10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
bax
September 15, 2017, 5:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
If someone has the chance to double their wages, in any walk of life, they take it, right? I would. I don't think football managers are any different.

To say PH would still be here if the fans didn't get on his back...sorry, if a "bigger" club come calling offering you more money, you leave. It's a short career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 96
devs
September 15, 2017, 5:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Hurst is a top manager who will go a long way in the game
It took him a few years to get us promoted - see also Luton, Lincoln etc and speak to Wrexham, Tranmere fans this season,,, there was no Gid given right to get the job done in 2/3 seasons
Some people on here formed an opinion of the bloke - as they have done with certain players - and they have no humility to change when it becomes obvious (through promotion and being sought by other, better teams) they are simply wrong and Hurst/players are vindicated through success on the field

And then when PH took issue with some of the arrogant, vile chanting and reacted they 'don't wike it' and get very very upset...bless them!
Basically, keyboard warriors who hide behind computers and whinge when someone answers back.

You can criticise PH's playing style which is fair enough but you cannot knock his success rate at every club he's managed

I am not in the slightest bit surprised he's turned Shrewsbury around - top, top manager and a decent man IMO

I'm just sorry he didn't take time out from his busy schedule to massage a few fragile egos on here

Dons tin hat, retreats to safety, and waits for the inevitable abuse.... but who cares
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2017, 5:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
My view on PH?

- Mostly the team played a standard and style of football that made us look like a non league team, winch was quite fitting as we where a non league team with non league players so what do you expect?

- "Took to long to get is up" O.K. but once that idiot Scott left in the 2 and 9/10's of the season Hurst had solo in the job PO semi, PO final,PO winners. The play offs as we all know is a lottery.

- "He never won the league", true but only one club a season can do this and only 2 go up, many had bigger budgets than us.

- "He was dour", agree but he's from fukin Rotherham so what do you expect, Players seem to like him though.He was usually dour when the likes of JT was trying to have a pop at the team or a particular play.

- "Had had no passion", what are we saying here? many posters said Bignot had passion give me a Hurst over a bull sh1tter any day. If you went to Luton last season and saw him after that game and many other away games you would think differently  

- "He bought badly" - With the one year deal cycle and the transfer windows at that level you have a revolving door each season so you will get some wrong but see some names mentioned in the OP and add Andrew, Amond, Magnay, Arnold, Tait etc.. oh yeah and a lad called Bogle who is currently plying his trade at a team sat 22nd in the pyramid.  

- "He was negative", at times possibly but that got is an away record that actually got us into the play off's as the home record was at times iffy.

- "He looked after himself and left us for the first offer", no he didn't as we know there had been a few tentative approaches during his time with town.

- "He looked after himself and left us for the first offer"look up football managers in the dictionary that's what they tend to do.

- "He left because the club would not give him a S&C coach" so what? we've got one now and last Saturday the team that best us never broke into a sweat. When he was the manager in non league did we play many fitter teams? A couple maybe but it was the exception.

- "He had no charisma", in the media I would agree but he can get players to sign for him and play for him, need I say more? As long as the players respect you then that is all that matters  

- "He didn't develop the infrastructure" behave FFS.

- "He cupped his ear to us" after Halifax, Hurst out" and blaming him when we didn't win 12 - 0 each week or looked like Real Madrid I think he possibly had a right to, "if you cant take it don't give it".

- "He said we where spoiled" we where under Buckley and some fans (including myself at times) expect too much, those days have gone, football has changed and would a Buckley style in non league now get you one of these 2 promotion spots back to the EFL? I'm not sure.

Like most managers he made mistakes and no doubt that if he had his time here again he may do things differently, who wouldn't?  

Look at who we have had since, a gob sh1te  with a mediocre playing career who came in from tin pot who in the first week told a tight unit of full time pros sat in the play off positions in their league that there was "not enough technical ability in the squad" he also told 1000's of people the same in the media too, nice move Marcus, oddly enough that was the highest league position we achieved that season. The rest in the main is laughable history.

Marcus Biggob has been followed by an "experienced well organised manager" who in the career promotion wining stakes is currently losing 3 - 0 to Paul Hurst despite all the clubs he has managed  

All this is my view on things but one thing is for sure to win promotion from one of the most difficult leagues in football to escape from then next season go up another level and save a doomed team would suggest despite dividing opinion (for some) he is a pretty competent football manager which I believe is the title of his job description isn't it?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 96
Les Brechin
September 15, 2017, 6:44pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from arryarryarry

I have to say that most of that is bollox, we were excrement at Halifax, how do you expect the fans to react and it wasn't the first time, we were even shittier the first game Hurst was in charge at Halifax and he must have got a feeling then that the fans wont accept crappy performances like that.

Go on any forum and it would be the same response to such garbage performances.

He wasn't the first football manager to feel the wrath of fans and he most certainly wont be the last. His problem was instead of accepting his teams at time played crap he came out and insulted the fans, he also wouldn't accept criticism in the press that's why he fell out with JT and Radio Humberside refusing to speak to him and kept sending out Doig.

Have to disagree with that I'm afraid. The atmosphere at that 4-2 defeat at Halifax in our promotion season was toxic. I'll never forget the face of the young lad (maybe 15 or 16) stood near me, contorted with hate shouting "Hursty is a male masturbator" and " intercourse Off You girl private". I don't think you'd find supporters of many other clubs who would have reacted in that way that day. It wasn't even like we were struggling in the table, we were still well placed to finish in the play-offs, which we ultimately did.

I've been going to away games for well over 40 years now and that day at Halifax was by far the worst atmosphere I have ever witnessed.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 96
Caesar
September 15, 2017, 6:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from Les Brechin

Have to disagree with that I'm afraid. The atmosphere at that 4-2 defeat at Halifax in our promotion season was toxic. I'll never forget the face of the young lad (maybe 15 or 16) stood near me, contorted with hate shouting "Hursty is a male masturbator" and " intercourse Off You girl private". I don't think you'd find supporters of many other clubs who would have reacted in that way that day. It wasn't even like we were struggling in the table, we were still well placed to finish in the play-offs, which we ultimately did.

I've been going to away games for well over 40 years now and that day at Halifax was by far the worst atmosphere I have ever witnessed.

Agree with a lot of this, that was the most toxic atmosphere I have witnessed, and I think the Hurst out banner after the Home playoff leg against Braintree was one of the stupidest things ever to happen.  However I don't think it was a key reason for Hurst leaving.  Think they may of been key reasons for his reaction to Nathan Arnolds goal being to cup his ears to fans but not for him leaving.  Think a lot more went into that decision.  

Also have to say other clubs can get as bad, look at Arsenal and Wenger at the moment for example, or Steve Mclaren having numerous season tickets aimed his way, as have other Newcastle managers.  Think that level of toxicity is rate, and it took a perfect storm of poorly worded comments and long term frustration.  Not excusing it at all as I don't think that level of hate as you described is excusable, but sadly don't think it is that unique.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 96
Abdul19
September 15, 2017, 7:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
It was just banter.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 96
grimsby pete
September 15, 2017, 7:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Abdul19
It was just banter.

Do you mean from Hurst ?

If so we were not use to it from him,

He should have told us  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 96
grimsby pete
September 15, 2017, 7:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from bax
If someone has the chance to double their wages, in any walk of life, they take it, right? I would. I don't think football managers are any different.

To say PH would still be here if the fans didn't get on his back...sorry, if a "bigger" club come calling offering you more money, you leave.         IT'S A SHORT CAREER    

Only if they are no good at it Bax,

Many managers go into their 60's and some even are still employed in their 70's

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 96
Rodley Mariner
September 15, 2017, 7:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Hurst was just too thin skinned to be a manager

On an entirely unrelated note, that time he flippantly said we were spoilt and then when he cupped his ear haunts me to this very day and either makes me cry or fly into an uncontrollable rage when I remember it. All I asked was that he mentioned how wonderful a supporter I am in the press conference.

If you want to be GTFC manager all you have to do is give 100% and deliver exciting, high-scoring victories. And do a good press conference. And talk up the fans. And be loyal. If you do that we're an easy going bunch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 96
Mrs Doyle
September 15, 2017, 7:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Two of Hurst's best traits were his ability to spot  talented players and a overriding desire to build a tight unit with team bonding. A very stubborn man we got him and Rob Scot as a team but once Scot got kicked out it was obvious Hurst was the thinking man cool,tough,and driven.

I bare no malice toward Hurst and wish him well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrews Fan In Peace

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.