10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
September 17, 2017, 8:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,941
Gold Stars: 64
As someone who has managed quite few people over the years, usually it can takes months and years for someone to get to their peak in a new role and you know to give them time and let them learn.  It's better than getting in another newbie who starts all over again.

Sometimes you hire someone who sounded great in interview but once they start you discover they just aren't up to the job. Then you have to make a tough call and replace them quickly before it becomes an issue and before you have wasted your and their time.

Sometimes you can make the wrong call.  Credit to JF with Hurst.  He was still a manager learning his trade and doing one of the toughest jobs in football.

Time will tell if the decision to sack Bignot was right but as a leader in a business you have to make those tough decisions.  It was a brave decision in my view.  If it's gonna be done, best done quickly.  Sometimes things just aren't working out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 96
ginnywings
September 17, 2017, 8:43am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I was never a fan of Hurst because for me, it's manager's like him who make the beautiful game ugly. His must not lose attitude and his love of clean sheets makes for a very dull spectacle. There has to be room in the game for flair and a certain element of the unexpected. Hurst football very rarely will get you out of your seat and send you home buzzing about a game. Some fans are happy enough with that and that's ok, but for me, football isn't solely about results. Hurst struck me as a manager that would be happy with 1 win and 2 draws from 3 games. especially if they were all clean sheets. He would rather win a game 1-0 than 3-2, which statistically is the same, but a whole different world for the fan who craves a bit of excitement.

The last decade, of which Hurst was a significant part, has been mind numbingly dull from a football fan's point of view. Very little to get the pulses racing and i feel a certain unattachment at BP because of it. Give me the philosophy of a Buckley over a Hurst every single time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 96
mariner91
September 17, 2017, 8:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,585
Gold Stars: 260
Yet you were a fan of Bignot but I don't remember the games he was in charge for being exactly riveting, usually just confusing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2017, 8:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
I was never a fan of Hurst because for me, it's manager's like him who make the beautiful game ugly. His must not lose attitude and his love of clean sheets makes for a very dull spectacle. There has to be room in the game for flair and a certain element of the unexpected. Hurst football very rarely will get you out of your seat and send you home buzzing about a game. Some fans are happy enough with that and that's ok, but for me, [/b[b]]football isn't solely about results. Hurst struck me as a manager that would be happy with 1 win and 2 draws from 3 games. especially if they were all clean sheets. He would rather win a game 1-0 than 3-2, which statistically is the same, but a whole different world for the fan who craves a bit of excitement.

The last decade, of which Hurst was a significant part, has been mind numbingly dull from a football fan's point of view. Very little to get the pulses racing and i feel a certain unattachment at BP because of it. Give me the philosophy of a Buckley over a Hurst every single time.

But for PH as a football manager it's all about results. We where a non league side with non league players and arguably not the biggest budget each season what did you expect? I'm not sure flair gets you out of a league with only one automatic spot to be honest.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2017, 9:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Caesar

I am not sure that Shrewsbury was the most attractive League 1 job as when he went they looked in deep trouble, you could maybe argue it made it a free swing, but I certainly think consensus at the time was it was an odd choice and not default the best option for him, but understand the point that it was pretty much out of our control, I just think we were not completely helpless in that situation.

And my position on Bignot is not that the odd good result matters, I was just making the point we were not in a real mess in the urgent needs replacing or relegation beckons sense.  I feel given the freedom he was in January, sacking him so shortly after is odd at best and creates further instability and turnover of players.  

Bignot - Poor performances with the odd decent result, a massive wage bill, player disengagement, no keeper to replace Macca if he was out, the recruitment of a "Head of Recruitment??? who just set out the cones, stupidity in the media, the Doncaster at home selection, calling player out in the press, players not considering extensions/new deals, stupid comments on RH and in the GET..................Not "completely helpless" just completely out of control, he had to go. Any manager that calls his job a "project" usually fails.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 96
September 17, 2017, 9:06am
Guest User
Awesome manager destined for great things

Our loss was your gain
Reply: 65 - 96
ginnywings
September 17, 2017, 9:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from mariner91
Yet you were a fan of Bignot but I don't remember the games he was in charge for being exactly riveting, usually just confusing.

Yeah, i was. Maybe he would have changed things given more time, who knows? At least it was interesting for a while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 96
mariner91
September 17, 2017, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
I'd be willing to bet that Bignot will never get near what Hurst is doing right now. As for interesting, I don't actually think it was that much more interesting on the pitch. In fact some games were terrible, as bad as any we saw under Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 96
ginnywings
September 17, 2017, 10:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from mariner91
I'd be willing to bet that Bignot will never get near what Hurst is doing right now. As for interesting, I don't actually think it was that much more interesting on the pitch. In fact some games were terrible, as bad as any we saw under Hurst.

I didn't bring Bignot into the conversation, you did. My views on Hurst have no bearing on what Bignot might or might not do, so i don't see the relevance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 96
mariner91
September 17, 2017, 10:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Just find out it bizarre how some of our fans are still adamant that Hurst wasn't particularly good and that they didn't like him but thought that Bignot might have been the answer. the evidence suggests that couldn't be further from the truth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrews Fan In Peace

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.