Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back

This thread currently has 14,823 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 26, 2024, 9:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,280
Gold Stars: 306
For me there are some key differences that make up a decent side at this level and a bit of cash can make the difference:

1. A couple of decent strikers
2. A couple of standout players in other departments
3. The rest of the team being solid and dependable
4. Being well organised, doing what you're told to do on the pitch with a decent level of efficiency

You are almost always one injury away from a dip in form if that injury is one of your better players.

We struggle to meet any of the 4 criteria above. We seem to be getting close to no.4 and are halfway there with No.1

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 169
diehardmariner
March 26, 2024, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
I think that's a good summary really of our current position.

I think we've got potential and a good grounding, one that really shouldn't see us in this current predicament.  But we're incredibly fragile at the same time.  Too many positions where an injury leaves us buggered.

Our goals for (49) is really urine poor but isn't a reflection at all of the quality we have on offer up top.  I maintain that 95% of sides at this level would love a Danny Rose in their set-up, we're very fortunate to have him.  Equally so I think Wilson has shown, especially in recent weeks, that he's more than capable of starting games and is much more than someone to bring on for the last 20.  As third choice, Pyke isn't the worst. Add Obikwu to that mix and it really shouldn't be that bad at all.

At the back I think now we've added Tharme the blend is much better.  He's the solid one to the more expressive styles of Rodgers, Mullarkey and if he returns Maher.  It's not perfect but it's not dreadful.  Wingback wise I'm very comfortable with Clifton and Hume, would also be so if they slotted in as fullbacks in a back four.    Cover wise I'm a bit less comfortable.  Glennon too hit and miss on the left and Mullarkey looks less and less a fullback every time I see him there, especially compared to his performances inside.

But it's the midfield that really does us in.  You essentially want two things from your midfield. 1) Protect your defence and 2) provide for your attack.  For the vast majority of our season we've done neither.  Thompson does offer a better screening job than we've had for a long time.  The fireman analogy that Artell used for him is a very good one.  But he is limited with that, both in terms of mobility and also the frailties he has in front of him.  Green summed himself up perfectly on Saturday when he won possession, gave it away, won it back and then ended up slicing the ball out of play.  That doesn't just sum him up it sums the whole middle of the park for us, we're on a hiding to nothing and with all the huffing and puffing in the world, we ultimately surrender possession and get overrun.  There's not enough in there to dominate games, be it from an attacking or defensive perspective.  Creatively our midfield has offered nothing all season.  Eisa has chipped in with a few goals but you take that away and he literally gives you nothing at all. It's great if he's scoring every other week but when he isn't it's like having ten men because he can't/won't help out his defenders.  Holohan, who I think we look better with, is a less intense version of Green.  The good work he does is soon undone by himself.  Andrews, meh. Honestly I'd rather see Braithwaite getting time on the pitch than him, same for Wood.  We're developing kids for someone else and not really getting a lot in return for it.  I think Wood has got technical ability but far too wet behind the ears for what we need here and now.

As a best eleven, I don't think we're that far away from a more than ok side.  You add a very good creative midfielder in there who can dictate and influence play (think Jon Nolan levels of impact when he came here) and it changes everything.  We've got someone who can make things happen but the opposition have to think about it too.   But in terms of depth, lot more to do I'm afraid.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 169
lew chaterleys lover
March 26, 2024, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think that's a good summary really of our current position.

I think we've got potential and a good grounding, one that really shouldn't see us in this current predicament.  But we're incredibly fragile at the same time.  Too many positions where an injury leaves us buggered.

Our goals for (49) is really urine poor but isn't a reflection at all of the quality we have on offer up top.  I maintain that 95% of sides at this level would love a Danny Rose in their set-up, we're very fortunate to have him.  Equally so I think Wilson has shown, especially in recent weeks, that he's more than capable of starting games and is much more than someone to bring on for the last 20.  As third choice, Pyke isn't the worst. Add Obikwu to that mix and it really shouldn't be that bad at all.

At the back I think now we've added Tharme the blend is much better.  He's the solid one to the more expressive styles of Rodgers, Mullarkey and if he returns Maher.  It's not perfect but it's not dreadful.  Wingback wise I'm very comfortable with Clifton and Hume, would also be so if they slotted in as fullbacks in a back four.    Cover wise I'm a bit less comfortable.  Glennon too hit and miss on the left and Mullarkey looks less and less a fullback every time I see him there, especially compared to his performances inside.

But it's the midfield that really does us in.  You essentially want two things from your midfield. 1) Protect your defence and 2) provide for your attack.  For the vast majority of our season we've done neither.  Thompson does offer a better screening job than we've had for a long time.  The fireman analogy that Artell used for him is a very good one.  But he is limited with that, both in terms of mobility and also the frailties he has in front of him.  Green summed himself up perfectly on Saturday when he won possession, gave it away, won it back and then ended up slicing the ball out of play.  That doesn't just sum him up it sums the whole middle of the park for us, we're on a hiding to nothing and with all the huffing and puffing in the world, we ultimately surrender possession and get overrun.  There's not enough in there to dominate games, be it from an attacking or defensive perspective.  Creatively our midfield has offered nothing all season.  Eisa has chipped in with a few goals but you take that away and he literally gives you nothing at all. It's great if he's scoring every other week but when he isn't it's like having ten men because he can't/won't help out his defenders.  Holohan, who I think we look better with, is a less intense version of Green.  The good work he does is soon undone by himself.  Andrews, meh. Honestly I'd rather see Braithwaite getting time on the pitch than him, same for Wood.  We're developing kids for someone else and not really getting a lot in return for it.  I think Wood has got technical ability but far too wet behind the ears for what we need here and now.

As a best eleven, I don't think we're that far away from a more than ok side.  You add a very good creative midfielder in there who can dictate and influence play (think Jon Nolan levels of impact when he came here) and it changes everything.  We've got someone who can make things happen but the opposition have to think about it too.   But in terms of depth, lot more to do I'm afraid.

I think you are being a bit generous. We are 4th bottom for the simple reason we are not very good and most of our players wouldn't get in any other team.

We need major upgrades in all positions bar Rose to even threaten  the top half.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 169
louth_in_the_south
March 26, 2024, 10:47am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 96
Spot on Lew .. might sound harsh on players but we’re 4th bottom for a reason, and only out the bottom 2 because we’ve luckily had 2 teams who are even worse. Absolutely terrible recruitment last summer and players who should’ve been moved on . I’d hope to see the vast majority go . And the manager tbh .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 169
DB
March 26, 2024, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,029
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Spot on Lew .. might sound harsh on players but we’re 4th bottom for a reason, and only out the bottom 2 because we’ve luckily had 2 teams who are even worse. I’d hope to see the vast majority go . And the manager tbh .

I agree with you and recall JS said something like 'They'll get the brush out at the end of the season'. Hopefully, we'll survive in L2 so let's hope we have a rebuild with promotion in mind.

Goals and winning at home will bring the fans in as will signing quality players help ST sales.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 169
Maringer
March 26, 2024, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Pace, pace, pace, pace. We have absolutely none in the squad.

Who is our fastest player? Clifton, perhaps, though he isn't exactly lightning quick? Obikwu when he gets up a head of steam, maybe?

The lack of pace was almost embarrassing for their second goal on Saturday as several of our players were left floundering as several of their players ran away from us.

We don't necessarily need a headless chicken to kick and run after the ball, just somebody who is quick enough over a few yards to reach balls that most players wouldn't get to, whether up front, in midfield or defence (and preferably, all three).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 169
TownSNAFU5
March 26, 2024, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Yes, Clifton even lacks any pace.  Or the ability to take a man on successfully.

Pace.  Yes.  Wrexham killed us with pace for their 2nd goal.  

Pace. Teams higher up the leagues have pace in many positions.  This will filter down the leagues over time.

In midfield I also want to see tackles going in to regain possession.

Play to our strengths (well what we have):   Put players in their best positions.

Our build-ups are so slow and predictable.  Defences (even poor ones) have time to re-group.  We need to catch them unprepared,giving them more to think about.

Strength: We need players who are physically stronger and can put a foot in. Too passive against Wrexham for their first 2 goals. Players should be mentally stronger as well.  Fight harder if we go a goal down.

Players with more skill who can pass accurately and move. This all takes money and a good eye for a player.  And attracting them to Grimsby.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 169
DB
March 26, 2024, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,029
Gold Stars: 388
All this pace business was evident in the opening game with the Dons. Hurst did tell us that with the new equipment at Cheapside and the new training regime our team would be strong in this dept.

Unfortunately, the lack of pace has been evident most of the season

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 169
toontown
March 26, 2024, 1:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70

I think you are being a bit generous. We are 4th bottom for the simple reason we are not very good and most of our players wouldn't get in any other team.

We need major upgrades in all positions bar Rose to even threaten  the top half.

Yeah I was gonna say this - way too generous to both attack and defence. Wilson has shown glimpses nothing more, Pyke has shown he isn't a striker at league level and should never be being used there except as an emergency, not as much as a 3rd choice would be that's for sure.

In defence you've got players looking ok when we play a back 5, not a back 4 or a back 3 with wing backs, we've mostly played a back 5 when we've looked ok there. That isnt sustainable. It's what we need right now to grind out survival but you can't play a back 5 next year. Mullarkey is miles off it as FB, Glennon great going forward but a massive liability defensively, Maher and Rodgers not good enough in a back 4.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 169
diehardmariner
March 26, 2024, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Wilson has a goal every 1.62 games in the league.  That's exactly the same return from minutes per goal that the leagues top scorer, Macualay Langstaff, has.  Yes Langstaff has done it over a more sustained and consistent period but he's done it with a better supply line and consistently in the starting line-up, Wilson's season is very in-and-out of the team.

Am I saying Wilson is as good as Langstaff? No.  But I'm saying considering he's probably our second striker, that's not the area of biggest concern for me.  He and Rose are absolutely fine.  But if we could upgrade I'm all in for that.  Same as the defence, which has shown in the last month that it can shut up shop and keep sides out, again I'm not saying we shouldn't look to upgrade because we definitely need to.  

Front and back of our team needs remedial work.  The midfield needs a complete overhaul.  The point I was making is that at any point this season we could have brought in wholesale change in defence and attack (in fact we did in defence at one bit!) yet the problems wouldn't disappear because the midfield is so poor.
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 169
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.