Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

We're out of the EU!

This thread currently has 40,038 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Vance Warner
June 25, 2016, 9:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,814
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from cmackenzie4
What I don't like about the remain camp is that they think people who voted leave are some kind of idiots or thick, we have a right to vote how we see fit, it's a democracy isn't it??

Of course not all leave voters are thick, just as not all remain voters are geniuses (I had to check how to spell that).

However, the trends at the bottom of this link are quite unbelievable. The graphs showing qualifications in particular show a clear divide. Having qualifications doesn't guarantee intelligence but it's as good a measure as any other.

http://www.theguardian.com/pol.....results-and-analysis

Everyone is entitled to vote in a referendum but it's very frustrating as a remain voter to speak to people who have no concept of the wider issues involved. That's a massive fault of the remain campaign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 356
Bawmariner
June 25, 2016, 9:53am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1
I think I could have stomaced Brexit if there had been a clear plan on the table we were voting for. That way the uncertainty would have been minimised. What we have is nothing short of disgusting. No plan, no clue, no prospects.

I think what we will end up with is going to be very similar to what we have now without the vote to in the eu parliament. Very clever Britain. Think about it. We want to be in the single market but that needs us to comply to EU product regulations and standards. We can't leave the freedom of movement area with out dismantling the common travel area.

Tell me people who voted leave what happens now? What do you want?We'll now have 3 years of economic problems. What will we get for it.  We can't do what we want because the EU won't let us. Spain have got a bargaining chip in Gibraltar, France have Calais. Can you really foresee us coming out of negotiations better than how we are now.

The older generation did have it better than today's with jobs. There was full employment people can't deny otherwise. I recently had an interview. I got to the last 2 people from over 300 applicants after a 6 month process. The company told me to apply for another job as they were keen on hiring me. I apply and get rejected at the first stage. I now have to spend more time in education and face trying to get a job in a recession next year. Thanks people who voted leave.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 356
Rick12
June 25, 2016, 9:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Vance Warner

Of course not all leave voters are thick, just as not all remain voters are geniuses (I had to check how to spell that).

However, the trends at the bottom of this link are quite unbelievable. The graphs showing qualifications in particular show a clear divide. Having qualifications doesn't guarantee intelligence but it's as good a measure as any other.

Everyone is entitled to vote in a referendum but it's very frustrating as a remain voter to speak to people who have no concept of the wider issues involved. That's a massive fault of the remain campaign.
To be fair that is a good graph and a interesting one at that.I read a fair few broadsheets citing the reasons for and against of remaining in the EU and watched all the tv debates but what tipped it for me was the immigration problem which has been a massive problem in recent years and was the concern of many others as well.Had the government had  more control of this  Iam sure me and many others would have voted to remain

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 356
GrimRob
June 25, 2016, 10:11am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Vance Warner

That's very true and I share the same frustrations, but it's always been that way, and I've always been irritated by it. People have voted based on slogans since recorded history began, Tony Blair perfected the Sound Byte around the time 24-hour news came along and since then we've always had leaders who look and sound good rather than are just clever (like Gordon Brown). Unfortunately, millions of (mainly older) people are influenced by tabloid papers which exaggerate events and stories to suit their agenda.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 143 - 356
cmackenzie4
June 25, 2016, 10:27am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Vance Warner

The remain could of handled the build up to the referendum so much better though couldn't they? they were caught out a few times with lying and over exaggerating /scaremongering (just look at George Osborne for example) people have had enough and the people voted in numbers to leave, it's alright saying "we are going into the unknown" but let's face it things were not looking rosy being in the EU was it?  Now other countries seem to want out too - what a coincidence!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 356
Vance Warner
June 25, 2016, 10:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4

The remain could of handled the build up to the referendum so much better though couldn't they? they were caught out a few times with lying and over exaggerating /scaremongering (just look at George Osborne for example) people have had enough and the people voted in numbers to leave, it's alright saying "we are going into the unknown" but let's face it things were not looking rosy being in the EU was it?  Now other countries seem to want out too - what a coincidence!

5th largest economy in the world is pretty rosy to me. People's frustration with inequality in this country seems to have been taken out on the EU rather than our own government. My only hope is that now the Tories will have nothing to hide behind and the right wing press will have to focus on them a bit more.

As for other countries wanting out I presume you're talking about a minority of right wing voters in those countries. So far we've delighted Le Pen, Iran and Russia. Nice one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 356
James77
June 25, 2016, 10:54am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +53
Here's a good article about the referendum result, written by Fraser Nelson for an American audience.

I don't share his political views (Tory editor of the Spectator) but his analysis of the referendum result isn't bad at all.

It's worth a read if you want a break from all the simplistic hysteria currently knocking about:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/brexit-a-very-british-revolution-1466800383
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 356
Vance Warner
June 25, 2016, 10:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

That's very true and I share the same frustrations, but it's always been that way, and I've always been irritated by it. People have voted base up slogans since recorded history began, Tony Blair perfected the Sound Byte around the time 24-hour news came along and since then we've always had leaders who look and sound good rather than are just clever (like Gordon Brown). Unfortunately, millions of (mainly older) people are influenced by tabloid papers which exaggerate events and stories to suit their agenda.

Interestingly enough Liverpool voted remain unlike many other areas with a similar demographic. Is it a coincidence that they don't sell The S*n there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 356
KingstonMariner
June 25, 2016, 11:02am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from cmackenzie4

There's no two ways about it, the official remain campaign could have done better explaining the key facts and what would happen. But a lot of people weren't listening (any sensible independent advice was shouted down as "establishment scaremongering", but when the other side came out with bollox they were prepared to ignore it).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 356
RoboCod
June 25, 2016, 11:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from forza ivano

And exactly who are these pro exit dependent experts robocod? Nigel farage? Mme. le pen? There are NO credible economists who have provided a cogent argument as to how this country could prosper outside the eu. You might call them the establishment but EVERY credible body has said that it will be bad news. You cannot name a single foreign country that thought it was a good idea for us to leave. People outside the uk who gave advice were interfering mates of Cameron who had no right to express an opinion. Let's just deal with one or two facts. The pound has plummeted.that means imports are 5-10% more expensive overnight.we import far more than we export. That means your food your cars your tools your clothes will cost more.that means inflation. You get inflation you get interest rate rises which means your mortgage goes up. That means because wages aren't going up you have less money to spend on anything but food bills mortgage etc. That means you don't spend as much money in the shops, which means the shop lays off staff or closes down. That means more people on the dole, less money coming in tax and more money spent on tax. That means the govt has to put up taxes or cut spending even more to cover the increase in benefit payments. And so it goes on. Recession strikes people get poorer crime goes up.  But don't worry we've got rid of the immigrants and the interfering Europeans  ,and we can wave our union jacks with pride. You're living in a some sort of sixties dreamworld

I read "And exactly who are these pro exit dependent experts robocod? Nigel farage? Mme. le pen? " and read no more. DO NOT put me in the same camp as Farage, Johnson, Gove etc. There are MANY more Exit groups, just because it was hijacked by Boris and Nigel does NOT meab we all toed their line. It just shows the approach of many Pro EU voters was just as lazy and uninterested in the real core arguments as afflicted the anti-EU voters.

I despair at the whole thing, one bunch of self-made experts who base their views on what they heard on the telly against the other bunch who did the same.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 356
36 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.