Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Humbercod
Victimhood bingo
• Race card      ✅
• Mental health ✅
• Oppression    ✅

House! I've just won at Gammon Bingo.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 94
KingstonMariner
March 9, 2021, 2:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Quoted from DB

and what would you do with Presidents like the Criminal Sarkozy and Trump !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Completely different set-up in those countries. In the US and France the president is head of government. Here if we got rid of the royals we could have a president who was head of state, but not head of government. You never hear a peep about presidents of other European countries. They just quietly get on with the role and are pretty much above politics in any day-to-day sense.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 94
KingstonMariner
March 9, 2021, 2:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Quoted from Rick12
Iam a big royalist so I was sad Meghan and Harry left the UK for Canada.

Despite problems which should have been  sorted in the past and now the royals stand for identity  in the wake of growing new voices eg the media who often shapes public opinion and are mainly interested in selling papers. Though I still think it was wrong England gave up its Catholic status when Henry the 8th came to power due to him not being able to get a divorce mainly due to his wife not being able to bear him a son and lust for other women and founded his own church .

I think Meghan knew what she was getting herself in for when she married Harry ie marrying into tradition and should have accepted there would be challenges. Like Kate Middleton should have accepted her role and overrode the difficulties and battled any problems she was facing .

To me being an actor and the often glitzy life that comes with that I had some reservations about what Meghan really wanted. Was it her own aggrandisement or for the true love of Harry which I doubt. Hence had Harry been a dustbin man Iam almost certain she wouldn't have touched him.

Huge shame for me that the royal family have had this further debacle eg Meghan and Harry  leaving the Uk and I feel especially for the Queen.

Henry had no other option if he didn't want to risk plunging the country into civil war again on his death. His father came to the throne after decades of dynastic wars. The Pope could have easily found a way round the marriage to Catherine and annulled it, but Spain had more of a say. Or it could have given him a slap on the wrist, made him ask for forgiveness on bended knee, anything, but something short of excommunication. That would have left England a catholic country - bear in mind it was the Pope who gave Henry the title "Defender of the Faith" for ruthlessly hunting down and killing that cleric who's only crime was translating the bible into English, something which the Church were dead against. Realpolitik got in the way. So Henry needed to break with the church to get divorced to give himself another chance to get a male heir. Not nice but neither was war.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 94
Rick12
March 9, 2021, 2:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Henry had no other option if he didn't want to risk plunging the country into civil war again on his death. His father came to the throne after decades of dynastic wars. The Pope could have easily found a way round the marriage to Catherine and annulled it, but Spain had more of a say. Or it could have given him a slap on the wrist, made him ask for forgiveness on bended knee, anything, but something short of excommunication. That would have left England a catholic country - bear in mind it was the Pope who gave Henry the title "Defender of the Faith" for ruthlessly hunting down and killing that cleric who's only crime was translating the bible into English, something which the Church were dead against. Realpolitik got in the way. So Henry needed to break with the church to get divorced to give himself another chance to get a male heir. Not nice but neither was war.
Appreciate the input Kingston but the mainstay was  the Catholic church at that time believed in marriage for life and didnt agree with or support divorce. Saying that those that were widowed were allowed to remarry.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 94
ska face
March 9, 2021, 4:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847

That’s fine Ska, quite a number would agree with you and I would not dispute the centuries and could add some more sins to the pile. But as I said, if you want rid it’s money where your mouth is time and I don’t just mean let’s have an elected head of state. You have to invent whole new ways of doing things plus the practicalities of the royal lands and buildings that are acceptable to a goodly majority of the public.

I don’t think it’s beyond the collective brainpower of our great nation to work out what to do with the 23 current royal residences and their grounds, much less replacing a wizened old bint good only for having her arris licked by various dignitaries at state banquets. Her contribution to the legislature could be replaced with a 99p rubber stamp.

Let’s not even get into the Crown Estates and their £14bn property portfolio, the hundreds of thousands of acres of agricultural and mining land they “own” as well as the sea beds and what may lie beneath them.

Mass social housing, rewilding or reforestation, a massive Wetherspoons at Buck House, all things that could benefit the public practically and financially much more than having them as the sole preserve of a family of inbreds in a gilded cage.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 94
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 9, 2021, 5:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Rick12
Appreciate the input Kingston but the mainstay was  the Catholic church at that time believed in marriage for life and didnt agree with or support divorce. Saying that those that were widowed were allowed to remarry.

The Catholic Church believed in whatever it wanted, which at the time was what the Spanish wanted. The Catholic church held this country back as can be witnessed by the rise of England to being a world superpower (at that time) within less than 100 years of the dissolution of the Catholic church in this country. Despite the Catholic church being behind plots to overthrow the government/monarch. It wasn't the mainstay, it was the only option for an uneducated populace who were kept in their place by the threat of excommunication and the powers at the time were quite happy to maintain control until such time as the Catholic Church didn't allow them to do what they wanted.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 94
Rick12
March 9, 2021, 5:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

The Catholic Church believed in whatever it wanted, which at the time was what the Spanish wanted.

I think the essence of the Catholic church has always been though to keep to the essential message of Jesus  though human construct has at times impinged on this view . Personally I would have still preferred this country to remain Catholic as opposed to creating the Church of England something which is only recognised in England and some parts of continental Europe. Just recently I saw a excellent dvd of Pope Francis titled a man of his word released in 2018.  I get the feel he is one of the best popes the Catholic church has had and from reading around even atheists have been drawn in by his warmth.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 94
DB
March 9, 2021, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
As I have said I am a Christian and find many of the things that the C of E and Catholics depressing. Ska denounces Royalty quoting the values of their estates. Church's also have similar valuable estates etc. and sit on the money while professing to want to help the poor.

Royalty does give money back to the state and is responsible for many 1,000's of tourists coming to the country every year. (covid excluded)

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 94
ska face
March 9, 2021, 6:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from DB
As I have said I am a Christian and find many of the things that the C of E and Catholics depressing. Ska denounces Royalty quoting the values of their estates. Church's also have similar valuable estates etc. and sit on the money while professing to want to help the poor.

Please, one set of child molestors at a time, I can’t keep up.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 94
Humbercod
March 9, 2021, 6:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
Sorry to the religious corner but I had to laugh at that 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Meghan and Harry Oprah interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.