arryarryarry
September 15, 2017, 7:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Les Brechin

Have to disagree with that I'm afraid. The atmosphere at that 4-2 defeat at Halifax in our promotion season was toxic. I'll never forget the face of the young lad (maybe 15 or 16) stood near me, contorted with hate shouting "Hursty is a male masturbator" and " intercourse Off You girl private". I don't think you'd find supporters of many other clubs who would have reacted in that way that day. It wasn't even like we were struggling in the table, we were still well placed to finish in the play-offs, which we ultimately did.

I've been going to away games for well over 40 years now and that day at Halifax was by far the worst atmosphere I have ever witnessed.

Don't know if  you ever visited Roker Park but I was at Sunderland the day we drew 1-1 I think and Lawrie Mac was their manager, I have never heard booing like it before or since from the start of the match to the end and I was sat in their main stand and when we went one nil up the air was toxic.

Try visiting a few other forums, Coventry for example on their thoughts of RS.

Like I said PH is not the first or last manager to be targeted and he just needed a thicker skin before rounding on the fans or media.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 96
Les Brechin
September 15, 2017, 8:05pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from arryarryarry

Don't know if  you ever visited Roker Park but I was at Sunderland the day we drew 1-1 I think and Lawrie Mac was their manager, I have never heard booing like it before or since from the start of the match to the end and I was sat in their main stand and when we went one nil up the air was toxic.

Try visiting a few other forums, Coventry for example on their thoughts of RS.

Like I said PH is not the first or last manager to be targeted and he just needed a thicker skin before rounding on the fans or media.

Coventry were a struggling relegated side who had lost several games on the trot, so that's understandable to a degree. We were well placed in the table and had lost one of our last ten games before that Halifax match. Hardly comparable really.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 96
Bigdog
September 15, 2017, 8:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I wasn't shocked that PH kept Shrewsbury up. He's methodical enough to do so. I'm a bit surprised with the start they've had though. Early doors to get carried away with I told you sos I guess.

Because we ended up promoted, I think some of the defeats and displays we had to endure during the second half of that season have somehow been airbrushed from history. It was like groundhog day with PH playing the same team and the same tactics week in week out. It was dire at times. There was not a hint of flair from him in trying something different and he had the firepower of Bogle and Amond at his disposal. It was like he'd run out of ideas and probably one injury got him out of jail. Cowley outmanaged him over that season on Braintree's budget.

He's the best manager we've had in the Fenty era, but I don't think we've been treated to a conveyor belt of talent to compare him to. He's a safe pair of hands for a club like Shrewsbury at that level but I don't expect them to be in the play offs by the end of the season. If they are and he becomes a successful manager at a higher level than League One, I'll eat humble pie and be pleased for him. Time can only tell..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 96
LH
September 15, 2017, 8:36pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,458
Gold Stars: 172
It amazes me how far out of context people took that spoiled comment even up to today. He wasn't referring to the FA Cup semi final, the Wembley double or anything like that, ffs.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 96
Hagrid
September 15, 2017, 8:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Hated that day at halifax, was the worst atmosphere i've wver been part of. Not just the chants ar hurst but at the players also- players who got us up 3 months later
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2017, 9:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog
I wasn't shocked that PH kept Shrewsbury up. He's methodical enough to do so. I'm a bit surprised with the start they've had though. Early doors to get carried away with I told you sos I guess.

Because we ended up promoted, I think some of the defeats and displays we had to endure during the second half of that season have somehow been airbrushed from history. It was like groundhog day with PH playing the same team and the same tactics week in week out. It was dire at times. There was not a hint of flair from him in trying something different and he had the firepower of Bogle and Amond at his disposal. It was like he'd run out of ideas and probably one injury got him out of jail. Cowley outmanaged him over that season on Braintree's budget.

He's the best manager we've had in the Fenty era, but I don't think we've been treated to a conveyor belt of talent to compare him to. He's a safe pair of hands for a club like Shrewsbury at that level but I don't expect them to be in the play offs by the end of the season. If they are and he becomes a successful manager at a higher level than League One, I'll eat humble pie and be pleased for him. Time can only tell..

Do you ever give anyone any credit? How did Crowley out manage Hurst? Hurst won the tie in a results based business.

Why are you so "glass half empty" about everything associated with GTFC?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 96
chaos33
September 15, 2017, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Bigdog

I would agree with that.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 96
Marinerz93
September 15, 2017, 9:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
trueblue89 saying as you like Grimsby Town ex players and manager so much, how about a hat-trick and take our exceptional non Chairman too. Before you know it you'll be playing champions league.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 96
MarinerBen
September 15, 2017, 9:37pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
Shrewsbury is a nice town, similar to Louth but with an ever-so slightly bigger river than the Ludd.

You gonna gloat about that too?

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2017, 9:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from MarinerBen
Shrewsbury is a nice town, similar to Louth but with an ever-so slightly bigger river than the Ludd.

You gonna gloat about that too?

Possibly the post of the week

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrews Fan In Peace

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.