17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
March 26, 2024, 3:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
I'm still not entirely convinced by Wilson as there have been some appearances where he was practically invisible, but I have to admit that he's done well to score as many as he has in spite of some pretty terrible service at times.

I think it's the fact that he's not an all-action striker like Rose and isn't as much of a handful unless the ball is played straight into his feet. He doesn't have the movement to cause the same problems as Rose but can be good at holding off the challenge of bigger defenders if the ball is played straight to him - a pity that the accuracy of our passing is so poor!

With more runners from midfield and some better delivery into the box, I suppose he could well score more goals, but we can't ignore the fact that his return of 5 goals this season is the best he's managed in League football (he has averaged a goal every 6 games in the Football League) and he's not exactly a young up and comer at the age of 27. It will be interesting to see if he does stay this summer, especially as he was apparently set to leave in January.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 169
diehardmariner
March 26, 2024, 3:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
I've felt the same way about Wilson at times and until very recent games felt he's only best utilised as an impact sub.  But then we've seen him used as more of a target man than someone to play off another, which I think most of us felt was his game.  I also get the lack of buzz around his history too, it isn't a record you look at and feel inspired by. I don't know enough about what happened at Sutton, but I do remember that a few of their fans said he just didn't get chance to be effective because whenever he played the balls just went long and over his head.  

The biggest issue up front all season is that we've tried to use Danny Rose as both the No 9 and the No 10 at the same time.  He's good enough to play both roles, but he can't do them both together.  Wilson as the 9 and Rose as the 10 and I think we see a far, far better (yet still lacking support from midfield) output in attack.

That wouldn't he much of a deviation from the games Wilson and Rose started together of late (FGR and AFC Wimbledon) but on both those occasions Rose was very, very deep to help out the midfield.

For what it's worth I don't think he'll stay here.  I think we'll lose him in the summer and I don't think Artell will fight to keep him really.  But I also think he'll go onto to do a very decent job for another club at this level, hopefully we'll get someone else in who can do an even better job in a Town shirt.
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 169
TownSNAFU5
March 26, 2024, 4:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
A minor random point from Sat.  It was very windy - nothing new there.   But I have never seen the ball appear to go out of play so many times (%%for a throw) and then stay in play.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 169
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 26, 2024, 7:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,692
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
A minor random point from Sat.  It was very windy - nothing new there.   But I have never seen the ball appear to go out of play so many times (%%for a throw) and then stay in play.  

Not helped by the fact that we must be the worst team for retaining the ball from our throw ins in history. We are absolutely abysmal and there is never any movement from players showing for the ball and we don’t even use the tactic of throwing it down the line to get the opposition to put it out again so we can move forward territorially.

Something that’s been amiss under most of our recent managers and surely it’s an area that could be much improved through giving this increased attention at training.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 169
louth_in_the_south
March 26, 2024, 7:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,681
Gold Stars: 96
I saw far more in Orsi than I have in Wilson this year. Hes got a few goals but although he took his goal well at Gills he offered nothing else . At least Orsi would put himself about non stop . I don’t see any reason why we’d really want to keep Wilson and don’t see him being a success next season unlike Orsi has been this year for Crawley

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 169
RonMariner
March 26, 2024, 8:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,692
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I saw far more in Orsi than I have in Wilson this year. Hes got a few goals but although he took his goal well at Gills he offered nothing else . At least Orsi would put himself about non stop . I don’t see any reason why we’d really want to keep Wilson and don’t see him being a success next season unlike Orsi has been this year for Crawley

Getting rid of Orsi was foolish. He is a 20 goal a season level striker at this level. How we could have done with him this season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 169
Heisenberg
March 26, 2024, 8:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from RonMariner

Getting rid of Orsi was foolish. He is a 20 goal a season level striker at this level. How we could have done with him this season.

I liked Orsi and wanted him to stay, but nobody knew he was a 20 goal a season man. Not you, not anyone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2024, 8:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,933
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Heisenberg

I liked Orsi and wanted him to stay, but nobody knew he was a 20 goal a season man. Not you, not anyone.

The manager of Crawley seemed to have a good idea.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 169
rancido
March 26, 2024, 8:41pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Heisenberg

PH certainly didn't.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 169
grimsby pete
March 26, 2024, 8:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Orsi. was never given an extended run but when he did play I thought he did well .

He has scored 16 goals up to now so he is on for 20+ by the end of the season.

Hurst always had his favourites sadly Orsi. was not one of them neither was Cook another one I was sad to see leave.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 169
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.