10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Caesar
September 16, 2017, 8:52am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Another point worth mentioning his CHAIRMAN stood by him.

That won't get many ticks on here but he gave Hurst a long run and in the end it worked.

I will give it a tick.  It was one of Fenty's best moments for me, not reacting to some fans making knee-jerk emotionally driven reactions (me included) and recognising that a stable playing vision and giving a manger time to put that into practice is the surest way to get us back in the league.  It is why the more recent drastic changes irritate me, I thought we had learned that lesson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 96
chaos33
September 16, 2017, 10:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
You could argue that the 'most recent drastic changes' were forced upon us; Hurst chose to leave for L1, and it all happened very quickly, and Bignot's sacking needed to be done before the mess got worse.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 96
Caesar
September 16, 2017, 11:28am

Fine Wine Drinker
You could, but at the risk of taking this a long way away from the topic though I think it is possibly a stretch to say that they were forced upon him.  What seems to be the case is we didn't do enough to keep Hurst/he wanted more investment in training facilities, and there was doubt about Bignot's "project" but considering his last game was a 3-0 victory over a team promoted (yes I know all the other results btw!)  making us mathematically safe with plenty of time to spare to say it was needed before a mess got worse is a stretch. Besides it is not just at management level we have lost any sense of stability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 96
chaos33
September 16, 2017, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Caesar
You could, but at the risk of taking this a long way away from the topic though I think it is possibly a stretch to say that they were forced upon him.  What seems to be the case is we didn't do enough to keep Hurst/he wanted more investment in training facilities, and there was doubt about Bignot's "project" but considering his last game was a 3-0 victory over a team promoted (yes I know all the other results btw!)  making us mathematically safe with plenty of time to spare to say it was needed before a mess got worse is a stretch. Besides it is not just at management level we have lost any sense of stability.

Can't really agree with any of that. Town would have found it hard to retain Hurst whatever the investment in infrastructure once a L1 opportunity came calling. As far as your Bignot view is concerned, your position seems to be predicated on the basis that the only thing that matters in terms of management is the odd good result, and keeping us safe. If you didn't notice the mess around him, half the terrible results/performances/tactical shambles, and haven't heard the insights people have reported , ie, off the field confusion and concern, you must have had your eyes and ears shut.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 96
grimsby pete
September 16, 2017, 12:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Another point worth mentioning his CHAIRMAN stood by him.

Yes and he still had a go at him when he joined Shrewsbury so much for loyalty.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 96
Mrs Doyle
September 16, 2017, 12:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Sadly no loyalty in football anymore Pete.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 96
Bigdog
September 16, 2017, 1:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I read your posts hence my challenge around your constant criticism without offending credible realistic alternatives.

Wanting better is fine and all fans/supporters should feel likewise, I do. However constantly sniping at people that have put their own personal time, money and career into GTFC is hardly aspirational

Kiss and make up and call it a draw?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 16, 2017, 4:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog

Kiss and make up and call it a draw?

👍

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 96
grimsby pete
September 16, 2017, 6:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
5 points clear after todays win,

Why couldn't Town start a season like that while Hurst was here.?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 96
Caesar
September 17, 2017, 7:42am

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Can't really agree with any of that. Town would have found it hard to retain Hurst whatever the investment in infrastructure once a L1 opportunity came calling. As far as your Bignot view is concerned, your position seems to be predicated on the basis that the only thing that matters in terms of management is the odd good result, and keeping us safe. If you didn't notice the mess around him, half the terrible results/performances/tactical shambles, and haven't heard the insights people have reported , ie, off the field confusion and concern, you must have had your eyes and ears shut.

I am not sure that Shrewsbury was the most attractive League 1 job as when he went they looked in deep trouble, you could maybe argue it made it a free swing, but I certainly think consensus at the time was it was an odd choice and not default the best option for him, but understand the point that it was pretty much out of our control, I just think we were not completely helpless in that situation.

And my position on Bignot is not that the odd good result matters, I was just making the point we were not in a real mess in the urgent needs replacing or relegation beckons sense.  I feel given the freedom he was in January, sacking him so shortly after is odd at best and creates further instability and turnover of players.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrews Fan In Peace

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.