Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from ginnywings
DB = Duracell Bunny.

You just keep right on going.

Good job I do. I believe I praised you for your campervan comments on The Fishy site, can't remember the thread.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 94
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 9, 2021, 10:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Rick12
2% .Again though  some priests particular in Ireland from what I know  were only doing it for monetary gains.  The ones that cover things up aren't true to the faith or their vocation. Interviews have touched on this as well. Aborigine children cited some priests abused them whereas others eg nuns had a heart of gold. True defenders of the faith.

I agree there were cover ups. Not true to the faith. Pope Francis is coming down strong on sexual misconduct though.

Are you serious? You can't just dismiss the misdemeanours of these members of the catholic faith because they were doing it for monetary gains, which actually makes it even worse, or that these people aren't true to the faith. Yet these nuns are great because they didn't blow some aborigine kids didgeridoo. Thing is I think the aborigine kids were far better off when they had dreamtime and their ancestors to worship, not some blokes in dresses ranting on about God and some dude from some place they've no idea of.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 94
Rick12
March 9, 2021, 10:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

Are you serious? You can't just dismiss the misdemeanours of these members of the catholic faith because they were doing it for monetary gains, which actually makes it even worse, or that these people aren't true to the faith. Yet these nuns are great because they didn't blow some aborigine kids didgeridoo. Thing is I think the aborigine kids were far better off when they had dreamtime and their ancestors to worship, not some blokes in dresses ranting on about God and some dude from some place they've no idea of.

Your missing the point. A percentage joined the priesthood because it was a stable profession with board/loggings and personal expenses  at a time when money was tight in parts of Ireland. Money was the main passion not Jesus.

I agree ethnic cultures should have been respected and the Catholic faith not enforced on them.

As for the genuine nuns its pure kindness and love that they showed to these children mimicking qualities Jesus had in abundance.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 94
LH
March 9, 2021, 11:02pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,526
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from Rick12

I agree ethnic cultures should have been respected and the Catholic faith not enforced on them.

What about us?
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 94
Rick12
March 9, 2021, 11:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LH

What about us?
Religion in some form since man evolved has always been there. Its always been a battleground though between differing ideologies on whose is the most truthful religion. Islam/Christianity and differing brands of that/Hindus/Sikhs/Muslims. We still see it in the world today.

I still feel the Catholic religion is the biggest brand of Christianity because it tried to keep to the original sayings/ideology's of Jesus. Since the time of Jesus dying there were heretics and the like trying to bend the original sayings. The catholic faith has always tried to stay true to that in spite of constant battles throughout history and even today.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 94
ginnywings
March 10, 2021, 12:00am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,137
Gold Stars: 548
Whoosh!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 94
KingstonMariner
March 10, 2021, 12:00am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I don’t remember the bit when Jesus said you mustn’t wear a French Letter on your wotsit. The Catholic Church must have added that to the rules later (I nearly wrote slipped it in but I know you lot would misconstrue it).

I don’t believe that there is an instruction against divorce either in the NT. And Jews are allowed to get divorced, as are Muslims, so I doubt there is a clear law in the OT either. So possibly another rule invented by the Church.

Then there was the rule that banned priests from marrying, except that the Church didn’t apply it for the first millennium of its existence. Did they forget that law or was it just something they came up with later to save money on stipends, not having to support Mrs Priest and all the little Priestlets any more? I’d imagine that worked out well turning their minds away from filthy business like sex, and these urges didn’t come to the surface in all sorts of unwelcome ways down the succeeding centuries.

It’s a good job the Church kept to the strict law that ‘thou shalt not kill’. Consistently applying it down the ages, to protect foetuses created by acts of rape. We’ll overlook how ‘consistently’ they applied the imperative not to kill in the Middle Ages and Counter-Reformation. You know when they followed the little known sub-clause of the Commandment, “Thou shalt not kill, except those heathenbastards, and those wayward lost souls the Muslims, Orthodox Christians, Proddy heretics and Jews, even though we are Jews writing down this law a long time before any of the other lot appear”. And lest we forget, sub-clause “(b)(iii) always allowing that fellow Catholics may be killed insofar as they are fighting for, or are subjects of, states that the Papal States are, at war with from time to time”.

Consistently inconsistent in the application of the Law.

(What makes you think I’m trying to avoid the Harry and Meghan kerfuffle).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 94
aldi_01
March 10, 2021, 6:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I mean having listened to several Italian friends and watched/read plenty of stuff, much like any large organisation, Catholicism doesn’t just stop at paedophilia.

It’s not that long ago that the Vatican were involved in some extremely shady business dealings in Rome linked to land, cash and the constant fight for power.

We all know that fundamentally, religion in any guise was created to control the masses, the faith element provides some solace for many and provides those that seemingly need a path to follow that very thing. Each to their own I guess.

In terms of Harry and Meghan, it’s never gonna be a simple discussion. Those opposed to them I’d assume are seen as monarchist and ‘faithful’ to the queen; those in support of the pair of them are likely seen as against the monarchy, lacking patriotism etc. In truth all I saw and hear is a family, an extremely dysfunctional family that are in a privileged position, they’ve all fallen out over something we never really know the truth because both sides will only provide snippets of the truth and we all get that.

Sympathy for a bloke saying he’s been cut off financially whilst walking away with nigh on 40m will be thin, equally it’s hard to have sympathy for a family who have recently, very openly protected sex offender. Monarchist or not, impossible to defend, along with various other scandals through the years. Possibly highlight the fact that whilst many seemingly put them on some pedestal to be adored, they in fact just flawed characters like everyone else.

Let’s face it, Lucan disappeared, old queenie was chums with Savile, the DofE, Charles and William have all had mistresses, their brother/uncle is a vile creature, his ex wife a parasite, the suspicious death of the mother of the future king and then all the Panama papers stuff. Like I said, Monarchist or not, those are facts and you can sing your (boring) national anthem but if you can’t see the issues that’s just being blind or ignoring the truth.

I’m sure Harry and Meghan will have a great life, mistakes by both sides have clearly been made but hey, it’s provided an excellent distraction for the government...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 94
Rick12
March 10, 2021, 6:38am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I don’t remember the bit when Jesus said you mustn’t wear a French Letter on your wotsit. The Catholic Church must have added that to the rules later (I nearly wrote slipped it in but I know you lot would misconstrue it).

Quoted from aldi_01
I mean having listened to several Italian friends and watched/read plenty of stuff, much like any large organisation, Catholicism doesn’t just stop at paedophilia.

It’s not that long ago that the Vatican were involved in some extremely shady business dealings in Rome linked to land, cash and the constant fight for power.

I agree in part with the pair of you. Catholicism throughout the ages has deviated in part from what Jesus  originally came to do which was try to create a better society for all.

As in anything in life human will/construct will get it wrong. Its why and I have huge admiration and love for Pope Francis whose trying to weed out the malignant aspect of the Catholic church. As well as coming down strong on paedophile priests he has also tried to clear up financial irregularities  since he became Pope in 2013. Likewise this desire to change things has made him unpopular in some Catholic circles .

The thing I admire about Pope Francis is the way he models himself on St Francis of Assisi the Italian saint that gave up a life of wealth to help the poor in the name of Jesus.

A further example of Pope Francis true sense of authenticity  and warmth and his strong belief in Jesus was going to a prison and washing and kissing the feet of prisoners. He done this as he was trying to mimic Jesus in his humbleness  before God  as Jesus  done when he kissed and washed the feet of his 12 apostles.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Meghan and Harry Oprah interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.