Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fenty stepping down as Councillor.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

Fenty stepping down as Councillor.

This thread currently has 31,153 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
February 16, 2021, 4:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

I’ll happily answer that question.

The club had always provided a highly competitive NL budget, capable of gaining promotion. How many times had our budget got us into the play offs?

The additional funding was offered to the club in addition to the budget we had in place already. It was accepted as a kind and enthusiastic gesture by the fans, in a manner of good faith and appreciation by the club. As icing on the cake to a budget that had already proven to get us on the verge of promotion, albeit apart from some unfortunate play off outcomes. The Bristol Rovers game in particular

So why the f@ck did it take us 6 years to get out of that tinpot league only for his penny pinching, tight ar£e running of the club sending us back down there again!
The man is an ar£e of a chairman and gas now proven his has the morals of a skank alley cat!!.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 299
DB
February 16, 2021, 4:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 391

The club had always provided a highly competitive NL budget, capable of gaining promotion. How many times had our budget got us into the play offs?

The additional funding was offered to the club in addition to the budget we had in place already. It was accepted as a kind and enthusiastic gesture by the fans, in a manner of good faith and appreciation by the club. As icing on the cake to a budget that had already proven to get us on the verge of promotion, albeit apart from some unfortunate play off outcomes. The Bristol Rovers game in particular

So what you are saying is that although the club had competitive budget it was not the best that could be provided, the word being competitive. After all if you want to compete at the top then you have to have the best budget in the league, so why didn't JF provide the best. You also have not explained an offer was not put forward to refund the monies raised.

I also asked you  'Can you also advise the fans, as the club did not want  to deny supporters wishes and what they wanted, why the club did not maintain the push in league 2 and why the new stadium was never built in these 16 years.'

Can you now answer these questions ?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 299
pen penfras
February 16, 2021, 5:37pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from DB

So what you are saying is that although the club had competitive budget it was not the best that could be provided, the word being competitive. After all if you want to compete at the top then you have to have the best budget in the league, so why didn't JF provide the best. You also have not explained an offer was not put forward to refund the monies raised.

I also asked you  'Can you also advise the fans, as the club did not want  to deny supporters wishes and what they wanted, why the club did not maintain the push in league 2 and why the new stadium was never built in these 16 years.'

Can you now answer these questions ?

The budget was the best that could be provided under the known circumstances. We weren't making any money at that level, so where do you think the extra money should have come from? I know you think he should have donated his own money, but that was never an option, so the only option would have been more 'benign loans'. If the loans were much bigger, I don't think anybody would take over the club and he'd be in that position for another 15 years.

Why would the club not accept a donation from the fans? It was a brilliant initiative that brought enthusiasm to the season. It got nasty when we weren't storming the league and a small minority were making unfounded accusations and the added pressure of expectation got too much. Along with a rather naive statement that the money didn't make any difference because we'd have done the same thing anyway.

There have been a lot of very big clubs in our time in league 2. We can't compete with them financially. Our promotion team spluttered across the line, which meant a lot of the players were deemed not good enough and the better ones went elsewhere. Maybe they should have been offered better contracts, but the manager should be the one saying that and we've paid far more for other players in every year since, so some of it has to go down as the manager wasn't desperate to keep them (Vernam excluded).

There's too many reasons for why the stadium hasn't happened to list. The biggest problem is and always has been that there's no money to pay for it. Every incarnation going back to the 90's has had an enabling development as part of the funding but always leaving a substantial sum that the club had to cover. That coupled with the council not really wanting it, so choosing their preferred site by rolling dice and then later deciding it's the wrong place. Maybe with somebody who has a history of getting these projects over the line it would have happened, but maybe we needed to be further down the line to make that happen. Extreme Leisure clearly weren't the right people for the job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 299
KingstonMariner
February 16, 2021, 5:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

The whole point of Operation Promotion was to provide that extra little bit of money to push us over the line that we needed as we’d narrowly failed in the 2015 final. As it happened that ‘extra little bit’ was, what 6%? of the playing budget. A significant amount. We won the next final so clearly it helped.

You and your pals completely fcuked up the on-going opportunity that this provided the club by downplaying the contribution because you are petty minded jerks who wanted success to be all about you.  Anyone with any sense in your position would have been able to leverage that goodwill instead you did the opposite.

Do one Phil/Stephen/John, whatever your real identity is.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 299
Posh Harry
February 16, 2021, 5:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,371
Gold Stars: 36

If it was accepted in a manner of good faith and appreciation by the club, how come mr Fenty was recorded saying it was the worst thing that could have happened.

Doesn’t sound like appreciation to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 299
aldi_01
February 16, 2021, 5:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I mean nobody actually said Fenty should donate out of his pocket, and clearly his intention was never actually give the club cash rather loan it.

I think the club are quick to defend or claim they did all they can by providing an alleged competitive budget, yet happily took 100k. No issue there I guess but then to denounce that free money some 18 months or so later is churlish and just highlighted once more the level of contempt the club/custodians had of the fans.

I guess, like many, I’m still waiting for these big supporters of (not so) honest John. Now would be a good time for them to leap to his defence. I’m not sure they’ll be forthcoming, probably because they don’t exist or they’re reluctant to pin their colours to the mast of a bloke who associated with convicted and awaiting deportation fraudster, a man who abused his position of power within local government and who oversaw the worst period of time in the football clubs history.

There’s countless reasons those supporters will never come out, unlike our dear Mr Day, we’re all a little more pragmatic and realistic; we’ll never see them or hear from them.

I hope that an investigation and consequences, should they be necessary (I think we all know they will) will follow and sadly for Mr Fenty and his £80k car, his time locally is up. He could’ve had a political career, he could’ve had a positive impact on the local area, unfortunately, he thought of himself and his own interests. Little sympathy should be offered and little is deserved.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 299
KingstonMariner
February 16, 2021, 5:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from aldi_01
I mean nobody actually said Fenty should donate out of his pocket, and clearly his intention was never actually give the club cash rather loan it.

I think the club are quick to defend or claim they did all they can by providing an alleged competitive budget, yet happily took 100k. No issue there I guess but then to denounce that free money some 18 months or so later is churlish and just highlighted once more the level of contempt the club/custodians had of the fans.

I guess, like many, I’m still waiting for these big supporters of (not so) honest John. Now would be a good time for them to leap to his defence. I’m not sure they’ll be forthcoming, probably because they don’t exist or they’re reluctant to pin their colours to the mast of a bloke who associated with convicted and awaiting deportation fraudster, a man who abused his position of power within local government and who oversaw the worst period of time in the football clubs history.

There’s countless reasons those supporters will never come out, unlike our dear Mr Day, we’re all a little more pragmatic and realistic; we’ll never see them or hear from them.

I hope that an investigation and consequences, should they be necessary (I think we all know they will) will follow and sadly for Mr Fenty and his £80k car, his time locally is up. He could’ve had a political career, he could’ve had a positive impact on the local area, unfortunately, he thought of himself and his own interests. Little sympathy should be offered and little is deserved.

Well said.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 299
RonMariner
February 16, 2021, 6:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
I remember him saying at one of the AGM's that he believed no other Director of GTFC had ever lost money on the club.

So in his mind, he was only ever loaning money and was always going to recover the lot.

We fans on the other hand gladly hand over thousands supporting the club with never a thought  of getting it back.

Fenty has always maintained that he is at heart a fan of the club. That being so, the least he could do is donate the £200k relating to the gift from the Trust,  back to either the Trust or the club.    

I hope that he does so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 299
DB
February 16, 2021, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from pen penfras

The budget was the best that could be provided under the known circumstances. We weren't making any money at that level, so where do you think the extra money should have come from? I know you think he should have donated his own money, but that was never an option, so the only option would have been more 'benign loans'. If the loans were much bigger, I don't think anybody would take over the club and he'd be in that position for another 15 years.

Why would the club not accept a donation from the fans? It was a brilliant initiative that brought enthusiasm to the season. It got nasty when we weren't storming the league and a small minority were making unfounded accusations and the added pressure of expectation got too much. Along with a rather naive statement that the money didn't make any difference because we'd have done the same thing anyway.

There have been a lot of very big clubs in our time in league 2. We can't compete with them financially. Our promotion team spluttered across the line, which meant a lot of the players were deemed not good enough and the better ones went elsewhere. Maybe they should have been offered better contracts, but the manager should be the one saying that and we've paid far more for other players in every year since, so some of it has to go down as the manager wasn't desperate to keep them (Vernam excluded).

There's too many reasons for why the stadium hasn't happened to list. The biggest problem is and always has been that there's no money to pay for it. Every incarnation going back to the 90's has had an enabling development as part of the funding but always leaving a substantial sum that the club had to cover. That coupled with the council not really wanting it, so choosing their preferred site by rolling dice and then later deciding it's the wrong place. Maybe with somebody who has a history of getting these projects over the line it would have happened, but maybe we needed to be further down the line to make that happen. Extreme Leisure clearly weren't the right people for the job.

Just found the Andrex

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 299
Fillipe Noche
February 16, 2021, 7:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from pen penfras

This
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 299
30 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fenty stepping down as Councillor.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.