14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 1:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
[img]http://www.quickmeme.com/img/e8/e8f27880356416f9f0a69c2b76091feb375a3268fa160656fc2168657ef7ef7f.jpg[/img]

Come on john ffs put us out our misery !

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
gtfc98
October 6, 2014, 1:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
Quoted from jonnyboy82
[img]http://www.quickmeme.com/img/e8/e8f27880356416f9f0a69c2b76091feb375a3268fa160656fc2168657ef7ef7f.jpg[/img]

another thread? really?

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 1:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

another thread? really?

well you like commenting on em.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 137
gtfc98
October 6, 2014, 1:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

well you like commenting on em.

Nice of you to start them for my enjoyment

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

Nice of you to start them for my enjoyment

No worries.  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 137
MeanwoodMariner
October 6, 2014, 1:43pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
There's no obvious sign that a sacking is close to happening is there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
There's no obvious sign that a sacking is close to happening is there?

No unfortunatley but i can at least hope.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 137
denni266
October 6, 2014, 1:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
AS much as i would like him and his whippet and flat cap to dissapear down the 180 I dont think he will go just yet, its all gonna be down to money, and  with this bloody new ground thing { that dont look like its gonna happen for at least 5 yrs if we are lucky }  ther is less to splash around. The thing is we need a team to play there, and at this rate we could easy be one or two leagues lower
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 137
jimgtfc
October 6, 2014, 1:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Whether we like it or not he's not going anywhere any time soon. So let's stop all this nonsense and get behind the team tomorrow night.

UTM!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 2:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc
Whether we like it or not he's not going anywhere any time soon. So let's stop all this nonsense and get behind the team tomorrow night.

UTM!

As much as i appreciate what your saying im not going to another match while he is in charge.

For all that will i commend your commitment.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 137
gtfc98
October 6, 2014, 2:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

As much as i appreciate what your saying im not going to another match while he is in charge.

For all that will i commend your commitment.

Even if he turns it around and gets us to the playoff final?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 2:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

No.

We all know how playoffs and big pressure games end up when paul is around.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 137
ackomariner
October 6, 2014, 2:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from gtfc98

Hope he doesn't get the chance to get us to the playoff final.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 137
kingster72
October 6, 2014, 2:28pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Shows what a fool Fenty is, PH should have gone when Scott went, he should have gone before the run in last season, should have gone after the play-off failiure, should have gone after 3 games this and defo after this last week, but ain't & things will only get worse, even though we think it can't get any worse!  
A massive fail all round, is fail, Fenty's fave word?  It's stamped all over his reign of GTFC.  
I am so disappointed today that it appears we are to bumble on into further oblivion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 137
ackomariner
October 6, 2014, 2:33pm

Cocktail Drinker
I take it that the rumour of a board meeting today was false then, not heard owt.....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 137
Stranger in the Park
October 6, 2014, 3:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
Would all the moaning morons who state that they will not be attending any more games please extend that also to not posting on here as well. Personally I'm sick of the constant negativity on here when we are supposed to be supporters - for good or bad !  GTFC is not a premiership club with cash to splash.Without JF there would be no budget so get real all you prophets of doom. Football ,no matter what league , is a lottery. A thousand different factors can affect any game and the outcome is never easy to predict. We have what we have here at Grimsby and there is no saying a change of ownership or management would change the teams fortunes- a prime example is Forrest Green who have had more cash thrown at them than Town.We have no God given right to be a "big time" club just because we might have a bigger population than some of our opponents. Just looking around the town clearly shows that the few multi-national employers show no rush to support the club financially and this just leaves a handful of small business' to keep the club afloat.One day the wheels of fortune might turn our way but until then just enjoy and support your club regardless. If you don't like what you see then simply walk away and find something else to fill your time on a Saturday afternoon but do us all a favour and stop carping on and on in multiple threads on here !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 137
ivanosandwich
October 6, 2014, 3:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 15
Would all the moaning morons who state that they will not be attending any more games please extend that also to not posting on here as well. Personally I'm sick of the constant negativity on here when we are supposed to be supporters - for good or bad !  GTFC is not a premiership club with cash to splash.Without JF there would be no budget so get real all you prophets of doom. Football ,no matter what league , is a lottery. A thousand different factors can affect any game and the outcome is never easy to predict. We have what we have here at Grimsby and there is no saying a change of ownership or management would change the teams fortunes- a prime example is Forrest Green who have had more cash thrown at them than Town.We have no God given right to be a "big time" club just because we might have a bigger population than some of our opponents. Just looking around the town clearly shows that the few multi-national employers show no rush to support the club financially and this just leaves a handful of small business' to keep the club afloat.One day the wheels of fortune might turn our way but until then just enjoy and support your club regardless. If you don't like what you see then simply walk away and find something else to fill your time on a Saturday afternoon but do us all a favour and stop carping on and on in multiple threads on here !

Excellent post.

Well said.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 137
grimsby pete
October 6, 2014, 3:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I think that pic should say " Has he gone yet "

Well the answer is no !!!!!!!!!

BUT

If we lose tomorrow  ?????????

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 137
denni266
October 6, 2014, 4:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129

I sir will post when i want, and what i want ,  i am not happy with a lot of things and will say so when i want. go and polish your rose tinted glasses.. and to coin a phrase.. if you dont ilke it dont come on here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 137
ackomariner
October 6, 2014, 4:31pm

Cocktail Drinker

Will all you tints brigade stop calling us morons  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 137
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 6, 2014, 4:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
I think a lot of people have stopped coming to comment on here

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 137
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2014, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230

Thanks John  
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 137
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2014, 4:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I ain't walking away from 45 years of supporting GTFC on the say-so of you or anyone else, nor, unless told otherwise, am I going to stop having an opinion either. If you don't like the reality of where the club is (the lowest point in its' history) from the eyes of those of us who have seen good and bad times, then don't bother reading our posts because until we grasp the nettle and put the fire back in the belly of the fans, we are going nowhere.

Blundell Park was like a morgue last Tuesday and the only thing that fired the fans up was Richard Brodie - that's how bad it was!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 137
barralad
October 6, 2014, 5:09pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from ackomariner
I take it that the rumour of a board meeting today was false then, not heard owt.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 137
friskneymariner
October 6, 2014, 5:12pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Totally agree Old Codger.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 137
fishkeeper
October 6, 2014, 5:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +136

Who the hell do you think you are the if you don't like other people voicing their  views then YOU GO ELSE WHERE . The PAYING supporting have every right to expect better than some of the sh** that been dished up the last few yrs . So up yours from someone who has been watching town for 50yrs  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 137
MeanwoodMariner
October 6, 2014, 5:30pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I ain't walking away from 45 years of supporting GTFC on the say-so of you or anyone else, nor, unless told otherwise, am I going to stop having an opinion either. If you don't like the reality of where the club is (the lowest point in its' history) from the eyes of those of us who have seen good and bad times, then don't bother reading our posts

I think it's the relentless nature of the Hurst/Fenty out posts that is the problem. The same handful of posters are saying the same thing over and over and over again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 137
Grantham_Mariner
October 6, 2014, 5:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Common denominator ?

Dave Moore !?!

When PH goes, should he go as well?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 137
Quagmire
October 6, 2014, 5:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +929
Gold Stars: 43

The same handful of posters are saying the same thing over and over and over again.

The same can be said for the rose tinted brigade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 137
ackomariner
October 6, 2014, 5:48pm

Cocktail Drinker

I think it's the relentless nature of the Hurst/Fenty out posts that is the problem. The same handful of posters are saying the same thing over and over and over again.

And the same ones defending the slide of Grimsby Town football club

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 137
Garth
October 6, 2014, 5:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25

Because its the topic thats the most current/important and crucial to our future at this moment in time whichever side of the fence you fall
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 6:00pm
Vodka Drinker

And the same handful of posters who say the same thing over again that are happy at the way things are or who want for some deluded reason to give paul more time.

That is a worry.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 137
MeanwoodMariner
October 6, 2014, 6:01pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Quagmire

The same can be said for the rose tinted brigade

So you agree that people are just repeating themselves ad nauseam?
People are obviously free to post whatever they want as many times as they want but they must then accept people will get utterly bored of it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 137
MeanwoodMariner
October 6, 2014, 6:03pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

And the same handful of posters who say the same thing over again that are happy at the way things are

I've not read a single post on here for a long time saying they are happy at the way things are. Not one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 137
ackomariner
October 6, 2014, 6:05pm

Cocktail Drinker

So you agree that people are just repeating themselves ad nauseam?
People are obviously free to post whatever they want as many times as they want but they must then accept people will get utterly bored of it.

Well I for one will keep at it until ph is not our manager. So get prepared to read loads more

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 137
ackomariner
October 6, 2014, 6:07pm

Cocktail Drinker

I've not read a single post on here for a long time saying they are happy at the way things are. Not one.

Grimrob for starters

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 6:08pm
Vodka Drinker

No i wont stop but thanks for your input.

And the way you are trying to patronise some fans because you dont agree is just brilliant.

If you like the way things are then great but dont expect me or some others to agree.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 137
MeanwoodMariner
October 6, 2014, 6:30pm

Champagne Drinker
So far Grimrob is the only person being offered up as someone who relentless posts the same thing over and over again with rose-tinted specs.

I notice he hasn't actually posted anything today. I also note that he posts tend to be varied, concise and backed up with reasoned arguments, whether I agree with him or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 137
MeanwoodMariner
October 6, 2014, 6:32pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

And the same handful of posters who say the same thing over again that are happy at the way things are  

Can you name them?

I'm not even criticising your views but the idea that there is an equivalent group of pro-Hurst supporters starting endless threads and relentlessly repeating "Hurst in" is simply not true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 137
grimps
October 6, 2014, 6:32pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46

Yeah lets all keep our gobs shut and accept garbage every week eh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 137
jimgtfc
October 6, 2014, 6:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Football fans are so fickle it's unbearable. Won't come until Hurst is out??? I bet you'd be back if we ended up playing a decent side in the FA cup like last season, or managed to scramble our way back to Wembley somehow this season. Shocking lack of loyalty. Your no better than the Man Utd fans who wouldn't attend whilst Moyes was in charge last year.

The die hards will be there tomorrow night, the glories might not be.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 137
grimsby pete
October 6, 2014, 6:49pm

Exile
I have been accused of saying the same old thing time and time again,

BUT

Until last week I have backed Hurst then I said he needs a bit more time,

Now I am saying, he should go,

Now I am saying he should go,

Now I am saying he should go.

oops !!!!

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 137
MeanwoodMariner
October 6, 2014, 6:49pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I have been accused of saying the same old thing time and time again,

BUT

Until last week I have backed Hurst then I said he needs a bit more time,

Now I am saying, he should go,

Now I am saying he should go,

Now I am saying he should go.

oops !!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 137
Rodley Mariner
October 6, 2014, 6:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
I have no problem if people think he should be sacked and explain their reasoning though I disagree with them at the moment. What I'm sick of is the comments towards PH which seem personal and the people who'll clearly take delight if/when he's dismissed because I think he's a decent, honest bloke doing his best. Whether that best will be good enough I don't know and if it isn't he'll have to go  but the clamour to see someone trying their best made redundant is pretty unedifying in some posters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 137
grimsby pete
October 6, 2014, 6:59pm

Exile
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I have no problem if people think he should be sacked and explain their reasoning though I disagree with them at the moment. What I'm sick of is the comments towards PH which seem personal and the people who'll clearly take delight if/when he's dismissed because I think he's a decent, honest bloke doing his best. Whether that best will be good enough I don't know and if it isn't he'll have to go  but the clamour to see someone trying their best made redundant is pretty unedifying in some posters.

To be fair Hurst knew the risks when he took the job,

He said nothing when his mate of numerous years was sacked,

At the end of last season he sacked a few players himself,

If he is still with us at the end of this season he will sack a few more,

So do not feel sorry for him,

As Grim Rob keeps saying, he will walk into another job.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 137
1mickylyons
October 6, 2014, 7:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I can go along with the reasoning in this post and I agree it`s awful people want him out BUT he isn`t helping himself with his brand of non football that`s been bestowed on us the lack of tactical nouse in games that really matter and his puzzling decision to leave our most creative player on the bench for 70 mins Saturday when we were desperate for 3 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 137
fishkeeper
October 6, 2014, 7:20pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc
Football fans are so fickle it's unbearable. Won't come until Hurst is out??? I bet you'd be back if we ended up playing a decent side in the FA cup like last season, or managed to scramble our way back to Wembley somehow this season. Shocking lack of loyalty. Your no better than the Man Utd fans who wouldn't attend whilst Moyes was in charge last year.

total rot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc

Another who seems to think he is a better fan just because he will go no matter what happens on the pitch.

Not that i have to justify to you or any others but gtfc have had my money and support all over the country for as long as i can remember but the lack of leadership from the chairman to the manager has finally taken its toll on me.

I find our position unacceptable and many others have had enough too , some will still attend some wont but for me until john acts i wont give another penny to watch the absolute dross we get served up he seems to have had a long enough crack at it.

just because you or some others will still go please don't make out you are in any way more of a fan than me.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 137
mike502
October 6, 2014, 7:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from jimgtfc
Your no better than the Man Utd fans who wouldn't attend whilst Moyes was in charge last year.

Maybe some of them will hire a trawler with "Hurst Out" painted on it to sail up the Humber during a match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 137
malkamalka
October 6, 2014, 7:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
What's the chances of the "Hurst Out" brigade being the same people as the "Groves Out", "Slade Out" "Woods Out" and "Rodger Out" movements!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 137
rancido
October 6, 2014, 7:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from fishkeeper

total rot

How can that be " total rot " when fans have said on here that they will never attend again while PH is manager?  We have had fans say on the previous Fishy that they wouldn't attend while JF was at the club as well, was that " total rot " as well?
I wonder if these self same " never come again while Hurst is manager " brigade keep away for the last match of the season if that match meant we could be crowned Champions or already were Champions?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

How can that be " total rot " when fans have said on here that they will never attend again while PH is manager?  We have had fans say on the previous Fishy that they wouldn't attend while JF was at the club as well, was that " total rot " as well?
I wonder if these self same " never come again while Hurst is manager " brigade keep away for the last match of the season if that match meant we could be crowned Champions or already were Champions?

well lets be realistic that wont happen because we wont ever be champions with him in charge will we ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 137
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2014, 7:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I would gladly walk through the gates, pay double, and shake him by the hand and tell him that I was sorry for questioning his ability to get promotion. Is it going to happen though? Even Grim Rob is backing us to lose!
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 7:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from malkamalka
What's the chances of the "Hurst Out" brigade being the same people as the "Groves Out", "Slade Out" "Woods Out" and "Rodger Out" movements!

well this is how I stood at the time..

Hurst out -yes. should have gone end of last season.

Groves out - yes but with a heavy heart as I thought he had something to offer us.

Slade out- no, our best manager and fentys biggest mistake letting him go.

woods out- yes, should have never got the job and should have been sacked at least 15 games earlier.

Rodger out- the least said the better.

so in summary fenty has not served us fans very well when it comes to these managers has he ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 137
rancido
October 6, 2014, 7:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from jonnyboy82

well lets be realistic that wont happen because we wont ever be champions with him in charge will we ?

I don't know and neither do you. It could be unlikely but that isn't the same as " won't happen".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 137
Saudimariner
October 6, 2014, 7:50pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Common denominator ?

Dave Moore !?!

When PH goes, should he go as well?

And the groundsman, tea lady, bloke who sweeps up after the match.......... Don't be so soft!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 137
1mickylyons
October 6, 2014, 8:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from malkamalka

4/5 that`s not a bad success rate for the Fishy`s Out brigade maybe Fenty should appoint us we clearly got all those right!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 137
fishkeeper
October 6, 2014, 8:03pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I don't know and neither do you. It could be unlikely but that isn't the same as " won't happen".

yeh right we might even get into the champions league in the future and land men on mars  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 137
Marinerz93
October 6, 2014, 8:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Saudimariner

And the groundsman, tea lady, bloke who sweeps up after the match.......... Don't be so soft!

Wasn't it Neweel who got the coach driver sacked for being unlucky?

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 137
psgmariner
October 6, 2014, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Saudimariner

And the groundsman, tea lady, bloke who sweeps up after the match..........

And the fans.

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 137
GrimRob
October 6, 2014, 8:53pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ackomariner

Grimrob for starters

Utter rubbish. I have never said I was happy. My consistent line is we have a manager and a squad who can reach the top 5 in April. That is the project we embarked on in the summer and we should see it through. If we fall short then we review the situation in the summer. I would say a  lot of supporters broadly take this line. What we have is a small number of people with extreme views flooding the forums with one point of view to give a false impressions of the balance of opinion, you see it all the time on the Internet.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 60 - 137
GrimRob
October 6, 2014, 8:55pm

[quote=1122]

I would gladly walk through the gates, pay double, and shake him by the hand and tell him that I was sorry for questioning his ability to get promotion. Is it going to happen though? Even Grim Rob is backing us to lose![/quote]

I backed us to lose based upon a stats model I wrote compared to the betting market. That same stats model is suggesting to back us to win tomorrow - the bookies odds are too generous it says.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Reply: 61 - 137
fishkeeper
October 6, 2014, 9:09pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Wasn't it Neweel who got the coach driver sacked for being unlucky?

yes it was the ex driver is a friend of mine
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 137
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 6, 2014, 9:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GrimRob

Utter rubbish. I have never said I was happy. My consistent line is we have a manager and a squad who can reach the top 5 in April. That is the project we embarked in the summer and we should see it through. If we fall short then we reviewe the situation in the summer. I would say a  lot of supporters broadly take this line. What we have is a small number of people with exterme views flooding the forums with one point of view to give a false impressions of the balance of opinion, you see it all the time on the Internet.

Who exactly are the "we" who embarked on a "project" to reach the top 5 in April Rob? Not sure too many of us feel included in that "we" because in fact "we" would have liked an ambition to finish at number one and accept a playoff place only as a consolation prize. Therefore "we" can't see any reason for sticking with a "project" that looks as though it could be already on the verge of missing its modest target.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 137
jimgtfc
October 6, 2014, 9:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Another who seems to think he is a better fan just because he will go no matter what happens on the pitch.

Not that i have to justify to you or any others but gtfc have had my money and support all over the country for as long as i can remember but the lack of leadership from the chairman to the manager has finally taken its toll on me.

I find our position unacceptable and many others have had enough too , some will still attend some wont but for me until john acts i wont give another penny to watch the absolute dross we get served up he seems to have had a long enough crack at it.

just because you or some others will still go please don't make out you are in any way more of a fan than me.

How can people spit their dummy out saying they're not attending anymore and not expect criticism?

I don't like what I'm seeing at the minute either but it's never stopped me going before and I can't see it ever doing so.

I'm not saying I'm a better fan at all, just one that absolutely loves going to BP no matter what.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 137
GrimRob
October 6, 2014, 9:20pm

Who exactly are the "we" who embarked on a "project" to reach the top 5 in April Rob? Not sure too many of us feel included in that "we" because in fact "we" would have liked an ambition to finish at number one and accept a playoff place only as a consolation prize. Therefore "we" can't see any reason for sticking with a "project" that looks as though it could be already on the verge of missing its modest target.

"we" refers to the team you support by convention. Top 5 includes the one automatic promotion spot.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Reply: 65 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2014, 9:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc

How can people spit their dummy out saying they're not attending anymore and not expect criticism?

I don't like what I'm seeing at the minute either but it's never stopped me going before and I can't see it ever doing so.

I'm not saying I'm a better fan at all, just one that absolutely loves going to BP no matter what.

well good on you.

you keep going.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 137
ginnywings
October 6, 2014, 9:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from GrimRob

Utter rubbish. I have never said I was happy. My consistent line is we have a manager and a squad who can reach the top 5 in April. That is the project we embarked on in the summer and we should see it through. If we fall short then we review the situation in the summer. I would say a  lot of supporters broadly take this line. What we have is a small number of people with extreme views flooding the forums with one point of view to give a false impressions of the balance of opinion, you see it all the time on the Internet.

I do wish you would stop persisting with this argument. It is not a small number of people. I know dozens of Town fans and most of them want Hurst gone and are not happy with the dire football on offer. None of them post on this or any other internet forum.

Hurst has won 16 games in 44 We have won 4 out of the last 10 games. That is not the stats of a winning manager and is not just a recent thing. It goes back for months to last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 137
Mariners_15
October 6, 2014, 9:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings

I do wish you would stop persisting with this argument. It is not a small number of people. I know dozens of Town fans and most of them want Hurst gone and are not happy with the dire football on offer. None of them post on this or any other internet forum.

Hurst has won 16 games in 44 We have won 4 out of the last 10 games. That is not the stats of a winning manager and is not just a recent thing. It goes back for months to last season.

Agreed I think some people have their heads in the sand. I'd say a fair amount of fans now are wanting a change which is down to many reasons...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 137
friskneymariner
October 6, 2014, 9:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mariners_15

Agreed I think some people have their heads in the sand. I'd say a fair amount of fans now are wanting a change which is down to many reasons...

I would say the majority of fans are not happy with the situation,with a significant number of them wanting Hurst out.

This makes tomorrow's match a turning point for Paul Hurst,it is a must win match for him.Hope the team responds accordingly.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 137
jimgtfc
October 6, 2014, 9:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

well good on you.

you keep going.

See you at Wembley  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 137
ginnywings
October 6, 2014, 9:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
My last post has already received three crosses.  Would those people care to put a counter argument to the facts i have provided and tell me that the results and league position are actually better than i imagine and that Hurst is doing a sterling job?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 137
chaos33
October 6, 2014, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from ginnywings

I think, if we were to plot the morale of all Town fans on a line from 1 to 10, with 1 denoting 'very satisfield and hopeful and fully behind Hurst and Fenty', and 10 being utterly dejected, disillusioned and insistent on managerial/regime change', then the vast majority of supporters will be occupying points 5 - 9. You could say this is merely guess work and not in the least bit scientific - fair enough, but I've got eyes and ears and a mind of my own, and I detect that there is very little unequivocal support for the current set-up. Lose tomorrow, and the club and the suporters will be a loggerheads.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 137
ackomariner
October 6, 2014, 10:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
My last post has already received three crosses.  Would those people care to put a counter argument to the facts i have provided and tell me that the results and league position are actually better than i imagine and that Hurst is doing a sterling job?

It's not the morons Ginny  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 137
October 6, 2014, 10:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree, I am not aware of any of my Town supporting mates who are behind Hurst now. I simply don't believe in him anymore.
Reply: 74 - 137
ackomariner
October 6, 2014, 10:05pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

I think, if we were to plot the morale of all Town fans on a line from 1 to 10, with 1 denoting 'very satisfield and hopeful and fully behind Hurst and Fenty', and 10 being utterly dejected, disillusioned and insistent on managerial/regime change', then the vast majority of supporters will be occupying points 5 - 9. You could say this is merely guess work and not in the least bit scientific - fair enough, but I've got eyes and ears and a mind of my own, and I think there is very little unequivocal support for the current set-up. Lose tomorrow, and the club and the suporters will be a loggerheads.

Think the fans are already at loggerheads chaos, definite split between fans.

As for your first part from 1 to 10 .....I'm at 10  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 137
TAGG
October 6, 2014, 10:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Quoted from ginnywings

GrlmRob will keep putting his head in the sand and denying the fact that there is now a clear majority of fans wanting Hurst out.
Even he is coming over to the dark side though he did say if we didn't get 9 points from the last 4 games (last game tomorrow) he would 'twist' with the manager. Without him answering what he means by 'twist' I can only surmise that he means sack him because 7 points is the maximum we can get now.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 137
BIGChris
October 6, 2014, 10:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from chaos33

I think, if we were to plot the morale of all Town fans on a line from 1 to 10, with 1 denoting 'very satisfield and hopeful and fully behind Hurst and Fenty', and 10 being utterly dejected, disillusioned and insistent on managerial/regime change', then the vast majority of supporters will be occupying points 5 - 9. You could say this is merely guess work and not in the least bit scientific - fair enough, but I've got eyes and ears and a mind of my own, and I think there is very little unequivocal support for the current set-up. Lose tomorrow, and the club and the suporters will be a loggerheads.

I'd agree with that but i desperately want us to win tomorrow and hope we can be brave and set our stall out from the 1st minute to take the game to them. I would like nothing more than  us show the form we did against Gateshead & Alfreton and the style of the first 45 at Halifax.

Speaking to people at Dartford those in favour of change were in the minority, not hugely so, but still a majority wanting to stick at the present time. I didnt ask many after the game!!
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 137
ginnywings
October 6, 2014, 10:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from BIGChris

I'd agree with that but i desperately want us to win tomorrow and hope we can be brave and set our stall out from the 1st minute to take the game to them. I would like nothing more than  us show the form we did against Gateshead & Alfreton and the style of the first 45 at Halifax.

Speaking to people at Dartford those in favour of change were in the minority, not hugely so, but still a majority wanting to stick at the present time. I didnt ask many after the game!!

I also desperately want us to win tomorrow and keep on winning but i fear we won't because we are simply not potent enough, or have enough attacking options.

Two very tough away games coming up also.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 137
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2014, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Think that I'm a 9
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 137
JMT
October 6, 2014, 10:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +473
Gold Stars: 19
i want us to win tomorrow, i really do, but if we do win is that not just papering the cracks and buying Hurst more time? This is why i would have rather seen him gone today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 137
chaos33
October 6, 2014, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from BIGChris

Well I agree with that BC, but I'm sure I'm not in the minority when wondering where the hell that 'form and style' went? I guess, that we lost our potency when we stopped playing the formation and players we did, namely 4-3-3 with a quick tempo and high pressing ethos, and, when we lost one striker, revealing our inexcusable lack of depth in this department as our potency seemed to evaporate with the injury to Pittman. I would really like to know why Hurst deviated from that ethos to the extent that he did - sure, we lost a promising looking striker, but he dropped Paddy, restored Disley, went 4-4-2 and abandoned his 4-3-3/4-3-1-2. We shot ourselves in the foot.

Reviving this blueprint is our's and Hurst's only hope IMO.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 137
KingstonMariner
October 6, 2014, 11:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

So what you're saying is people are welcome if they just pay their money at the turnstile, shut up and accept their lot. Welcome to the 13th century folks!

Support feudalism. Your count votes!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 137
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 6, 2014, 11:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from BIGChris

I also agree with Big C on this but like others will not be attending again whilst PH in charge even though I have season ticket. Reference fans at the Dartford game the impromptu poll does not surprise me as the majority of those fans are the real backbone of the club and will be there no matter what and for a great number their Grimsby glass will always be half full where for me it is nearly empty.

I do not go to many away games nowadays but speak to fans who do and as I have said many times I believe PH is suited to managing away fixtures where grinding out results is applauded, and rightly so on many occasions. Probelem is we 10 x more fans attending home games where the more than disappointing performances are more the norm than the rarity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 137
KingstonMariner
October 6, 2014, 11:50pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc

So the people who recently followed a mid-table Conference club are glory hunters. Hmm, maybe if they've abandoned following the Spiders Web Girls Under 10s, then they're glory hunters. But anyone who's paid good money to watch some of the garbage we've been served up is not a glory hunter.

Oh my, you are sadly starved of excitement in your life if you think folk who have given up paying good money to see us get turned over by photocopier engineers, credit controllers and call centre operators, and stood on weed infested terraces at places like Braintree and Welling, are glory hunters. Maybe you should, to use the cliche, get out more my friend. But nothing too exciting at first. Try starting with the Sunday market or Pennell's Garden Centre, then work your way up to a trip to Meadow Hall.

For what it's worth, I will continue to go when I get the chance, but I completely understand those who have given up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 137
KingstonMariner
October 6, 2014, 11:52pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from malkamalka

Only Rodger Out, I'm afraid. I admit I may have got it wrong in wanting Woods In (For a Bit Longer).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 137
KingstonMariner
October 6, 2014, 11:54pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ackomariner

Think the fans are already at loggerheads chaos, definite split between fans.

As for your first part from 1 to 10 .....I'm at 10  

There was a bit of loggerheads on Saturday.  Some youngsters took umbrage at some, erm, more mature guys shouting Hurst Out, and confused it with not being supporters.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 137
BIGChris
October 7, 2014, 7:09am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I also agree with Big C on this but like others will not be attending again whilst PH in charge even though I have season ticket. Reference fans at the Dartford game the impromptu poll does not surprise me as the majority of those fans are the real backbone of the club and will be there no matter what and for a great number their Grimsby glass will always be half full where for me it is nearly empty.

I do not go to many away games nowadays but speak to fans who do and as I have said many times I believe PH is suited to managing away fixtures where grinding out results is applauded, and rightly so on many occasions. Probelem is we 10 x more fans attending home games where the more than disappointing performances are more the norm than the rarity.

Very true, the one thing that any manager is judged on is home form. That is where the problem lies in my view a) because, as you say, that is where the vast majority of fans see their team and b) that is where income is derived from.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 137
BIGChris
October 7, 2014, 7:18am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from chaos33

Well I agree with that BC, but I'm sure I'm not in the minority when wondering where the hell that 'form and style' went? I guess, that we lost our potency when we stopped playing the formation and players we did, namely 4-3-3 with a quick tempo and high pressing ethos, and, when we lost one striker, revealing our inexcusable lack of depth in this department as our potency seemed to evaporate with the injury to Pittman. I would really like to know why Hurst deviated from that ethos to the extent that he did - sure, we lost a promising looking striker, but he dropped Paddy, restored Disley, went 4-4-2 and abandoned his 4-3-3/4-3-1-2. We shot ourselves in the foot.

Reviving this blueprint is our's and Hurst's only hope IMO.

I really think the injury to Pittman and the virtual no show from Arnold left him with no way to continue the ethos set. For me the fault for that lies totally with the manager failing to bring in sufficient attacking players. I expected, last May to see investment in forwards, understand funds were earmarked, and to a degree still are, but for whatever reason Paul has been unable to bring those signings in. Oates may have a decent career ahead of him but we need a fit n able Pittman PLUS a striker with pace, power, brains & finishing ability. I know you dont get these from Tesco but having been 'trying' since May just doesnt sit comfortably. Why?
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 137
GrimRob
October 7, 2014, 7:31am

Quoted from BIGChris

I really think the injury to Pittman and the virtual no show from Arnold left him with no way to continue the ethos set. For me the fault for that lies totally with the manager failing to bring in sufficient attacking players. I expected, last May to see investment in forwards, understand funds were earmarked, and to a degree still are, but for whatever reason Paul has been unable to bring those signings in. Oates may have a decent career ahead of him but we need a fit n able Pittman PLUS a striker with pace, power, brains & finishing ability. I know you dont get these from Tesco but having been 'trying' since May just doesnt sit comfortably. Why?

The supporters were blamed by JF in the summer for their role in turning players away from the club:
"Would you join a club where the fans run you down. Rodman, Jennings and trialists to name a few when trying to clinch a deal. Sickening!!!!!!! you think its just about money!!!!!!"

See: http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1405678628/s-880357//id-880357#num8

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Reply: 89 - 137
ginnywings
October 7, 2014, 7:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Ah! it's all our fault because we run players down. Doesn't happen at any other club anywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 137
grimsby pete
October 7, 2014, 8:26am

Exile
So it's all our fault.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 137
Quagmire
October 7, 2014, 8:36am

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

What we have is a small number of people with extreme views flooding the forums with one point of view to give a false impressions of the balance of opinion, you see it all the time on the Internet.

It's not a small number of people Rob, it's a significant proportion of the support.

You've only got to look at all the comments on this article, not one person is backing Hurst:

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/WON-T-EXPLAIN-TEAM-SELECTION/story-23049485-detail/story.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 137
Maringer
October 7, 2014, 8:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
I rather doubt that the usual fan moaning (which I'm sure you get at every club) has anything at all to do with a lack of signings. After all, how many potential signings are really going to check out a messageboard forum to try and judge the mood at a club before making a decision? The idea is just bizarre!

Players care about:  a) money;  b) future prospects (i.e. money);  c) location, location, location.

When you think about the fanbase, we are a relatively 'big fish' in this division in comparison to some of the other big spenders, but there is no doubt that we can't compete with the wages which have been paid by some of these smaller yet bankrolled clubs since we were relegated. What was Mangan earning at FGR, again? Wasn't it something ridiculous like £3.5k a week?!? How the hell can we compete with that? I've no doubt that some of the better players at this level would have found their way here had it not been for the big backers of Crawley/Fleetwood/FGR/Eastleigh etc raising the top end wage levels beyond our reach.

The other big issue is location. We're literally located at the end of the line and it is not too surprising if players who are settled in or around major cities are loath to move over here. The fact that so many of our players from recent seasons (and the past) have commuted from Sheffield or further away shows how few want to live in the area. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that we are in a position to offer enough money to overcome these qualms at the moment as others can pay more.

None of this changes the fact that failing to sign enough attacking players since May is Hurst's responsibility. He, himself, has been promising new attacking signings since before the start of the season but they haven't materialised, even after the injuries we have suffered in attacking positions. Another couple of decent attacking signings and I don't doubt we'd be up in the play-off positions at the moment but as it stands, we're screwed if just a couple of players have an off-day as we don't have any options on the bench!

Personally, it seems likely to me that Hurst was expecting Bogle and/or Jennings to sign for us and was holding out for this all the way up until transfer deadline day. When both decided not to come, (mostly due to location I would guess), he didn't have any other irons in the fire. Jennings doesn't seem to be much of a loss based on his form in 2014 but you would think that Bogle would certainly have improved the squad a good deal. The fact we didn't (and haven't) signed anybody in their place (Oates aside), means we are badly lacking in depth. With a bit of luck, Pittman and Arnold would have been fit, but you've obviously got a serious imbalance if you are relying on luck to do well!

The question is where do we go from here? I wouldn't have thought that getting strikers/wingers in on loan at this point in the season is very easy at all. Managers like to have attacking options available on the bench, even when players aren't getting a game, so few are going to let decent strikers or wingers depart on loan. On the other hand, defenders don't tend to be chopped and changed as much unless they are injured/playing badly. I think this is why Hurst has struggled to get attacking players in, but it hasn't been a problem to get decent defenders on loan.

I can only think that the most likely signings are either going to be young, almost untested players such as Oates or, alternatively, more experienced players coming back from injury and looking to work on their fitness. Both types of player have their risks, but we really don't have too many other options at the moment, so I just hope we manage to get some decent ones in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 137
Quagmire
October 7, 2014, 9:08am

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Players care about:  a) money;  b) future prospects (i.e. money);  c) location, location, location.

I'd also add in length of contract in there as well.  We only seem willing to offer one year deals nowadays, there isn't a great deal of security there for a player.

If you were a player thinking of joining the club and looked at the history over recent seasons you'd notice we tend to only offer one year deals, sign 10+ players each summer, and end up releasing 70% or more of them a year later.

Players sign in January and 9 times out of 10 don't start the following season here.

There's no real stability there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 137
GrimRob
October 7, 2014, 9:23am

Quoted from Quagmire

It's not a small number of people Rob, it's a significant proportion of the support.

You've only got to look at all the comments on this article, not one person is backing Hurst:

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/WON-T-EXPLAIN-TEAM-SELECTION/story-23049485-detail/story.html

You may be right but we have a fan base of at least five thousand people. Only a tiny percentage express their opinion online and it tends to be those with the most extreme views.

The best gauge of public opinion is numbers through the turnstile.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Reply: 95 - 137
ginnywings
October 7, 2014, 9:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
Hursts view of the situation.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/ASSURANCES-FUTURE/story-23054114-detail/story.html

The fact it is being talked about says to me that he is under pressure, despite what he says.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 137
ginnywings
October 7, 2014, 9:42am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GrimRob

You may be right but we have a fan base of at least five thousand people. Only a tiny percentage express their opinion online and it tends to be those with the most extreme views.

Why is it that those who want a change are expressing "extreme views" and are only a "tiny percentage". You keep repeating this but it is simply not true.

I suppose those of you who are happy with the current situation have eminently sensible views and are in the vast majority.

I think not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 137
BIGChris
October 7, 2014, 9:42am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from GrimRob

Will be interesting how many go tonight. Weather isnt great and i would be surprised if we get 3000
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 7, 2014, 9:44am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Hursts view of the situation.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/ASSURANCES-FUTURE/story-23054114-detail/story.html

The fact it is being talked about says to me that he is under pressure, despite what he says.

Well I am sure tonight if we lose or draw will see him shitting his pants but if we win he will no doubt give the impression all is rosy.

by the way who are favourites for tonights game paul ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 7, 2014, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

Will be interesting how many go tonight. Weather isnt great and i would be surprised if we get 3000

I think around the 2900 mark, I know of at least 5 who would be going tonight usually but just have not got the motivation chris.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 137
ginnywings
October 7, 2014, 9:51am

Recovering Alcoholic
For me, going to the match is a social occasion and has always been as part of a group. That group had slowly dwindled to just me and my brother. Last Tuesday he said he couldn't be arsed anymore, so i didn't go either. It's bad enough watching shite football but doing it sat on your own is even worse. If he hasn't changed his mind from last week, then i shall be missing my third home game on the trot by choice. Can't ever remember that happening in the past
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 7, 2014, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
For me, going to the match is a social occasion and has always been as part of a group. That group had slowly dwindled to just me and my brother. Last Tuesday he said he couldn't be arsed anymore, so i didn't go either. It's bad enough watching shite football but doing it sat on your own is even worse. If he hasn't changed his mind from last week, then i shall be missing my third home game on the trot by choice. Can't ever remember that happening in the past

Exactly the same for me.

I cant really remember the last time I missed 2 home games on the spin and not really felt gutted.

I have been sucked dry by GTFC of all motivation.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 137
Grantham_Mariner
October 7, 2014, 10:01am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
I've got a season ticket, but have got a £60 job I can do instead tonight. Tonight I will be at BP but not sure I will be next time. So PH / JF and the players you have got until next month (1 Nov home to Dartford) to change my mind.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 137
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 7, 2014, 10:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Ah the old striker debate. I for one believe hurst has been very very naive in this area. His lack of expertise in knowing what a good striker is? I don't think so, any defensive player/manager should know from first hand experience what a good striker is all about. Players were mentioned during the summer about season long loans from clubs such as Leicester and Sunderland with those at the top saying how important it could be. Did this not happen due to hurst digging his heels in and only wanting his own people/targets?

As for what hurst has brought to the club in the form of wembley and 2 playoff appearances, I am very thankful for. Great wins against local rivals and cup runs. But, the inept tactical knowledge is starting to show. You've brought stability to the club, but unfortunately, the fans strive for more.

So is hurst the man to take us forward?????? I think tonight could have a big say

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 137
Garth
October 7, 2014, 10:28am

Season Ticket Holder
Hurst can spin it all he likes but its a must win tonight for him IMO so he had better treat it as such, no bull about how good the opposition are just go out and win it FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 137
TAGG
October 7, 2014, 10:39am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

The supporters were blamed by JF in the summer for their role in turning players away from the club:
"Would you join a club where the fans run you down. Rodman, Jennings and trialists to name a few when trying to clinch a deal. Sickening!!!!!!! you think its just about money!!!!!!"

See: http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1405678628/s-880357//id-880357#num8

What a load of balderdash that bloke comes out with at times.
Would you join a club that has been run down by Fenty for more than a decade and is going nowhere fast under his stewardship??????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 137
RoboCod
October 7, 2014, 10:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from GrimRob

My gauge is my son, now 12. He's been Town mad, always up for going to see the family in Gy and take in a game. That's ebbed away to almost nothing now and that's a real concern as we are set to lose a generation of Town fans who've seen nothing more than failure in their lifetimes. Good thing is he's not a Premier fan, just loves football, but it's slowly gone from listening to the commentary with me to playing out, skateboarding with his mates on a Sat afternoon, carefree and away from the crushing misery that is a weekend relying on Town to cheer you up. Sometimes i've joined him I I was a skateboard wizard back in the day).

When my lad perks up and sees this team putting on proper displays, showing guts and getting somewhere I'm sure he'll be back up for it, until then the attendance is down by at least 2....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 137
Quagmire
October 7, 2014, 10:51am

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I would suggest that he himself is a far bigger reason for players not signing for the club rather than the odd comment here and there on a fans forum.

Players, managers, agents all talk; players share the same agents.  Maybe it's Fenty's 'image' amongst the football world that is hindering our chances of signing some players?

JF described the Makofo signing as 'disasterous' - maybe it was but you shouldn't be coming out in the press making those statements.  I'm sure the agent who handled that deal isn't exactly going to give a glowing recommendation of the club to any other player who we are interested in.

Rob Scott described him as a 'clown' last week.  Fair enough, some say  it's just sour grapes, maybe it is, but it doesn't exactly show our non-Chairman in a great light.

Macca didn't have a great deal of good words about him in his book.

Adrian Forbes:

"The former Norwich and Swansea player described Fenty as a ‘very shrewd businessman’, something which showed as he tried to secure his release from the club following interest from Hayes & Yeading and Darlington. “I didn’t have much of relationship with the Chairman over my time at the club, apart from when I was trying to gain my release from the club. It struck me then that he was a very shrewd businessman with a real passion to always be right. Now whilst this scared a few people around the club, it didn’t bother or scare me one bit. I just felt he was more a businessman than a football man.”

“I do feel the club may have suffered by Mr Fenty’s view on how to run a football club but this will only become apparent over the next few months/years when we find out if a new owner can take the club forward.”

Source:  https://toogoodtogodown.wordpr.....nt-scare-me-one-bit/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 137
TAGG
October 7, 2014, 10:53am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Would you join a club that has been run down by Fenty for more than a decade and is going nowhere fast under his stewardship??????

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 137
GrimRob
October 7, 2014, 11:01am

Quoted from TAGG

I am not saying you are wrong so don't shout me down, but do players really care about what happened in seasons past? At the end of the day it's a job to them, joining a big club has to be a good move in my mind at least as you are more likely to get noticed, more likely to get promoted and less likely to get relegated. At the end of the day he was involved in the negotiations with these players and he knows the reasons they said they didn't want to come.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Reply: 110 - 137
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 7, 2014, 11:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
So what are the reasons rob?

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 137
fishkeeper
October 7, 2014, 11:56am
Beer Drinker
there is one thing hurst will never be out of work the circus are always looking for new clowns.  fenty and hurst would make a great double act then all the hurst and fenty are great  brigade can see them when ever the circus is in town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 137
BIGChris
October 7, 2014, 12:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Exactly the same for me.

I cant really remember the last time I missed 2 home games on the spin and not really felt gutted.

I have been sucked dry by GTFC of all motivation.

But have you? Really?

Surely your posts indicate that you still care?

I know i am tarred by some of being 'rose tinted' but i too share some of the views of the 'morons'  

The failure to bring in sufficient attacking strength is disturbing and in general i find the football too cautious, however if we can get the pressing & movement we showed against Alfreton then we can still make the top 5 and then have as good as  chance as anyone else.

I have seen with my own eyes what we are capable of, that makes it all the more galling, but it doesnt mean that it cannot be recaptured.

Private Message
Reply: 113 - 137
Garth
October 7, 2014, 12:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from fishkeeper
there is one thing hurst will never be out of work the circus are always looking for new clowns.  fenty and hurst would make a great double act then all the hurst and fenty are great  brigade can see them when ever the circus is in town

I know its ment as a little light hearted banter but, those statements are getting a bit close to the bullying mark for me.

Lets go all out for a win tonight UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 137
Cott_Mike
October 7, 2014, 12:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +14
I to, are fed up with what's going on at gtfc.

It's a disgrace to see us in the non league.

We need a clean sweep from top to bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 137
Maringer
October 7, 2014, 12:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Garth

I know its ment as a little light hearted banter but, those statements are getting a bit close to the bullying mark for me.

I don't think it's bullying. You can't really bully someone on a forum who doesn't even post there (Hurst, obviously, not JF).

Given our current poor position in the table and lack of attacking options, there is plenty to criticise Hurst about, but some posters just prefer name calling. Repeatedly. In as many threads as they can manage it seems.

Same goes for LJL/Hannah/Disley whoever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 137
MuddyWaters
October 7, 2014, 12:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
General malaise is very disturbing and only one man is capable of doing anything about it which, bearing in mind who it is is equally worrying.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 7, 2014, 12:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

But have you? Really?

Surely your posts indicate that you still care?

I know i am tarred by some of being 'rose tinted' but i too share some of the views of the 'morons'  

The failure to bring in sufficient attacking strength is disturbing and in general i find the football too cautious, however if we can get the pressing & movement we showed against Alfreton then we can still make the top 5 and then have as good as  chance as anyone else.

I have seen with my own eyes what we are capable of, that makes it all the more galling, but it doesnt mean that it cannot be recaptured.

I have lost the hope I suppose chris, there is only so many false dawns bizarre team selection and dropping of our best player I can take.

I will listen and keep hoping that we see the change we desperately need and crave will come.

I have never ever wanted us to lose and deep down I will always want us to win but if we do tonight them I am sure it will only be a matter of time before we have that false hope shoved down our throats again.

I can genuinely say I cant see me attending again while paul is in charge and I know that sounds a bit harsh or even sad but it is the truth.

like I said before those who will still go then well done you deserve credit but I can stand back and say I have travelled all over the country from the championship to non league and can finally say I have had enough.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 137
gtfc98
October 7, 2014, 1:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I have lost the hope I suppose chris, there is only so many false dawns bizarre team selection and dropping of our best player I can take.

I will listen and keep hoping that we see the change we desperately need and crave will come.

I have never ever wanted us to lose and deep down I will always want us to win but if we do tonight them I am sure it will only be a matter of time before we have that false hope shoved down our throats again.

I can genuinely say I cant see me attending again while paul is in charge and I know that sounds a bit harsh or even sad but it is the truth.

like I said before those who will still go then well done you deserve credit but I can stand back and say I have travelled all over the country from the championship to non league and can finally say I have had enough.

If he turns it around you'll soon be back! UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 137
friskneymariner
October 7, 2014, 1:43pm

Champagne Drinker
Do you really feel that is the reason players don't want to come her.

The football fraternity  is quite a small and closeknit community word gets out. Want do you think that the Coyne/Jeavons episode did for our reputation? look at Macca comments in his book  word get round on the footballers grapevine.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 137
BIGChris
October 7, 2014, 1:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from friskneymariner

The football fraternity  is quite a small and closeknit community word gets out. Want do you think that the Coyne/Jeavons episode did for our reputation? look at Macca comments in his book  word get round on the footballers grapevine.

Not sure exactly what was said but anyone hear Carl Magnays interview on RH on Saturday? I am told he said some players struggle to come to terms with being at a 'big' club.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 137
TAGG
October 7, 2014, 2:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

Its very easy to lose supporters and very hard to get them back.

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 137
psgmariner
October 7, 2014, 2:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner

What happened with Coyne?

Private Message
Reply: 123 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 7, 2014, 2:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

Well I know i wont be back any time soon because he hasn't got the qualities to turn it around..

and by turn it around do you mean inconsistent stumbling around the top 6-7 , no thanks.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 137
GrimRob
October 7, 2014, 2:59pm

Quoted from jonnyboy82

Well I know i wont be back any time soon because he hasn't got the qualities to turn it around..

and by turn it around do you mean inconsistent stumbling around the top 6-7 , no thanks.

You'll be back before long. You take an unhealthy interest in gtfc for someone who has supposedly publicly recanted. It's like hovering around your ex hoping for a snog.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Reply: 125 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 7, 2014, 3:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

You'll be back before long. You take an unhealthy interest in gtfc for someone who has supposedly publicly recanted. It's like hovering around your ex hoping for a snog.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 137
ackomariner
October 7, 2014, 3:13pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 137
grimsby pete
October 7, 2014, 3:19pm

Exile
I bet we have a big win tonight because that is what usually happens when we get a small crowd at home,

Hurst will then be safe for another month,

Without repeating myself too much I have lost faith in Hurst for the following reasons,

He let a young promising striker go yet brings a young striker in on loan who is no better,

He thinks he does not have to explain his decisions to the fans who pay his wages,

It is Hurst who can not sell the club to any striker he might have tried to sign,

This location is a bit out of the way but we are not asking them to live in Grimsby for life,

Hurst treats all our opponents as if they are very good teams and always talks them up,

Well try talking ours players up and tell them how good they are,

BUT

Insist nothing comes easy , they will have to work hard for it,

There are only 2 players he tells us how important they are to the team, (LJL + Disley )

Yet calls our best player for not been a team player,

Unbelievable !!!!!!!!

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 137
barralad
October 7, 2014, 7:00pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Quoted from fishkeeper

total rot

How so? Nobody has yet been able to explain to me how people who claim to love GTFC can refuse to go to a game because someone they don't like is the manager. When I go to B.P. it is to support the XI who take the field. There have been literally 100s of comments on here regarding the finances of the club yet people are prepared to deny the club money over some grudge against the manager. Not attending may eventually cause Mr F to wield the axe but at what cost long term?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 137
MuddyWaters
October 7, 2014, 7:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

How so? Nobody has yet been able to explain to me how people who claim to love GTFC can refuse to go to a game because someone they don't like is the manager. When I go to B.P. it is to support the XI who take the field. There have been literally 100s of comments on here regarding the finances of the club yet people are prepared to deny the club money over some grudge against the manager. Not attending may eventually cause Mr F to wield the axe but at what cost long term?

No grudge against the manager, just a grudge against paying to see the sort of crap served up in several home games since the New Year.
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 137
jock dock tower
October 7, 2014, 9:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Would think his position is untenable now.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 137
jonnyboy82
October 7, 2014, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
Would think his position is untenable now.

John hasnt got the balls.

Sorry.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 137
friskneymariner
October 7, 2014, 11:17pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

What happened with Coyne?

Tried to get him to reduce his wages that were agreed in his contract,when he refused he was publicly slated.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 137
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 7, 2014, 11:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Possibly we will see a statement from JF sometime this week that he has confidence in the manager.

If so we will probably have a caretaker manager in charge by next week.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 137
LookBackInAngers
October 8, 2014, 1:19pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +93
In good times (few and far between recently) the leading figure in any organization soon seeks plaudits for his pivotal role in that success,after ten years plus of what by any measure can only be seen as failure should we expect of our "Main man "throughout that period? When all said and done the manager is only a cog although a crucial one,but if the direction from above is flawed then the job in hand becomes more difficult even impossible.Do the CEOs at large companies survive  consistent bad results ,bad decisions etc?We all know the answer to that one.If he fell on his sword would things get any worse? I for one don't  think so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 137
psgmariner
October 8, 2014, 1:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LookBackInAngers
In good times (few and far between recently) the leading figure in any organization soon seeks plaudits for his pivotal role in that success,after ten years plus of what by any measure can only be seen as failure should we expect of our "Main man "throughout that period? When all said and done the manager is only a cog although a crucial one,but if the direction from above is flawed then the job in hand becomes more difficult even impossible.Do the CEOs at large companies survive  consistent bad results ,bad decisions etc?We all know the answer to that one.If he fell on his sword would things get any worse? I for one don't  think so.

Fair point but in business nobody would come in and save a failing, loss making company who were stagnating. Also that business would have no customers. Grimsby have a benefactor not a CEO. We also have a core number of fans who turn up however bad the 'product' is.

Football clubs do need to be run like businesses but they are very different.

Private Message
Reply: 136 - 137
KingstonMariner
October 8, 2014, 11:48pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
General malaise is very disturbing and only one man is capable of doing anything about it which, bearing in mind who it is is equally worrying.

If we have a fan base of 5000 half of them spoke very loud and clear last night.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 137
14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.