Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 10,820 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
November 5, 2023, 7:47pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,529
Gold Stars: 173
I do think there is a degree of speed required for the appointment. A few weeks is maybe 3/4 league games by which point we’ll have played 20ish games. A new manager will need a few weeks to get settled, assess his squad, draw up targets for his next window. This would all need to be done in the busiest, most frantic month for fixtures.

It obviously has to be the right appointment but it doesn’t really add up that this has been thought about for a few weeks.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 94
lukeo
November 5, 2023, 7:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,375
Gold Stars: 148
5 3 2 please. Or 4231 and actually have conteh and hunt infront of the back 4. 1 doing the grafting and tackling, 1 getting the ball moving forward (although Conteh can also do that)

1 thing I noticed and it happens alot, the movement off the ball is dreadful. Noone looking to get into little pockets between the defence and midfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 94
moosey_club
November 5, 2023, 8:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
We’ve got to think that this was one of sloughs biggest ever games so we were going to be against a team who were seriously up for it . We dodged a bullet so let’s be grateful for that . We could’ve easily been humiliated today bud we weren’t. Nobody will remember this 1-1 in a few weeks.

Scraping a draw against Slough is pretty humiliating in itself. We hardly touched them. Awful.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 94
barralad
November 5, 2023, 8:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I'm sorry but anybody watching that and not accepting the role the pitch played in Town's below par performance must have the blinkers well and truly in place. The bounce is so unpredictable that it puts even the steadiest player on edge. Last similar incident was away at Bromley in 2021 where the same thing affected Town and even more badly (and that wasn't a struggling team). I suppose I was being a bit optimistic expecting fans that in very recent history have seen the "magic of the cup" from the positive side to understand that our opponents had literally nothing to lose-playing in front of that grounds highest ever crowd and that the F.A. Cup has a very long history of not only giving but taking away.
Having said that, the performance in the first half can only partly be excused. We were abysmal from 2-11. (I'm excluding Cartwright who because of his team mates static viewing of the free kick couldn't be expected to get anywhere near such a great effort. He also pulled off a fantastic save from a goal bound header) There was no positive, rapid forward play. We invite pressure that in our players current state of low confidence we definitely do not need to attempt playing out from the back.
The second half was markedly better. I smiled at the comments on this thread saying management-wise it was more of the same. I"m a self confirmed fan of Paul Hurst but I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams him making the substitution bringing Green and
Glennon into the game when Davies and Pearson did and in such a change of plan. I'll concede that Glennon's delivery could have been better but a tiring Slough team couldn't deal with the increase in tempo. Criticism of Green's apparent non-league ability is profoundly unfair. His presence and workrate would currently be enough for me to start him every game. Certainly not much got past him today and it freed up the rest of the midfield to be more progressive. The goal was great.  Great ball from Michee and a proper strikers finish from Rose.
We live to fight another day whhich is more than can be said for teams of far higher standing than us aftet quite frankly a typically bizarre weekend of rrsults.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 94
moosey_club
November 5, 2023, 8:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Usual over reaction from so called fans

We were trying to play a certain way in the first half. It didn’t work. Not enough urgency.

Slough goal . He will never score another like that in his lifetime

He probably won't face up to a keeper who stands so far over being protected by a wall  that crumbles so easily.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 94
aussiej
November 5, 2023, 8:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +118
Gold Stars: 17
What Town need is a great big dose of what those Cray Valley players have had... Its character what is missing at Grimsby and the fact that our players are not willing to give it all for the cause that is letting them down. Those Cray Valley players would run through brick walls for the cause and that is something our players would not do....  
Football is a simple game and what makes you a better player is the sheer effort you.are prepared to put in to make the difference between winning and losing. Look at our promotion  games at Notts County and Wrexham, it was the fact we would not give in until the final whistle that made us winners.
This team does not have it yet but might do under the right leadership and lets hope we get that right or its back to non league for a very long time...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 94
IlkleyMariner
November 5, 2023, 8:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Really pleased for Cray Valley Paper Mills….it was fun to watch.

Maybe we should rename our beloved club as Grimsby and Cleethorpes Fish Market…..just saying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 94
TwoLeftFeet
November 5, 2023, 8:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,082
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from barralad
I'm sorry but anybody watching that and not accepting the role the pitch played in Town's below par performance must have the blinkers well and truly in place. The bounce is so unpredictable that it puts even the steadiest player on edge. Last similar incident was away at Bromley in 2021 where the same thing affected Town and even more badly (and that wasn't a struggling team). I suppose I was being a bit optimistic expecting fans that in very recent history have seen the "magic of the cup" from the positive side to understand that our opponents had literally nothing to lose-playing in front of that grounds highest ever crowd and that the F.A. Cup has a very long history of not only giving but taking away.
Having said that, the performance in the first half can only partly be excused. We were abysmal from 2-11. (I'm excluding Cartwright who because of his team mates static viewing of the free kick couldn't be expected to get anywhere near such a great effort. He also pulled off a fantastic save from a goal bound header) There was no positive, rapid forward play. We invite pressure that in our players current state of low confidence we definitely do not need to attempt playing out from the back.
The second half was markedly better. I smiled at the comments on this thread saying management-wise it was more of the same. I"m a self confirmed fan of Paul Hurst but I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams him making the substitution bringing Green and
Glennon into the game when Davies and Pearson did and in such a change of plan. I'll concede that Glennon's delivery could have been better but a tiring Slough team couldn't deal with the increase in tempo. Criticism of Green's apparent non-league ability is profoundly unfair. His presence and workrate would currently be enough for me to start him every game. Certainly not much got past him today and it freed up the rest of the midfield to be more progressive. The goal was great.  Great ball from Michee and a proper strikers finish from Rose.
We live to fight another day whhich is more than can be said for teams of far higher standing than us aftet quite frankly a typically bizarre weekend of rrsults.

Good post agree with pretty much all of that.. bit concerned with the over reaction to today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 94
toontown
November 5, 2023, 8:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
He actually said in a pre-season video that most of the players signed were ones he'd had an eye on for a long time. The exception was Conteh - who he did say was unearthed by Joe Hutchinson.

Yeah Eastwood was his keeper before, that's why he's picked him
Cartwright was known to croudson for a long time I seem to think, that's the connection there.
Mularkey Hurst tried to sign before we even got the recruitment guy in.
Rodgers I'm not sure.
Gnouha was hursts before.
Vernham has been chased by Hurst for ages before the recruitment guy.
Eisa was hursts before
Andrews is a young lad, not much of a career to speak of before his loan.
Ainley not sure
Rose Wilson and pyke not sure.

Conteh was defo the recruitment guys signing.

At least half the signings were probably nothing to do with the recruitment fella, but it's quite possible that was the case with a lot more than half.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 94
forza ivano
November 5, 2023, 8:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,205
Gold Stars: 265
Greens enthusiasm n confidence seemed to inspire the others into better performances. Mention for Pyke who was a lot better than I'd seen previously
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.