The Yard Dog
December 9, 2023, 9:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Heisenberg

Glennon was off the chart today. He was relegated to a has-been under Hurst after being linked with championship clubs in the summer - he now looks like L2 could indeed be beneath him if he can play like that consistently.

Hunt makes the odd stray pass, but so what! He’s fantastic. I love the way Artell must be saying “keep trying those passes, kid”, whereas Hurst and Doig were clearly thinking “he just gave the ball away, he’s a liability!!”.

Today was great.

One gripe - 5200-ish? What the hell? We should have had 6500-7000 in today.

I think the attendance was effected by the pitch inspections.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 93
ska face
December 9, 2023, 9:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,664
Gold Stars: 847
Agree about Gnahoua, thought he was really good today and we definitely lost something when he went off. Same with Eisa who did well defensively when this has been a weakness of his this year. Conteh was a level above, great reading and anticipation, and he invariably regains possession when he gets near the ball. Clifton was a bit off it for me, constantly on his heels waiting for the ball to arrive and lost possession at least 4 times in the first half as a result.

Cartwright was brilliant - big save in the first half followed by a couple of massive claims in awful conditions, and kicking was spot on. Was brave enough to keep brining the CBs in to get it short even later on in the second half when Rodgers didn’t really fancy it, and one move straight through the middle with a couple of layoffs put us in their box from a goal kick.

Overall the play just seemed a lot more intelligent. Players held onto the ball a second or too longer than usual to find a better option, or time a pass better. Some lovely first-time stuff from Glennon including one big switch in the second half that was similar to a goal Ipswich scored last week & almost put Mullarkey in.

Same back 5 for the third match in a row too, when was the last time that happened?
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 93
oochiad
December 9, 2023, 9:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Also to mention Pearson’s and DB’s passion on the touch line in the last 10 mins to get us over the line. Lovely to see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 93
HatTrickHero
December 9, 2023, 9:38pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Good game, thoroughly entertained. Really enjoy the balance of Hunt, Conteh and Clifton. Surprised nobody has mention Gnahoua who I thought played beautifully.

Only sour spot for me was people singing "Boris Johnson he's one of our own" in the upper. Nearly puked

I tried to get them singing 'Boris Johnson, he's reset his phone' but nope....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 93
oochiad
December 9, 2023, 9:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from oochiad
Also to mention Pearson’s and DA’s passion on the touch line in the last 10 mins to get us over the line. Lovely to see.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 93
Limerick Mariner
December 9, 2023, 9:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Yep us Hunt and Glennon disciples are sat quite smugly tonight and let’s hope this is a start to a great period for them and the club. However, if they and Conteh, continue to perform at the levels witnessed today they will soon be in demand. Great seeing Hunt playing in the advanced role and whilst he still gave the ball away a little carelessly at times this was mostly down to the fact he was trying to make something positive happen. He has very quick feet and a deft turn and looks very dangerous playing on the edge of the opposition’s box and long May he stay in this area of the pitch.

Overall everything about the performance has been said throughout this thread but the real positive is the attacking intent we now display throughout the team and although there’s a long way to go I anticipate we are going to enjoy our visits to BP a lot more in the future.

As Maringer commented the only small negative today was the substitutions with Green in particular looking completely lost as to what position he was supposed to be playing. However, we won Artell would have learned more about all the players on show and I’m sure all will improve as we move forward.

I was a Hunt and Glennon disciple last season and expected this season to be their big kick on season. What I saw early season surprised me how poor they were, and then with both being left out of the matchday squad, and trusting PH and Doig to know what they were doing, I thought maybe they'll turn out to be players who just don't fulfil their early promise. What I'm surprised about now is how PH let them regress like that and what was going on behind the scenes? He clearly saw the potential because we really pushed the boat out to sign them on permanents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 93
MuddyWaters
December 9, 2023, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I was a Hunt and Glennon disciple last season and expected this season to be their big kick on season. What I saw early season surprised me how poor they were, and then with both being left out of the matchday squad, and trusting PH and Doig to know what they were doing, I thought maybe they'll turn out to be players who just don't fulfil their early promise. What I'm surprised about now is how PH let them regress like that and what what was going on behind the scenes? He clearly saw the potential because we really pushed the boat out to sign them on permanents.

It does make you wonder what actually happened. However, form is temporary and class is permanent and as DA says in the club interview, both these lads have high ceilings to reach.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 93
HarrogateMariner
December 9, 2023, 10:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Really enjoyed the game. Huge credit to the players, manager and coaching staff for effectively implementing the new style of play so quickly. If this is what can be achieved after just 2 weeks then what is to come should be very exciting.

Glennon and Rose stand outs for me. But everyone had a good game, thought we were better defensively but still some work to do before we are back to the defensive solidity we are used to. Two very well worked and executed goals.

Two key moments for me when the game was still 0-0. Cartwright's diving save and Clifton's block/ deflection following the goal mouth scramble that resulted in a Crewe corner. Those were the type of situations we were conceding from a few weeks ago.

Add a fit Wilson and Pyke to this team and there really are some selection headaches for the manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 93
Hagrid
December 9, 2023, 11:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,437
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
Really enjoyed the game. Huge credit to the players, manager and coaching staff for effectively implementing the new style of play so quickly. If this is what can be achieved after just 2 weeks then what is to come should be very exciting.

Glennon and Rose stand outs for me. But everyone had a good game, thought we were better defensively but still some work to do before we are back to the defensive solidity we are used to. Two very well worked and executed goals.

Two key moments for me when the game was still 0-0. Cartwright's diving save and Clifton's block/ deflection following the goal mouth scramble that resulted in a Crewe corner. Those were the type of situations we were conceding from a few weeks ago.

Add a fit Wilson and Pyke to this team and there really are some selection headaches for the manager.

2nd of those happened at 1-0 up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 93
HertsGTFC
December 9, 2023, 11:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Did we just see the long awaited balance in midfield between Conteh, Clifton & Hunt as the foundation for the 2 wide front players & full backs to get into the game & right attacking positions?

Lots of good things about today which have been covered in posts above & don’t need repeating but the thing for me was the desire to get the ball down, pass it and by the looks of it not worrying about making mistakes.

We’ve always know technically this group are an upgrade on previous squads, maybe we don’t need a revolving door in Jan after all.

From the grounds staff to the goal scorers lots of good things about GTFC were on show today.

UTM!

P.S. Only downer for me is we have a small cluster of 🛎️🔚’s in the Upper the consistently flick the V, hurl abuse & boo the away support when attendance is announced, barmy!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.