Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,071 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2023, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
A lot of posts but not much critique tonight as the different factions vent their spleen.

Hard to disagree with anyone as I think all in attendance acknowledge that Mansfield were the better team but surprisingly for all their possession and passing ability they caused us most problems by a big boot over the top proving it is a funny old game and that there are many ways of playing it.

Did we deserve a point? Don’t really care we got one and I feel in building up Mansfield some have overlooked in the first half that in addition to the goal, Holohan had a superb shot well saved, Clifton only had to deflect a hard hit shot on target to score and another one of our players also could have turned in a knock down header just before half time, so we did have opportunities. Second half pretty much nothing and a couple of concerns for me are that we still lack any real pace in getting forward with neither of the wide players particularly quick. Rose is, IMO, being asked to do too much and consequently he tires and drifts out the game second half. I also wish he would stay on his feet a little more often and just hold the ball. Yes he takes a lot of knocks but sometimes we lose decent possession as he prefers to go down rather than hold the ball and lay it off.

I have seen all the league games to date and I am still puzzled as to what role Clifton is supposed to be undertaking but thought today he looked well out side of his comfort zone and spent his afternoon chasing shadows. Not sure what Khouri needs to do to get some minutes but feel his introduction on the left side of midfield second half would have allowed us to compete better in the centre of the field.

Like others disappointed with our second half and whilst Conteh struggled a little second half, thought he was fighting the battle of his own at times, I feel he Rodgers and Eastwood are all excellent signings and give us a real spine.

Their 25, Reed was moving the ball about beautifully, just as we would probably want Hunt to do but, again, our movement isn’t good enough. Too many stand and wait for the ball to come rather than make people’s minds up. I’m still convinced that it’s a coaching issue, off the ball movement is pretty fundamental.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 128
diehardmariner
August 19, 2023, 10:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,637
Gold Stars: 539
The draw with Mansfield sees us still a point behind them in the table.

Come the end of the season I'll be absolutely delighted if we're a point behind them! They were the best league side I've seen here for yonks!

In excrement conditions they stroked it round like they were playing on a billiards table. But do you know what, there was times when we passed it around them too! Difference is that they had an another effective option by going long when needed.

Mansfield are established. It's clear they know how to work together, we don't (yet).  Across the whole pitch there's new pairings and understandings that are developing. It'll happen but it takes time.

I thought we lacked creativity today and I still think Hurst needs to let them off the leash a little. But against a side as good as Mansfield, I can forgive him showing caution.  Football is a game of fine margins yet if Eastwood doesn't make the error for the goal we arguably come away with 3 points.

For all the talk of enjoying Conteh before he gets snapped up, I think we might find Rodgers has interested suitors before long. He was superb today.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 128
mariner91
August 19, 2023, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Football is really pretty easy isn’t it? All you have to do is impose your own best on the opposition all the time and at no point will they try to combat it or play around it. Doesn’t matter how good they are or what their manager plans to do. Then you win. Simple stuff for simple minds.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 128
male private Nale
August 19, 2023, 11:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from grimsby pete
I can not believe the gloom merchants on here .

Look we have played 3 home games won 1 drawn 2 let in 1 goal .

Just played one of the best sides in our division and some are still not happy.

I said after our 1st game don't judge the team until we have played 10 or more games.

Yes we all like to win most games but it does not happen just ask Wrexham fans.

They are finding things a bit different now they are back in the league.

With all their better paid players they are no better than us.

Would hold your thoughts a little longer on Wrexham as I remember everyone saying similar after Stockport's start compared to ours this time last season. It isn't how you start a season it is how you finish one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 128
HarrogateMariner
August 19, 2023, 11:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from LondonMariner43
It’s clear from the PH interview that he sees this team as WIP and he is confident he can get more out of them.  Although we kept a lot of players from last season, most of the first team is new signings and on 2-3 year contracts.  It’s clear PH thinks he can get these players to be successful but it’s not going to happen in 4 games.

Exactly this. We are 4 games in. It will take time for everything to come together. Some will not like it but since promotion we have played 50 league 2 matches. Without the finance the likes of Wrexham and Stockport have, for a club like ours, it is highly unlikely we walk to promotion after such a short time in the league. It's all about small improvements bit by bit. Some of you won't accept this but it's the reality, and you can bet your house this will be the main message behind the scenes from the board to Hurst.

One other thing to add- again not a popular opinion for many, but the first target is survival. Obviously a long way to go, but already I feel very confident we will be far from away from a relegation battle. Not saying we should just settle for this - far from it, but it's always dangerous to wish for something else when there is a potential far worse outcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 128
tashee69
August 20, 2023, 12:31am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +959
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Azimuth
This is not a good point, nor is it acceptable to think this is a good result at home, we were playing Mansfield Town not Man City.
Outplayed for 75 Mins at Blundell Park is simply not good enough.

And people need to realise that we are not Man City either
We’ve spent 7 of the last 13 seasons in non league, due to mismanagement. We are not going to get back to the championship in a few seasons. It’s going to take time.
The same old posters would still be moaning if we got back there and wasn’t hammering teams week in week out.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 128
Hagrid
August 20, 2023, 1:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,433
Gold Stars: 536

Yep and Hurst lets them, he doesn't attack teams and the few times he does are the times when we are the better side. Just like in the Salford game midweek, we attacked them for 90 minutes and didn't let them back in once bar one or two moments, compared to today, we attacked Mansfield at the start and didn't let them have the ball when they did get the ball we harassed them and their passing was poor and all over the place (same for the County game when we pressed and harrassed them) we scored and then slowly drifted deeper and deeper for the next 20 minutes, let them back in and then let them control the game for the next 70. Hurst is toothless. If there was ever a game to go at Mansfield it was today, we're the home side, at practically full strength and they were weakened and showing it at the start, but thats fine, we'll have another season with what? 6 home wins all season.

You know nothing of what Hurst is or isnt. You know we have no divine right to dominate a game dont you?

I wasnt there today but I took a 1-1 draw as a good point, come on here and its a meltdown. Embarrasing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 128
CSLM
August 20, 2023, 2:41am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +644
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Hagrid

You know nothing of what Hurst is or isnt. You know we have no divine right to dominate a game dont you?

I wasnt there today but I took a 1-1 draw as a good point, come on here and its a meltdown. Embarrasing

It is a good point.
Clearly we were second best and lucky not to lose the game but it isn't surprising. They have quality throughout.

We have lots of things that we can improve on but we are clearly better than last season. To Those questioning if we'll have this kind of budget again I'd say yes we will. 2 or 3 of the signings are worth far more than what we paid already.

I do agree there is a concern that we don't create enough.
Rose is quality but needs some help.
Usually I think we need to go for it a bit more but today we just about got it right, well as we got away with it just about.

1 win, 2 draws, 1 defeat against the teams we have played is nothing to be sniffed at. Definitely areas that need work but we are progressing and we have some real quality now.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season, very competitive league, who knows.............?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 128
lukeo
August 20, 2023, 3:47am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,378
Gold Stars: 149
Very good point against a team that should and probably will be battling it out for the top 3 spots.
I felt overall everyone did their jobs well, Waterfall the only 1 in my opinion that looked a bit off the pace. He's a good league 2 player but he will struggle against the better sides in the league.
Conteh wasn't as fluent as he has been but he's set such a high standard yet he probably still gets my motm. I felt holohan played well also.
Overall I think it was a good point. Yes they dominated very large periods but come May I think this isn't a game we will look back on and feel it was 2 points dropped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 128
DB
August 20, 2023, 6:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
12 days ago we played Mansfield in a cup game and was dreadful by most accounts. I managed to make the game yesterday and was not expecting what happened. Normally we have been slow starters but was quick off the blocks and took the lead with a cracking goal which would have had Lineker & co drooling.

In those first 20 mins, we were in ascendance but Mansfield slowly crawled back into the game. They came out stronger in the second half, no doubt motivated by Clough, but we matched them only to give away a ridiculous goal. 1-1 was on balance a fair result but I think that once our team has a few more games together to gel then we will be a force in League 2.

Mansfield are one of the hot favourites for promotion and we more or less matched them, so we have everything to look forward to and nobody to fear.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 128
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.