This thread currently has 13,920 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
trueblue89
September 15, 2017, 10:24am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +54
Hi All

After reading your board a few times and seeing mixed reviews about our current gaffer Paul Hurst. As its clearly visible we are sitting top of the table but its very early days.

Since taking over from a fading out manager in Mickey Mellon we turned to Hurst to save the ship. Mission accomplished perfectly. Changing the whole mentality of the team. We went from " League One Ready " players who quite frankly looked like they were only with us to pick up an easy wage and go home to hungry determined and close knitted group of players who look so much fitter and more organised then our opposition. Long may it continue.  

Ad you know we have got a few ex GTFC players who in fact have been great.

Dean Henderson (Loan) has quickly become a fans favorite showing great maturity for such a youthful keeper. His passion doesn't go unnoticed when we score/ win he celebrates with the supports. Strings of top acrobatic saves and also a safe pair of hands. Destined for a bright future in the game.

Aristote Nsiala (Toto) Still has a lot to learn in my eyes and can be rash with challenges, has been an absolute rock at the back. He is growing game by game and looks very good.

Jon Nolan - WHAT A PLAYER. Has been compared to ex Shrews player Ryan Woods (currently at Brentford) the diminutive ginger engine shows a great vision for the game and has proven he can dictate the game on his own. Signing of the season so far.

Alex Rodman. When signed in January he was nowhere near fit. He chipped in with the odd assist. After having pre-season we have seen a totally different player. He is such a threat from out wide and adding Goals to his game

Lennel John-Lewis (The Shop) has featured a lot from the bench at present and has been a fine squad addition. Helping to seal games with fantastic hold up play.

We currently are odds on favorites to finish bottom. We have such a hard working and determined bunch that on paper are not the most glamorous but its working.

The links dont end there. You currently have a few of our ex players in your ranks and a few whom have been fans favourites

Ben Davies was a fantastic ball playmaking midfielder who was excellent from set-pieces. Such disappointment when he chose money and went to Notts County.

Sean McAllister, tidy little ball player when with Shrewsbury, spell cut short due to constant injury problems.

Luke Summerfield, like his father Kevin played for us. Very good hard working player who just happened to be at the right place at the wrong time. Should of been given longer at Shrewsbury in my opinion.

Scott Vernon, intelligent striker who probably didnt show Shrews fans his best and paid for it.

Akwasi Asante was a loan player is quite frankly one of many loan strikers who fell off the radar with our supporters. He was involved in a poor team at the time but never really showed any promise.

Wishing you all the best for the season, i do look how you guys get on and how ex players get on.

#SALOP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
September 15, 2017, 10:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,989
Gold Stars: 507
Quoted from trueblue89
Hi All

After reading your board a few times and seeing mixed reviews about our current gaffer Paul Hurst. As its clearly visible we are sitting top of the table but its very early days.

Since taking over from a fading out manager in Mickey Mellon we turned to Hurst to save the ship. Mission accomplished perfectly. Changing the whole mentality of the team. We went from " League One Ready " players who quite frankly looked like they were only with us to pick up an easy wage and go home to hungry determined and close knitted group of players who look so much fitter and more organised then our opposition. Long may it continue.  

Dean Henderson (Loan) has quickly become a fans favorite showing great maturity for such a youthful keeper. His passion doesn't go unnoticed when we score/ win he celebrates with the supports. Strings of top acrobatic saves and also a safe pair of hands. Destined for a bright future in the game.

Aristote Nsiala (Toto) Still has a lot to learn in my eyes and can be rash with challenges, has been an absolute rock at the back. He is growing game by game and looks very good.

Jon Nolan - WHAT A PLAYER. Has been compared to ex Shrews player Ryan Woods (currently at Brentford) the diminutive ginger engine shows a great vision for the game and has proven he can dictate the game on his own. Signing of the season so far.

Alex Rodman. When signed in January he was nowhere near fit. He chipped in with the odd assist. After having pre-season we have seen a totally different player. He is such a threat from out wide and adding Goals to his game

Lennel John-Lewis (The Shop) has featured a lot from the bench at present and has been a fine squad addition. Helping to seal games with fantastic hold up play.

We currently are odds on favorites to finish bottom. We have such a hard working and determined bunch that on paper are not the most glamorous but its working.

The links dont end there. You currently have a few of our ex players in your ranks and a few whom have been fans favourites

Ben Davies was a fantastic ball playmaking midfielder who was excellent from set-pieces. Such disappointment when he chose money and went to Notts County.

Sean McAllister, tidy little ball player when with Shrewsbury, spell cut short due to constant injury problems.

Luke Summerfield, like his father Kevin played for us. Very good hard working player who just happened to be at the right place at the wrong time. Should of been given longer at Shrewsbury in my opinion.

Scott Vernon, intelligent striker who probably didnt show Shrews fans his best and paid for it.

Akwasi Asante was a loan player is quite frankly one of many loan strikers who fell off the radar with our supporters. He was involved in a poor team at the time but never really showed any promise.

Wishing you all the best for the season, i do look how you guys get on and how ex players get on.

#SALOP

a fair post, but that bit i dont buy, i didnt buy it when he was here and i dont now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 96
gtfc98
September 15, 2017, 11:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
Quoted from Hagrid

a fair post, but that bit i dont buy, i didnt buy it when he was here and i dont now

He's just a young lad enjoying his football the way I see it. Probably doesn't "love" Shreswbury or Grimsby as a club but likes being loved by fans and enjoying playing first team football. I think he'll end up being a very solid championship goalkeeper.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 96
grimsby pete
September 15, 2017, 11:17am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Regarding Hurst you might notice a difference in him when you have a few poor results,

He did not like to be questioned by our reporters he often gave snide remarks about the fans,

Also our non chairman ( not a honest man he told you in a roundabout way when he joined you )

In many eyes he was far too defensive and I think you are seeing  that by your 1-0 wins,

He had many on here who thought he was a good manager and to be fair I think he is ,

BUT

I am glad he left.

At the end of the day you are top of the league well done to him and the players.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 96
OllieGTFC
September 15, 2017, 11:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
🖕

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 96
Garth
September 15, 2017, 11:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
A good young manager who`s time at Grimsby had been sullied by a few unexpected poor loss results against teams that most fans would expected us to win, probably after he had finally steered us back into the league  it was a good time for all that he went when he did.

He IMO has a thin skin for a football manager and reacted poorly to criticism at Grimsby which from some quarters was quite vociferous, something that comes with the job in any club.
I wish him well at Shrewsbury and we move on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 96
grimps
September 15, 2017, 12:44pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
No disrespect to the Shrews but sitting at the top of league one must be a dream for you lot , when Hurst was in charge for us we was sitting in and around the top 6 of the conference , A position many of us thought was well below our natual order.

Hurst finally got us promotion after some extra backing from the fans and a local lottery winner , maybe if he'd had been backed more a lot earlier for us we'd had got promoted a lot sooner?

Hurst never got a good start to any season while he was with us and if he had our support would have been amazing and im sure it would have sucked the team along towards a title winning season.

Like others have said judge him when the chips are down , he'll kick out at the fans and blame Refs and others but one thing that the players working under him must have liked is he will always back them in public even if it means going up against the fans , maybe that is the sign of a good manager ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 96
moss_side_mariner
September 15, 2017, 12:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Enjoy being top of the league. He's really SPOILLING you.😉

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 96
fleabag1970
September 15, 2017, 12:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Nolan is a fantastic player who according to ex play mates he should be playing in the championship . Massive loss to gy imo .

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 96
Caesar
September 15, 2017, 1:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
I think Hurst does better when there isn't expectation on his shoulders and his side are not expected to go out and be the best.  I was a generally a supporter of his in our conference years but the way we stepped up  at the start of last season was very impressive.  That Luton away performance for example is one that stands out for me and while Bogle scored the goals it didn't completely rely on him, it was a great team performance. Generally we adapted and progressed really well.  While Cheltenham who to be fair dominated the league and us the year we went up struggled far more than we did.  

I think the current role with Shrewsbury will suit him quite well for a while, I think eventually he will get fancied by a bigger club and that will be a test for him when he is expected to get the results against 'lesser' teams, will he?   I am quite keen to find out.  Is interesting seeing how many ex town players and staff are excelling there now, and as much as it kinda annoys me seeing them at the top of league one while we gear up for a bloody long season I can't really begrudge any of them their success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 96
Simariner
September 15, 2017, 1:30pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
Decent report trueblue89 and a good read when I don't really give a t0ss.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 96
Mariner_09
September 15, 2017, 1:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Hurst would still be here if some on here and at games hadn't given him so much stick, we never had a budget that was capable of being promoted. Cheltenham, Tranmere, Forest Green, Eastleigh and possibly Dover and Wrexham had bigger budgets than us. The negativity from the stands descended onto the pitch and we struggled at times as a result, The cringe worthy day at Halifax still rankles with me now. Hurst would have been hurt by the abusive chants of "Hurst out" and "Hursty is a masturbater", Toto was racially abused, I believe him, unlike most on here and we drove him out of the club as a result of our hubristic and arrogant attitude. "We must be up by Christmas" every single bloody year was the vibe I got and when Hurst gave some back everyone on here thought he was touchy. After all the abuse he received, he was right to give it back when he proved us wrong.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 96
Grim74
September 15, 2017, 1:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Easy to gloat when you are sitting top so all the best with that just don't think it will last, Hurst is a tinkerman with a big ego and will never be happy hence the drop is only a matter of time, looking at your results you are only winning by the odd goal so nothing special, and when the dip comes you will then see the dummy spitting attitude of Hurst so expect play offs at the best.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 96
trueblue89
September 15, 2017, 1:50pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +54
Quoted from Grim74
Easy to gloat when you are sitting top so all the best with that just don't think it will last, Hurst is a tinkerman with a big ego and will never be happy hence the drop is only a matter of time, looking at your results you are only winning by the odd goal so nothing special, and when the dip comes you will then see the dummy spitting attitude of Hurst so expect play offs at the best.

It is very easy to quote when your sitting handsomely at the top of the league. 1-0 wins are still 3 points on the board. If you look at some of the stats from our games, we either completely dominate or like Tuesday night against Southend they have more attempts but only really forced Henderson into 1 decent save, the rest were easy collections straight at him.

I totally understand the timing that some of you felt with Hurst leaving. Was probably best for both parties. Pretty similar to us and Mickey Mellon. He got us promoted back to League One at the 1st attempt in his 1st season but then never really furthered it. His recruitment after that was poor and really struggled in tactics and game plans. Still rate him as a very good up and coming manager. Future championship manager as i feel Hurst will be. Weather its with us doing a Burton or as rumored Rotherham.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 96
grimsby pete
September 15, 2017, 1:55pm

Exile
You can bet that he will end up at Rotherham one day.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 96
Ipswin
September 15, 2017, 2:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from trueblue89
Hi All

#SALOP

You patronising tw@t, you're welcome to all of 'em (except Nolan) and especially Hurst

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 96
moosey_club
September 15, 2017, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
No real grievance against Shrews fans,not on our radar in anyway up until Hurst went that way.

Shrew(d)    move by Hurst to take your job on in the first place, free pass for him given that you were already looking like relegation fodder so you no doubt would have welcomed the team being more organised and grinding out games, stealing the odd win and unexpected draws.    I dont think many on here were too suprised he pulled that part off.

We on the other hand had grown impatient with our Non League status and all too often losses to perceived "pub teams" who previously hadnt won a game or scored a goal in months.
The final non league season was not by any means impressive, plenty of fan grumblings around;
favoured players never getting dropped despite needing a wheelchair to get onto the pitch,
players frozen out completely,
very defense minded set up and square pegs in round holes
dour pre match press conferences where afore mentioned pub teams were likened to the Galactico,
post match press conferences when having thrown away winning positions to ultimately draw were always deemed  "a good point ",
his almost farcical "wait until 70th minute to make a sub rule" no matter how poor anyone was playing or tactics werent working,
his lack of Plan B when it came to attacking options
and by the end his snipes and comments at supporters not understanding and being spoilt

but...we musnt forget that was after several seasons, remembering back to the beginning of his (and Scotts) stint with us he inherited a fking shambles of a club, going perpetually downward, no established squad on the back of seasons of journeymen, no team ethic or bond, angry support, a club that was surrounded in negativity.
Similar to what you Shrews have experienced they got their own players in, started to turn the losses into draws, then wins, then semi success in cup / play offs etc, turned the club into an upward looking one with some pride which after 10 yrs of heading down was some effort. I can see some similarities between both starting positions he has had.

He is naturally a pessimistic, defensive type who doesnt like losing which seemed to engulf his thoughts and tactics ( detrimentally IMO ) while here, there was never a must win or lets go and win mantra from him during a season, you get the impression even in the finals that a draw would have done him if it were possible.. always "we didnt lose, kept a clean sheet, a good point" etc etc which grates after a few seasons.

He did ultimately get us promoted, he did preside over a couple of seasons where we had the best away records i can ever recall, ridiculously good on reflection  which also helped galvanise fans and breed our current impressive away followings. We do owe him thanks for that just a shame it took him so long otherwise he may have been universally accepted on here.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 96
Dan
September 15, 2017, 4:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
I personally was a big fan of Hurst. I think a subsection of our fans needlessly niggled away at him. Much like they have done with numerous players and managers over the years.

Yes, we were in the conference for most of his tenure, but honestly, the squads he put together during that time seemed far more organised and together than what we're witnessing now. As you say, he brought in some quality players and I'm not surprised he took a good proportion of them to Shrewsbury. I'm happy you guys stayed up and are have carried the momentum on. From what i can recall Shrewsbury were rock bottom when he took over, so already what he's achieved is pretty impressive. Whether Shrewsbury will carry on the momentum, I don't know, but I expect Hurst will and will find a championship club having a punt on him sooner or later.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 96
Skrill
September 15, 2017, 5:07pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Great start for the shrubs, 19 points from their first seven games would get any fan revived. Good luck to you.

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 96
arryarryarry
September 15, 2017, 5:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mariner_09
Hurst would still be here if some on here and at games hadn't given him so much stick, we never had a budget that was capable of being promoted. Cheltenham, Tranmere, Forest Green, Eastleigh and possibly Dover and Wrexham had bigger budgets than us. The negativity from the stands descended onto the pitch and we struggled at times as a result, The cringe worthy day at Halifax still rankles with me now. Hurst would have been hurt by the abusive chants of "Hurst out" and "Hursty is a masturbater", Toto was racially abused, I believe him, unlike most on here and we drove him out of the club as a result of our hubristic and arrogant attitude. "We must be up by Christmas" every single bloody year was the vibe I got and when Hurst gave some back everyone on here thought he was touchy. After all the abuse he received, he was right to give it back when he proved us wrong.

I have to say that most of that is bollox, we were excrement at Halifax, how do you expect the fans to react and it wasn't the first time, we were even shittier the first game Hurst was in charge at Halifax and he must have got a feeling then that the fans wont accept crappy performances like that.

Go on any forum and it would be the same response to such garbage performances.

He wasn't the first football manager to feel the wrath of fans and he most certainly wont be the last. His problem was instead of accepting his teams at time played crap he came out and insulted the fans, he also wouldn't accept criticism in the press that's why he fell out with JT and Radio Humberside refusing to speak to him and kept sending out Doig.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 96
bax
September 15, 2017, 5:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
If someone has the chance to double their wages, in any walk of life, they take it, right? I would. I don't think football managers are any different.

To say PH would still be here if the fans didn't get on his back...sorry, if a "bigger" club come calling offering you more money, you leave. It's a short career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 96
devs
September 15, 2017, 5:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
Hurst is a top manager who will go a long way in the game
It took him a few years to get us promoted - see also Luton, Lincoln etc and speak to Wrexham, Tranmere fans this season,,, there was no Gid given right to get the job done in 2/3 seasons
Some people on here formed an opinion of the bloke - as they have done with certain players - and they have no humility to change when it becomes obvious (through promotion and being sought by other, better teams) they are simply wrong and Hurst/players are vindicated through success on the field

And then when PH took issue with some of the arrogant, vile chanting and reacted they 'don't wike it' and get very very upset...bless them!
Basically, keyboard warriors who hide behind computers and whinge when someone answers back.

You can criticise PH's playing style which is fair enough but you cannot knock his success rate at every club he's managed

I am not in the slightest bit surprised he's turned Shrewsbury around - top, top manager and a decent man IMO

I'm just sorry he didn't take time out from his busy schedule to massage a few fragile egos on here

Dons tin hat, retreats to safety, and waits for the inevitable abuse.... but who cares
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2017, 5:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
My view on PH?

- Mostly the team played a standard and style of football that made us look like a non league team, winch was quite fitting as we where a non league team with non league players so what do you expect?

- "Took to long to get is up" O.K. but once that idiot Scott left in the 2 and 9/10's of the season Hurst had solo in the job PO semi, PO final,PO winners. The play offs as we all know is a lottery.

- "He never won the league", true but only one club a season can do this and only 2 go up, many had bigger budgets than us.

- "He was dour", agree but he's from fukin Rotherham so what do you expect, Players seem to like him though.He was usually dour when the likes of JT was trying to have a pop at the team or a particular play.

- "Had had no passion", what are we saying here? many posters said Bignot had passion give me a Hurst over a bull sh1tter any day. If you went to Luton last season and saw him after that game and many other away games you would think differently  

- "He bought badly" - With the one year deal cycle and the transfer windows at that level you have a revolving door each season so you will get some wrong but see some names mentioned in the OP and add Andrew, Amond, Magnay, Arnold, Tait etc.. oh yeah and a lad called Bogle who is currently plying his trade at a team sat 22nd in the pyramid.  

- "He was negative", at times possibly but that got is an away record that actually got us into the play off's as the home record was at times iffy.

- "He looked after himself and left us for the first offer", no he didn't as we know there had been a few tentative approaches during his time with town.

- "He looked after himself and left us for the first offer"look up football managers in the dictionary that's what they tend to do.

- "He left because the club would not give him a S&C coach" so what? we've got one now and last Saturday the team that best us never broke into a sweat. When he was the manager in non league did we play many fitter teams? A couple maybe but it was the exception.

- "He had no charisma", in the media I would agree but he can get players to sign for him and play for him, need I say more? As long as the players respect you then that is all that matters  

- "He didn't develop the infrastructure" behave FFS.

- "He cupped his ear to us" after Halifax, Hurst out" and blaming him when we didn't win 12 - 0 each week or looked like Real Madrid I think he possibly had a right to, "if you cant take it don't give it".

- "He said we where spoiled" we where under Buckley and some fans (including myself at times) expect too much, those days have gone, football has changed and would a Buckley style in non league now get you one of these 2 promotion spots back to the EFL? I'm not sure.

Like most managers he made mistakes and no doubt that if he had his time here again he may do things differently, who wouldn't?  

Look at who we have had since, a gob sh1te  with a mediocre playing career who came in from tin pot who in the first week told a tight unit of full time pros sat in the play off positions in their league that there was "not enough technical ability in the squad" he also told 1000's of people the same in the media too, nice move Marcus, oddly enough that was the highest league position we achieved that season. The rest in the main is laughable history.

Marcus Biggob has been followed by an "experienced well organised manager" who in the career promotion wining stakes is currently losing 3 - 0 to Paul Hurst despite all the clubs he has managed  

All this is my view on things but one thing is for sure to win promotion from one of the most difficult leagues in football to escape from then next season go up another level and save a doomed team would suggest despite dividing opinion (for some) he is a pretty competent football manager which I believe is the title of his job description isn't it?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 96
Les Brechin
September 15, 2017, 6:44pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from arryarryarry

I have to say that most of that is bollox, we were excrement at Halifax, how do you expect the fans to react and it wasn't the first time, we were even shittier the first game Hurst was in charge at Halifax and he must have got a feeling then that the fans wont accept crappy performances like that.

Go on any forum and it would be the same response to such garbage performances.

He wasn't the first football manager to feel the wrath of fans and he most certainly wont be the last. His problem was instead of accepting his teams at time played crap he came out and insulted the fans, he also wouldn't accept criticism in the press that's why he fell out with JT and Radio Humberside refusing to speak to him and kept sending out Doig.

Have to disagree with that I'm afraid. The atmosphere at that 4-2 defeat at Halifax in our promotion season was toxic. I'll never forget the face of the young lad (maybe 15 or 16) stood near me, contorted with hate shouting "Hursty is a male masturbator" and " intercourse Off You girl private". I don't think you'd find supporters of many other clubs who would have reacted in that way that day. It wasn't even like we were struggling in the table, we were still well placed to finish in the play-offs, which we ultimately did.

I've been going to away games for well over 40 years now and that day at Halifax was by far the worst atmosphere I have ever witnessed.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 96
Caesar
September 15, 2017, 6:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Have to disagree with that I'm afraid. The atmosphere at that 4-2 defeat at Halifax in our promotion season was toxic. I'll never forget the face of the young lad (maybe 15 or 16) stood near me, contorted with hate shouting "Hursty is a male masturbator" and " intercourse Off You girl private". I don't think you'd find supporters of many other clubs who would have reacted in that way that day. It wasn't even like we were struggling in the table, we were still well placed to finish in the play-offs, which we ultimately did.

I've been going to away games for well over 40 years now and that day at Halifax was by far the worst atmosphere I have ever witnessed.

Agree with a lot of this, that was the most toxic atmosphere I have witnessed, and I think the Hurst out banner after the Home playoff leg against Braintree was one of the stupidest things ever to happen.  However I don't think it was a key reason for Hurst leaving.  Think they may of been key reasons for his reaction to Nathan Arnolds goal being to cup his ears to fans but not for him leaving.  Think a lot more went into that decision.  

Also have to say other clubs can get as bad, look at Arsenal and Wenger at the moment for example, or Steve Mclaren having numerous season tickets aimed his way, as have other Newcastle managers.  Think that level of toxicity is rate, and it took a perfect storm of poorly worded comments and long term frustration.  Not excusing it at all as I don't think that level of hate as you described is excusable, but sadly don't think it is that unique.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 96
Abdul19
September 15, 2017, 7:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
It was just banter.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 96
grimsby pete
September 15, 2017, 7:11pm

Exile
Quoted from Abdul19
It was just banter.

Do you mean from Hurst ?

If so we were not use to it from him,

He should have told us  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 96
grimsby pete
September 15, 2017, 7:16pm

Exile
Quoted from bax
If someone has the chance to double their wages, in any walk of life, they take it, right? I would. I don't think football managers are any different.

To say PH would still be here if the fans didn't get on his back...sorry, if a "bigger" club come calling offering you more money, you leave.         IT'S A SHORT CAREER    

Only if they are no good at it Bax,

Many managers go into their 60's and some even are still employed in their 70's

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 96
Rodley Mariner
September 15, 2017, 7:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Hurst was just too thin skinned to be a manager

On an entirely unrelated note, that time he flippantly said we were spoilt and then when he cupped his ear haunts me to this very day and either makes me cry or fly into an uncontrollable rage when I remember it. All I asked was that he mentioned how wonderful a supporter I am in the press conference.

If you want to be GTFC manager all you have to do is give 100% and deliver exciting, high-scoring victories. And do a good press conference. And talk up the fans. And be loyal. If you do that we're an easy going bunch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 96
Mrs Doyle
September 15, 2017, 7:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Two of Hurst's best traits were his ability to spot  talented players and a overriding desire to build a tight unit with team bonding. A very stubborn man we got him and Rob Scot as a team but once Scot got kicked out it was obvious Hurst was the thinking man cool,tough,and driven.

I bare no malice toward Hurst and wish him well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 96
arryarryarry
September 15, 2017, 7:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Les Brechin

Don't know if  you ever visited Roker Park but I was at Sunderland the day we drew 1-1 I think and Lawrie Mac was their manager, I have never heard booing like it before or since from the start of the match to the end and I was sat in their main stand and when we went one nil up the air was toxic.

Try visiting a few other forums, Coventry for example on their thoughts of RS.

Like I said PH is not the first or last manager to be targeted and he just needed a thicker skin before rounding on the fans or media.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 96
Les Brechin
September 15, 2017, 8:05pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from arryarryarry

Don't know if  you ever visited Roker Park but I was at Sunderland the day we drew 1-1 I think and Lawrie Mac was their manager, I have never heard booing like it before or since from the start of the match to the end and I was sat in their main stand and when we went one nil up the air was toxic.

Try visiting a few other forums, Coventry for example on their thoughts of RS.

Like I said PH is not the first or last manager to be targeted and he just needed a thicker skin before rounding on the fans or media.

Coventry were a struggling relegated side who had lost several games on the trot, so that's understandable to a degree. We were well placed in the table and had lost one of our last ten games before that Halifax match. Hardly comparable really.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 96
Bigdog
September 15, 2017, 8:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I wasn't shocked that PH kept Shrewsbury up. He's methodical enough to do so. I'm a bit surprised with the start they've had though. Early doors to get carried away with I told you sos I guess.

Because we ended up promoted, I think some of the defeats and displays we had to endure during the second half of that season have somehow been airbrushed from history. It was like groundhog day with PH playing the same team and the same tactics week in week out. It was dire at times. There was not a hint of flair from him in trying something different and he had the firepower of Bogle and Amond at his disposal. It was like he'd run out of ideas and probably one injury got him out of jail. Cowley outmanaged him over that season on Braintree's budget.

He's the best manager we've had in the Fenty era, but I don't think we've been treated to a conveyor belt of talent to compare him to. He's a safe pair of hands for a club like Shrewsbury at that level but I don't expect them to be in the play offs by the end of the season. If they are and he becomes a successful manager at a higher level than League One, I'll eat humble pie and be pleased for him. Time can only tell..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 96
LH
September 15, 2017, 8:36pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,390
Gold Stars: 169
It amazes me how far out of context people took that spoiled comment even up to today. He wasn't referring to the FA Cup semi final, the Wembley double or anything like that, ffs.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 96
Hagrid
September 15, 2017, 8:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,989
Gold Stars: 507
Hated that day at halifax, was the worst atmosphere i've wver been part of. Not just the chants ar hurst but at the players also- players who got us up 3 months later
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2017, 9:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
I wasn't shocked that PH kept Shrewsbury up. He's methodical enough to do so. I'm a bit surprised with the start they've had though. Early doors to get carried away with I told you sos I guess.

Because we ended up promoted, I think some of the defeats and displays we had to endure during the second half of that season have somehow been airbrushed from history. It was like groundhog day with PH playing the same team and the same tactics week in week out. It was dire at times. There was not a hint of flair from him in trying something different and he had the firepower of Bogle and Amond at his disposal. It was like he'd run out of ideas and probably one injury got him out of jail. Cowley outmanaged him over that season on Braintree's budget.

He's the best manager we've had in the Fenty era, but I don't think we've been treated to a conveyor belt of talent to compare him to. He's a safe pair of hands for a club like Shrewsbury at that level but I don't expect them to be in the play offs by the end of the season. If they are and he becomes a successful manager at a higher level than League One, I'll eat humble pie and be pleased for him. Time can only tell..

Do you ever give anyone any credit? How did Crowley out manage Hurst? Hurst won the tie in a results based business.

Why are you so "glass half empty" about everything associated with GTFC?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 96
chaos33
September 15, 2017, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Bigdog

I would agree with that.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 96
Marinerz93
September 15, 2017, 9:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
trueblue89 saying as you like Grimsby Town ex players and manager so much, how about a hat-trick and take our exceptional non Chairman too. Before you know it you'll be playing champions league.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 96
MarinerBen
September 15, 2017, 9:37pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
Shrewsbury is a nice town, similar to Louth but with an ever-so slightly bigger river than the Ludd.

You gonna gloat about that too?

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2017, 9:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerBen
Shrewsbury is a nice town, similar to Louth but with an ever-so slightly bigger river than the Ludd.

You gonna gloat about that too?

Possibly the post of the week

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 96
Bigdog
September 15, 2017, 9:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Do you ever give anyone any credit?  How did Crowley out manage Hurst? Hurst won the tie in a results based business.

Why are you so "glass half empty" about everything associated with GTFC?

Yes I do give credit where credit's due if you don't cherry pick my posts. Being a solid League One manager is something not to be sniffed at.

Cowley tiny budget compared to Hurst and finished one place higher over the season.

I think the GTFC glass has been half empty for years and needs filling up.

I prefer me wanting us to strive for better than what we've got, I think our long suffering fans deserve more than what they've been getting.

Honest debates about how we can try to achieve more for a brighter hopeful future versus the defeatist doses of grim realism you chuck about the place.

If you always accept that half a glass is always half full rather than half empty, you'll never get it filled up for you..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2017, 10:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
How exactly are you "striving for better"?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 96
Bigdog
September 15, 2017, 10:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
How exactly are you "striving for better"?

Strive = Aspire

FFS Herts, read my post correctly before constantly having a go. The answer's already there.

Or, just don't read my posts.

I'm always up for a debate, but hate getting into pointless catfights..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 96
Vance Warner
September 15, 2017, 11:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Interesting that the ubs mentioned with more critical 'fans' than us are Arsenal, Newcastle, Sunderland and Coventry. One thing we all have In common is consistently underachieving. Coincidence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2017, 11:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I read your posts hence my challenge around your constant criticism without offending credible realistic alternatives.

Wanting better is fine and all fans/supporters should feel likewise, I do. However constantly sniping at people that have put their own personal time, money and career into GTFC is hardly aspirational

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 96
KingstonMariner
September 15, 2017, 11:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Thanks for the update trueblue.

Nice to read something like that that has no side to it like the Shrew who came here the other week.

Beat Scunny in the playoffs next May and you'll find a lot of Shrewsbury fans from NE Lincs (even with Hurst at the helm 😀)

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 96
AndyGTFC
September 15, 2017, 11:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +774
Gold Stars: 4
Pleased he's doing well. He's the only manager to deliver some real positivity to this club in a long time and left us in a much better position than he started so there shouldn't be any bitterness.

It did take us a few attempts to go up in a very difficult league but football is often about small margins. As sole manager, he lost to Gateshead when we were down to nine men through poor refereeing and stupidity and then on penalties to Bristol Rovers after more poor refereeing and being the better side. We then got a bit of luck for a change at Braintree ourselves with the red card and penalty when we were probably a better side the season before.  

Keep it up and he'll be at a Rotherham or Sheffield Wednesday one of these days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 96
forza ivano
September 16, 2017, 1:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,134
Gold Stars: 265
Lots of really interesting views and comments most of which are honestly felt and coherently argued.thanks to true blue for one of the better recent threads.
I'm going to make a point I've made before, but hasn't featured in this thread..
First and foremost is to put ourselves in hursts shoes. He had a long career at rovrum, but had never earned enough to be financially secure.he has a wife n family to support ,mortgage n bills to pay, all the normal problems we have to deal with, but he is basically without a career in his early 30s.he pals up with Scott and makes a successful team. Gy come calling and his dream of success and the financial rewards it brings are within his grasp.then scott flecks up and he is left alone for the first time ever.its make or break. He fails at gy and realistically he never gets a pro football job again.fail and he gets sacked; how does he meet the mortgage, pay the bills, put the kids through uni etc? He does exactly what I'd do: he plays the percentage game.ie we have more money than most, we have pro players so basically we should beat most teams especially if we play safe.and so it transpired. Gtfc and hurst played safe, played the percentages and he gained a reputation.fa trophy success every year, play offs guaranteed every year.within a couple of years he is the most employable manager in non league and his future is guaranteed. Then he got a bit of luck and got us promoted and he just took himself to a new level. Good start and then higher league shrews come calling.he is now made for life and good luck to him. The worst that can happen is that he now gets sacked by shrews, gets a three ar contract with a decent league 2 side, based on his old record. Fail again and he will still get a decent conference managers contract..this sport is a game and he's played it well.good luck to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 96
Mrs Doyle
September 16, 2017, 4:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
Hated that day at halifax, was the worst atmosphere i've wver been part of. Not just the chants ar hurst but at the players also- players who got us up 3 months later

Toto never forgot that. I too was appalled at the behavior and swearing at the manager and players in their faces.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 96
Mrs Doyle
September 16, 2017, 5:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
Lots of really interesting views and comments most of which are honestly felt and coherently argued.thanks to true blue for one of the better recent threads.
I'm going to make a point I've made before, but hasn't featured in this thread..
First and foremost is to put ourselves in hursts shoes. He had a long career at rovrum, but had never earned enough to be financially secure.he has a wife n family to support ,mortgage n bills to pay, all the normal problems we have to deal with, but he is basically without a career in his early 30s.he pals up with Scott and makes a successful team. Gy come calling and his dream of success and the financial rewards it brings are within his grasp.then scott flecks up and he is left alone for the first time ever.its make or break. He fails at gy and realistically he never gets a pro football job again.fail and he gets sacked; how does he meet the mortgage, pay the bills, put the kids through uni etc? He does exactly what I'd do: he plays the percentage game.ie we have more money than most, we have pro players so basically we should beat most teams especially if we play safe.and so it transpired. Gtfc and hurst played safe, played the percentages and he gained a reputation.fa trophy success every year, play offs guaranteed every year.within a couple of years he is the most employable manager in non league and his future is guaranteed. Then he got a bit of luck and got us promoted and he just took himself to a new level. Good start and then higher league shrews come calling.he is now made for life and good luck to him. The worst that can happen is that he now gets sacked by shrews, gets a three ar contract with a decent league 2 side, based on his old record. Fail again and he will still get a decent conference managers contract..this sport is a game and he's played it well.good luck to him.

Another point worth mentioning his CHAIRMAN stood by him.

That won't get many ticks on here but he gave Hurst a long run and in the end it worked.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 96
Caesar
September 16, 2017, 8:52am

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

That won't get many ticks on here but he gave Hurst a long run and in the end it worked.

I will give it a tick.  It was one of Fenty's best moments for me, not reacting to some fans making knee-jerk emotionally driven reactions (me included) and recognising that a stable playing vision and giving a manger time to put that into practice is the surest way to get us back in the league.  It is why the more recent drastic changes irritate me, I thought we had learned that lesson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 96
chaos33
September 16, 2017, 10:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
You could argue that the 'most recent drastic changes' were forced upon us; Hurst chose to leave for L1, and it all happened very quickly, and Bignot's sacking needed to be done before the mess got worse.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 96
Caesar
September 16, 2017, 11:28am

Fine Wine Drinker
You could, but at the risk of taking this a long way away from the topic though I think it is possibly a stretch to say that they were forced upon him.  What seems to be the case is we didn't do enough to keep Hurst/he wanted more investment in training facilities, and there was doubt about Bignot's "project" but considering his last game was a 3-0 victory over a team promoted (yes I know all the other results btw!)  making us mathematically safe with plenty of time to spare to say it was needed before a mess got worse is a stretch. Besides it is not just at management level we have lost any sense of stability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 96
chaos33
September 16, 2017, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Caesar
You could, but at the risk of taking this a long way away from the topic though I think it is possibly a stretch to say that they were forced upon him.  What seems to be the case is we didn't do enough to keep Hurst/he wanted more investment in training facilities, and there was doubt about Bignot's "project" but considering his last game was a 3-0 victory over a team promoted (yes I know all the other results btw!)  making us mathematically safe with plenty of time to spare to say it was needed before a mess got worse is a stretch. Besides it is not just at management level we have lost any sense of stability.

Can't really agree with any of that. Town would have found it hard to retain Hurst whatever the investment in infrastructure once a L1 opportunity came calling. As far as your Bignot view is concerned, your position seems to be predicated on the basis that the only thing that matters in terms of management is the odd good result, and keeping us safe. If you didn't notice the mess around him, half the terrible results/performances/tactical shambles, and haven't heard the insights people have reported , ie, off the field confusion and concern, you must have had your eyes and ears shut.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 96
grimsby pete
September 16, 2017, 12:05pm

Exile
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Yes and he still had a go at him when he joined Shrewsbury so much for loyalty.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 96
Mrs Doyle
September 16, 2017, 12:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Sadly no loyalty in football anymore Pete.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 96
Bigdog
September 16, 2017, 1:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I read your posts hence my challenge around your constant criticism without offending credible realistic alternatives.

Wanting better is fine and all fans/supporters should feel likewise, I do. However constantly sniping at people that have put their own personal time, money and career into GTFC is hardly aspirational

Kiss and make up and call it a draw?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 16, 2017, 4:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Kiss and make up and call it a draw?

👍

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 96
grimsby pete
September 16, 2017, 6:18pm

Exile
5 points clear after todays win,

Why couldn't Town start a season like that while Hurst was here.?

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 96
Caesar
September 17, 2017, 7:42am

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Can't really agree with any of that. Town would have found it hard to retain Hurst whatever the investment in infrastructure once a L1 opportunity came calling. As far as your Bignot view is concerned, your position seems to be predicated on the basis that the only thing that matters in terms of management is the odd good result, and keeping us safe. If you didn't notice the mess around him, half the terrible results/performances/tactical shambles, and haven't heard the insights people have reported , ie, off the field confusion and concern, you must have had your eyes and ears shut.

I am not sure that Shrewsbury was the most attractive League 1 job as when he went they looked in deep trouble, you could maybe argue it made it a free swing, but I certainly think consensus at the time was it was an odd choice and not default the best option for him, but understand the point that it was pretty much out of our control, I just think we were not completely helpless in that situation.

And my position on Bignot is not that the odd good result matters, I was just making the point we were not in a real mess in the urgent needs replacing or relegation beckons sense.  I feel given the freedom he was in January, sacking him so shortly after is odd at best and creates further instability and turnover of players.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 96
LondonMariner43
September 17, 2017, 8:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
As someone who has managed quite few people over the years, usually it can takes months and years for someone to get to their peak in a new role and you know to give them time and let them learn.  It's better than getting in another newbie who starts all over again.

Sometimes you hire someone who sounded great in interview but once they start you discover they just aren't up to the job. Then you have to make a tough call and replace them quickly before it becomes an issue and before you have wasted your and their time.

Sometimes you can make the wrong call.  Credit to JF with Hurst.  He was still a manager learning his trade and doing one of the toughest jobs in football.

Time will tell if the decision to sack Bignot was right but as a leader in a business you have to make those tough decisions.  It was a brave decision in my view.  If it's gonna be done, best done quickly.  Sometimes things just aren't working out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 96
ginnywings
September 17, 2017, 8:43am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I was never a fan of Hurst because for me, it's manager's like him who make the beautiful game ugly. His must not lose attitude and his love of clean sheets makes for a very dull spectacle. There has to be room in the game for flair and a certain element of the unexpected. Hurst football very rarely will get you out of your seat and send you home buzzing about a game. Some fans are happy enough with that and that's ok, but for me, football isn't solely about results. Hurst struck me as a manager that would be happy with 1 win and 2 draws from 3 games. especially if they were all clean sheets. He would rather win a game 1-0 than 3-2, which statistically is the same, but a whole different world for the fan who craves a bit of excitement.

The last decade, of which Hurst was a significant part, has been mind numbingly dull from a football fan's point of view. Very little to get the pulses racing and i feel a certain unattachment at BP because of it. Give me the philosophy of a Buckley over a Hurst every single time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 96
mariner91
September 17, 2017, 8:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,245
Gold Stars: 253
Yet you were a fan of Bignot but I don't remember the games he was in charge for being exactly riveting, usually just confusing.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2017, 8:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I was never a fan of Hurst because for me, it's manager's like him who make the beautiful game ugly. His must not lose attitude and his love of clean sheets makes for a very dull spectacle. There has to be room in the game for flair and a certain element of the unexpected. Hurst football very rarely will get you out of your seat and send you home buzzing about a game. Some fans are happy enough with that and that's ok, but for me, [/b[b]]football isn't solely about results. Hurst struck me as a manager that would be happy with 1 win and 2 draws from 3 games. especially if they were all clean sheets. He would rather win a game 1-0 than 3-2, which statistically is the same, but a whole different world for the fan who craves a bit of excitement.

The last decade, of which Hurst was a significant part, has been mind numbingly dull from a football fan's point of view. Very little to get the pulses racing and i feel a certain unattachment at BP because of it. Give me the philosophy of a Buckley over a Hurst every single time.

But for PH as a football manager it's all about results. We where a non league side with non league players and arguably not the biggest budget each season what did you expect? I'm not sure flair gets you out of a league with only one automatic spot to be honest.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2017, 9:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Caesar

I am not sure that Shrewsbury was the most attractive League 1 job as when he went they looked in deep trouble, you could maybe argue it made it a free swing, but I certainly think consensus at the time was it was an odd choice and not default the best option for him, but understand the point that it was pretty much out of our control, I just think we were not completely helpless in that situation.

And my position on Bignot is not that the odd good result matters, I was just making the point we were not in a real mess in the urgent needs replacing or relegation beckons sense.  I feel given the freedom he was in January, sacking him so shortly after is odd at best and creates further instability and turnover of players.  

Bignot - Poor performances with the odd decent result, a massive wage bill, player disengagement, no keeper to replace Macca if he was out, the recruitment of a "Head of Recruitment??? who just set out the cones, stupidity in the media, the Doncaster at home selection, calling player out in the press, players not considering extensions/new deals, stupid comments on RH and in the GET..................Not "completely helpless" just completely out of control, he had to go. Any manager that calls his job a "project" usually fails.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 96
September 17, 2017, 9:06am
Guest User
Awesome manager destined for great things

Our loss was your gain
Reply: 65 - 96
ginnywings
September 17, 2017, 9:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from mariner91
Yet you were a fan of Bignot but I don't remember the games he was in charge for being exactly riveting, usually just confusing.

Yeah, i was. Maybe he would have changed things given more time, who knows? At least it was interesting for a while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 96
mariner91
September 17, 2017, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
I'd be willing to bet that Bignot will never get near what Hurst is doing right now. As for interesting, I don't actually think it was that much more interesting on the pitch. In fact some games were terrible, as bad as any we saw under Hurst.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 96
ginnywings
September 17, 2017, 10:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from mariner91
I'd be willing to bet that Bignot will never get near what Hurst is doing right now. As for interesting, I don't actually think it was that much more interesting on the pitch. In fact some games were terrible, as bad as any we saw under Hurst.

I didn't bring Bignot into the conversation, you did. My views on Hurst have no bearing on what Bignot might or might not do, so i don't see the relevance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 96
mariner91
September 17, 2017, 10:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Just find out it bizarre how some of our fans are still adamant that Hurst wasn't particularly good and that they didn't like him but thought that Bignot might have been the answer. the evidence suggests that couldn't be further from the truth.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 96
ginnywings
September 17, 2017, 10:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from mariner91
Just find out it bizarre how some of our fans are still adamant that Hurst wasn't particularly good and that they didn't like him but thought that Bignot might have been the answer. the evidence suggests that couldn't be further from the truth.

I didn't say he wasn't particularly good, just that i didn't like him or his footballing philosophy.

I get it. You think that my views on Bignot are so wrong that my views on anyone else are not to be taken seriously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 96
mariner91
September 17, 2017, 10:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quite the opposite. The fact your analysis of games is usually pretty good in my opinion is why I find it confusing that your views on the two respective managers are so wrong. Again, in my opinion.

I would agree that there wasn't always much flair from Hurst's teams but they were methodical and like Forza summed up well the other day, he played the percentage game knowing he had the quality in the squad that would win through enough times to almost guarantee a play off spot. You could at least see under Hurst that the team was organised, disciplined and had a game plan even if that game plan wasn't always that exciting. It seems to have been airbrushed out of history but nearly every game under Bignot was met my comments about how people still didn't have a clue what the game plan was or how we were meant to be set up. Before a game, you couldn't predict the formation we were going to play let alone who was going to play where. He didn't have a lot of time but 27 games is enough to have a basic format and style of play implemented yet there was no evidence of one. We dodged a bullet in my opinion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 96
chaos33
September 17, 2017, 10:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I Give me the philosophy of a Buckley over a Hurst every single time.

I was just thinking something similar yesterday whilst listening to the radio commentary. A couple of times, when we had the ball in promising positions, Buckley remarked that we needed to get a little ball into the striker's feet through the gaps between defenders, and then get the midfielder to look for a return whilst running on. Classic Buckley model football, a la Tony Rees, Dave Gilbert etc. I thought yeah - this is exactly what is missing from the teams of Slade, Bignot and Hurst. Instead of course, we just hit a hopeful channel ball and the promise comes to nothing more often than not. I too am a believer in this strategy favoured by Buckley and others.

As for Hurst - got to be fair, he's a good manager who looks like he might become very good. Great result for them yesterday too. I just got sick of him really. He finally got us up and that was fantastic, but boy I thought he made hard, boring work of it. I was glad for him and us when he moved on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 96
Bigdog
September 17, 2017, 10:42am
Whiskey Drinker
After all this time, I still can't make up my mind about Bignot. Did we dodge a bullet or would I have liked to see how this season would go with his new summer signings? I don't agree with players running to the chairman especially with contracts up for grabs, but there may have been other background events that made his dismissal academic.

I've read both Ginny's and 91's points of view and find myself agreeing with both..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 96
ginnywings
September 17, 2017, 10:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from mariner91
Quite the opposite. The fact your analysis of games is usually pretty good in my opinion is why I find it confusing that your views on the two respective managers are so wrong. Again, in my opinion.

I would agree that there wasn't always much flair from Hurst's teams but they were methodical and like Forza summed up well the other day, he played the percentage game knowing he had the quality in the squad that would win through enough times to almost guarantee a play off spot. You could at least see under Hurst that the team was organised, disciplined and had a game plan even if that game plan wasn't always that exciting. It seems to have been airbrushed out of history but nearly every game under Bignot was met my comments about how people still didn't have a clue what the game plan was or how we were meant to be set up. Before a game, you couldn't predict the formation we were going to play let alone who was going to play where. He didn't have a lot of time but 27 games is enough to have a basic format and style of play implemented yet there was no evidence of one. We dodged a bullet in my opinion.

But they are not wrong, merely opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 96
mariner91
September 17, 2017, 10:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

But they are not wrong, merely opinion.

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 96
ginnywings
September 17, 2017, 11:01am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from mariner91

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Aye.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 96
friskneymariner
September 17, 2017, 11:05am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
The issue is that the lack of transparency from the club has led to a considerable amount of speculation and nobody knows for sure what the reality is/was.This leads to people adding their own narrative.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 96
A Brace Of Tees
September 17, 2017, 12:06pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
I was never a fan of Hurst because for me, it's manager's like him who make the beautiful game ugly. His must not lose attitude and his love of clean sheets makes for a very dull spectacle. There has to be room in the game for flair and a certain element of the unexpected. Hurst football very rarely will get you out of your seat and send you home buzzing about a game. Some fans are happy enough with that and that's ok, but for me, football isn't solely about results. Hurst struck me as a manager that would be happy with 1 win and 2 draws from 3 games. especially if they were all clean sheets. He would rather win a game 1-0 than 3-2, which statistically is the same, but a whole different world for the fan who craves a bit of excitement.

I know you weren't a fan Ginny but I think you have selective memory.

There were many edge of the seat games and glorious performances - as well as pragmatic grinding out results. But then isn't there exactly that with 95% of all football managers? And I think we sometimes get muddled between a manager's personality and his teams' performances.

Marcus Bignot has one of the most sunny, charismatic personalities we've ever had at Blundell Park, but the dross served up by his teams was quite comfortably some of the worst football I've seen as a fan over 50 years. And yes, your good friend Paul Hurst was dour, but let's not forget beating Stevenage 5-2 in our first couple of months back in the football league, or beating Halifax 7-0, or Gateshead 6-1 away, or the play-off final itself which, given the nervousness of the occasion saw Town NOT dig their heels in at 2-1, but take the game by the throat, culminating in Nathan Arnold getting Town's third goal. And there were many more...

And it's also grossly unfair to compare him with Buckley as that was a different era when players' contracts were more permanent and we didn't have to chop and change the squad every season. So Buckley had the luxury of bedding in players and keeping the nucleus of the team over several seasons. Given that players these days sodomist off as soon as a new nightclub opens in a different town, it's remarkable that Hurst was able to keep finding gems on a regular basis.

So I look at our current situation and I will always support Town through thick and thin, good managers and bad, but history will judge Paul Hurst favourably during his time here, and it might not be too long Ginny before you are wishing he was still in charge.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2017, 12:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I think some supporters need to understand that most teams at our level and below do not play Buckley style football.

The Hurst style actually worked to our advantage as once that tw@t Scott left we became possibly the best "away team" consistently in that league for 3 seasons.

With teams coming to BP on a week in week out basis just concerned with stopping us playing rather than beating us the home form suffered and made the need to be solid and edge wins away more relevant.

Though at times I agree it was not pretty whilst battling against the 1 year deal culture that now exists he built a squad with good fitness, work ethic, morale and team spirit which was destroyed pretty quickly by that clown Bignot who was possibly one of the most insincere and careless managers we have ever had.

I find it odd that people have a pop at Hurst now he has gone when to a man none of them where moaning about him when Nathan banged in the 3rd at Wembley, fickle or hypocritical? I often wonder?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 96
Rodley Mariner
September 17, 2017, 1:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
If this board had been about in 1988 then half the posters on here would've been demanding Buckley was sacked two months into his first spell with us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 96
psgmariner
September 17, 2017, 1:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I find it odd that people have a pop at Hurst now he has gone when to a man none of them where moaning about him when Nathan banged in the 3rd at Wembley, fickle or hypocritical?  

I don't find that odd at all.

Private Message
Reply: 81 - 96
KingstonMariner
September 17, 2017, 1:33pm
Meths Drinker
Oh come off it Herts! If people who didn't rate Hurst had not celebrated that goal and that win they'd be accused of wishing Town to fail simply to prove their point.

We all support Town. So regardless of our opinion of any manager or player (or non-Chairman for that matter) we want Town to succeed and there is nothing hypocritical or fickle in enjoying good days.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2017, 1:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Oh come off it Herts! If people who didn't rate Hurst had not celebrated that goal and that win they'd be accused of wishing Town to fail simply to prove their point.

We all support Town. So regardless of our opinion of any manager or player (or non-Chairman for that matter) we want Town to succeed and there is nothing hypocritical or fickle in enjoying good days.

I just find it amazingly funny that experts who post on message boards "don't rate" a manager that has won 3 promotions at his last 3 clubs, saved a doomed club at a higher level than he has managed previously and is currently the manager of  one of only 2 unbeaten sides in the EFL and top of their league.........clearly he's not good enough.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 96
somersetmariner
September 17, 2017, 2:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Christ on a bike Herts, people are saying perhaps Hurstss and GTFC's time had run it's course, not that he was a excrement manager. It has been stated that his style of play was a bit boring and negative to watch and i think most fans agree with that.

As for experts on a message board!!! ?

We're all fans and we all have opinions

Get off your high horse.

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2017, 2:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from somersetmariner
Christ on a bike Herts, people are saying perhaps Hurstss and GTFC's time had run it's course, not that he was a excrement manager. It has been stated that his style of play was a bit boring and negative to watch and i think most fans agree with that.

As for experts on a message board!!! ?

We're all fans and we all have opinions

Get off your high horse.

"We're all fans and we all have opinions"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 96
Vance Warner
September 17, 2017, 3:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
If this board had been about in 1988 then half the posters on here would've been demanding Buckley was sacked two months into his first spell with us.

Funnily enough despite 3 promotions Buckley never won a championship which is what some people on here have criticised Hurst for. Like Hurst, Buckley was slagged off for his lack of PR skills and predictable football. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but the criticism of Hurst went way over the top IMO. 'Born loser' was one of the quotes that springs to mind. I'd like to think some 'fans' will have learnt a lesson from it but won't hold my breath.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 96
Mrs Doyle
September 17, 2017, 3:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
The football AWAY from home (Halifax aside) was pretty good hence the big turnouts. we gained a envied reputation and even the average at B.P. was on the up.

If that's an indicator of a managers success Hurst must have been doing something right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 96
Grim74
September 17, 2017, 3:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
But his football style was excruciatingly boring, many times I left well before the final whistle even when we were winning.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 96
Gaffer58
September 17, 2017, 3:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
At the end of the day players,managers even majority shareholders come and go but, fans will always be there, some on here will even admit to have been going for 50 plus years. So all we can hope for is that we have more ups than downs because you can guarantee there will be both along he way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 96
KingstonMariner
September 17, 2017, 4:21pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I just find it amazingly funny that experts who post on message boards "don't rate" a manager that has won 3 promotions at his last 3 clubs, saved a doomed club at a higher level than he has managed previously and is currently the manager of  one of only 2 unbeaten sides in the EFL and top of their league.........clearly he's not good enough.  

'Don't rate' was probably a bit of an over-emphasis. No one is saying he's rubbish. We have our different opinions on Hurst as a manager and it's been done to death in the past. But my main point was that it is not hypocritical to cheer a goal and a victory in those circumstances. Even if their opinion of Hurst or whoever was wrong. Why is it hypocritical? How could you think so?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 96
horsforthmariner
September 17, 2017, 4:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
I respect Hurst, but unlike Buckley (the other "successful manager") in the 30 odd years of supporting this club I don't really like him.

Shrewsbury have probably got a better manager than we had. He was relatively inexperienced when he came here and he made a number of really bad decisions when he was here.

He underplayed Bogle (and overplayed Monkhouse) in our promotion season, he made that Parslow sub against Chester,  Signed Brodie. He was stubborn and overly defensive and quite often his plan b was just more plan A. Our football was dull and quite formulaic  He was dreadful with PR and almost went out of his way to antagonise fans (i notice he now seems to be going out of his way to praise the Shrewsbury fans).

Having said that he made us much more professional, consistently signed good players and we actually didn't concede many "sloppy goals".

But I do think we got lucky in our promotion season. It was the weakest league we played in and we almost fell over the line (we actually were a better team the season before and only a bad start robbed us of the title)

I think fans got on his back in that final season mainly because a) We were in non league which was always completely and utterly unacceptable for a club. b) we seemed to be following the first two play off seasons that followed a very similar pattern of badly falling away in the final 2-3 months of the season, stumbling into the play offs and then getting knocked out by a pretty garbage team.( To Hurst's eternal credit he learnt from previous semi final mistakes and mixed it up for Braintree away and played a much more attacking line up.) C) He just continued to be obnoxious towards fans(you reap what you sow)

Im glad to here the ex town players are doing well. Nolan was class when he was here . Suprised the other have stepped up so well to be honest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 96
PPMariner
September 17, 2017, 5:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from HertsGTFC

"We're all fans and we all have opinions"

Gets a bit messy when your opinion is that, by merely posting their own opinions, other posters are purporting to be experts; with nonetheless laughable opinions...

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2017, 5:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

'Don't rate' was probably a bit of an over-emphasis. No one is saying he's rubbish. We have our different opinions on Hurst as a manager and it's been done to death in the past. But my main point was that it is not hypocritical to cheer a goal and a victory in those circumstances. Even if their opinion of Hurst or whoever was wrong. Why is it hypocritical? How could you think so?

Kingston some have said he "was a poor manager" and similar on previous threads which would suggest they thought he was rubbish or something similar at least. Like I say I am not sure if it's fickle or hypocritical but I like most football fans would categorize myself as fickle but if you look at the bigger picture we where one penalty and one shocking refereeing decision away from going up the previous season he did a decent job here.

I was having a good conversation with a few lads at the game yesterday and we all agreed that PH was ever comfortable with the media and persona stuff and unlike a lot of fans did not see it as important. I think some saw this as him sticking 2 fingers up to the fans but I don't think he meant that to be the case or at least I would like to think he did not mean it. After games he was usually pretty much complimentary about the fans especially away. I know the cupping the ear thing at Wembley p1ssed a few off but players do it all the time and Omar even did it to the FGR fans in the same game, after the sh1 he got at Halifax part of me thinks Hurst chose his moment well to give it back to the doubters.  

Why I mention the paragraph above is that some prefer to talk about that kind of thing rather than the fact he got us up, signed some good players, made us as professional as we could be under the funding he received and fostered an excellent team spirit.

My dad was part of that conversation yesterday and mention quite rightly that Buckley at times could be prickly and often appear quite rude but similar to what Hurst appears to be he is a man of principle who adopts a style he is comfortable with and believes will deliver the most success at that particular time.

My dad also pointed out that you never really got to know managers "in his day" so maybe the media stuff is not that important or at least not as important as the Marcus Bignot's of this world believe it is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 96
chaos33
September 17, 2017, 6:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I respect Hurst, but unlike Buckley (the other "successful manager") in the 30 odd years of supporting this club I don't really like him.

Shrewsbury have probably got a better manager than we had. He was relatively inexperienced when he came here and he made a number of really bad decisions when he was here.

He underplayed Bogle (and overplayed Monkhouse) in our promotion season, he made that Parslow sub against Chester,  Signed Brodie. He was stubborn and overly defensive and quite often his plan b was just more plan A. Our football was dull and quite formulaic  He was dreadful with PR and almost went out of his way to antagonise fans (i notice he now seems to be going out of his way to praise the Shrewsbury fans).

Having said that he made us much more professional, consistently signed good players and we actually didn't concede many "sloppy goals".

But I do think we got lucky in our promotion season. It was the weakest league we played in and we almost fell over the line (we actually were a better team the season before and only a bad start robbed us of the title)

I think fans got on his back in that final season mainly because a) We were in non league which was always completely and utterly unacceptable for a club. b) we seemed to be following the first two play off seasons that followed a very similar pattern of badly falling away in the final 2-3 months of the season, stumbling into the play offs and then getting knocked out by a pretty garbage team.( To Hurst's eternal credit he learnt from previous semi final mistakes and mixed it up for Braintree away and played a much more attacking line up.) C) He just continued to be obnoxious towards fans(you reap what you sow)

Im glad to here the ex town players are doing well. Nolan was class when he was here . Suprised the other have stepped up so well to be honest.

In the interests of accuracy, let me tell you that Brodie was definitely a Rob Scott signing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 96
HackneyHaddock
September 17, 2017, 6:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Pointless thread.  Might as well have one on Nicky Law or Dave Booth or Lennie Lawrence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 96
lobsterpot
September 18, 2017, 6:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Having just got home from a 3 day non stop bender ( use that quote as you will gents ) and still feeling a tad delicate, i could only be arsed to read the 1st and last page of this thread as it has turned into yet another pro/anti pro Hurst debate. Instead i prefer to bite to the original OP and get back on track....all of our ex players who now play for you are absolutely world class now.  Please let me know if you have any other players in your squad and if they contribute anything to you team? Maybe the odd sub appearance maybe? Or is it just our 5 ex players that get in your team VS an 11 of the opo? Oh yeah i forgot to mention that all your ex players that play for us are utter dogger but im sure they were awesome when they pulled on your jersey. Yet another small time team who bore me with a bankfest when theyre doing ok once in a blue moon. Didnt Grant Holt play for you for about 2 seasons so you had a massive legend banner up at the back of your home end like he was Gianluigi Buffon or similar? Surely youve got more history than that? In closing, under Hurst we were top; of the league 1 xmas but we were all naughty boys and Santa didnt deliver that year......

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 96
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrews Fan In Peace

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.