This thread currently has 13,982 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
trueblue89
September 15, 2017, 10:24am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +54
Hi All

After reading your board a few times and seeing mixed reviews about our current gaffer Paul Hurst. As its clearly visible we are sitting top of the table but its very early days.

Since taking over from a fading out manager in Mickey Mellon we turned to Hurst to save the ship. Mission accomplished perfectly. Changing the whole mentality of the team. We went from " League One Ready " players who quite frankly looked like they were only with us to pick up an easy wage and go home to hungry determined and close knitted group of players who look so much fitter and more organised then our opposition. Long may it continue.  

Ad you know we have got a few ex GTFC players who in fact have been great.

Dean Henderson (Loan) has quickly become a fans favorite showing great maturity for such a youthful keeper. His passion doesn't go unnoticed when we score/ win he celebrates with the supports. Strings of top acrobatic saves and also a safe pair of hands. Destined for a bright future in the game.

Aristote Nsiala (Toto) Still has a lot to learn in my eyes and can be rash with challenges, has been an absolute rock at the back. He is growing game by game and looks very good.

Jon Nolan - WHAT A PLAYER. Has been compared to ex Shrews player Ryan Woods (currently at Brentford) the diminutive ginger engine shows a great vision for the game and has proven he can dictate the game on his own. Signing of the season so far.

Alex Rodman. When signed in January he was nowhere near fit. He chipped in with the odd assist. After having pre-season we have seen a totally different player. He is such a threat from out wide and adding Goals to his game

Lennel John-Lewis (The Shop) has featured a lot from the bench at present and has been a fine squad addition. Helping to seal games with fantastic hold up play.

We currently are odds on favorites to finish bottom. We have such a hard working and determined bunch that on paper are not the most glamorous but its working.

The links dont end there. You currently have a few of our ex players in your ranks and a few whom have been fans favourites

Ben Davies was a fantastic ball playmaking midfielder who was excellent from set-pieces. Such disappointment when he chose money and went to Notts County.

Sean McAllister, tidy little ball player when with Shrewsbury, spell cut short due to constant injury problems.

Luke Summerfield, like his father Kevin played for us. Very good hard working player who just happened to be at the right place at the wrong time. Should of been given longer at Shrewsbury in my opinion.

Scott Vernon, intelligent striker who probably didnt show Shrews fans his best and paid for it.

Akwasi Asante was a loan player is quite frankly one of many loan strikers who fell off the radar with our supporters. He was involved in a poor team at the time but never really showed any promise.

Wishing you all the best for the season, i do look how you guys get on and how ex players get on.

#SALOP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
September 15, 2017, 10:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from trueblue89
Hi All

After reading your board a few times and seeing mixed reviews about our current gaffer Paul Hurst. As its clearly visible we are sitting top of the table but its very early days.

Since taking over from a fading out manager in Mickey Mellon we turned to Hurst to save the ship. Mission accomplished perfectly. Changing the whole mentality of the team. We went from " League One Ready " players who quite frankly looked like they were only with us to pick up an easy wage and go home to hungry determined and close knitted group of players who look so much fitter and more organised then our opposition. Long may it continue.  

Ad you know we have got a few ex GTFC players who in fact have been great.

Dean Henderson (Loan) has quickly become a fans favorite showing great maturity for such a youthful keeper. His passion doesn't go unnoticed when we score/ win he celebrates with the supports. Strings of top acrobatic saves and also a safe pair of hands. Destined for a bright future in the game.

Aristote Nsiala (Toto) Still has a lot to learn in my eyes and can be rash with challenges, has been an absolute rock at the back. He is growing game by game and looks very good.

Jon Nolan - WHAT A PLAYER. Has been compared to ex Shrews player Ryan Woods (currently at Brentford) the diminutive ginger engine shows a great vision for the game and has proven he can dictate the game on his own. Signing of the season so far.

Alex Rodman. When signed in January he was nowhere near fit. He chipped in with the odd assist. After having pre-season we have seen a totally different player. He is such a threat from out wide and adding Goals to his game

Lennel John-Lewis (The Shop) has featured a lot from the bench at present and has been a fine squad addition. Helping to seal games with fantastic hold up play.

We currently are odds on favorites to finish bottom. We have such a hard working and determined bunch that on paper are not the most glamorous but its working.

The links dont end there. You currently have a few of our ex players in your ranks and a few whom have been fans favourites

Ben Davies was a fantastic ball playmaking midfielder who was excellent from set-pieces. Such disappointment when he chose money and went to Notts County.

Sean McAllister, tidy little ball player when with Shrewsbury, spell cut short due to constant injury problems.

Luke Summerfield, like his father Kevin played for us. Very good hard working player who just happened to be at the right place at the wrong time. Should of been given longer at Shrewsbury in my opinion.

Scott Vernon, intelligent striker who probably didnt show Shrews fans his best and paid for it.

Akwasi Asante was a loan player is quite frankly one of many loan strikers who fell off the radar with our supporters. He was involved in a poor team at the time but never really showed any promise.

Wishing you all the best for the season, i do look how you guys get on and how ex players get on.

#SALOP

a fair post, but that bit i dont buy, i didnt buy it when he was here and i dont now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 96
gtfc98
September 15, 2017, 11:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Hagrid

a fair post, but that bit i dont buy, i didnt buy it when he was here and i dont now

He's just a young lad enjoying his football the way I see it. Probably doesn't "love" Shreswbury or Grimsby as a club but likes being loved by fans and enjoying playing first team football. I think he'll end up being a very solid championship goalkeeper.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 96
grimsby pete
September 15, 2017, 11:17am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Regarding Hurst you might notice a difference in him when you have a few poor results,

He did not like to be questioned by our reporters he often gave snide remarks about the fans,

Also our non chairman ( not a honest man he told you in a roundabout way when he joined you )

In many eyes he was far too defensive and I think you are seeing  that by your 1-0 wins,

He had many on here who thought he was a good manager and to be fair I think he is ,

BUT

I am glad he left.

At the end of the day you are top of the league well done to him and the players.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 96
OllieGTFC
September 15, 2017, 11:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
🖕

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 96
Garth
September 15, 2017, 11:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
A good young manager who`s time at Grimsby had been sullied by a few unexpected poor loss results against teams that most fans would expected us to win, probably after he had finally steered us back into the league  it was a good time for all that he went when he did.

He IMO has a thin skin for a football manager and reacted poorly to criticism at Grimsby which from some quarters was quite vociferous, something that comes with the job in any club.
I wish him well at Shrewsbury and we move on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 96
grimps
September 15, 2017, 12:44pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 46
No disrespect to the Shrews but sitting at the top of league one must be a dream for you lot , when Hurst was in charge for us we was sitting in and around the top 6 of the conference , A position many of us thought was well below our natual order.

Hurst finally got us promotion after some extra backing from the fans and a local lottery winner , maybe if he'd had been backed more a lot earlier for us we'd had got promoted a lot sooner?

Hurst never got a good start to any season while he was with us and if he had our support would have been amazing and im sure it would have sucked the team along towards a title winning season.

Like others have said judge him when the chips are down , he'll kick out at the fans and blame Refs and others but one thing that the players working under him must have liked is he will always back them in public even if it means going up against the fans , maybe that is the sign of a good manager ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 96
moss_side_mariner
September 15, 2017, 12:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Enjoy being top of the league. He's really SPOILLING you.😉

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 96
fleabag1970
September 15, 2017, 12:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Nolan is a fantastic player who according to ex play mates he should be playing in the championship . Massive loss to gy imo .

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 96
Caesar
September 15, 2017, 1:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
I think Hurst does better when there isn't expectation on his shoulders and his side are not expected to go out and be the best.  I was a generally a supporter of his in our conference years but the way we stepped up  at the start of last season was very impressive.  That Luton away performance for example is one that stands out for me and while Bogle scored the goals it didn't completely rely on him, it was a great team performance. Generally we adapted and progressed really well.  While Cheltenham who to be fair dominated the league and us the year we went up struggled far more than we did.  

I think the current role with Shrewsbury will suit him quite well for a while, I think eventually he will get fancied by a bigger club and that will be a test for him when he is expected to get the results against 'lesser' teams, will he?   I am quite keen to find out.  Is interesting seeing how many ex town players and staff are excelling there now, and as much as it kinda annoys me seeing them at the top of league one while we gear up for a bloody long season I can't really begrudge any of them their success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 96
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrews Fan In Peace

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.