Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,070 views. Print
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
AdamHaddock
August 19, 2023, 5:29pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
We held a decent side to a draw. A cracking finish from Eisa but after that, Mansfield became more and more dominant. They hit the woodwork a couple of times, pulld a save or two from Eastwood and had that one on one trickle just wide. About five minutes later, a similar move saw them round Eastwood and score. With better finishing, Mansfield would have thrashed us today, but we will come up against plenty of teams worse than them.

On the evidence of the first few games, it’s looking like a mid table season. We’re defensively too good (and have enough goals from midfield) to be in a relegation battle  but in the final third we just  lack creativity and runners. We won’t score enough goals this season to threaten the top seven.

Logged Online
Private Message
davmariner
August 19, 2023, 5:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 79
Agree, we haven’t progressed in attacking areas from last season which is a bit disappointing. Danny Rose definitely a downgrade on George Lloyd.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 128
realist
August 19, 2023, 5:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
40% possession at home is pretty poor regardless of whom we are playing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 5:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Make no mistake, that was a very very good point because Mansfield were a cut above us from the 15th minute onward.

We started really well, took the game to them and scored a thunderbolt from Eisa, who is proving to be the one to score goals for us at the moment.

Apart from bringing a great save out of their keeper just before half time, to take an improbable 2-0 lead, we didn't threaten their keeper any more.

Mansfield hit the woodwork twice, missed a glorious chance when their player was clean through and muffed it up, but in the end, it was a mistake that cost us the 3 points. Hesitation allowing their player to pick up a ball he shouldn't have and finding himself free and clear with an empty net.

If you had told me on Monday that we would take 4 points from these two home games, I would happily have taken it, but I hope than one day, we can play with the fluidity and thrust that Mansfield showed today.

I'm a lot happier than their fans will be tonight, because they were much better than us.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 128
It Bites
August 19, 2023, 5:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,223
Gold Stars: 265
Mansfield are everything we were supposed to be this season . Strong , fit , powerful , fast etc etc . If we can’t come close with the money last season then we never will . A lucky point today thanks to a worldly ,
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 5:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from realist
40% possession at home is pretty poor regardless of whom we are playing.

Unless you are playing a better side, about 6 seasons in the making.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 128
Quagmire
August 19, 2023, 5:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Typical Paul Hurst team - plenty of running about but zero creativity, we just don't create anything.

And anyone who thinks Eastwood is an upgrade on Crocombe needs their head testing.

Somehow managed to spend the cup run money, but on what?  We create absolutely nothing, just aimless hoofs up to Rose.

Limp through to January, bring more bang-average players in, and continue to bore fans with his style of play, utterly dull but so predictable.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 128
Badger57
August 19, 2023, 5:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,914
Gold Stars: 30
Hurst hasn't addressed the main problem we've had for years now has he? In fact, we look even more impotent going forwards this season than ever before. Just about deserved a point for a battling display against a vastly superior Mansfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 128
Quagmire
August 19, 2023, 5:44pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Genuine question Ginny, how many more years does Hurst get to turn us into a side like Mansfield?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 128
Mappers
August 19, 2023, 5:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Quagmire
Genuine question Ginny, how many more years does Hurst get to turn us into a side like Mansfield?

I'm a massive Hurst fan but with success or failure he will never provide that 'brand' of total football .

And even though i understand somes wish for it , in reality all of the last 3 teams we have played , with much more costly assembled squads would have probably given us a beating if we went toe to toe with them  ; unfortunately as a collective they just have better players .Harsh but true .

I think how we do in terms of a promotion push will depend on whether we can beat strugglers convincingly and but a few back to back wins together ; October through to Febuary is much more easy looking , on paper at least . Not draw 0-0 to the likes of Crawley ,Colchester etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 128
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2023, 5:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from It Bites
Mansfield are everything we were supposed to be this season . Strong , fit , powerful , fast etc etc . If we can’t come close with the money last season then we never will . A lucky point today thanks to a worldly ,

Mansfield are pretty much where we might be in two years. They have an established team and style of play. We are very much at the start of being a work in progress.

As a consequence, today’s is a great point. We need a few more additions and whoever says Rose is a downgrade on Lloyd is simply wrong.

Several 7 out of 10s today but Conteh again MoM.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 5:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Quagmire

As long as it takes if we keep progressing.

Let's see where we are after half a season and a Jan window for tweaks.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 128
Germo66
August 19, 2023, 5:56pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +120
Gold Stars: 1
Yes a lucky point, but we weren't allowed to get the ball. Mansfield's passing and prossession was excellent, let down by poor finishing. Gnahoua needed to be replaced by Green at half time to try and get the ball. Rose did well in the Taylor role, just need someone to play off him.
Happy with the point against a good team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 128
HerveJosse
August 19, 2023, 5:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Like last week we led at half time but I never felt we were going to win the game. Mansfield will be very disappointed not to have won given there possession around our box and chances missed. Struggling to convince myself we are anything other then a mid table side st best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 128
Simon
August 19, 2023, 5:58pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Score in the 6th minute then sit back inviting pressure, made our own problems today

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 128
It Bites
August 19, 2023, 5:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Mansfield are pretty much where we might be in two years. They have an established team and style of play. We are very much at the start of being a work in progress.

As a consequence, today’s is a great point. We need a few more additions and whoever says Rose is a downgrade on Lloyd is simply wrong.

But we’ll never have the money again.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 128
mimma
August 19, 2023, 6:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Don't think a big centre forward would have made any difference,  we couldn't get hold of the ball in midfield, and without the ball our forward would have been chasing shadows.

The one piece of luck they got was when as last man their defender hauled over the town player. Foul and red card
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 6:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from It Bites

And you know this how?

Mansfield are no bigger as a club than we are, but have spent many seasons, sticking with their manager and getting better year on year.

If we don't win every game, every week, the same doom mongers are on here saying we are sh1t or mid table dross, or relegation fodder. You have no idea how the season will pan out, and I have no idea why I keep trying to make people see the reality of where we are in the scheme of things at the moment.

We have lost ONE game FFS.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 128
Manchester Mariner
August 19, 2023, 6:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from ginnywings

It's end of days for some.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 128
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2023, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

And you know this how?

Mansfield are no bigger as a club than we are, but have spent many seasons, sticking with their manager and getting better year on year.

If we don't win every game, every week, the same doom mongers are on here saying we are sh1t or mid table dross, or relegation fodder. You have no idea how the season will pan out, and I have no idea why I keep trying to make people see the reality of where we are in the scheme of things at the moment.

Wasting your time Ginny. Whatever money we’ve spent is supposed to buy instant success. I find it odd that some people can’t compute that we’ve played three of the most fancied teams in the division already together with another who have made several astute signings.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 128
chaos33
August 19, 2023, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Exactly. It’s always the same 5 or 6 miserable, unrealistic babbling nitwits peddling the same old unhinged, entitled dross. Stop bothering and find something worthwhile in life.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 128
It Bites
August 19, 2023, 6:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Exactly. It’s always the same 5 or 6 miserable, unrealistic babbling nitwits peddling the same old unhinged, entitled dross. Stop bothering and find something worthwhile in life.

Bloody hell calm down . It’s just my opinion, it shouldn’t cause offence should it ? I’m probably wrong but I’m entitled to be mardy after watching a team play exactly how I want us to play . 2 years 3 years ? Hopefully we’ll get there
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 128
LH
August 19, 2023, 6:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,534
Gold Stars: 173
4pts from two difficult opponents in a few days. Unbeaten at home. Relatively speaking we’ve had a solid start looking at the table as a whole. Nice to have a player who’ll have a peek at where the goal is and lash one at it for the first time in a while.

You can see that Mansfield will be up there at the end of the season even with players missing but we did make it easy for them at times. Particularly just before when Pyke was introduced - they played the same ball over the top from right back and beat our slow back line fairly comfortably. Being able to sub Rhys Oates - who has a fairly decent goal record since leaving us - shows their depth. Aden Flint is what an AI generator would draw as a 2020s footballer.

It’s a good point that’ll seem better in April and it’s worth remembering that easier games will come (in a couple of months time!).
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 6:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from It Bites

Bloody hell calm down . It’s just my opinion, it shouldn’t cause offence should it ? I’m probably wrong but I’m entitled to be mardy after watching a team play exactly how I want us to play . 2 years 3 years ? Hopefully we’ll get there

Do you think I like it?

I'd love to see us play like that, and hopefully we will one day, but it takes time.

I can remember us beating Mansfield 7-1 in non league, but now we are both established League 2 clubs. Just they are a bit more established then we are.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 128
TwoLeftFeet
August 19, 2023, 6:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,082
Gold Stars: 18
Good point Mansfield looked a decent team.. they should have been down to 10 men too..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 128
It Bites
August 19, 2023, 6:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Do you think I like it?

I'd love to see us play like that, and hopefully we will one day, but it takes time.

I can remember us beating Mansfield 7-1 in non league, but now we are both established League 2 clubs. Just they are a bit more established then we are.

👍🏻
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 128
Mappers
August 19, 2023, 6:22pm
Champagne Drinker
They are consistently well financed by the Radfords .

I'm not sure what some people want - I get Hursts style is not always easy on the eye but it gets results against more well stocked teams .

I mean if we played Notts & Mansfield at their own games and got pumped 5 or 6 but scored a couple would the moaners be happy because we put on a good show ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 128
chaos33
August 19, 2023, 6:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from It Bites

It hasn’t caused offence

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 128
chaos33
August 19, 2023, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
4pts from two difficult opponents in a few days. Unbeaten at home. Relatively speaking we’ve had a solid start looking at the table as a whole. Nice to have a player who’ll have a peek at where the goal is and lash one at it for the first time in a while.

You can see that Mansfield will be up there at the end of the season even with players missing but we did make it easy for them at times. Particularly just before when Pyke was introduced - they played the same ball over the top from right back and beat our slow back line fairly comfortably. Being able to sub Rhys Oates - who has a fairly decent goal record since leaving us - shows their depth. Aden Flint is what an AI generator would draw as a 2020s footballer.

It’s a good point that’ll seem better in April and it’s worth remembering that easier games will come (in a couple of months time!).

There we are….a bit of balance; rational, pragmatic, realistic…..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 128
LocalLadGTFC
August 19, 2023, 6:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Even with last seasons money, the Mansfield budget is still probably a good chunk larger than ours. Flint is probably on close to 5 figures a week. It's a great point against a team I expect to go up automatically.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 128
sonofmadeleymariner
August 19, 2023, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Same old same old, go one up, do we try and make it 2 or 3 in against an injury wrought side, no we sit back and invite pressure the Paul Hurst style for some reason this forum loves.

3 shots on target at home
40% possession
Taking your top goalscorer off and bringing on Green

Yep you can see why we've got a bit of reputation as a Yoyo relegation side when the fans are happy with that after another poor performance at home glossed over by what was an incredible strike by Eisa.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 128
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2023, 6:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Same old same old, go one up, do we try and make it 2 or 3 in against an injury wrought side, no we sit back and invite pressure the Paul Hurst style for some reason this forum loves.

40% possession

Yep you can see why we've got a bit of reputation as a Yoyo relegation side when the fans are happy with that after another poor performance at home glossed over by what was an incredible strike by Eisa.

Again zero perspective.

This was a Mansfield team that could have beaten us by six a couple of weeks ago.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 6:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic

40% possession

Or maybe Mansfield stopped us going 2 or 3 up because they were better than us once they got to grips with the game.

Some people seem to forget there is another team on the pitch, who also want to get forward and score goals.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 128
chaos33
August 19, 2023, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Here’s a bit of perspective….
We’ve played 4 games. All four opponents are in the top 10. We’ve only lost 1 and even then, it was away, and by 1 goal. Salford, who won 4-3 away today, were made to look second best by us on Tuesday in a game we controlled. We are unbeaten at home. It is our second season back in the EFL. L2 gets harder every year and we are evolving. We know where we need to improve. There are many rivals with lots of money. There is a long, long way to go.

Just bear that in mind, all you miserable f•cking wise *rses going ‘mid table fodder at best’, and ‘we’ve wasted a million pounds’ and ‘the owners should get their head out the sand’ and other similar crocks of sh1t.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 128
Azimuth
August 19, 2023, 6:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
This is not a good point, nor is it acceptable to think this is a good result at home, we were playing Mansfield Town not Man City.
Outplayed for 75 Mins at Blundell Park is simply not good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 128
Maringer
August 19, 2023, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,562
Gold Stars: 185
A strange game as we, in general, looked pretty comfortable for most of the first half, despite their pressure. I'm not sure if it was the heat or the gameplan, but it was odd that we basically just stood off them and only tried to put a challenge in at the last. I was pleased to hear in Hurst's post-match interview that we weren't sitting so deep after the goal (which was am absolute belter) due to instructions from the dugout, but it really was odd the way that we didn't really attempt to keep possession most of the time. Rose did well to challenge and won a lot of headers, but we rarely had anybody there to pick uptthe flicks so it was just gifting possession back to them again and again.

The second half was a bit bizarre in the way that they basically shook us up by starting to play it over the top for their forwards to run on to - but we didn't adapt! Hurst alluded to this in his interview as well. We ought to be used to teams playing it over the top, but it really seemed to catch us out A shocking goal to concede, especially as it came soon after we'd got away with one. Eastwood otherwise did fine in the game so a real shame his hesitation cost us a goal. The introduction of Pyke improved things for us as there was at least somebody around Rose to help out and give them something to think about.

One positive is that I thought we looked marginally the fresher during the last ten minutes or so when they started to give the ball away loosely for the first time. Unless we can add a bit more craft to the graft, we'll need to be fitter that our opponents most of the time.

I thought Conteh was a bit out of sorts today, truth be told, so I was surprised to see him awarded MotM. I'd have given it to Holohan who did well in midfield winning possession and linking play, had a good effort in the first half and would have had another chance in the second half of he hadn't been shoved over by their defender when through on goal!

Have the laws of the game changed, incidentally? They were handing us off like a rugby player throughout the game. Shoulder to shoulder is obviously OK, but you surely aren't allowed to put your hand in the middle of your opponents chest to push him away as he tries to get past you? Their big players did this time and again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 128
Azimuth
August 19, 2023, 6:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from ginnywings

As long as it takes if we keep progressing.

Let's see where we are after half a season and a Jan window for tweaks.

Does anyone see real progress or even signs of progress, we are bang average at best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 128
mimma
August 19, 2023, 6:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Just a bit of perspective,  Wrexham have let in 10 goals in two home games. Listening to some on here you would think we have as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 128
jamesgtfc
August 19, 2023, 6:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,991
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from It Bites

We will never have THAT money again, but there is no reason to suggest that we won't have some other football fortune roll in. For starters, last seasons cup money is stretched over the 2-3 year contracts we have been giving out. If Conteh continues to shine, he could fetch more than last seasons cup income.

We may have exited the League Cup early this season, but we could also do alright in the FA Cup again this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 6:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Azimuth

Does anyone see real progress or even signs of progress, we are bang average at best.

Yes, me.

Thanks for asking.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 128
chaos33
August 19, 2023, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Mate, don’t give cherries to pigs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 128
sonofmadeleymariner
August 19, 2023, 6:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Or maybe Mansfield stopped us going 2 or 3 up because they were better than us once they got to grips with the game.

Some people seem to forget there is another team on the pitch, who also want to get forward and score goals.

Yep and Hurst lets them, he doesn't attack teams and the few times he does are the times when we are the better side. Just like in the Salford game midweek, we attacked them for 90 minutes and didn't let them back in once bar one or two moments, compared to today, we attacked Mansfield at the start and didn't let them have the ball when they did get the ball we harassed them and their passing was poor and all over the place (same for the County game when we pressed and harrassed them) we scored and then slowly drifted deeper and deeper for the next 20 minutes, let them back in and then let them control the game for the next 70. Hurst is toothless. If there was ever a game to go at Mansfield it was today, we're the home side, at practically full strength and they were weakened and showing it at the start, but thats fine, we'll have another season with what? 6 home wins all season.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 128
August 19, 2023, 6:53pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

And you know this how?

Post of the week for me.
Reply: 42 - 128
GtfcGarner
August 19, 2023, 6:54pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
Thought Mansfield was excellent on both showing I’ve seen them and should be what we should be aspiring to be. Not seen a L2 club knock it round like that probably since David Artells Crewe team. They are simply a better footballing team than us and sometimes it’s a bitter pill to swallow and admit but they’ve had this seasons in the making.

We will play better in the future and end up losing games that’s just how it is, another day Mansfield could have had 3 or 4. Let’s take the point against a good team who will be up there and move on to Walsall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 128
Northbank Mariner
August 19, 2023, 6:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,495
Gold Stars: 171
Why can't some accept that Mansfield were plain and simply better than us...
A team that has been together for 3 years now, have a style of play embedded into them that the execute perfectly.
We are a new team, players still getting to grips with each other, but it will take time, and I'll say this now, Rodgers is class, far better than league 2, actually better than Flint who is supposed to be the best centre back in the league.
We need Maher back, for as much as I like Waterfall, I do think his race is run as a lg2 footballer, great with his head, courageous but his bloody woeful with his feet and turns slower than an oil tanker!.
I'm not convinced we'll be anymore than mid table this season, and we won't face many teams, if any, as schooled as Mansfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 128
quebec38
August 19, 2023, 7:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,587
Gold Stars: 48
Mansfield look like a good side and play some expansive stuff with runners all over the place. We weren’t awful, we defended well but I thought they were the better side today and after scoring we struggled to control the game for any length of time.

Happy with a point tonight.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 128
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2023, 7:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
A team that has been together for 3 years now, have a style of play embedded into them that the execute perfectly.
We are a new team, players still getting to grips with each other, but it will take time, and I'll say this now, Rodgers is class, far better than league 2, actually better than Flint who is supposed to be the best centre back in the league.
We need Maher back, for as much as I like Waterfall, I do think his race is run as a lg2 footballer, great with his head, courageous but his bloody woeful with his feet and turns slower than an oil tanker!.
I'm not convinced we'll be anymore than mid table this season, and we won't face many teams, if any, as schooled as Mansfield.

Absolutely correct about Luke Waterfall. I love the guy to bits but he makes us play far deeper because of his lack of pace. Niall Maher can’t come back soon enough.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 128
Limerick Mariner
August 19, 2023, 7:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Not a lot really to add to the sensible posts above - they will be up there come end of the season, the stats show they’ve dominated possession every game this season. PH clearly had a plan not to get cut apart like they did to us last week. I continue to be impressed by our defensive signings and Conteh. Rose looks ok and would look better if we could get players closer to him in a bit of space. We have Wilson and Khan to come in. But we aren’t getting round the back of teams which is what I had hoped Eisa and Vernam would bring to us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 128
Plankton
August 19, 2023, 7:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
I think over the length of the season that point will look very decent. Mansfield will be up there.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 128
sonofmadeleymariner
August 19, 2023, 7:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Because they were only better than us, once we let them be better than us, those first 20 minutes when we attacked and harrassed them they barely got a kick of the ball and when they did they were panicked and rushed. Mansfield was only better than us when we stopped doing that, it was the same at County and we all saw what happened against Salford when we did it for 90 minutes

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 7:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Yep and Hurst lets them, he doesn't attack teams and the few times he does are the times when we are the better side. Just like in the Salford game midweek, we attacked them for 90 minutes and didn't let them back in once bar one or two moments, compared to today, we attacked Mansfield at the start and didn't let them have the ball when they did get the ball we harassed them and their passing was poor and all over the place (same for the County game when we pressed and harrassed them) we scored and then slowly drifted deeper and deeper for the next 20 minutes, let them back in and then let them control the game for the next 70. Hurst is toothless. If there was ever a game to go at Mansfield it was today, we're the home side, at practically full strength and they were weakened and showing it at the start, but thats fine, we'll have another season with what? 6 home wins all season.

Well he doesn't does he? Can't stop them would be more correct.

Unless and until people realise that there are other teams on the pitch, who also want to attack and score goals and win games, then you are going to spend a lot of your time disappointed and ranting on forums.

It's easy this footy management lark. All you have to do is stop the opposition from being better than you are. It's so simple.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 7:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Absolutely correct about Luke Waterfall. I love the guy to bits but he makes us play far deeper because of his lack of pace. Niall Maher can’t come back soon enough.

Yeah, we were saying the same. Thought PH might have brought on Efete when Luke got injured, either at centre back, or at right back with Mullarkey going across.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 128
chaos33
August 19, 2023, 7:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Because they were only better than us, once we let them be better than us, those first 20 minutes when we attacked and harrassed them they barely got a kick of the ball and when they did they were panicked and rushed. Mansfield was only better than us when we stopped doing that, it was the same at County and we all saw what happened against Salford when we did it for 90 minutes

*Newsflash*……you don’t get to just control every game just because you’re called Grimsby Town, you muppet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 128
sonofmadeleymariner
August 19, 2023, 7:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Unless and until people realise that there are other teams on the pitch, who also want to attack and score goals and win games, then you are going to spend a lot of your time disappointed and ranting on forums.

It's easy this footy management lark. All you have to do is stop the opposition from being better than you are. It's so simple.

He does, once again today instead of killing off a team at home while we were clearly on top with our high press and attacking style (which he has in him, we all saw in last time he relegated us to the conference) which we were for those first 20 minutes, he had us drop deep once agains to "DeFeNd tHe 1 NiL" and let them back in. Instead of going at teams for the kill he bends over drops his pants and lets teams have their way, it was the same in his first stint and it's the same in the second. Don't get me wrong he finds absolute gems of players Conteh and Rodger already look like player and young player of the season, but he has the tactical sense of a WW1 general, one plan over and over again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 128
LocalLadGTFC
August 19, 2023, 7:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137

He does, once again today instead of killing off a team at home while we were clearly on top with our high press and attacking style (which he has in him, we all saw in last time he relegated us to the conference) which we were for those first 20 minutes, he had us drop deep once agains to "DeFeNd tHe 1 NiL" and let them back in. Instead of going at teams for the kill he bends over drops his pants and lets teams have their way, it was the same in his first stint and it's the same in the second. Don't get me wrong he finds absolute gems of players Conteh and Rodger already look like player and young player of the season, but he has the tactical sense of a WW1 general, one plan over and over again.

You are putting the fact we got relegated on Hurst and not the sharp object stick sniffing sharp object Holloway? Jesus wept
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 128
Rodley Mariner
August 19, 2023, 7:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from ginnywings

And hope their manager missed that lesson at manager school. Otherwise you end up with something of an impasse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 128
Maringer
August 19, 2023, 7:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
If you'd listened to the post-match interview, you'd have heard Hurst say it most definitely wasn't the plan to sit back and defend after taking the lead. That's clearly what the players ended up doing but it wasn't under instruction.

Looked at to me that our team didn't think we were as good as them so sat back and defended by instinct. Unfortunately, it also meant we stopped trying to play football enough when we did have possession.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 7:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic

But you can't just kill off a team because you think we should. Football doesn't work like that.

They were head and shoulders better than us from the 15th minute and it had nothing to do with anything Hurst could control.

Did he give the players a signal to drop off and be defensive from the 15th minute?

The answer is no by the way.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 128
Rodley Mariner
August 19, 2023, 7:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239

Don't take this the wrong way but every time we don't win you come across like a petulant simpleton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 128
chaos33
August 19, 2023, 7:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Jesus. How long g have you been watching sport fella - a week? Get real.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 128
headingly_mariner
August 19, 2023, 7:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,381

We were much the better side for 20 minutes. We flat out pressed them in the heat.
Hopefully as the season goes on we will be able to sustain it.
We've played some good teams and look a good side ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 128
sonofmadeleymariner
August 19, 2023, 7:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

You are putting the fact we got relegated on Hurst and not the sharp object stick sniffing sharp object Holloway? Jesus wept

Well I mean i think we were about 6 or 7 spots above relegation before he arrived and then bottom after he did and changed the entire squad, I mean the evidence is right there...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 128
sonofmadeleymariner
August 19, 2023, 7:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

*Newsflash*……you don’t get to just control every game just because you’re called Grimsby Town, you muppet.

No, but evidence suggests when we play a certain way we certainly do you fool.

Wimblkedon - sat deep
Mansfield - sat deep
County - started press retreated after scoring twice
Salford - pressed for 90 mins
Mansfield - started press retreated after scoring

I know its hard for you to see with your head so far up Hurst bottom but the evidence is clear

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 7:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Well I mean i think we were about 6 or 7 spots above relegation before he arrived and then bottom after he did and changed the entire squad, I mean the evidence is right there...

Go and have a few beers and chill out.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 128
pontoonlew
August 19, 2023, 7:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
If we were a racehorse you’d be looking at our form and be saying that it’s worked out well. Done pretty well against sides who’ve themselves had very good starts.

It doesn’t get much easier yet either, but to come through relatively unscathed so far represents a pretty good start. I’m slightly concerned at how little we’re creating still though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 128
Northbank Mariner
August 19, 2023, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,495
Gold Stars: 171

It's quite obvious you don't like Hurst, that's your perogative, but he got us our highest league position since 2006 and made us the first team to beat 5 teams in a higher league whilst getting to the FA Cup quarter final, first time we've done that since 1939...so regardless of your hatred for him, he brings us relative success, and I'll take that over a dour 1-1 against one of time best lg2 teams you're likely to see this season..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 128
sonofmadeleymariner
August 19, 2023, 7:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
If you'd listened to the post-match interview, you'd have heard Hurst say it most definitely wasn't the plan to sit back and defend after taking the lead. That's clearly what the players ended up doing but it wasn't under instruction.

Looked at to me that our team didn't think we were as good as them so sat back and defended by instinct. Unfortunately, it also meant we stopped trying to play football enough when we did have possession.

He says this every time we do, but strangely we always do it. He lies to cover his own bottom when it goes against him. After we beat Salford he said he thought we were better at county and when asked if players looked more comfortable in their positions today playing higher up the park he said they didn't

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 128
grimsby pete
August 19, 2023, 7:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
I can not believe the gloom merchants on here .

Look we have played 3 home games won 1 drawn 2 let in 1 goal .

Just played one of the best sides in our division and some are still not happy.

I said after our 1st game don't judge the team until we have played 10 or more games.

Yes we all like to win most games but it does not happen just ask Wrexham fans.

They are finding things a bit different now they are back in the league.

With all their better paid players they are no better than us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 128
ginnywings

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from pontoonlew
If we were a racehorse you’d be looking at our form and be saying that it’s worked out well. Done pretty well against sides who’ve themselves had very good starts.

It doesn’t get much easier yet either, but to come through relatively unscathed so far represents a pretty good start. I’m slightly concerned at how little we’re creating still though.

Pretty good summation, and one I'd agree with.

Scored 5 goals in a week though, which suggests that we are taking our chances at a higher rate than last season, because as you say, we aren't yet creating loads.

Promising start for me.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 128
sonofmadeleymariner
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Don't take this the wrong way but every time we don't win you come across like a petulant simpleton.

And I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but unfortunately, happy clappers like yourselves can't see what's plainly evident with your heads so far up Hurst bottom

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 7:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic

And I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but unfortunately, happy clappers like yourselves can't see what's plainly evident with your heads so far up Hurst bottom

Other views are available.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 128
HerveJosse
August 19, 2023, 8:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from mimma
Just a bit of perspective,  Wrexham have let in 10 goals in two home games. Listening to some on here you would think we have as well

And scored 8 must be bloody boring being a Wrexham fan

I bet there fans are all on their forum saying if only we had Paul Hurst as manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 128
Mappers
August 19, 2023, 8:21pm
Champagne Drinker
I don't think that many are 'happy clappers ' .

More of a realisation of where we find ourselves .

Do I love Paul Hursts footballing style ?

Not particularly

Do I see it giving us a solid season ?

Absolutely ,with a decent  outside chance of the play-offs .

I think there is more to come from the current group , in terms of good football , but to think a Hurst team is ever going to play like Barcelona or even Mansfield is wishful thinking IMO .

If we get through these first 10 with a few wins , draws and defeats it's a reasonable start - if the following 10 games we don't put a few of these perceived strugglers to the sword it's the time to ask questions , as we have got better players than them and should win a good few games .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 128
chipsandgravy
August 19, 2023, 8:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +3,613

Christ almighty you do talk utter drivel. When i think you cant talk any more bollox you go and surprise me. There comes a time when you have to acknowledge that we played a much better team. Nothing to do with tactics -  Buckley often use to do it (ask your dad) and it didnt turn out too badly with him. Clough has had four seasons in this division to get them playing like that and I can assure you that wasnt always the case. They have made steady progress getting to this point with many changes of personell. I expect us to do the same. And by the way we took a point off them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 128
Grantley
August 19, 2023, 8:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,512
Gold Stars: 9

Say bottom one more time, I dare you.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 128
Bigdog
August 19, 2023, 8:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Possibly a win win all round today. Pick up a point, don't get beat, and at the same time Mansfield lay down a marker of what we need to be to have a chance of promotion. Two weeks of the window left, Hurst has got a bit of budget left and we've got a chairman that would like to get out of this division as quickly as possible..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 128
friskneymariner
August 19, 2023, 8:53pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Can anyne explain to me the logic of playingRose up front to knock it on when there is no-one there to knock it onto.It  was not skill that prevent us gettin all 3 points but tactics. if Rose is going to be used in the way he was today, he needs someone alongside him.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 128
TheultimateMariner
August 19, 2023, 8:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5

Get a grip you boring girl private

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 128
Teesknees
August 19, 2023, 8:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18

Ah, now I remember why I take no notice of your posts!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 128
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2023, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I’m a long, long way off being a happy clapper but, please try and be realistic! There are several new players who have improved us with a fully fit Pyke and Wilson to come. Hopefully we get a couple of others too - a new left back, maybe a centre back and a goalscorer would be great.

As far as the manager is concerned, I’m not up his bottom, I didn’t wildly celebrate when he came back. But he’s earned the right to build a new team and the football is already better this season. Give it a chance.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 128
moosey_club
August 19, 2023, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings

For balance Ginny....we managed to be better or at least match/contain them comfortably for 45 mins.....we didn't dominate or assert ourselves once we had scored and I think that's the massive frustration with most.
I genuinely said at half time..."what do you reckon, they equalise at 60 mins then we make a change "?..
They effected the game positively when they needed to...we didn't anticipate or react until we had conceded...then it looked more like a "stop them" approach rather than a go win it approach.
Yes they were slick, moved it well but we didn't react quick enough to what they did and only really had two serious efforts on goal in 90 mins.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 128
fishcake63
August 19, 2023, 9:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Look back at this post in may but we definatly took a point off team that will be promoted , get real 4 points in these last two games to big spenders is a good reward , i get we 2nd best today but we conceded one goal , mansfield will thrash teams this season mark my words
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 9:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from moosey_club

For balance Ginny....we managed to be better or at least match/contain them comfortably for 45 mins.....we didn't dominate or assert ourselves once we had scored and I think that's the massive frustration with most.
I genuinely said at half time..."what do you reckon, they equalise at 60 mins then we make a change "?..
They effected the game positively when they needed to...we didn't anticipate or react until we had conceded...then it looked more like a "stop them" approach rather than a go win it approach.
Yes they were slick, moved it well but we didn't react quick enough to what they did and only really had two serious efforts on goal in 90 mins.

I think back to my playing days, when we came up against a superior team, and try as you might to impose your will, you could end up chasing shadows, with the game passing you by and feeling like the opposition had more men than you on the pitch.

Physically and mentally draining, and when you finally did get the ball, there was no options and possession soon turned over.

I honestly didn't feel we matched/contained them for 45 mins myself. I thought they were better from the 15th minute and getting better as the game wore on.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 128
moosey_club
August 19, 2023, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I think back to my playing days, when we came up against a superior team, and try as you might to impose your will, you could end up chasing shadows, with the game passing you by and feeling like the opposition had more men than you on the pitch.

Physically and mentally draining, and when you finally did get the ball, there was no options and possession soon turned over.

I honestly didn't feel we matched/contained them for 45 mins myself. I thought they were better from the 15th minute and getting better as the game wore on.

Tomato ...Tomaeto
if we had been battered or chasing the game before we scored I may agree...but we weren't...we were enforcing our style on the game....once we scored we stepped back...allowed them to grow into it.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 128
Lincspoacher
August 19, 2023, 9:38pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
I am not going to repeat what has been said about todays match, but after midweeks win, I was equally sceptical due to the lack of passing, cohesion and pace in the side.

What I want to highlight again is the issue in the centre of midfield. Time after time again today, their centre mids came to the defence to receive the ball to feet under pressure and backed their technique to receive it and distribute it quickly.

Not only do we lack this ability with Clifton in there (he just legs it up front forcing long balls) but we also lack the movements we saw today from the opposition to ensure those receiving it have options.

Holohan has good ability but is also
not collecting and linking up play either.

Hunt started the season with the remit to provide this, but kept coming for the ball, collecting it and gave it away 2/3 times in dangerous places - hence his recent ommissions.

Until we can pass and keep the ball and progress thro the phases whilst retaining possession, we will continue to be a team that survives on scraps of possession and relies on worldy goals, mistakes or the occasional 3 or 4 pass break.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 128
LondonMariner43
August 19, 2023, 10:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,957
Gold Stars: 64
It’s clear from the PH interview that he sees this team as WIP and he is confident he can get more out of them.  Although we kept a lot of players from last season, most of the first team is new signings and on 2-3 year contracts.  It’s clear PH thinks he can get these players to be successful but it’s not going to happen in 4 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 128
Mariner93er
August 19, 2023, 10:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,737
Gold Stars: 28
I'd like to see Mullarkey in centre back in place of Waterfall with Efete coming into right back. Mullarkey is clearly a class act but it's noticeable that we struggle to create down the right side as he's not a pure right back and tends to default to cutting back inside. Plus, as others have said, Waterfall is below the quality we need now, and Mullarkey and Rodgers could be a very strong pairing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 128
grimps
August 19, 2023, 10:05pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,130
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Can anyone be arsed to buy a season ticket just in case we become half decent in a couple of years ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 128
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2023, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimps

Can anyone be arsed to buy a season ticket just in case we become half decent in a couple of years ?

Christ on a bike. If everyone waited for us to be successful, the club would be dead by now. I can’t profess to being a permanent ST holder, but I reckon I’ve done at least 20 in the 55 years I’ve been going - most of them since 2000 - hardly the glory years.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 128
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 19, 2023, 10:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
A lot of posts but not much critique tonight as the different factions vent their spleen.

Hard to disagree with anyone as I think all in attendance acknowledge that Mansfield were the better team but surprisingly for all their possession and passing ability they caused us most problems by a big boot over the top proving it is a funny old game and that there are many ways of playing it.

Did we deserve a point? Don’t really care we got one and I feel in building up Mansfield some have overlooked in the first half that in addition to the goal, Holohan had a superb shot well saved, Clifton only had to deflect a hard hit shot on target to score and another one of our players also could have turned in a knock down header just before half time, so we did have opportunities. Second half pretty much nothing and a couple of concerns for me are that we still lack any real pace in getting forward with neither of the wide players particularly quick. Rose is, IMO, being asked to do too much and consequently he tires and drifts out the game second half. I also wish he would stay on his feet a little more often and just hold the ball. Yes he takes a lot of knocks but sometimes we lose decent possession as he prefers to go down rather than hold the ball and lay it off.

I have seen all the league games to date and I am still puzzled as to what role Clifton is supposed to be undertaking but thought today he looked well out side of his comfort zone and spent his afternoon chasing shadows. Not sure what Khouri needs to do to get some minutes but feel his introduction on the left side of midfield second half would have allowed us to compete better in the centre of the field.

Like others disappointed with our second half and whilst Conteh struggled a little second half, thought he was fighting the battle of his own at times, I feel he Rodgers and Eastwood are all excellent signings and give us a real spine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 128
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2023, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
A lot of posts but not much critique tonight as the different factions vent their spleen.

Hard to disagree with anyone as I think all in attendance acknowledge that Mansfield were the better team but surprisingly for all their possession and passing ability they caused us most problems by a big boot over the top proving it is a funny old game and that there are many ways of playing it.

Did we deserve a point? Don’t really care we got one and I feel in building up Mansfield some have overlooked in the first half that in addition to the goal, Holohan had a superb shot well saved, Clifton only had to deflect a hard hit shot on target to score and another one of our players also could have turned in a knock down header just before half time, so we did have opportunities. Second half pretty much nothing and a couple of concerns for me are that we still lack any real pace in getting forward with neither of the wide players particularly quick. Rose is, IMO, being asked to do too much and consequently he tires and drifts out the game second half. I also wish he would stay on his feet a little more often and just hold the ball. Yes he takes a lot of knocks but sometimes we lose decent possession as he prefers to go down rather than hold the ball and lay it off.

I have seen all the league games to date and I am still puzzled as to what role Clifton is supposed to be undertaking but thought today he looked well out side of his comfort zone and spent his afternoon chasing shadows. Not sure what Khouri needs to do to get some minutes but feel his introduction on the left side of midfield second half would have allowed us to compete better in the centre of the field.

Like others disappointed with our second half and whilst Conteh struggled a little second half, thought he was fighting the battle of his own at times, I feel he Rodgers and Eastwood are all excellent signings and give us a real spine.

Their 25, Reed was moving the ball about beautifully, just as we would probably want Hunt to do but, again, our movement isn’t good enough. Too many stand and wait for the ball to come rather than make people’s minds up. I’m still convinced that it’s a coaching issue, off the ball movement is pretty fundamental.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 128
diehardmariner
August 19, 2023, 10:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,636
Gold Stars: 539
The draw with Mansfield sees us still a point behind them in the table.

Come the end of the season I'll be absolutely delighted if we're a point behind them! They were the best league side I've seen here for yonks!

In excrement conditions they stroked it round like they were playing on a billiards table. But do you know what, there was times when we passed it around them too! Difference is that they had an another effective option by going long when needed.

Mansfield are established. It's clear they know how to work together, we don't (yet).  Across the whole pitch there's new pairings and understandings that are developing. It'll happen but it takes time.

I thought we lacked creativity today and I still think Hurst needs to let them off the leash a little. But against a side as good as Mansfield, I can forgive him showing caution.  Football is a game of fine margins yet if Eastwood doesn't make the error for the goal we arguably come away with 3 points.

For all the talk of enjoying Conteh before he gets snapped up, I think we might find Rodgers has interested suitors before long. He was superb today.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 128
mariner91
August 19, 2023, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Football is really pretty easy isn’t it? All you have to do is impose your own best on the opposition all the time and at no point will they try to combat it or play around it. Doesn’t matter how good they are or what their manager plans to do. Then you win. Simple stuff for simple minds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 128
male private Nale
August 19, 2023, 11:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Quoted from grimsby pete
I can not believe the gloom merchants on here .

Look we have played 3 home games won 1 drawn 2 let in 1 goal .

Just played one of the best sides in our division and some are still not happy.

I said after our 1st game don't judge the team until we have played 10 or more games.

Yes we all like to win most games but it does not happen just ask Wrexham fans.

They are finding things a bit different now they are back in the league.

With all their better paid players they are no better than us.

Would hold your thoughts a little longer on Wrexham as I remember everyone saying similar after Stockport's start compared to ours this time last season. It isn't how you start a season it is how you finish one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 128
HarrogateMariner
August 19, 2023, 11:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from LondonMariner43
It’s clear from the PH interview that he sees this team as WIP and he is confident he can get more out of them.  Although we kept a lot of players from last season, most of the first team is new signings and on 2-3 year contracts.  It’s clear PH thinks he can get these players to be successful but it’s not going to happen in 4 games.

Exactly this. We are 4 games in. It will take time for everything to come together. Some will not like it but since promotion we have played 50 league 2 matches. Without the finance the likes of Wrexham and Stockport have, for a club like ours, it is highly unlikely we walk to promotion after such a short time in the league. It's all about small improvements bit by bit. Some of you won't accept this but it's the reality, and you can bet your house this will be the main message behind the scenes from the board to Hurst.

One other thing to add- again not a popular opinion for many, but the first target is survival. Obviously a long way to go, but already I feel very confident we will be far from away from a relegation battle. Not saying we should just settle for this - far from it, but it's always dangerous to wish for something else when there is a potential far worse outcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 128
tashee69
August 20, 2023, 12:31am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +959
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Azimuth
This is not a good point, nor is it acceptable to think this is a good result at home, we were playing Mansfield Town not Man City.
Outplayed for 75 Mins at Blundell Park is simply not good enough.

And people need to realise that we are not Man City either
We’ve spent 7 of the last 13 seasons in non league, due to mismanagement. We are not going to get back to the championship in a few seasons. It’s going to take time.
The same old posters would still be moaning if we got back there and wasn’t hammering teams week in week out.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 128
Hagrid
August 20, 2023, 1:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,433
Gold Stars: 536

You know nothing of what Hurst is or isnt. You know we have no divine right to dominate a game dont you?

I wasnt there today but I took a 1-1 draw as a good point, come on here and its a meltdown. Embarrasing
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 128
CSLM
August 20, 2023, 2:41am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Hagrid

You know nothing of what Hurst is or isnt. You know we have no divine right to dominate a game dont you?

I wasnt there today but I took a 1-1 draw as a good point, come on here and its a meltdown. Embarrasing

It is a good point.
Clearly we were second best and lucky not to lose the game but it isn't surprising. They have quality throughout.

We have lots of things that we can improve on but we are clearly better than last season. To Those questioning if we'll have this kind of budget again I'd say yes we will. 2 or 3 of the signings are worth far more than what we paid already.

I do agree there is a concern that we don't create enough.
Rose is quality but needs some help.
Usually I think we need to go for it a bit more but today we just about got it right, well as we got away with it just about.

1 win, 2 draws, 1 defeat against the teams we have played is nothing to be sniffed at. Definitely areas that need work but we are progressing and we have some real quality now.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season, very competitive league, who knows.............?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 128
lukeo
August 20, 2023, 3:47am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,378
Gold Stars: 149
Very good point against a team that should and probably will be battling it out for the top 3 spots.
I felt overall everyone did their jobs well, Waterfall the only 1 in my opinion that looked a bit off the pace. He's a good league 2 player but he will struggle against the better sides in the league.
Conteh wasn't as fluent as he has been but he's set such a high standard yet he probably still gets my motm. I felt holohan played well also.
Overall I think it was a good point. Yes they dominated very large periods but come May I think this isn't a game we will look back on and feel it was 2 points dropped.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 128
DB
August 20, 2023, 6:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
12 days ago we played Mansfield in a cup game and was dreadful by most accounts. I managed to make the game yesterday and was not expecting what happened. Normally we have been slow starters but was quick off the blocks and took the lead with a cracking goal which would have had Lineker & co drooling.

In those first 20 mins, we were in ascendance but Mansfield slowly crawled back into the game. They came out stronger in the second half, no doubt motivated by Clough, but we matched them only to give away a ridiculous goal. 1-1 was on balance a fair result but I think that once our team has a few more games together to gel then we will be a force in League 2.

Mansfield are one of the hot favourites for promotion and we more or less matched them, so we have everything to look forward to and nobody to fear.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 128
LondonMariner43
August 20, 2023, 7:43am
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,957
Gold Stars: 64
It’s reasonable to expect that Maher would have played if fit.  Also, Wilson and Khan would have been in the squad and might have added something.  Hopefully we will have a fully fit squad at some point - something we rarely had last season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 128
lew chaterleys lover
August 20, 2023, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Mansfield are one of the few sides who have built a very good side over time in this league. If we are going down that route I assume we will sign less players each window but spend more on them to get the requisite level required, which is a good thing.

What is a concern is how much it is going to cost over time to even compete at the top end of League 2, or division 4 in old money. I just don’t see how we would do that without substantial investment into the club. You can only get so far and maybe at a rather slow pace unless extra investment is found. And that is just for the team; the stadium needs a huge upgrade as well.

It would be interesting to know how the owners are going to get the extra investment into the club which is obviously required if we are ever to threaten League 1.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 128
Croxton
August 20, 2023, 10:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,018
Gold Stars: 33
Having seen the cup game at Mansfield it was clearly a point gained yesterday. Even with a stack of recent injuries Mansfield were able to field a superior squad given the strong base from previous seasons.

By contrast, we are still blending a new bunch with the rump of the last campaign. The equaliser was no surprise as we struggled to gain and then retain possession. Defending from the front is not in our DNA. Gnahoua has to be stronger when receiving a ball by the touchline just before their goal. We saw how Mansfield players were shoving arms into chests and using their bodies to shield the ball.

Their goal looked bad from our CB's and keeper angles but Oates is much more of an oven ready sub than Pyke is for Town. Mansfield just had more cards to play than ourselves at this stage of our development. We should get better but like our signings it will be a hit and miss season unless we can look after the ball more effectively.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 128
pkscouse
August 20, 2023, 12:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +66
Gold Stars: 3
Why the meltdown on here ............we have taken points from teams currently 3rd 5th and 10th and lost to a team in 9th

Some people need to take a raincheck  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 128
ska face
August 20, 2023, 1:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,664
Gold Stars: 847

What is a concern is how much it is going to cost over time to even compete at the top end of League 2, or division 4 in old money. I just don’t see how we would do that without substantial investment into the club. You can only get so far and maybe at a rather slow pace unless extra investment is found. And that is just for the team; the stadium needs a huge upgrade as well.

This is Mansfield’s 10th consecutive season in League 2, after finishing as conference Champions in 12/13. Since we returned to the league in 16/17, we have finished above them only once. Their last 8 finishing positions have been -

8th L2
7th L2 (playoff final)
16th L2
21st L2
4th L2 (playoff semi)
8th L2
12th L2
12th L2

Whereas ours have been

11th L2
6th Conference
24th (last) L2
15th L2
17th L2
18th L2
14th L2
4th Conference

Not sure if it’s a bit of an identity thing, but have we always been a yo-yo club? Can anyone remember the last time we had 10 consecutive seasons in the same division? Whether anyone likes it or not, it appears that the owners want an end to the boom-and-bust in favour of general stability with incremental improvement. I’m not sure the fan base has it in them to stomach that, there’s not a great deal of patience about.

Clough took over at Mansfield in mid 20/21 and left them in 16th. They then didn’t win in their first 12 matches of 21/22. Not sure what it was like at Field Mill, but if that was Hurst here there’d be murder on.

Over time, maybe it does take 10 years in L2 with a few playoff and cup runs thrown in to build a squad capable of challenging, unless something miraculous happens or someone throws a wedge at it?
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 128
Limerick Mariner
August 20, 2023, 1:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Approval: +5,704
Quoted from pkscouse
Why the meltdown on here ............we have taken points from teams currently 3rd 5th and 10th and lost to a team in 9th

Some people need to take a raincheck  

Notts had their keeper sent off in the first game. They have completely dominated possession in league games since. A bet double on Notts and Mansfield to go up is a pretty good bet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 128
marinerjase
August 20, 2023, 1:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,656
Gold Stars: 147
Not a chance Notts C go up..imho. They’ll get found out sooner rather than later. Can’t defend like they do and get away with it over a season.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 128
Maringer
August 20, 2023, 1:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The Sutton fan we knows said County should have been a few goals down even before they went down to ten men. Their defence was apparently hopeless on that first day and wasn't great against us. With 4 promotion spots available, I suppose you've got more chance of going up in this division, even if you're shaky in defence, but most teams who win promotion are reasonably tight at the back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 128
wigworld
August 20, 2023, 2:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from ska face

Not sure if it’s a bit of an identity thing, but have we always been a yo-yo club?  

THis article's from 2016, but yes we are a yo-yo club. https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....elegations-knowledge
Hopefully the new ownership will give us a bit more stability though.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 108 - 128
Mariner_09
August 20, 2023, 7:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Maringer
The Sutton fan we knows said County should have been a few goals down even before they went down to ten men. Their defence was apparently hopeless on that first day and wasn't great against us. With 4 promotion spots available, I suppose you've got more chance of going up in this division, even if you're shaky in defence, but most teams who win promotion are reasonably tight at the back.

And that’s why I’m not getting despondent. We’ve still kept things quite tight, as Hurst’s sides always do. We’re less random than Wrexham or Notts County, clearly more clinical than Mansfield in terms of chances but probably lower on absolute footballing quality than all of them.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 128
diehardmariner
August 21, 2023, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
I agree on Mansfield but County and Wrexham less so.

County have an identity and they ping it about very well. But I also think they're not quite good enough to adopt the style of play they want, especially at the back.  Bostock is a very good player at this level and he finally seems to have got his head screwed on, McGoldrick is ridiculously good for this level and there's a selection of very good footballers in their side too.  But their defence look vulnerable as hell when trying to play it out across the back.  It'll be their downfall this year.  We passed it about quite nicely last week there too at times. I came away thinking we lacked an edge and need to cut out defensive lapses, but didn't think we were outclassed.

Wrexham?  Obviously we've yet to see them in the flesh but if we're talking purely footballing quality then I'm far, far from convinced by them. I know last year they went less direct and used Elliott Lee as their creator in chief, but of the clips I've seen this year (arguably due to the loss of Mullin) they look to have reverted back to type.   They're free-scoring, again, but also, again, leaky as hell at the back.  As per County, it'll cost them this season.  In the Conference they could get away with conceding 3 or 4 as their firepower was just that superior to everyone else.  But in this league it won't wash most weeks....Until they replace Parkinson I can't see them at the top end of the table.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 128
sam gy
August 21, 2023, 11:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
It’s frustrating when you’re actually at the match and barely seeing any chances or creativity (in the 2nd half at least), but the next day or so it doesn’t seem a bad point at all.

We have what must be the toughest start in the league….if we can get past this opening stage of the season in an OK shape, then by the time we get to some more ‘winnable’ games on paper, we’ll hopefully have a team that has gelled better.

We simply can’t compete with so many teams in this league, financially. And that makes it difficult. We will often have to keep it tight to get through some games. It’s either that or risk getting battered and I know what I’d rather see.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 128
diehardmariner
August 21, 2023, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
There's an argument that attack is the best form of defence too, something I think Hurst often doesn't employ as an approach.  That said, I do think he got it right on Saturday.

My main concern is how isolated Rose looks, despite the best efforts of the likes of Holohan to support him.  Not having the option of using Pyke for longer and Wilson unavailable is limiting him a bit. If he wanted to go with 2 up top he can't really do it, not for long periods anyway.

Hindsight is wonderful but the more I see of Rose the more I think he would benefit from acting as the link-man to another proper striker.  I know a lot of people have said they see him more as a No 10 than a 9, but I think he's still best served as what we might class as the 9 but just have someone closer to him who is there to pick up the bits and be clinical.  The hindsight element is someone like Orsi.  I could almost see them two working a little like how Orsi worked with Lloyd at the back end of the season.  Be interesting once Pyke is up to fitness and Wilson is back.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 128
chaos33
August 21, 2023, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Agree with you about Rose dhm, and I also agree with you about Wrexham. I think they might be turned over, especially away from home, by some of the better teams. Not saying they won’t be top 7 competitive but not sure they’ll be top 3 with that squad and manager. I think there is a common element of underestimation of the general level of quality and competition in L2. There are plenty on here guilty of it and whose sense of realism/pragmatism is trumped by their inflated sense of expectation and entitlement.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 128
Maringer
August 21, 2023, 12:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I think that when we were promoted out of the Conference the last time, there wasn't as much between the two divisions as there seems to be now. When we were trying to win promotion the first time around, the teams which went up quite often won a second promotion immediately afterwards or at least made the play-offs. We certainly didn't seem to face too many teams who were rubbish last season (though we were ourselves hit and miss in the league).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 128
diehardmariner
August 21, 2023, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Yeah the quality in this league has massively improved in the last decade or so.

When we came up in 2016 I felt there was an argument for two equal leagues rather than a fourth and fifth tier, maybe even a Div 4 North/South such was the much about muchness between the leagues.

League Two now though is ridiculously competitive, maybe a few exceptional teams and a few extremely poor ones at each end of the scale.  It's not enough to just walk through the Conference and think that'll carry you straight through for a back-to-back promotion.

You don't sign the players that Wrexham do and not be a decent team.  I think they've got a very good squad but that's probably not going to enough alone.  You've got to be consistently very, very good to get out of this league.  That's why the four teams who went up last year did so, they were consistently capable of doing what it took to get results.   Not convinced either of the promoted sides have that in them right now.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 128
DB
August 21, 2023, 3:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yeah the quality in this league has massively improved in the last decade or so.

When we came up in 2016 I felt there was an argument for two equal leagues rather than a fourth and fifth tier, maybe even a Div 4 North/South such was the much about muchness between the leagues.

League Two now though is ridiculously competitive, maybe a few exceptional teams and a few extremely poor ones at each end of the scale.  It's not enough to just walk through the Conference and think that'll carry you straight through for a back-to-back promotion.

You don't sign the players that Wrexham do and not be a decent team.  I think they've got a very good squad but that's probably not going to enough alone.  You've got to be consistently very, very good to get out of this league.  That's why the four teams who went up last year did so, they were consistently capable of doing what it took to get results.   Not convinced either of the promoted sides have that in them right now.

Stevenage are doing ok this year, but Orient and Carlisle are struggling with Northampton not far above them.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 128
nealeardleyscrossing
August 21, 2023, 4:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
I think Northampton will be fine, even though we threw away a 2 goal lead against them, they were good, I think they will find their feet, their last 2 results perhaps show that, against us and Posh. I think Leyton Orient and Carlisle will struggle. Steve Evans will see Stevenage safe, he's not my cup of tea, but he can clearly put a team together.

I am always quite surprised with your new regime, community initiatives under your new regime, that you haven't looked at the Cowley's, love them or loathe them, they are good managers and would get you out of this league in my opinion. I personally don't think Hurst will - too pragmatic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 128
Mariner_09
August 21, 2023, 4:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
I think Northampton will be fine, even though we threw away a 2 goal lead against them, they were good, I think they will find their feet, their last 2 results perhaps show that, against us and Posh. I think Leyton Orient and Carlisle will struggle. Steve Evans will see Stevenage safe, he's not my cup of tea, but he can clearly put a team together.

I am always quite surprised with your new regime, community initiatives under your new regime, that you haven't looked at the Cowley's, love them or loathe them, they are good managers and would get you out of this league in my opinion. I personally don't think Hurst will - too pragmatic.

If you're saying Hurst is too pragmatic, what does that make Cowley? The Cowleys embody pragmatism, it was all functional football that was pretty unattractive, allied to mastering the dark arts.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 128
sam gy
August 21, 2023, 4:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Well, we haven't looked at the Cowleys because we haven't been in need of a manager.

You don't just get rid of someone who, in two full seasons, has got us promoted and then lead us to our highest league finish in nearly 20 years, and the quarter final of an FA cup.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 128
bradzmilne
August 21, 2023, 5:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,427
Quoted from sam gy
Well, we haven't looked at the Cowleys because we haven't been in need of a manager.

You don't just get rid of someone who, in two full seasons, has got us promoted and then lead us to our highest league finish in nearly 20 years, and the quarter final of an FA cup.

For what it’s worth, I think at some point we will have the Cowley brothers at the helm.

Unsure why, just think our paths are destined to cross.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 128
It Bites
August 21, 2023, 5:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from bradzmilne

For what it’s worth, I think at some point we will have the Cowley brothers at the helm.

Absolutely and sooner than some might think
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 128
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 21, 2023, 5:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Quoted from bradzmilne

Ex Lincoln player under the Cowley’s, who enjoyed promotion and cup run with them, not too complimentary about their tactics and team talks ( some very bizarre like dividing areas of the pitch up into different chocolate brands “ get into Twix and avoid Kit Kat”) and clearly they haven’t had much success since leaving the Chimps so it’s a no from me, not that we are looking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 128
bradzmilne
August 21, 2023, 6:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,427

Ex Lincoln player under the Cowley’s, who enjoyed promotion and cup run with them, not too complimentary about their tactics and team talks ( some very bizarre like dividing areas of the pitch up into different chocolate brands “ get into Twix and avoid Kit Kat”) and clearly they haven’t had much success since leaving the Chimps so it’s a no from me, not that we are looking.

Like I say, it’s based purely on nothing but a gut feeling.

Took the Huddersfield job post Lincoln while they was experiencing their Premier League hangover… That was always going to be a difficult job for anyone.

Then went to Pompey and had an above 50% win percentage.

Have also been continuously praised for their innovative methods & have a knack for winning.

Hopefully, it’s a long way away before we have to think about Hurst's successor. However, I’d suspect unemployed these would be high on our wanted list - when that day comes

UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 128
moosey_club
August 21, 2023, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker

That chocolate bar trick was purely to get Matt Rhead to run around in training

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 128
1mickylyons
August 22, 2023, 7:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
I used to love giving Rhead stick BUT he was a very effective striker in the National League in particular big strong and held the ball up bringing others in to play. If him and Hearn had played together up top that would have been some partnership to watch Regarding the Cowley boys I know the Imps love em and understandably so but I  always thought it was their take on long ball % football. Not for me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 128
lew chaterleys lover
August 22, 2023, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Rightly or wrongly depending on your viewpoint the owners trust Hurst implicitly and unless disaster strikes (relegation) I can see him becoming the longest serving manager at one club in the football league.

Admittedly the churn of managers is ridiculous so it wouldn't be the honour it once was, but the owners say they trust Hurst on the football side whilst they concentrate on the business and that seems a good model to follow.

We all hope it works out but I think personally there will have to be off field plans made public if we are to keep fans involved in the "project" as this league will be harder to get promoted from than some envisaged, me included.
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 128
sam gy
August 22, 2023, 11:37am
Cocktail Drinker
For what it's worth, i think Hurst's achievement of getting Shrewsbury to a league one playoff final trumps anything the Cowley's have achieved so far.

Time will tell if he's the man to hopefully get us out of league 2!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 128
wuffing
August 22, 2023, 12:16pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
For what it's worth the Cowley sides remind me of that team down South from a few years ago......Thugs United

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 128
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.