Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from 123614

So who would you drop for him to start?

Depends on players' form and injuries.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 110
Poojah
September 6, 2023, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,606
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from arryarryarry

Back in those days it was only what is now League 1 and League 2 sides.

Now obviously it ridiculously includes some Premiership and I think some Championship under 23 or under 21 sides

However if I remember correctly at least for one season the competition allowed some clubs from what is now the National League because I'm sure we were knocked out by Morecambe at BP when they were in the Conference.

That is correct. We lost on penalties and Russell Slade’s son Steve made his one and only appearance for us.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 110
Chrisblor
September 6, 2023, 10:40am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,870
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

That is correct. We lost on penalties and Russell Slade’s son Steve made his one abs only appearance for us.

It was the match where youth team player Paul Ashton accidentally scored from a cross and was then never seen again, and Tony Crane infamously blasted his penalty over the Pontoon into orbit.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 110
louth_in_the_south
September 6, 2023, 11:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from bawarmy

Is this the same competition that we took 30 000 fans to Wembley for back in the 90s?

Er no , it’s not !

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 110
arryarryarry
September 6, 2023, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Some blaming our keeper for the first goal, having only seen the highlights it didn't show giving away the throw in but for me Efete was ball watching yet again for both goals.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 110
chaos33
September 6, 2023, 2:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
He was ball watching for both but the 3 other Town defenders in the box are equally sloppy for the first, and the second goal was more a case of the all too easy cross into the box from the overload so more responsibility there for me. Even if Efete had been sharp and goal side it would’ve been very difficult for him to defend that ball facing his own goal and about 5 yards out. I wouldn’t single out Miche for either goal.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 110
louth_in_the_south
September 6, 2023, 8:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 96
Just watched the highlights and don’t think you can really point any blame at Cartwright or the defending for either goals . Just well worked and good finishing

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 110
HerveJosse
September 6, 2023, 9:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Being an impatient individual. I made my mind up about Pyke during the Mansfield league game when Rose won the ball in the air flicking on and Pyke first failed to anticipate then ambled after it in a token effort . I would be interested to know what our player research saw in him given his career record to date (140 games 9 goals in 7 years) and his performances so far. Feel free to mark me down as negative / critical.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 110
chipsandgravy
September 6, 2023, 9:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,614
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from HerveJosse
Being an impatient individual. I made my mind up about Pyke during the Mansfield league game when Rose won the ball in the air flicking on and Pyke first failed to anticipate then ambled after it in a token effort . I would be interested to know what our player research saw in him given his career record to date (140 games 9 goals in 7 years) and his performances so far. Feel free to mark me down as negative / critical.

Not quite as impatient but made my mind up last night as twice he tried an extravagant flick both going to Barnsley players. Tony Rees would hang his head in shame watching that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 110
mariner91
September 6, 2023, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from HerveJosse

I’ve not made my mind up just yet but his goal scoring record and the fact he was played at wing back for Shrewsbury really concerns me. Particularly when we only have three strikers. I know others disagree but if you’re actually a goal threat, you don’t get put at wing back. Hopefully he will come good and prove me wrong but our strike force looks low on quality and quantity currently. Which isn’t to say Rose isn’t good because I think he is excellent. But if he got injured at the weekend then we’d be screwed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Barnsley

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.