Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 10,824 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
November 5, 2023, 8:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Can I just say that Glennon didn’t exactly look like a player who had just come back from injury. 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 94
pontoonlew
November 5, 2023, 9:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
We were crap today, absolutely shite. However there’s some big overreactions off the back of it, cup upsets happen all over the shop and today wasn’t one of them. The pitch looked like bloody concrete and it played right into their hands.

These are the same players who put in good performances early in the season and I’ve no doubt there’s some very good players there, today hasn’t changed that despite how they played.

As for the slating Joe Hutchinson has had, the guy has had jobs at England, Lincoln (during probably their best ever period) & Hull (also during theirs). He’s got a fantastic pedigree and to slate him based on how Hurst has used some of those players is so far off the mark IMO.

Stockwoods comments have been taken out of context too. Who knew that our head of recruitment might get involved in some recruitment? He said he’s helping to sift through cvs whilst one of the most connected people in football, Jennings, has a big hand in the recruitment.

A crap performance but we’ve got the replay, the reaction that we’re now national league bound off the back of it is a bit far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 94
Theimperialcoroner
November 5, 2023, 9:36pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from hampshiremariner
Why is Waterfall benched? I cannot understand it.

Because he’s so slow he makes me look quick. Legs have gone.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 94
chaos33
November 5, 2023, 9:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
All good points I’d say, but I really felt the performance was cr@p. First half especially terrible. It’s not as if we were even playing a spirited, half decent team. Say what you like about the pitch - fair enough, but we were absolutely awful for the most part. Lumping the ball hopefully, passing it carelessly half the time, exerting zero pressure, not moving off the ball, not showing any technical skill or passion or cohesion. I don’t think we should hide from it. We were cr*p in almost every regard for almost all the game, barring the odd moment - the equaliser, the free kick that hit the bar……

That’s it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 94
Limerick Mariner
November 5, 2023, 9:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from barralad
I'm sorry but anybody watching that and not accepting the role the pitch played in Town's below par performance must have the blinkers well and truly in place. The bounce is so unpredictable that it puts even the steadiest player on edge. Last similar incident was away at Bromley in 2021 where the same thing affected Town and even more badly (and that wasn't a struggling team). I suppose I was being a bit optimistic expecting fans that in very recent history have seen the "magic of the cup" from the positive side to understand that our opponents had literally nothing to lose-playing in front of that grounds highest ever crowd and that the F.A. Cup has a very long history of not only giving but taking away.
Having said that, the performance in the first half can only partly be excused. We were abysmal from 2-11. (I'm excluding Cartwright who because of his team mates static viewing of the free kick couldn't be expected to get anywhere near such a great effort. He also pulled off a fantastic save from a goal bound header) There was no positive, rapid forward play. We invite pressure that in our players current state of low confidence we definitely do not need to attempt playing out from the back.
The second half was markedly better. I smiled at the comments on this thread saying management-wise it was more of the same. I"m a self confirmed fan of Paul Hurst but I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams him making the substitution bringing Green and
Glennon into the game when Davies and Pearson did and in such a change of plan. I'll concede that Glennon's delivery could have been better but a tiring Slough team couldn't deal with the increase in tempo. Criticism of Green's apparent non-league ability is profoundly unfair. His presence and workrate would currently be enough for me to start him every game. Certainly not much got past him today and it freed up the rest of the midfield to be more progressive. The goal was great.  Great ball from Michee and a proper strikers finish from Rose.
We live to fight another day whhich is more than can be said for teams of far higher standing than us aftet quite frankly a typically bizarre weekend of rrsults.

I certainly wasn’t criticising Green when I referred to him as an exceptional NL player, (maybe should have been “NL”), I’d also be starting him every game atm - I’ve a hunch we might get more out Conteh with Green alongside although they were swapped today.

We can’t have any passengers and Eisa seems like one currently, maybe Harry out to the left and Gnahoua on the right with Conteh further forward. Don’t know how long Gav is out for

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 94
Surrey97
November 5, 2023, 10:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 20
We were well below par again today, I think whoever comes in is going to have a hell of a job on their hands to get this team playing. What I will say is though, it was disappointing to see Rose getting abuse from one supporter during the game, he took it well to be fair to him, but of all the players to single out for criticism I think Rose would be quite low down my list to be honest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 94
dapperz fun pub
November 6, 2023, 6:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,962
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Can I just say that Glennon didn’t exactly look like a player who had just come back from injury. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I assume ur referring to the rumour of Glennon having an altercation with one of the management team and after that pretty much the wheels came off . I heard the same rumour in fact I’ve heard a few versions and tbh it would explain a lot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 94
Ash brown
November 6, 2023, 8:14am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +22
Quoted from ska face
Amazes me that someone started a rumour saying one/some of the players’d had a bust up with Doig. Could you picture anyone in this squad squaring up to Doig? Barely a set of bøllocks between the lot of them, most look scared of their own shadow.

I could see waterfall squaring up to him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 94
GrimPol
November 6, 2023, 9:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Well, we didn't lose. A none repeatable free kick flew in, and Davies the scorer (Player Manager) won't have to pay for his beer for a while, and good luck to him.
The worries. The free header clipping our post shows we are marking poorly, the poor freekicks going long or short is something we cannot blame on the pitch, and I'm baffled how they can be so rubbish. But the team didn't seem to want to engage with the opposition, which is a worry. Cliffton wasn't happy until he got his trophy Yellow.
I watched the match via Bet365 which had no commentary only the stadiun sound so no "proffessional" commentator input, so my view isn't tainted. But I'm less worried about the Morecambe match (compared to when watching Donny) because we stopped/slowed the decline and hence a bit of optimism. Fans are allowed optimism in the face of reality. UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 94
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 6, 2023, 9:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Alright, with a good night's sleep and the perspective of a couple of other games being worse results for better teams than us....

1st half was awful, or it was after about 10-15 minutes. We looked ok at the start (just ok) and they didn't get near our goal. Their first decent attack seemed to shake us to the core and it's difficult to know why, it didn't come to anything. They then scored a worldy and we lost all semblance of control.

2nd half was better, we had more control and longish spells of pressure that could have produced a couple more goals with better finishing.

Substitutions were positive and attack minded. Green had an impact, Hunt less so.

Crosses were better, not great but better. A big No. 9 might have caused chaos.

Rose and Wilson look like a strike pairing but aren't played together, why?

I have 3 major concerns:

1. The fight/graft of some (not all!) players, they're just not prepared to battle.
2. Lack of pass completion with relatively easy passes and the choices some players make to hit long passes through traffic when shorter, easier passes are on. Both lose possession (and using the pitch as an excuse, come on! These are professional footballers).
3. The unwillingness of wide players to take players on, get into a crossing position and get the ball into a danger area - the first time Michee did it we scored!

Finally, Eisa. A couple of times we lost posession on the far side and Eisa had to drop back into midfield to cover. He did it looking like a schoolboy who had to tidy his bedroom and at the same speed. Drop him and bring Khan in. His attitude is a problem - you're not Ronaldo son and you don't play for Man City, f*cking dig in.

I think our problems can be fixed but it will take some work on the training ground and some straight talking to some players.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.