Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To All Who Think Paul Hurst Should Go
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

To All Who Think Paul Hurst Should Go

This thread currently has 26,149 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 26, 2023, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

I am aware of that and as p1ssed off about it as the next fan, but my point was made toward another post that said we don't create anything, when in fact we created plenty on Saturday. Far more shots and shots on target than we did against Gillingham in fact, which many cite as a good and entertaining performance.

I want to see goals, wins and entertainment as much as any fan does, but I'm not going to lose my sh1t at every set back.

I personally think that we will get better when everyone is back fit and we have grown into the season. If we don't then I will join in with the conversation about PH and whether he is the man for the job.

Vernam should be fit in January, that should give us time to grow into the season.
Private Message
Reply: 260 - 312
ginnywings
September 26, 2023, 9:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Vernam should be fit in January, that should give us time to grow into the season.

Christ, your relentless pessimism is draining.

You seem to quote every post I make and pour your misery on it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 261 - 312
cannylad65
September 26, 2023, 9:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 7
When everyone gets back fit.

There will be others that are injured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 262 - 312
MuddyWaters
September 26, 2023, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

Iā€™m a Town fan. Iā€™m used to pessimism. Then Iā€™m pleasantly surprised and elated when something good happens.šŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Ž
Private Message
Reply: 263 - 312
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 27, 2023, 10:03am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from ginnywings

Hang on, hang on......just going for some popcorn.....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 264 - 312
GrimPol
September 27, 2023, 11:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from ginnywings

Optimism is fine on the day of the match, in between matches,  Realism should rule your head. You have to scrutinise PH's team if it's winning (so you can win again) or losing (so you don't lose again)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 265 - 312
AncientExiledMariner
September 27, 2023, 8:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from GrimPol

Optimism is fine on the day of the match, in between matches,  Realism should rule your head. You have to scrutinise PH's team if it's winning (so you can win again) or losing (so you don't lose again)

Are you new to this forum?

Rationality leaves the building on match day. Hurst would have been sacked about 20 times last year if it was up to the Fishy. Once the tantrums go, then you get to take a step back, take the emotion out of it, and really ask what we need and who is best to take us forward. Easy to say now (without a post to quote) as I wasn't on this forum then (as a dirty lurker), but I never once believed we should have fired Hurst last season, because I knew what he had done before and what he could do, and he turned it around. Did I hate every minute of that bad run? Did it ruin my Saturday's? Yeah. Did I let my emotions run my brain? No.

Hurst, apart from at Ipswich (which was a poison chalice. Ignore Scunny as it was a falling out and non-football reasons sacking) has always taken teams forward, improved them and built upon them. He's kept teams in league 1, developed youngsters and found new favourites. He's found game plans against top teams. Maybe it's not the most sexy to some (though weirdly everyone still dreams of Buckley ball and passing along the back line), but it improves things and take things forward. I want nothing more than for Grimsby to go forward after decades of shite and going backwards. That needs patience, sticking with a manager and giving them the chance to solve those problems. It takes the realisation that there are no silver bullets in football, and it takes the realisation that we do not, and will not have the biggest budget in this league. In those situations, progress takes time. Rome wasn't built in a day, Luton took 4 years to get out of League 2, and we're losing our heads after a solid first season, an improvement in the squad, some injuries and one hell of a tricky start.

I'd rather Hurst had that money to spend in January and the next transfer budget rather than throwing at him and sacking him and watching someone else come in, replace the first 11 with their own in the same budget and struggle with that transition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 266 - 312
chrissy
September 27, 2023, 11:25pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
I would not like it if a manager got the sack over a few.poor results.
We have a transfer window twice a season that might be a good idea if it works for managers as well.
All teams have bad spells only to come back and start winning again .
We all would like to win every week even Man City can not manage that.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 267 - 312
GrimPol
September 28, 2023, 1:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76

Are you new to this forum?

Rationality leaves the building on match day. Hurst would have been sacked about 20 times last year if it was up to the Fishy. Once the tantrums go, then you get to take a step back, take the emotion out of it, and really ask what we need and who is best to take us forward. Easy to say now (without a post to quote) as I wasn't on this forum then (as a dirty lurker), but I never once believed we should have fired Hurst last season, because I knew what he had done before and what he could do, and he turned it around. Did I hate every minute of that bad run? Did it ruin my Saturday's? Yeah. Did I let my emotions run my brain? No.

Hurst, apart from at Ipswich (which was a poison chalice. Ignore Scunny as it was a falling out and non-football reasons sacking) has always taken teams forward, improved them and built upon them. He's kept teams in league 1, developed youngsters and found new favourites. He's found game plans against top teams. Maybe it's not the most sexy to some (though weirdly everyone still dreams of Buckley ball and passing along the back line), but it improves things and take things forward. I want nothing more than for Grimsby to go forward after decades of shite and going backwards. That needs patience, sticking with a manager and giving them the chance to solve those problems. It takes the realisation that there are no silver bullets in football, and it takes the realisation that we do not, and will not have the biggest budget in this league. In those situations, progress takes time. Rome wasn't built in a day, Luton took 4 years to get out of League 2, and we're losing our heads after a solid first season, an improvement in the squad, some injuries and one hell of a tricky start.

I'd rather Hurst had that money to spend in January and the next transfer budget rather than throwing at him and sacking him and watching someone else come in, replace the first 11 with their own in the same budget and struggle with that transition.

Stop getting personal, it will corrode your soul. In none of my posts have I proposed sacking PH (Indeed no manager). You want discussion, as long as it's on your terms.
It doesn't work that way.
PH has been a manager with six clubs, two of which you discount, and twice with GTFC and employed by JF, so far so good, however past performances are no guarantee of future results, and thats for everyone. As to building a squad? Really?  Most of the squad have their names fastened with velcro, that is the reality of League 2 and 1. It's not PH's fault.
My beef is that our team has one gear. Other teams come out for the second half, with another approach, you can discern it. I have trouble seeing ours from the offset never mind changes. It of course might be PH's cunning plan and make the opposition "blind" as well. I don't think our players can see it either to be fair. Yes we are playing more "entertaining " football this season, probably for some years. I listen to Humberside sport for away matches, and you can hear them not actually knowing what formation we are playing, they seem as dumbfounded/bemused as I am, but are too polite to say anything.
No I'm not "lets sack PH" now, but I do wish he took a 4"x2" in with him and tell the players whats what at half time. Buckley would have made this very team 15 points easy by now just by sheer will.  That is the point.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 268 - 312
AncientExiledMariner
September 28, 2023, 2:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from GrimPol

Stop getting personal, it will corrode your soul. In none of my posts have I proposed sacking PH (Indeed no manager). You want discussion, as long as it's on your terms.
It doesn't work that way.
PH has been a manager with six clubs, two of which you discount, and twice with GTFC and employed by JF, so far so good, however past performances are no guarantee of future results, and thats for everyone. As to building a squad? Really?  Most of the squad have their names fastened with velcro, that is the reality of League 2 and 1. It's not PH's fault.
My beef is that our team has one gear. Other teams come out for the second half, with another approach, you can discern it. I have trouble seeing ours from the offset never mind changes. It of course might be PH's cunning plan and make the opposition "blind" as well. I don't think our players can see it either to be fair. Yes we are playing more "entertaining " football this season, probably for some years. I listen to Humberside sport for away matches, and you can hear them not actually knowing what formation we are playing, they seem as dumbfounded/bemused as I am, but are too polite to say anything.
No I'm not "lets sack PH" now, but I do wish he took a 4"x2" in with him and tell the players whats what at half time. Buckley would have made this very team 15 points easy by now just by sheer will.  That is the point.

You care to explain to me how I was personal? There was 1 throwaway comment referring to the doom and gloom here the last 2 Saturday's which you surely should have seen. You said "Optimism is fine on the day of the match, in between matches,  Realism should rule your head.". The implication being that people who support Hurst aren't realistic or using their brain. You really need to take your own medicine in terms of not getting personal.

Buckley 3 was dreadful and a clear indication you cannot go back. He'd likely be doing worse and isn't the same manager as he was. The game has moved on.

What do you mean by we only have 1 gear? Was that same gear deployed at Gillingham and Wrexham? Many said we had great first halves and poor second halves in some games. Bradford and Crawley for example. The problem is, we start well and don't maintain that level. When things go wrong, we haven't got the impact from the subs bench to change that. Some would argue that is a Hurst problem when he doesn't change it, but some would argue we have a number of attacking players out that gives us limited options to change things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 269 - 312
32 Pages Prev ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To All Who Think Paul Hurst Should Go

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.