and then someone else comes along and opens another coffee shop but selling a better product at a cheaper price, and then starting to moan when you lose your customers FFS.

I beg to differ when You say no one wants a recession because sadly I believe there is many out there who would love, just love to see a recession just to prove themselves right. But as I say we are not there yet and there are still ups and downs to come, I did even predict a recession myself early this year regardless how the vote went but I am now more optimistic then ever that we will pull through this, and become Once again one of the great trading nations in charge of own destiny.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 352 - 356
Chrisblor
July 28, 2016, 11:57pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
You've completely misrepresented my argument (no surprises there since you've previously shown yourself totally incapable of comprehending every piece of evidence I've presented).

British Universities are not being outperformed by those in other countries. 18 of the top 100 Universities in the World are in the UK. Only the US has more in the top 100 with 30 (source). We comfortably have the best performing Universities in the entire World when you take into the relatively small size of our country and population. Students are choosing to go elsewhere due to the British Government making it harder and more expensive to obtain a visa (source), and more will now head to Australia, Canada and America due to the uncertainty caused by Brexit. I posted evidence to show 47% of International Students felt that Brexit has made the UK a less attractive study destination, but again you've chosen to totally ignore that - http://monitor.icef.com/2016/05/brexit-discourage-international-students-choosing-uk/

Clearly we are living in a post-fact society where people are happy to ignore evidence and reject the views of experts simply because they feel they're right. God help us.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 353 - 356
Grim74
July 29, 2016, 7:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Quoted from Chrisblor
You've completely misrepresented my argument (no surprises there since you've previously shown yourself totally incapable of comprehending every piece of evidence I've presented).

British Universities are not being outperformed by those in other countries. 18 of the top 100 Universities in the World are in the UK. Only the US has more in the top 100 with 30 (source). We comfortably have the best performing Universities in the entire World when you take into the relatively small size of our country and population. Students are choosing to go elsewhere due to the British Government making it harder and more expensive to obtain a visa (source), and more will now head to Australia, Canada and America due to the uncertainty caused by Brexit. I posted evidence to show 47% of International Students felt that Brexit has made the UK a less attractive study destination, but again you've chosen to totally ignore that - http://monitor.icef.com/2016/05/brexit-discourage-international-students-choosing-uk/

Clearly we are living in a post-fact society where people are happy to ignore evidence and reject the views of experts simply because they feel they're right. God help us.

So to clarify you are telling me that you have been losing non EU foreign students over the last few years because of the discriminatory increased costs to them, (in my opinion to encourage open door EU students) and these students are now going elsewhere in the world. You also say you have lost out on EU funding even though we are still part of the European Union, but you think we are still better off being in this Union and you put the blame for the university's financial difficulties solely on the Brexit vote. Can you honestly not see the problem with this?

Are you seriously basing a poll carried out by a biased organisation as factual evidence! I've heard better evidence from creationists 😂
You have already said our university's are the best in the world so do you really expect me to believe a rich Indian or Chinese student will give a excrement,  that we are not ruled by the corrupt EU anymore it's total BS.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 354 - 356
mariner91
July 29, 2016, 9:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Grim74

So to clarify you are telling me that you have been losing non EU foreign students over the last few years because of the discriminatory increased costs to them, (in my opinion to encourage open door EU students) and these students are now going elsewhere in the world. You also say you have lost out on EU funding even though we are still part of the European Union, but you think we are still better off being in this Union and you put the blame for the university's financial difficulties solely on the Brexit vote. Can you honestly not see the problem with this?

Are you seriously basing a poll carried out by a biased organisation as factual evidence! I've heard better evidence from creationists 😂
You have already said our university's are the best in the world so do you really expect me to believe a rich Indian or Chinese student will give a excrement,  that we are not ruled by the corrupt EU anymore it's total BS.

If they were training to be a doctor or a dentist then potentially they might as it's yet to be seen how leaving the EU will affect where the qualification is automatically accepted. Currently the degree allows you to automatically qualify for any EU country, may not be the case any more and could end up like the USA where if you have a dentist or doctors degree from the UK you have to pass further exams and even do more studying in the case of Dentistry in order to qualify there.

As far as the funding part goes, a lot of university funding will be going towards research. This is funding that isn't guaranteed year on year like the farmer's subsidies but will need to be applied for, often with two or more universities making a joint application as they're studying the same thing. If other universities undertaking the same research fear that the UK won't be eligible for the funding in two years (research can take years) which could compromise the study then they might choose to apply with other universities not based in the UK.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 355 - 356
Mariner93er
July 31, 2016, 11:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Marinerz93

3. No doubt some of them are experts but there are many experts, the draw isn't teaching or guiding students it is on their research and then courting funding, touring, students are 3rd or 4th in line. I mentioned time above because they spend more time on their own research and in some cases getting the students to do their work for them by telling them what they have to do their dissertations on. The gravy train doesn't stop there, professors going on seminars say to Belgium for a week, taking a phd student or two all paid for by the University, giving a 20 minute speech then having the rest of the week as a jolly. I'm sure there are plenty of other extravagant stuff that you are keeping under your hat.

Maybe I am cynical because of my daughter and her friends experience.

Totally untrue from my experience (I graduated last year). Never once heard of or had first hand experience of a member of staff related to my course not giving their all to helping the students. They were always there to help as far was as possible, and you have to remember that unviersity is not like school or college where you are spoon fed the information, you have to be a lot more independent. Ultimately it seems your daughter was unlucky and had a bad experience with a lecturer, but I agree the cynic is coming out in you because there will always be a few bad eggs in any profession but you can't tarnish everyone with the same brush.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 356 - 356
36 Pages Prev ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.