13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
January 11, 2015, 8:24pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Sussexmariner

What's the gamble? What is Hurst doing this season that he hasn't done the season before  and the season before that? we will scrape into the play-offs and get beaten by much more adventurous, organise team like the season before and the season before that!!!!
we have nothing to lose in sacking Hurst, even if we don't get promoted with a new manager maybe just maybe it might not be so dire to watch

Of course it's a gamble. It would cost the best part of 100 grand to sack Hurst and appoint a succesor. That money, which we would be basically giving away, could be used for players in January who could make the crucial difference in the last half of the season. Also you might think that getting to the play-offs every year is no more than we should expect but before PH came along we never came within a sniff of them. There's no reason to think that a new manager would get to them every season just because PH has done. Whether you twist or stick, and it's not an easy decision in the position we are in.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 80 - 120
ska face
January 11, 2015, 8:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,643
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from GrimRob

Of course it's a gamble. It would cost the best part of 100 grand to sack Hurst and appoint a succesor. That money, which we would be basically giving away, could be used for players in January who could make the crucial difference in the last half of the season. Also you might think that getting to the play-offs every year is no more than we should expect but before PH came along we never came within a sniff of them. There's no reason to think that a new manager would get to them every season just because PH has done. Whether you twist or stick, and it's not an easy decision in the position we are in.

Where've you plucked that figure from?
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 120
GrimRob
January 11, 2015, 9:00pm

Quoted from ska face

Where've you plucked that figure from?

A year of Hurst's wages, and any signing on fee for a new man. It might be more if the new manager wants to bring other staff here to work with him.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 82 - 120
barralad
January 11, 2015, 9:02pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ginnywings

I'd love to but we need to start playing some first.  

You do make some good points Maringer and the anti Hurst thing does tend to migrate to every thread, i agree. But there is an undeniable undercurrent of "us and them" sometimes. The mere mention that there might be something not quite rosy in the camp immediately gets a barrage of red crosses, as though the author is making it up just to cause trouble. I've heard some interesting rumours this week, which i would once have shared but such is the way of it on here lately, i shall save myself the grief. Myself and Grim Reaper have alluded to the Aswad situation for instance and immediately received nothing but red crosses and cries of bullshit, he's the best left back in the league.

Think i'll go back into hibernation for a while.

I cannot believe someone of your calibre can be remotely bothered about ticks and crosses. As I've said numerous times:- I've turned them off-it's liberating

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 120
ska face
January 11, 2015, 9:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,643
Gold Stars: 840
Yeah - I know what it's for, just wondered how you'd arrived at £100k?
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 120
forza ivano
January 11, 2015, 9:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,167
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ska face

Well hurst isn't going to be on anything less than a thousand per week and then you've got the question of what happens to the invisible man aka chris Doig
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 120
TAGG
January 11, 2015, 9:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from GrimRob

Of course it's a gamble. It would cost the best part of 100 grand to sack Hurst and appoint a succesor. That money, which we would be basically giving away, could be used for players in January who could make the crucial difference in the last half of the season. Also you might think that getting to the play-offs
every year is no more than we should expect but before PH came along we never came within a sniff of them. There's no reason to think that a new manager would get to them every season just because PH has done. Whether you twist or stick, and it's not an easy decision in the position we are in.

It would only be 100k to add to the rest of the money wasted paying off the rubbish he's (Fenty) brought into the club.
We don't want to be in the playoffs season after season what I expect is a manager that will deliver the championship. Sick to flipping death of people taking second best as success.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 120
GrimRob
January 11, 2015, 9:11pm

Quoted from ska face

I said the best part of 100K. Mike Newell was on 1500 a week basic salary I think from his writ so assuming PH is on the similar a few years later in a lower division that would be 80 grand. It might be a bit less, but it's still going to be well over 50 just to pay him off.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 87 - 120
GrimRob
January 11, 2015, 9:13pm

Quoted from TAGG

It would only be 100k to add to the rest of the money wasted paying off the rubbish he's (Fenty) brought into the club.
We don't want to be in the playoffs season after season what I expect is a manager that will deliver the championship. Sick to flipping death of people taking second best as success.

Glad you're not Chairman you'd be sacking someone every season.  

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 88 - 120
ackomariner
January 11, 2015, 9:27pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from GrimRob

I said the best part of 100K. Mike Newell was on 1500 a week basic salary I think from his writ so assuming PH is on the similar a few years later in a lower division that would be 80 grand. It might be a bit less, but it's still going to be well over 50 just to pay him off.

I posted after last seasons playoffs that it would've cost the club 40k to pay ph off,
The men upstairs weren't happy but didn't come up with 40k to get rid

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pivotal game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.