This thread currently has 13,992 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Simariner
September 15, 2017, 1:30pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
Decent report trueblue89 and a good read when I don't really give a t0ss.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 96
Mariner_09
September 15, 2017, 1:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Hurst would still be here if some on here and at games hadn't given him so much stick, we never had a budget that was capable of being promoted. Cheltenham, Tranmere, Forest Green, Eastleigh and possibly Dover and Wrexham had bigger budgets than us. The negativity from the stands descended onto the pitch and we struggled at times as a result, The cringe worthy day at Halifax still rankles with me now. Hurst would have been hurt by the abusive chants of "Hurst out" and "Hursty is a masturbater", Toto was racially abused, I believe him, unlike most on here and we drove him out of the club as a result of our hubristic and arrogant attitude. "We must be up by Christmas" every single bloody year was the vibe I got and when Hurst gave some back everyone on here thought he was touchy. After all the abuse he received, he was right to give it back when he proved us wrong.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 96
Grim74
September 15, 2017, 1:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Easy to gloat when you are sitting top so all the best with that just don't think it will last, Hurst is a tinkerman with a big ego and will never be happy hence the drop is only a matter of time, looking at your results you are only winning by the odd goal so nothing special, and when the dip comes you will then see the dummy spitting attitude of Hurst so expect play offs at the best.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 96
trueblue89
September 15, 2017, 1:50pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +54
Quoted from Grim74
Easy to gloat when you are sitting top so all the best with that just don't think it will last, Hurst is a tinkerman with a big ego and will never be happy hence the drop is only a matter of time, looking at your results you are only winning by the odd goal so nothing special, and when the dip comes you will then see the dummy spitting attitude of Hurst so expect play offs at the best.

It is very easy to quote when your sitting handsomely at the top of the league. 1-0 wins are still 3 points on the board. If you look at some of the stats from our games, we either completely dominate or like Tuesday night against Southend they have more attempts but only really forced Henderson into 1 decent save, the rest were easy collections straight at him.

I totally understand the timing that some of you felt with Hurst leaving. Was probably best for both parties. Pretty similar to us and Mickey Mellon. He got us promoted back to League One at the 1st attempt in his 1st season but then never really furthered it. His recruitment after that was poor and really struggled in tactics and game plans. Still rate him as a very good up and coming manager. Future championship manager as i feel Hurst will be. Weather its with us doing a Burton or as rumored Rotherham.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 96
grimsby pete
September 15, 2017, 1:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
You can bet that he will end up at Rotherham one day.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 96
Ipswin
September 15, 2017, 2:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from trueblue89
Hi All

After reading your board a few times and seeing mixed reviews about our current gaffer Paul Hurst. As its clearly visible we are sitting top of the table but its very early days.

Since taking over from a fading out manager in Mickey Mellon we turned to Hurst to save the ship. Mission accomplished perfectly. Changing the whole mentality of the team. We went from " League One Ready " players who quite frankly looked like they were only with us to pick up an easy wage and go home to hungry determined and close knitted group of players who look so much fitter and more organised then our opposition. Long may it continue.  

Ad you know we have got a few ex GTFC players who in fact have been great.

Dean Henderson (Loan) has quickly become a fans favorite showing great maturity for such a youthful keeper. His passion doesn't go unnoticed when we score/ win he celebrates with the supports. Strings of top acrobatic saves and also a safe pair of hands. Destined for a bright future in the game.

Aristote Nsiala (Toto) Still has a lot to learn in my eyes and can be rash with challenges, has been an absolute rock at the back. He is growing game by game and looks very good.

Jon Nolan - WHAT A PLAYER. Has been compared to ex Shrews player Ryan Woods (currently at Brentford) the diminutive ginger engine shows a great vision for the game and has proven he can dictate the game on his own. Signing of the season so far.

Alex Rodman. When signed in January he was nowhere near fit. He chipped in with the odd assist. After having pre-season we have seen a totally different player. He is such a threat from out wide and adding Goals to his game

Lennel John-Lewis (The Shop) has featured a lot from the bench at present and has been a fine squad addition. Helping to seal games with fantastic hold up play.

We currently are odds on favorites to finish bottom. We have such a hard working and determined bunch that on paper are not the most glamorous but its working.

The links dont end there. You currently have a few of our ex players in your ranks and a few whom have been fans favourites

Ben Davies was a fantastic ball playmaking midfielder who was excellent from set-pieces. Such disappointment when he chose money and went to Notts County.

Sean McAllister, tidy little ball player when with Shrewsbury, spell cut short due to constant injury problems.

Luke Summerfield, like his father Kevin played for us. Very good hard working player who just happened to be at the right place at the wrong time. Should of been given longer at Shrewsbury in my opinion.

Scott Vernon, intelligent striker who probably didnt show Shrews fans his best and paid for it.

Akwasi Asante was a loan player is quite frankly one of many loan strikers who fell off the radar with our supporters. He was involved in a poor team at the time but never really showed any promise.

Wishing you all the best for the season, i do look how you guys get on and how ex players get on.

#SALOP

You patronising tw@t, you're welcome to all of 'em (except Nolan) and especially Hurst

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 96
moosey_club
September 15, 2017, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
No real grievance against Shrews fans,not on our radar in anyway up until Hurst went that way.

Shrew(d)    move by Hurst to take your job on in the first place, free pass for him given that you were already looking like relegation fodder so you no doubt would have welcomed the team being more organised and grinding out games, stealing the odd win and unexpected draws.    I dont think many on here were too suprised he pulled that part off.

We on the other hand had grown impatient with our Non League status and all too often losses to perceived "pub teams" who previously hadnt won a game or scored a goal in months.
The final non league season was not by any means impressive, plenty of fan grumblings around;
favoured players never getting dropped despite needing a wheelchair to get onto the pitch,
players frozen out completely,
very defense minded set up and square pegs in round holes
dour pre match press conferences where afore mentioned pub teams were likened to the Galactico,
post match press conferences when having thrown away winning positions to ultimately draw were always deemed  "a good point ",
his almost farcical "wait until 70th minute to make a sub rule" no matter how poor anyone was playing or tactics werent working,
his lack of Plan B when it came to attacking options
and by the end his snipes and comments at supporters not understanding and being spoilt

but...we musnt forget that was after several seasons, remembering back to the beginning of his (and Scotts) stint with us he inherited a fking shambles of a club, going perpetually downward, no established squad on the back of seasons of journeymen, no team ethic or bond, angry support, a club that was surrounded in negativity.
Similar to what you Shrews have experienced they got their own players in, started to turn the losses into draws, then wins, then semi success in cup / play offs etc, turned the club into an upward looking one with some pride which after 10 yrs of heading down was some effort. I can see some similarities between both starting positions he has had.

He is naturally a pessimistic, defensive type who doesnt like losing which seemed to engulf his thoughts and tactics ( detrimentally IMO ) while here, there was never a must win or lets go and win mantra from him during a season, you get the impression even in the finals that a draw would have done him if it were possible.. always "we didnt lose, kept a clean sheet, a good point" etc etc which grates after a few seasons.

He did ultimately get us promoted, he did preside over a couple of seasons where we had the best away records i can ever recall, ridiculously good on reflection  which also helped galvanise fans and breed our current impressive away followings. We do owe him thanks for that just a shame it took him so long otherwise he may have been universally accepted on here.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 96
Dan
September 15, 2017, 4:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
I personally was a big fan of Hurst. I think a subsection of our fans needlessly niggled away at him. Much like they have done with numerous players and managers over the years.

Yes, we were in the conference for most of his tenure, but honestly, the squads he put together during that time seemed far more organised and together than what we're witnessing now. As you say, he brought in some quality players and I'm not surprised he took a good proportion of them to Shrewsbury. I'm happy you guys stayed up and are have carried the momentum on. From what i can recall Shrewsbury were rock bottom when he took over, so already what he's achieved is pretty impressive. Whether Shrewsbury will carry on the momentum, I don't know, but I expect Hurst will and will find a championship club having a punt on him sooner or later.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 96
Skrill
September 15, 2017, 5:07pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Great start for the shrubs, 19 points from their first seven games would get any fan revived. Good luck to you.

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 96
arryarryarry
September 15, 2017, 5:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mariner_09
Hurst would still be here if some on here and at games hadn't given him so much stick, we never had a budget that was capable of being promoted. Cheltenham, Tranmere, Forest Green, Eastleigh and possibly Dover and Wrexham had bigger budgets than us. The negativity from the stands descended onto the pitch and we struggled at times as a result, The cringe worthy day at Halifax still rankles with me now. Hurst would have been hurt by the abusive chants of "Hurst out" and "Hursty is a masturbater", Toto was racially abused, I believe him, unlike most on here and we drove him out of the club as a result of our hubristic and arrogant attitude. "We must be up by Christmas" every single bloody year was the vibe I got and when Hurst gave some back everyone on here thought he was touchy. After all the abuse he received, he was right to give it back when he proved us wrong.

I have to say that most of that is bollox, we were excrement at Halifax, how do you expect the fans to react and it wasn't the first time, we were even shittier the first game Hurst was in charge at Halifax and he must have got a feeling then that the fans wont accept crappy performances like that.

Go on any forum and it would be the same response to such garbage performances.

He wasn't the first football manager to feel the wrath of fans and he most certainly wont be the last. His problem was instead of accepting his teams at time played crap he came out and insulted the fans, he also wouldn't accept criticism in the press that's why he fell out with JT and Radio Humberside refusing to speak to him and kept sending out Doig.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrews Fan In Peace

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.