MuddyWaters
September 5, 2023, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from bawarmy

Is this the same competition that we took 30 000 fans to Wembley for back in the 90s?

Not really. It was just for teams in the two lower divisions then.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 110
Manchester Mariner
September 5, 2023, 9:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from bawarmy

Is this the same competition that we took 30 000 fans to Wembley for back in the 90s?

In all fairness not many people ever turned up until the latter rounds back in the day. I remember sat in the Main Stand with me dad in the 90s watching us get battered by York in front of a couple of hundred when it was the Leyland Daf Cup. The highlight was Tony Rees sat in front of us out injured at the time taking umbrage to some random guy just sliding into the seat next to him and calling him 'Tone'.

'When you going to be back in the team Tone?' Needless to say he was met with a face like thunder and a none committed reply through gritted teeth of 'soon.'

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 110
ginnywings
September 5, 2023, 10:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from bawarmy

The players obviously don’t . Enjoy your night

Thank you bawarmy, had a great night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 110
Swansea_Mariner
September 5, 2023, 10:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,455
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from gtfc_chris
Quite enjoyed the game to be honest. Obviously not a thriller in any sense of the word but being the competition it is it's been watched almost with a neutral mentality without any real bother about what the result is.

New system that looked like it had some positives with Efete and Glennon picking up some high positions. It's a different proposition to use that system in the league with what would be our first 11 but I liked how we moved the ball in general.

The glaringly obvious shortfall is the complete lack of any chances at all. In that regard I didn't really like Pyke this evening, did a few things well but not really in the game as much as he could have been.

Gnahoua keeps getting better each time I see him and I'm really starting to like him. Khouri didn't really do much wrong without making a real impression to boost his first team chances.

Really liked Bramwell, thought for a youngster he handled the game well and I'm hopeful we might see more of him later in the season if circumstances allow it.

Don't agree with those who said Hunt has been poor. I think his desire to want the ball is great, I think he just needed better movement ahead today as he often went back and sidewards with nothing to really go for up top.

Andrews I think won't look out of place with us throughout the season, certainly doesn't look to be a 'squad filler' in the mould of some of last seasons additions.

All in all, nice to see some of the other players get chance to show what they're about, liked the controlled manner of play and if this is a system that can work to our advantage in the league with the first 11 then it's a beneficial trial. If it is used with the first team in the league then hopefully a little more tempo might result in greater chances being created, guess we'll wait out on that one.

Pretty much exactly the way i saw it.

We were very easy on the eye and while i think both Hunt and Andrews were decent individually, i think with them both together we seemed prone to recycle and reset backwards far too much which rendered us a little toothless.

Pyke was'nt great, Bramwell was a surprise  really assured, and the youth lad is a unit for his age.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 110
Croxton
September 5, 2023, 10:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
As gtfc-chris says it, apart from the failure by Glennon and Efete to attack and push full backs towards their goal. So often, Efete does well up to the box then, with acres of grass in front of him, tamely passes backwards. When a cross did come in Pyke made a hash of it.

Hurst said he was disappointed that there was too little movement to attack the six yard box yet he signed Pyke who is as vanilla as can be. We don't just need a fox in the box, more a young lion!

Positives were the CB's, Bramwell, Khouri, Ganouha, Oisa and Andrews first 45.

Let's face it, both clubs treated it as a preseason game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 110
arryarryarry
September 5, 2023, 11:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from bawarmy

Back in those days it was only what is now League 1 and League 2 sides.

Now obviously it ridiculously includes some Premiership and I think some Championship under 23 or under 21 sides

However if I remember correctly at least for one season the competition allowed some clubs from what is now the National League because I'm sure we were knocked out by Morecambe at BP when they were in the Conference.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 110
bradzmilne
September 5, 2023, 11:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from bawarmy

In a word.

No.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 110
aldi_01
September 6, 2023, 6:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from arryarryarry

Back in those days it was only what is now League 1 and League 2 sides.

Now obviously it ridiculously includes some Premiership and I think some Championship under 23 or under 21 sides

However if I remember correctly at least for one season the competition allowed some clubs from what is now the National League because I'm sure we were knocked out by Morecambe at BP when they were in the Conference.

I think we were both knocked out by Morecambe but also beat them in 2008 to reach the final.

I’d happily watch this tournament from start to finish if it were in the same format as it used to be but I just can’t support this bastardised version of the competition…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 110
September 6, 2023, 9:41am
Guest User
Quoted from DB
I thought Gnahoua showed what he could do likewise Khouri. Pyke was a disappointment to me and when Gardner came on I could see little difference between them. Bramwell did well and should secure a start soon, as did Efete as a wingback.

On the whole, we huffed and puffed but created little, if anything, in the last 3rd. Glennon seems to go from bad to worse for some reason and was nowhere near the previous form he had.

Onwards to Bradford and a different team selection and a win.

So who would you drop for him to start?

Reply: 98 - 110
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Bramwell looks a prospect and half.  Very, very composed on the ball.    

Interesting that we go with that box type midfield yet Hunt is one of the sitters and Khouri further forward.  I completely understand the thing with Hunt in that he has that ability to lose possession, he did it a few times last night. So play him further forward.  I like Khouri but he's less likely to unlock teams than Hunt and vice-versa I think Khouri offers more defensively.  

I never want us to lose but I can't pretend to be disappointed that it looks likely we're out the competition.

Good run out for those looking to get back to fitness and stay sharp etc.  But was a bit disappointed in Pyke.  I know he lacked service for most of the game but he looked a little lethargic to me.  Was an opportunity for him to go clean through on goal and he looked to be running in treacle.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Barnsley

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.