Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Goodbye Fellow Fishy People
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 25 Guests

Goodbye Fellow Fishy People

This thread currently has 40,918 views. Print
37 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 Next All Recommend Thread
geir
February 5, 2011, 1:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Just saw this thread! What drama to read through. Amazed and proud of seeing people care so much for a fellow fan and poster on The Fishy!
Pete - Glad you are OK! Hope to see you posting here very soon.
This confirms for me that I did the right choice when I chose to be a Mariners fan all those years ago. Born in Norway - I could have picked any other team in the League system, but this thread really confirms for me that followers of Grimsby Town, and the people posting on this site, are among the greatest people on earth. Nothing more - nothing less!

Get well soon, Pete!

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 270 - 362
voice of reason
February 5, 2011, 2:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from WELLSY_GTFC

But pete posted it about himself in non football to let people know about the dangers of depression

Thats all well and good Wellsy and he is a top bloke for doing it, however I don't think this was him posting to highlight the dangers, it looks like he was posting when he was at a real low point and perhaps maybe when he is better the last thing he would want is to be reminded of it or see the amount of views and posts there has been made about it... I mean can you really give one good reason why it should be on here now...???

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 271 - 362
WELLSY_GTFC
February 5, 2011, 2:04pm

GRIMSBY TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +2 / -3
Quoted from voice of reason

Thats all well and good Wellsy and he is a top bloke for doing it, however I don't think this was him posting to highlight the dangers, it looks like he was posting when he was at a real low point and perhaps maybe when he is better the last thing he would want is to be reminded of it or see the amount of views and posts there has been made about it... I mean can you really give one good reason why it should be on here now...???

Ahh didn't see it that way and No I can't VOR

BYE FISHY PEOPLE
RIP 17.4.11
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 272 - 362
theicenian
February 5, 2011, 2:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.00
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from voice of reason

That may well be the case but I think the fact someone may or may not have a medical condition is also personal, I know I wouldn't particuarly want it posted in a thread about myself... So my stance still remains it should be removed, there is no benefit to it being on here now and if you feel there is then i'm pretty surprised to be honest...

To be honest I don't think it matters that much.   I remember (and I wish I had remembered it early on last night) Pete writing on a thread about depression on here a year or two back and saying he had it. At the time he was offering advice on how to stave it off.

Hopefully he will be back with his cheerfull optimism again,I look forward to it.

Oh and if you are reading this Pete you were definately wrong,your village women weren't all ugly. Until last night I didn't know which village you lived in but I met a lady from said village quite the most attractive I've met for some time with flashing blue eyes and a big,ah perhaps we didn't ought to go there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 273 - 362
JazzMariner
February 5, 2011, 2:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +8 / -6
Been out all morning with my lad at his JFC game but came on here as soon as I could to find an update on Pete. Glad to see that he was located and hope all is well with him and his family.

Well done all those that got involved at the start and made contact with the police. Good also to see that the police took you seriously.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 274 - 362
Doctor Sanchez
February 5, 2011, 2:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
I'm also of the opinion this thread should be removed.  Just thinking from Pete's perspective he was obviously at a real low point when he posted that message last night, seeing this thread will probably bring back bad memories of the awful state of mind he must have been in.  And like Voice of Reason pointed out, this is a very personal issue.  Best dealt with by his closest family and friends, not to take anything away from the amazing shows of concern for his wellbeing in this thread.

Just my thoughts.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 275 - 362
TownSNAFU5
February 5, 2011, 2:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
I had a sense of deep foreboding after reading Pete's post.  I had to read each post in order.  I could not go to the end.   Every poster should be proud of their concerns and actions.  Get the right help Pete that you need to recover.

Reading through the thread (and one linked thread) showed how depression had impacted on so many posters - or their family/partners.  I suspect that a lot of the posters are fairly young. My varied experiences with managing with depression over 40 years might give some encouragement.   I hope so.  We need some positives.  (Some posters might not be interested in the following comments).

I was diagnosed with a serious depressive illness soon after joining the RAF.  I was only a teenager.  (Surprised nobody linked it to supporting Town). I was fortunate that the RAF had very good medical services.  I was correctly diagnosed with the right specific illness and provided with the right, tailored medication.   Both these aspects are critical to long-term good health.  Now days they can experiment with better, different drugs etc.   I am still taking exactly the same medication 40 years later.

I was treated as an in-patient twice in my 15 years RAF Service.  The second time when I came off the medication for a year and it did not work without it.  My RAF career was not affected bar being restricted to some overseas postings and I could not sign on for 22 years and a full pension.

Many world leaders and famous people in history have suffered from depression. Churchill and Roosevelt being 2. It is a common illness that affects about 1 person in 4 during their life, or 1 family in 4.  Often, little is understood about the causes, treatment and coping with it.  At least a basic understanding is useful in family relationships.

There is still a stigma attached to mental illness.  This is diminishing with more awareness and more people being treated for depression etc. It is important to recognise that you need treatment and to get the right medication (if needed) for you. Do not be fobbed off. There is reactive depression (say following a death in the family) or  and clinical depression.  The latter is often genetic.

Anybody who has NOT suffered from depression, no matter how well meaning, cannot truly understand just how bad it is at the "low" points. Depression is a life-threatening illness, and this should be recognised by the sufferer and families. An unexpected downside is that insurers will add an additional premium to pay. The risks are greater to the insurers. Additional costs to pay are managable.   Driving a car and cancer can also be life-threatening illnesses.  These are realities.  All the more reason to seek expert help soonest. Sometimes in life we all need help.

Since leaving the RAF (25 years ago) I have started at the bottom of a national company and worked my way up to be a senior manager.  I have been married 28 years and had 2 lovely daughters.  I have also represented England at athletics.    Managing depression is always there.   Sometimes it has been hard on my wife and children.  The point is though that if you are determined enough, coping with long-term clinical depression should not stop anyone from doing what they want to achieve in life.  We all have our cross to bear. Try to be positive.

"We choose to do things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard".

I will be thinking of you Pete. I can guess what you have gone through or are going through.  You have a lot of  friends on here looking out for you - the majority do not even know you.  UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 276 - 362
DJ Mera
February 5, 2011, 3:11pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +18 / 0
Approval: +1
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez
I'm also of the opinion this thread should be removed.  Just thinking from Pete's perspective he was obviously at a real low point when he posted that message last night, seeing this thread will probably bring back bad memories of the awful state of mind he must have been in.  And like Voice of Reason pointed out, this is a very personal issue.  Best dealt with by his closest family and friends, not to take anything away from the amazing shows of concern for his wellbeing in this thread.

Just my thoughts.

I'm in two minds about removing this thread on the one side I can see the Doc''s & VOR's point of view about this being a very private thing but on the other hand it could be a great help to someone who (God forbid) may find themselves in the same situation, at least they will know that people do care.

Also another thought I had (and this may bring cries of privacy issues etc) but maybe Rob or Biccy's could keep a list of contact numbers for the forum members, participation of course at members discretion  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 277 - 362
Doctor Sanchez
February 5, 2011, 3:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from DJ Mera

I'm in two minds about removing this thread on the one side I can see the Doc''s & VOR's point of view about this being a very private thing but on the other hand it could be a great help to someone who (God forbid) may find themselves in the same situation, at least they will know that people do care.

Also another thought I had (and this may bring cries of privacy issues etc) but maybe Rob or Biccy's could keep a list of contact numbers for the forum members, participation of course at members discretion  

I really don't think it's our decision whether this will help him or not, the majority of us don't even know him or what he's going through.  That's effectively someone's suicide note still sitting there.  That just doesn't sit right with me.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 278 - 362
dave12
February 5, 2011, 3:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
TownSNAFU5

very good post ,also with reference to your comment on young people and depression it is a sad fact that the group that suffers most with depression is the young.Sadly this is reflected as well in suicide statistics which are also highest in this age group.Iam glad though you are managing the depression and have a good loving  family.Long may it continue
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 279 - 362
37 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Goodbye Fellow Fishy People

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.