TAGG
September 5, 2023, 9:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Were you the bloke in the Main Stand who, on Saturday, said that Hunt was excrement against Mansfield? He didn’t seem to realise that Hunt didn’t play in either Mansfield game.

No
Just because I'm saying what I think of his performance tonight does not mean I'm having a go.
Tell me what player you would drop in the first 11 for him at the moment?
I'm just saying he's got no chance of a first team game on this form.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 110
bawarmy
September 5, 2023, 9:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,020
Gold Stars: 33
Easy to blame Cartwright as his confidence has gone, but he is one of those players that will read the comments on here. Calling him a liability or telling him what he’s doing wrong just because you played in goal in the 4th year at school isn’t helping him. Personally  I think the whole team have been poor tonight. Very boring. We could play till tomorrow morning and wouldn’t score. It’s a rubbish cup but tip tapping around with no passion whatsoever. Not good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 110
DB
September 5, 2023, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Safe journey home to all the fans who turned up.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 110
acko338
September 5, 2023, 9:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
No threat up front at all.

Efete having the most of some poor attacking play.

Bramwell and Khouri have had quiet but reasonably solid games.

Barnsley did just sufficiently to be mostly in charge, and Town have created very little up front.

Minutes in squad legs are really tbe only good points !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 110
louth_in_the_south
September 5, 2023, 9:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,692
Gold Stars: 96
The club should play kids in this joke of a competition

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 110
bawarmy
September 5, 2023, 9:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm in a pub in Scarborough and have no idea what is going on, but then I'm 90 per cent drunk.

Jeez, does anybody really give this competition any credence?

The players obviously don’t . Enjoy your night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 110
MuddyWaters
September 5, 2023, 9:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from TAGG

No
Just because I'm saying what I think of his performance tonight does not mean I'm having a go.
Tell me what player you would drop in the first 11 for him at the moment?
I'm just saying he's got no chance of a first team game on this form.

I’m not saying I would drop anyone but I’m not sure what Hunt can do to get in an eleven that isn’t stacked with forward movement. For as long as we play with a fairly static target man, Hunt’s passing ability is pretty wasted and he is pretty much guaranteed to stay on the bench.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 110
gtfc_chris
September 5, 2023, 9:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quite enjoyed the game to be honest. Obviously not a thriller in any sense of the word but being the competition it is it's been watched almost with a neutral mentality without any real bother about what the result is.

New system that looked like it had some positives with Efete and Glennon picking up some high positions. It's a different proposition to use that system in the league with what would be our first 11 but I liked how we moved the ball in general.

The glaringly obvious shortfall is the complete lack of any chances at all. In that regard I didn't really like Pyke this evening, did a few things well but not really in the game as much as he could have been.

Gnahoua keeps getting better each time I see him and I'm really starting to like him. Khouri didn't really do much wrong without making a real impression to boost his first team chances.

Really liked Bramwell, thought for a youngster he handled the game well and I'm hopeful we might see more of him later in the season if circumstances allow it.

Don't agree with those who said Hunt has been poor. I think his desire to want the ball is great, I think he just needed better movement ahead today as he often went back and sidewards with nothing to really go for up top.

Andrews I think won't look out of place with us throughout the season, certainly doesn't look to be a 'squad filler' in the mould of some of last seasons additions.

All in all, nice to see some of the other players get chance to show what they're about, liked the controlled manner of play and if this is a system that can work to our advantage in the league with the first 11 then it's a beneficial trial. If it is used with the first team in the league then hopefully a little more tempo might result in greater chances being created, guess we'll wait out on that one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 110
DB
September 5, 2023, 9:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
I thought Gnahoua showed what he could do likewise Khouri. Pyke was a disappointment to me and when Gardner came on I could see little difference between them. Bramwell did well and should secure a start soon, as did Efete as a wingback.

On the whole, we huffed and puffed but created little, if anything, in the last 3rd. Glennon seems to go from bad to worse for some reason and was nowhere near the previous form he had.

Onwards to Bradford and a different team selection and a win.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 110
bawarmy
September 5, 2023, 9:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The club should play kids in this joke of a competition

Is this the same competition that we took 30 000 fans to Wembley for back in the 90s?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Barnsley

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.