Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 43 Guests

Just Back

This thread currently has 14,997 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
March 24, 2024, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Hagrid

A standard league 2 goalkeeper saves both of them.

Absolute nonsense as regards the second goal. Really well hit, close in, unimpeded shot and the angle wasn't that tight. Little chance for any keeper if it is hit as well as that and is on target.

I can't understand why the defender in the centre didn't go across to him as he ran through. Not sure who it was, but he stayed in the middle which was a terrible decision.

Utilmately, the difference between the two teams is pretty clear just from looking at the starting striker partnerships. Both Palmer and Mullin are hugely experienced, each having played hundreds of league games. Wilson has played not far off a hundred (which surprised me a little), but is in his highest-scoring season in the league. That's with 5 goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 169
toontown
March 24, 2024, 6:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
I thought we had some particularly poor performances yesterday, Cartwright obviously but also it was tharmes worse game in a town shirt, terrible clearance giving the opportunity for the second goal and continually giving the ball away when attempting long passes upfield. Even his long throws were worse than normal although that might have been just good defending from Wrexham.

Hume was poor as well, holohan and green were anonymous and Wilson and obikwu offered nothing at all albeit they were feeding on scraps. Thompson motm for me and the subs improved us a bit bar Pyke but Wrexham were in cruise control by then anyway.

Wrexham barely had to get in 2nd gear to beat us.

I can't believe some people want Cartwright to stay next year, he's an adequate back up keeper I.e. emergency option and that's it. Eastwood isn't even that really but we are stuck with him for another year so we need a proper GK bringing in in the summer. In time cartwright will be good but that's in a few years and he isn't even our player anyway so we'd be accepting current mediocrity to improve another teams player.

We really missed rose today although I can't see it wouldve changed the ultimate outcome of the match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 169
friskneymariner
March 24, 2024, 7:00pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,154
Gold Stars: 38
Makes you wonder what Hurst saw in Eastwood,Vernham and Hunt to give them such long contract,whilst he would not give Crocombe a 2 year one,that decision may come back to bite us,

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 169
Heisenberg
March 24, 2024, 7:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from friskneymariner
Makes you wonder what Hurst saw in Eastwood,Vernham and Hunt to give them such long contract,whilst he would not give Crocombe a 2 year one,that decision may come back to bite us,

There’s a chance we’ll see Crocombe back at BP next season……playing L2 football with Burton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 169
RonMariner
March 24, 2024, 7:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
We are reliant on a young kid in goal because the other keeper is very poor indeed. I have no doubt that Hursts management of that position has cost us several points this season. Letting Max go and replacing him with these two was definitely a mistake.  It’s unfair on Cartwright to expect him to be the consistent finished article with effectively no capable backup.

The other disastrous mistake was letting Orsi go. He is on course to score 20 goals this season. I am pretty sure we would have a few more points with him in the squad too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 169
Chrisblor
March 24, 2024, 7:48pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,960
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Maringer

Absolute nonsense as regards the second goal. Really well hit, close in, unimpeded shot and the angle wasn't that tight. Little chance for any keeper if it is hit as well as that and is on target.

Absolute nonsense, it goes through his hands:

Of course the outfield players shouldn't be scythed through on the counter like they were, but a league two standard keeper has to be saving a shot like that.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 169
Maringer
March 24, 2024, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Looks an easy save in slow motion, but they always do. It was hit very cleanly and very accurately with no defenders anywhere close enough to have any sort of an impact. You often see  shots like this go straight through the keeper's hands. David Seaman used to be especially partial to them, I seem to recall. I suspect the keepers train to keep their bodies a bit lower with their arms out to reduce the amount of goal on view but a cleanly-struck shot above their heads doesn't give the time to react. They would probably concede more standing up to the shot as most are hit low from that sort of an angle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 8:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Chrisblor

Of course the outfield players shouldn't be scythed through on the counter like they were, but a league two standard keeper has to be saving a shot like that.

Agree completely, word on the street is that Max’s agent had courted longer term offers/ much better wage PE before the end of last season. We could match one element appropriately but not both.

Harvey shouldn’t be learning his trade at this level with a club in jeopardy of relegation, not his fault and I doubt he was brought here to be the number one.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 169
Northbank Mariner
March 24, 2024, 8:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Chrisblor

I said at that time you could see where that ball was aimed and a more experienced keeper runs out to close the gap, then makes himself big, something Peter Schmeichel was an absolute master at
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 169
chaos33
March 24, 2024, 8:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from toontown
I thought we had some particularly poor performances yesterday, Cartwright obviously but also it was tharmes worse game in a town shirt, terrible clearance giving the opportunity for the second goal and continually giving the ball away when attempting long passes upfield. Even his long throws were worse than normal although that might have been just good defending from Wrexham.

Hume was poor as well, holohan and green were anonymous and Wilson and obikwu offered nothing at all albeit they were feeding on scraps. Thompson motm for me and the subs improved us a bit bar Pyke but Wrexham were in cruise control by then anyway.

Wrexham barely had to get in 2nd gear to beat us.

I can't believe some people want Cartwright to stay next year, he's an adequate back up keeper I.e. emergency option and that's it. Eastwood isn't even that really but we are stuck with him for another year so we need a proper GK bringing in in the summer. In time cartwright will be good but that's in a few years and he isn't even our player anyway so we'd be accepting current mediocrity to improve another teams player.

We really missed rose today although I can't see it wouldve changed the ultimate outcome of the match.

Agree with all that, up to the points about the keepers.
Not at all sure what to conclude about their relative merits.
We were poor defensively and our retention/use of the ball was dreadful. Really, really poor. Way bigger issues than the keeper position in my view.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 169
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.