KingstonMariner
September 17, 2017, 4:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I just find it amazingly funny that experts who post on message boards "don't rate" a manager that has won 3 promotions at his last 3 clubs, saved a doomed club at a higher level than he has managed previously and is currently the manager of  one of only 2 unbeaten sides in the EFL and top of their league.........clearly he's not good enough.  

'Don't rate' was probably a bit of an over-emphasis. No one is saying he's rubbish. We have our different opinions on Hurst as a manager and it's been done to death in the past. But my main point was that it is not hypocritical to cheer a goal and a victory in those circumstances. Even if their opinion of Hurst or whoever was wrong. Why is it hypocritical? How could you think so?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 96
horsforthmariner
September 17, 2017, 4:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
I respect Hurst, but unlike Buckley (the other "successful manager") in the 30 odd years of supporting this club I don't really like him.

Shrewsbury have probably got a better manager than we had. He was relatively inexperienced when he came here and he made a number of really bad decisions when he was here.

He underplayed Bogle (and overplayed Monkhouse) in our promotion season, he made that Parslow sub against Chester,  Signed Brodie. He was stubborn and overly defensive and quite often his plan b was just more plan A. Our football was dull and quite formulaic  He was dreadful with PR and almost went out of his way to antagonise fans (i notice he now seems to be going out of his way to praise the Shrewsbury fans).

Having said that he made us much more professional, consistently signed good players and we actually didn't concede many "sloppy goals".

But I do think we got lucky in our promotion season. It was the weakest league we played in and we almost fell over the line (we actually were a better team the season before and only a bad start robbed us of the title)

I think fans got on his back in that final season mainly because a) We were in non league which was always completely and utterly unacceptable for a club. b) we seemed to be following the first two play off seasons that followed a very similar pattern of badly falling away in the final 2-3 months of the season, stumbling into the play offs and then getting knocked out by a pretty garbage team.( To Hurst's eternal credit he learnt from previous semi final mistakes and mixed it up for Braintree away and played a much more attacking line up.) C) He just continued to be obnoxious towards fans(you reap what you sow)

Im glad to here the ex town players are doing well. Nolan was class when he was here . Suprised the other have stepped up so well to be honest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 96
PPMariner
September 17, 2017, 5:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from HertsGTFC

"We're all fans and we all have opinions"

Gets a bit messy when your opinion is that, by merely posting their own opinions, other posters are purporting to be experts; with nonetheless laughable opinions...

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2017, 5:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from KingstonMariner

'Don't rate' was probably a bit of an over-emphasis. No one is saying he's rubbish. We have our different opinions on Hurst as a manager and it's been done to death in the past. But my main point was that it is not hypocritical to cheer a goal and a victory in those circumstances. Even if their opinion of Hurst or whoever was wrong. Why is it hypocritical? How could you think so?

Kingston some have said he "was a poor manager" and similar on previous threads which would suggest they thought he was rubbish or something similar at least. Like I say I am not sure if it's fickle or hypocritical but I like most football fans would categorize myself as fickle but if you look at the bigger picture we where one penalty and one shocking refereeing decision away from going up the previous season he did a decent job here.

I was having a good conversation with a few lads at the game yesterday and we all agreed that PH was ever comfortable with the media and persona stuff and unlike a lot of fans did not see it as important. I think some saw this as him sticking 2 fingers up to the fans but I don't think he meant that to be the case or at least I would like to think he did not mean it. After games he was usually pretty much complimentary about the fans especially away. I know the cupping the ear thing at Wembley p1ssed a few off but players do it all the time and Omar even did it to the FGR fans in the same game, after the sh1 he got at Halifax part of me thinks Hurst chose his moment well to give it back to the doubters.  

Why I mention the paragraph above is that some prefer to talk about that kind of thing rather than the fact he got us up, signed some good players, made us as professional as we could be under the funding he received and fostered an excellent team spirit.

My dad was part of that conversation yesterday and mention quite rightly that Buckley at times could be prickly and often appear quite rude but similar to what Hurst appears to be he is a man of principle who adopts a style he is comfortable with and believes will deliver the most success at that particular time.

My dad also pointed out that you never really got to know managers "in his day" so maybe the media stuff is not that important or at least not as important as the Marcus Bignot's of this world believe it is.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 96
chaos33
September 17, 2017, 6:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I respect Hurst, but unlike Buckley (the other "successful manager") in the 30 odd years of supporting this club I don't really like him.

Shrewsbury have probably got a better manager than we had. He was relatively inexperienced when he came here and he made a number of really bad decisions when he was here.

He underplayed Bogle (and overplayed Monkhouse) in our promotion season, he made that Parslow sub against Chester,  Signed Brodie. He was stubborn and overly defensive and quite often his plan b was just more plan A. Our football was dull and quite formulaic  He was dreadful with PR and almost went out of his way to antagonise fans (i notice he now seems to be going out of his way to praise the Shrewsbury fans).

Having said that he made us much more professional, consistently signed good players and we actually didn't concede many "sloppy goals".

But I do think we got lucky in our promotion season. It was the weakest league we played in and we almost fell over the line (we actually were a better team the season before and only a bad start robbed us of the title)

I think fans got on his back in that final season mainly because a) We were in non league which was always completely and utterly unacceptable for a club. b) we seemed to be following the first two play off seasons that followed a very similar pattern of badly falling away in the final 2-3 months of the season, stumbling into the play offs and then getting knocked out by a pretty garbage team.( To Hurst's eternal credit he learnt from previous semi final mistakes and mixed it up for Braintree away and played a much more attacking line up.) C) He just continued to be obnoxious towards fans(you reap what you sow)

Im glad to here the ex town players are doing well. Nolan was class when he was here . Suprised the other have stepped up so well to be honest.

In the interests of accuracy, let me tell you that Brodie was definitely a Rob Scott signing.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 96
HackneyHaddock
September 17, 2017, 6:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Pointless thread.  Might as well have one on Nicky Law or Dave Booth or Lennie Lawrence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 96
lobsterpot
September 18, 2017, 6:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Having just got home from a 3 day non stop bender ( use that quote as you will gents ) and still feeling a tad delicate, i could only be arsed to read the 1st and last page of this thread as it has turned into yet another pro/anti pro Hurst debate. Instead i prefer to bite to the original OP and get back on track....all of our ex players who now play for you are absolutely world class now.  Please let me know if you have any other players in your squad and if they contribute anything to you team? Maybe the odd sub appearance maybe? Or is it just our 5 ex players that get in your team VS an 11 of the opo? Oh yeah i forgot to mention that all your ex players that play for us are utter dogger but im sure they were awesome when they pulled on your jersey. Yet another small time team who bore me with a bankfest when theyre doing ok once in a blue moon. Didnt Grant Holt play for you for about 2 seasons so you had a massive legend banner up at the back of your home end like he was Gianluigi Buffon or similar? Surely youve got more history than that? In closing, under Hurst we were top; of the league 1 xmas but we were all naughty boys and Santa didnt deliver that year......

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrews Fan In Peace

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.