toontown
March 26, 2024, 8:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not helped by the fact that we must be the worst team for retaining the ball from our throw ins in history. We are absolutely abysmal and there is never any movement from players showing for the ball and we don’t even use the tactic of throwing it down the line to get the opposition to put it out again so we can move forward territorially.

Something that’s been amiss under most of our recent managers and surely it’s an area that could be much improved through giving this increased attention at training.

Absolutely this! I've thought it for years how bad we are compared to other teams (bar croppers period obviously!) but esp at the moment. It's so stark how truly bad we are at even doing the basics of throws.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 169
toontown
March 26, 2024, 9:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from diehardmariner
I've felt the same way about Wilson at times and until very recent games felt he's only best utilised as an impact sub.  But then we've seen him used as more of a target man than someone to play off another, which I think most of us felt was his game.  I also get the lack of buzz around his history too, it isn't a record you look at and feel inspired by. I don't know enough about what happened at Sutton, but I do remember that a few of their fans said he just didn't get chance to be effective because whenever he played the balls just went long and over his head.  

The biggest issue up front all season is that we've tried to use Danny Rose as both the No 9 and the No 10 at the same time.  He's good enough to play both roles, but he can't do them both together.  Wilson as the 9 and Rose as the 10 and I think we see a far, far better (yet still lacking support from midfield) output in attack.

That wouldn't he much of a deviation from the games Wilson and Rose started together of late (FGR and AFC Wimbledon) but on both those occasions Rose was very, very deep to help out the midfield.

For what it's worth I don't think he'll stay here.  I think we'll lose him in the summer and I don't think Artell will fight to keep him really.  But I also think he'll go onto to do a very decent job for another club at this level, hopefully we'll get someone else in who can do an even better job in a Town shirt.

Pretty sure he'll go in the summer given Artell was happy for him to leave mid relegation battle when we only had 1 other first team striker who had scored a goal in men's football!

Personally I also think whilst he has looked better recently with all round play there are no signs to me of him and rose building up a partnership. They seem to both be able to play on the pitch at the same time and look to have good enough individual games but without linking up or having any kind of understanding. Personified by the recent game, can't remember which, were the keeper made an error near them both and they actually ran into and fell over reach other rather than actually create a chance out of the situation!

I don't think Wilson is terrible or anything, his goal to minutes ratio is good as you say but to add to the langstaff comparison I don't think notts would have let langstaff walk away from his contract for nowt in Jan - Artell was happy for Wilson to. I just think you're more generous in your opinion than me, you'd be happy with him staying as second choice, I'd be happy with him staying as 3rd choice if we bring in a better proper 2nd choice as a partner for rose.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 169
HerveJosse
March 26, 2024, 9:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
PH decisions to not  play Orsi and let him go and to a lesser degree Manni were shockingly bad when you look at most of the forwards we have brought in instead. I feel our current postion  is more down to very poor signings/ retention and selection   rather than lack of budget. We need to see that change but only Artell is new the rest the back up staff and the transfer guru are unchanged so its far from clear it will .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 169
RonMariner
March 27, 2024, 8:30am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Heisenberg

I liked Orsi and wanted him to stay, but nobody knew he was a 20 goal a season man. Not you, not anyone.

No one has a crystal ball, but I would have thought that part of the job of being a manager is to access the ability of players they see day to day in the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 169
Mappers
March 27, 2024, 8:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from RonMariner

No one has a crystal ball, but I would have thought that part of the job of being a manager is to access the ability of players they see day to day in the squad.

I think most would agree he would at least have been a better 3rd/4th choice striker than someone who although came with decent reviews and a relatively high number of games in league 1 the season previous ; said player had played the previous 2 seasons as a RB/RWB which probably just about summaries some of our bizarre/terrible summer recruitment .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 169
Theimperialcoroner
March 27, 2024, 9:49am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from grimsby pete
Orsi. was never given an extended run but when he did play I thought he did well .

He has scored 16 goals up to now so he is on for 20+ by the end of the season.

Hurst always had his favourites sadly Orsi. was not one of them neither was Cook another one I was sad to see leave.

That was one of PHs down falls always having his favourites. Artell doesn’t seem to be the same, Wilson being a case in point. Do you imagine Hurst would have played him if he nearly left in a transfer window?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 169
acko338
March 27, 2024, 10:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
Sign George Lloyd up when Cheltenham get relegated - grafter, runner, scores a few, harrasses defenders, linked well with Rose last season, good stamina in the no 10 role that has been missing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 169
diehardmariner
March 27, 2024, 10:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Heisenberg

I liked Orsi and wanted him to stay, but nobody knew he was a 20 goal a season man. Not you, not anyone.

Orsi scored four goals in 1118 minutes for us (including 4 assists and with a good chunk of those minutes against higher league opposition).  That's pretty much a goal every 3 games.  You pan that over a full 46 game season and you get 15 goals.

There was certainly enough to suggest he had it within him to be a high teens/20 goals a season striker.

Hurst got it wrong.  Simple as.
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 169
rancido
March 27, 2024, 10:24am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from diehardmariner

Orsi scored four goals in 1118 minutes for us (including 4 assists and with a good chunk of those minutes against higher league opposition).  That's pretty much a goal every 3 games.  You pan that over a full 46 game season and you get 15 goals.

There was certainly enough to suggest he had it within him to be a high teens/20 goals a season striker.

Hurst got it wrong.  Simple as.

In the summer retention and recruitment, PH got a lot wrong and that's why we are in this position now.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 169
diehardmariner
March 27, 2024, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from acko338
Sign George Lloyd up when Cheltenham get relegated - grafter, runner, scores a few, harrasses defenders, linked well with Rose last season, good stamina in the no 10 role that has been missing.

Whilst he hasn't scored or contributed for a couple of months at Cheltenham, he's generally impressed since coming back from injury earlier this season.  I imagine he'll be out of our reach now.

If Cheltenham go down, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him joining Hurst at Shrewsbury.
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 169
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.