Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot, Jackal and 36 Guests

PM

This thread currently has 18,474 views. Print
42 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Humbercod
July 12, 2022, 6:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Unfortunately, she narrowly failed to get cannabis legalised, as the hysterical right waded in with their scare stories, contrary to all proper scientific medical opinion. As Canada has proved, sometimes you just have to act, on the basis of proper scientific expert opinion, and public opinion will follow as the scare stories prove unfounded. Kind of the anthesis of Brexit really.

I worry that we may get another but different kind of nutter to Boris, a more scary one, not just a liar and buffoon. Someone who is actually quite competent in a ruthless and extremist kind of way, like Patel hope she doesn't declare just in case she wins. Then we have the climate change denier backed by a sky-fairy fascist - Braverman and Baker, my word what a pair of nutters.

You say that you worry Limerick if the wrong person gets in, so who exactly is the right person? Or are you on the fishy bully bandwagon just waiting to go for the throat who ever gets, in because they’re a Tory?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 418
Limerick Mariner
July 12, 2022, 8:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,730
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Humbercod

You say that you worry Limerick if the wrong person gets in, so who exactly is the right person? Or are you on the fishy bully bandwagon just waiting to go for the throat who ever gets, in because they’re a Tory?

I don't have a pathological hatred of all Tories, but the Conservative party has kicked out most who I would want leader of the country. But Corbyn is almost as culpable for the mess we are in, the Labour party typically engineer a major act of self-harm every so often. They couldn't have actually have better enabled the insertion of a buffoon clown Tory leader if they had tried. Liberals as well, Jo Swinson was away with the fairies. I would have been comfortable with Rory Stewart or even Ken Clarke for a while - actually you can have a Lord as PM can't you - there you go - my candidate preference is Baron Clarke of Nottingham

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 418
DB
July 12, 2022, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,049
Gold Stars: 390
I get regular e-mails from Quora Digest. I think this may be of interest:-

The Back stabbing Tories.
Answered by
Edwyn Nicholson
Updated Mar 26
Who has been the most competent prime minister of post-war Britain?
🤔🤔🤔🤔

I am going to give a controversial answer for this space

I am going to pick a Labour Prime Minister who would probably (in many ways) be far more at home in the Tory Party of Boris Johnson than in the Labour Party of Kier Starmer.

Clement Attlee.

Created the NHS.
Created the modern Welfare State.
Introduced planning permission and the modern Listed Buildings System.
Introduced Britain's first protected landscapes.
Accelerated Decolonisation.
Co-founded NATO.
Restarted Britain's nuclear weapons programme.
Send troops to fight Communism in Korea and Malaysia.
Established the Festival of Britain.
Kept the UK out of the nascent EU (the ECSC).
Look at that list of achievements.

Specifically look at the last five.

What was left-wing then would be considered right-wing by many today.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 418
Mariner John
July 12, 2022, 1:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +631
Gold Stars: 53
I voted tory for many years, never again. The short term  fixes again and again. Not one of em can give a straight answer. Most who advocated remain, where given ministerial post then changed tact. TRUSS is a prime example. I totally fail to see how anyone could ever vote for 90% of those vying for PM. They have ruined our country and unless a drastic change occurs this country is fuxxxed for the next lots of years. Brexit has plunged the £ against the $ to its lowest level in years, hence high fuel prices.  The rich get richer thanks to Sunak who gave bankers 7billion pound tax breaks. Worried about fuel and food? They aren't, take a look at parliament cheap menu. Have a look at the profits of major industries as they are soaring, so much for trickle down economics.

The biggest bunch of cretins to run or should I say ruin this country that there has even been, and there's been some crap ones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 418
Maringer
July 12, 2022, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,659
Gold Stars: 189
Utter nonsense about those decisions being inherently right-wing.

We didn't need to restart our nuclear weapons programme. We never stopped developing them and assisted the Yanks with the Manhattan Project a fair amount:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_contribution_to_the_Manhattan_Project

It also ran alongside our development of Nuclear power (plutonium for our bombs was 'secretly' being produced in the civilian reactors at Windscale). We were actually pioneers in the field of Nuclear power, but successive governments shut it down to the extent that we don't have the scientific expertise or manufacturing capacity to build our own power stations any longer.

The Red Peril was a real thing straight after the war - the Soviet Union had destroyed most of the German army to ensure their defeat and the country was still on a major war footing. There was serious concern that the Soviet tanks would just keep rolling across Europe but the existence of nuclear weapons probably helped to stop that, as did the hasty formation of NATO. The proxy wars in Korea and Malaysia (and the later attempts in Vietnam) were intended to stop Communism from spreading.

Festival of Britain - populist, certainly, but not perhaps a bad idea given all that the country had endured during the war years.

Was keeping the UK out of the ECSC a good thing? Dunno, really. We were one of the world's major manufacturing powers back in those days so might have been the correct choice at the time, but I don't really know. We did eventually join the EC, of course, and benefitted from it greatly, especially in the years after the creation of the single market.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 418
Limerick Mariner
July 12, 2022, 4:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,730
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Maringer
Utter nonsense about those decisions being inherently right-wing.

We didn't need to restart our nuclear weapons programme. We never stopped developing them and assisted the Yanks with the Manhattan Project a fair amount:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_contribution_to_the_Manhattan_Project

It also ran alongside our development of Nuclear power (plutonium for our bombs was 'secretly' being produced in the civilian reactors at Windscale). We were actually pioneers in the field of Nuclear power, but successive governments shut it down to the extent that we don't have the scientific expertise or manufacturing capacity to build our own power stations any longer.

The Red Peril was a real thing straight after the war - the Soviet Union had destroyed most of the German army to ensure their defeat and the country was still on a major war footing. There was serious concern that the Soviet tanks would just keep rolling across Europe but the existence of nuclear weapons probably helped to stop that, as did the hasty formation of NATO. The proxy wars in Korea and Malaysia (and the later attempts in Vietnam) were intended to stop Communism from spreading.

Festival of Britain - populist, certainly, but not perhaps a bad idea given all that the country had endured during the war years.

Was keeping the UK out of the ECSC a good thing? Dunno, really. We were one of the world's major manufacturing powers back in those days so might have been the correct choice at the time, but I don't really know. We did eventually join the EC, of course, and benefitted from it greatly, especially in the years after the creation of the single market.

We don't know the full impact of our loss of access to the Single Market yet. A recent Economist article put the damage estimate at 4% of GDP but this could be a big underestimate if there is a huge shift to a green economy and we are outside it, especially if the Single Market introduces a carbon border tariff.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 418
ginnywings
July 14, 2022, 12:52am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Sunak wins first round of votes, with Zahawi and Hunt eliminated. Mordaunt and Truss second and third.

Scarily, Suella Braverman got 32 votes and lives to fight another day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 418
Maringer
July 14, 2022, 8:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,659
Gold Stars: 189
You'd have to think that Braverman ought to have just about peaked with that total. There are a lot of dim Tory MPs, but there surely can't be too many who are seriously dim enough to think she would make a competent PM. Zahawi too much baggage with the current offshore investigations (and questions about offshoring may do for Sunak as well).

Surprised that Hunt was booted at the first round because he always seemed one of the more reasonable candidates. Probably too reasonable for Tory MPs, or perhaps he's just not curried favour with enough of them?

I suppose Tugendhat is the 'reasonable' candidate along with Mordaunt - noticeable that neither has much of a record of doing anything in government so they aren't linked with failure yet.

I think the Tory MPs see any women candidates as potential vote-winners, because they can make a lot of noise about Labour never having a female leader. You'd have to think this is why so many utterly unsuitable female candidates are in the race, despite the fact that Tory MPs have a 4:1 male/female ratio.

It would be interesting to see how the Tory membership voted if given the choice between a white and a non-white candidate. Suspect we might not have the opportunity to find out this time if they try and stitch up Sunak. The fact that the Daily Heil is so much against him indicates something.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 418
Rick12
July 14, 2022, 8:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings

Does this Union Jack bollox still fly with the electorate?
Via my parents I've got mainly English, Spanish and Irish blood in me.

I don't identify with one country 100% but have a bit love for all of them. I can understand it though when people are patriots and love their country. Think of the football world cups and the flag waving there. Likewise Frances world cup  1998 win galvanised a nation after tensions with differing cultures and ethnicitys.  I saw the same happen when Spain won the world cup in 2010. People that identified as separatists in Catalonia were swept up in temporary collective euphoria after seeing Spain win their first world cup which was good to see.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 418
Les Brechin
July 14, 2022, 9:45am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Give the job to Lia Nici or Martin Vickers.  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 418
42 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.