Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Has he gone yet ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 274 Guests

Has he gone yet ?

This thread currently has 17,191 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
October 7, 2014, 7:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Ah! it's all our fault because we run players down. Doesn't happen at any other club anywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 137
grimsby pete
October 7, 2014, 8:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
So it's all our fault.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 137
Quagmire
October 7, 2014, 8:36am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from GrimRob

What we have is a small number of people with extreme views flooding the forums with one point of view to give a false impressions of the balance of opinion, you see it all the time on the Internet.

It's not a small number of people Rob, it's a significant proportion of the support.

You've only got to look at all the comments on this article, not one person is backing Hurst:

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/WON-T-EXPLAIN-TEAM-SELECTION/story-23049485-detail/story.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 137
Maringer
October 7, 2014, 8:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,468
Gold Stars: 185
I rather doubt that the usual fan moaning (which I'm sure you get at every club) has anything at all to do with a lack of signings. After all, how many potential signings are really going to check out a messageboard forum to try and judge the mood at a club before making a decision? The idea is just bizarre!

Players care about:  a) money;  b) future prospects (i.e. money);  c) location, location, location.

When you think about the fanbase, we are a relatively 'big fish' in this division in comparison to some of the other big spenders, but there is no doubt that we can't compete with the wages which have been paid by some of these smaller yet bankrolled clubs since we were relegated. What was Mangan earning at FGR, again? Wasn't it something ridiculous like £3.5k a week?!? How the hell can we compete with that? I've no doubt that some of the better players at this level would have found their way here had it not been for the big backers of Crawley/Fleetwood/FGR/Eastleigh etc raising the top end wage levels beyond our reach.

The other big issue is location. We're literally located at the end of the line and it is not too surprising if players who are settled in or around major cities are loath to move over here. The fact that so many of our players from recent seasons (and the past) have commuted from Sheffield or further away shows how few want to live in the area. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that we are in a position to offer enough money to overcome these qualms at the moment as others can pay more.

None of this changes the fact that failing to sign enough attacking players since May is Hurst's responsibility. He, himself, has been promising new attacking signings since before the start of the season but they haven't materialised, even after the injuries we have suffered in attacking positions. Another couple of decent attacking signings and I don't doubt we'd be up in the play-off positions at the moment but as it stands, we're screwed if just a couple of players have an off-day as we don't have any options on the bench!

Personally, it seems likely to me that Hurst was expecting Bogle and/or Jennings to sign for us and was holding out for this all the way up until transfer deadline day. When both decided not to come, (mostly due to location I would guess), he didn't have any other irons in the fire. Jennings doesn't seem to be much of a loss based on his form in 2014 but you would think that Bogle would certainly have improved the squad a good deal. The fact we didn't (and haven't) signed anybody in their place (Oates aside), means we are badly lacking in depth. With a bit of luck, Pittman and Arnold would have been fit, but you've obviously got a serious imbalance if you are relying on luck to do well!

The question is where do we go from here? I wouldn't have thought that getting strikers/wingers in on loan at this point in the season is very easy at all. Managers like to have attacking options available on the bench, even when players aren't getting a game, so few are going to let decent strikers or wingers depart on loan. On the other hand, defenders don't tend to be chopped and changed as much unless they are injured/playing badly. I think this is why Hurst has struggled to get attacking players in, but it hasn't been a problem to get decent defenders on loan.

I can only think that the most likely signings are either going to be young, almost untested players such as Oates or, alternatively, more experienced players coming back from injury and looking to work on their fitness. Both types of player have their risks, but we really don't have too many other options at the moment, so I just hope we manage to get some decent ones in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 137
Quagmire
October 7, 2014, 9:08am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Maringer

Players care about:  a) money;  b) future prospects (i.e. money);  c) location, location, location.

I'd also add in length of contract in there as well.  We only seem willing to offer one year deals nowadays, there isn't a great deal of security there for a player.

If you were a player thinking of joining the club and looked at the history over recent seasons you'd notice we tend to only offer one year deals, sign 10+ players each summer, and end up releasing 70% or more of them a year later.

Players sign in January and 9 times out of 10 don't start the following season here.

There's no real stability there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 137
GrimRob
October 7, 2014, 9:23am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,399
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Quagmire

It's not a small number of people Rob, it's a significant proportion of the support.

You've only got to look at all the comments on this article, not one person is backing Hurst:

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/WON-T-EXPLAIN-TEAM-SELECTION/story-23049485-detail/story.html

You may be right but we have a fan base of at least five thousand people. Only a tiny percentage express their opinion online and it tends to be those with the most extreme views.

The best gauge of public opinion is numbers through the turnstile.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 95 - 137
ginnywings
October 7, 2014, 9:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
Hursts view of the situation.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/ASSURANCES-FUTURE/story-23054114-detail/story.html

The fact it is being talked about says to me that he is under pressure, despite what he says.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 137
ginnywings
October 7, 2014, 9:42am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GrimRob

You may be right but we have a fan base of at least five thousand people. Only a tiny percentage express their opinion online and it tends to be those with the most extreme views.

Why is it that those who want a change are expressing "extreme views" and are only a "tiny percentage". You keep repeating this but it is simply not true.

I suppose those of you who are happy with the current situation have eminently sensible views and are in the vast majority.

I think not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 137
BIGChris
October 7, 2014, 9:42am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from GrimRob

Will be interesting how many go tonight. Weather isnt great and i would be surprised if we get 3000
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 7, 2014, 9:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from ginnywings
Hursts view of the situation.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/ASSURANCES-FUTURE/story-23054114-detail/story.html

The fact it is being talked about says to me that he is under pressure, despite what he says.

Well I am sure tonight if we lose or draw will see him shitting his pants but if we win he will no doubt give the impression all is rosy.

by the way who are favourites for tonights game paul ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Has he gone yet ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.