TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 12, 2015, 10:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GrimRob

It's not just about money though, it's about his CV. Let me remind you....

2008-2009 Ilkeston Town Play-offs Winners
2009-2010 Boston United Play-offs Winners, Northern Premier League Challenge Cup Winners
2010-2011 Boston United Play-offs (PH left before they were knocked out)
2012–2013 Grimsby Play-offs, FA Trophy Runners-up
2013–2014 Grimsby Play-offs, FA Trophy Semis

If he wasn't our manager we'd be screaming for him to be with that record. He could more or less name his job at any team in non-league. Someone like Forest Green will snap his up if we let him go. It's not a gimme that we get to the play-offs every year and have a chance of winning the title. With someone else we could well be back to play-offs once every 3 or 4 years like say Wrexham.

Depends how well they do their research Rob to match up their needs with a new manager's strengths. Having said that, possibly Hurst might be a different manager in another club. He is no mug in football terms but he may have run out of goodwill at BP and is unable to change his approach. The biggest defect is the way he obviously regards talking to the media (and therefore the fans) as a chore and gives the impression other people are inferior to him in knowledge and ability. That could be different elsewhere with a new start as could his football style.

The trouble with us fans is that we like to be enthused and we like larger than life characters. Hurst doesn't fit the BP mould on his own.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 120
1mickylyons
January 12, 2015, 10:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from GrimRob

2009-2010 Boston United Play-offs Winners, Northern Premier League Challenge Cup Winners

If he wasn't our manager we'd be screaming for him to be with that record. He could more or less name his job at any team in non-league. Someone like Forest Green will snap his up if we let him go. It's not a gimme that we get to the play-offs every year and have a chance of winning the title. With someone else we could well be back to play-offs once every 3 or 4 years like say Wrexham.

I would think GY have a much larger budget than Wrexham though Hurst seems to be going out of his way to drive down the fanbase here with his negative,boring and downright bizzare tactics at home.I would say away from home he is a very good manager at any level and tactics are usually spot on but wiping almost 4k off a gate in a few days sums his tenure up!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 120
friskneymariner
January 12, 2015, 10:21am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Remember P.H. is very aware that he is dependent on J.F. for his job.He has seen his co-manager sacked quite ruthlessly,I would say he feels very insecure in his position,which may impact his willingness to challenges J.F over budgets signings etc. so he does not wish to risk his ire by identifying issues and arguing his position so he adopts non-confrontational everything is rosy stance.Just a theory.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 120
Trawler
January 12, 2015, 10:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Marinerz93
Shove the Barnet fans in the Osmond corner and open up the main Osmond to Town fans.  

BigChris - it would help deliver a passionate vocal crowd if the club paid heed to Marinerz93 and finally trialled this oft raised suggestion.

Having only recently moved to Grimsby I am benefiting from my first season ticket in the Upper Findus.

I am amazed (and simultaneously disappointed) that 40 away fans can sound louder in the Osmond than anything mustered by the pontoon. And it's NOT because the pontoon aren't singing.  They are - in treble/quadruple the numbers - but the noise is just drifting out to sea through the open ends.

If the rest of BP can barely hear the Pontoon there's not much chance of them being moved to join in.

It's not just about the Barnet game.  We need to improve the atmosphere at BP full stop, before it's too late.  We are wasting a golden opportunity by sticking to the status quo.    The Directors sit close to my seat. I know they will be hearing the same acoustic effect.  We simply cannot make the bear pit atmosphere with a half empty football ground if our vocal fans remain in the Pontoon.   Put the fans next to each other in the Osmond. Trying this for a couple of matches can't do any harm.

Up The Mariners

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 120
mariner91
January 12, 2015, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I would think GY have a much larger budget than Wrexham though Hurst seems to be going out of his way to drive down the fanbase here with his negative,boring and downright bizzare tactics at home.I would say away from home he is a very good manager at any level and tactics are usually spot on but wiping almost 4k off a gate in a few days sums his tenure up!

That's extremely unfair, it was a local derby and just after Xmas so many exiles, such as myself, were back home and able to attend. I'd left again by NYD and I'm sure it was the same for many others. Plus the away support from Macc was much smaller. I'm not for a second saying that the performance didn't stop others coming again because I'm sure it did but to say PH alone contributed to that is an exaggeration and grossly unfair.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 120
BIGChris
January 12, 2015, 11:09am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Trawler

BigChris - it would help deliver a passionate vocal crowd if the club paid heed to Marinerz93 and finally trialled this oft raised suggestion.

Having only recently moved to Grimsby I am benefiting from my first season ticket in the Upper Findus.

I am amazed (and simultaneously disappointed) that 40 away fans can sound louder in the Osmond than anything mustered by the pontoon. And it's NOT because the pontoon aren't singing.  They are - in treble/quadruple the numbers - but the noise is just drifting out to sea through the open ends.

If the rest of BP can barely hear the Pontoon there's not much chance of them being moved to join in.

It's not just about the Barnet game.  We need to improve the atmosphere at BP full stop, before it's too late.  We are wasting a golden opportunity by sticking to the status quo.    The Directors sit close to my seat. I know they will be hearing the same acoustic effect.  We simply cannot make the bear pit atmosphere with a half empty football ground if our vocal fans remain in the Pontoon.   Put the fans next to each other in the Osmond. Trying this for a couple of matches can't do any harm.

Up The Mariners

Refer it to Nick GTFC or whatever his username is?
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 120
arryarryarry
January 12, 2015, 11:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GrimRob

Let's not forget we weren't screaming for him and Scott when Woods was finally sacked, weren't they 3rd choice?

Also if we are desperate for a manager that has won at the level of the Northern Premier League, there must be plenty out there who would jump at managing at this level.
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 120
MarinerWY
January 12, 2015, 12:04pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from friskneymariner
He has seen his co-manager sacked quite ruthlessly,

How was it ruthlessly? Rob Scott consistently acted like a child with no self-control, it was embarrasing at times.
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 120
Chrisblor
January 12, 2015, 12:09pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from BIGChris

Refer it to Nick GTFC or whatever his username is?

Doing that won't go anywhere since he's convinced all the young GTFC supporters go to matches to start fights rather than to back the players by generating an atmosphere.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 120
dapperz fun pub
January 12, 2015, 12:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Chrisblor

Doing that won't go anywhere since he's convinced all the young GTFC supporters go to matches to start fights rather than to back the players by generating an atmosphere.

What does this bloke actually do ? Stadium manager? Health safety rep ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pivotal game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.